HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Game 47: Non-GDT: Who Cares Edition | 1/16/14 | 7:00 p.m. MST

Old
01-17-2014, 11:36 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabound View Post
Did my man Chip,have a good game? Unable to see the game. Glad to hear that they won in regulation. go Yotes!
He did. His first in a very long time. Hopefully the healthy scratches knocked him back to reality and reminded him that his NHL career will last only as long as he's the hardest working player on his NHL team.

01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Any chance Hanzal gets a call from Shanahan today?

Martin Hanzal: Secretly the dirtiest player in the league?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=78184397
Canucks dove all 3 times.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Canucks dove all 3 times.
Not much here other then normal penalties, which Hanzel took less of them. I was reading the Canuck board about their team after this game, and wow, they are more down on their team then all the posts we have had the last week or so on ours. Funny how on the trade board, everyone over values their players and on their own threads, bash the same players. Like yelling at your kid and telling everyone how great he is..

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Not much here other then normal penalties, which Hanzel took less of them. I was reading the Canuck board about their team after this game, and wow, they are more down on their team then all the posts we have had the last week or so on ours. Funny how on the trade board, everyone over values their players and on their own threads, bash the same players. Like yelling at your kid and telling everyone how great he is..
Yet they are above us in the standings. It's crazy how a little bad streak can bring a team base down so quickly. I'm just thankful we are still very much in the thick of things after this recent stretch for us. If we can manage to turn it around and go on a little run, we might be able to put some distance between us and the other teams fighting for the 8th spot. We still have a couple games in hand.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
pacerhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Boedker was flying out there. You can really see the confidence in his game from his skating.
Boedker has gotten really good at getting the puck off the side boards and moving it into the slot.

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:23 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Yet they are above us in the standings. It's crazy how a little bad streak can bring a team base down so quickly. I'm just thankful we are still very much in the thick of things after this recent stretch for us. If we can manage to turn it around and go on a little run, we might be able to put some distance between us and the other teams fighting for the 8th spot. We still have a couple games in hand.
Agreed, and I still think the key is Smith. He played well in relief of Greiss 2 games ago, played well against the Blues, and well again last night. 2 GA or less and we should gather more points, I hope it continues. I also think our top 4 D staying healthy will be huge, as those 2 pairings are getting 50 minutes a game. I hope our PK was better, looked like it, and hope it was not a mirage because the Canucks are struggling and were gassed last night. Fingers crossed

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He did. His first in a very long time. Hopefully the healthy scratches knocked him back to reality and reminded him that his NHL career will last only as long as he's the hardest working player on his NHL team.
I disagree. I don't think he played like he is capable of at all. He made a couple decent offensive zone plays keeping the puck alive, but yet, so did Kennedy. He wasn't detrimental, but he wasn't really beneficial. In order for us to be completely capitalizing on him, he needs to play the role of a hard hitting, energy player with some offensive upside. This team needs a player who can spark us with a big hit, or a timely scrap. I have yet to see that from anybody on the Coyotes, let alone him.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:39 PM
PhoPhan

Nash said yesterday that Vrbata and Hanzal like playing with Kennedy because of the "little things" he does to keep plays alive. I have no idea if he actually heard that from Hanzal or if he was just projecting his own views onto the situation, but at any rate, I wonder if Chipchura wouldn't better for that role.

Given Vrbata's massive scoring slump, though, I bet a competent offensive player would be even better.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He was okay. To be fair, I did say "hopefully" concerning the other stuff. I agree with you. We need some SERIOUS jam.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:53 PM
zerekstar

Hanzal gor fined $5,000 for the incident with Booth

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hanzal is tall. When he puts his hands up to protect himself, they don't hit guys in the chest, they hit them in the face. It sucks, but it is what it is. Hanzal did what's natural. Booth had him lined up, and Hanzal threw his hands out in front of him.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:00 PM
awfulwaffle

Better than a suspension. How many times has Hanzal been suspended? Sucks for the guy because he is so freakin tall compared to other players. I mean if he stuck his arms up if Kennedy was coming after him, he would be above Kennedy's head.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Hanzal is tall. When he puts his hands up to protect himself, they don't hit guys in the chest, they hit them in the face. It sucks, but it is what it is. Hanzal did what's natural. Booth had him lined up, and Hanzal threw his hands out in front of him.
Agreed, but the responsibility is on him to not hurt people. Sloppiness is negligence, and he's going to get dinged for it. He's under more scrutiny every time, too.

When he was actually allowed on the ice last night, I thought he looked great, as he has for most of this season, especially with the puck. I suspect he may have gotten a lot stronger in the past year and hasn't quite figured out how to temper that yet. He doesn't know his own strength, basically. There are certain types of shoving and jostling that a wiry guy can get away with and a stockier guy cannot.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
AndrewYotes

I'm worried about that in the future. Hanzal is a repeat offender. One more bad "headshot" by him and the league could ban him for 5+ games. Having Hanzal in the line-up has been as historically important to our win rate as having Z.

AndrewYotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPoni23 View Post
On the non performance front...

There was about 3 solid instances where Smith could've flopped. But he stayed in there without any theatrics, even making saves seconds after being run into, and a few after losing his stick. I was extremely impressed. Hopefully he's turned a page. I noticed 1 or 2 times in Winnipeg as well where he could've played up the contact but instead stayed focused in the play.

If he wants to pop someone in the head after being run into I'm all for it. Just don't dive!

Keep up the good work Smitty!

That's what I saw and was equally pleased by. LIke he was serious about actually playing hockey or something!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
azcanuck

Quote:
I think there is an element like that for sure. People who disagree obviously have not played the game. hockey is a game of reacting. When your tall even if you hit someone with your're shoulder it might be to someone's head.

That being said Hanzal is a chippy guy who takes bad penalties far too often. I like to see him use his body and be aggressive but he takes far too many lazy penalties.

azcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
yotesreign

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander
Can somebody tell me what the hell is going on with mike smith? Why is he playing so poorly?

Quote:
Because he sucks.

So, that superstition thing about "it's only weird if it doesn't work..." you going to publish that before the next game too?

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Ted Mosby

I came across this photo from the game. Talk about a pack mentality!

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 12:48 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
I came across this photo from the game. Talk about a pack mentality!

Yeah... nice look at Korpi's cross check he got two minutes for.

A lot of penalties.... one ref had the Canucks/Ducks game the night before the other came from our game with the Blues two days prior.

Think they were anticipating a nasty game and other than letting the 'Nucks run through Smitty in his crease several times..... called it accordingly.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 10:29 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
I'm worried about that in the future. Hanzal is a repeat offender. One more bad "headshot" by him and the league could ban him for 5+ games. Having Hanzal in the line-up has been as historically important to our win rate as having Z.
Hanzal is a repeat offender and Brown is not. That should tell you everything you need to know about the whole suspension process.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Hanzal is a repeat offender and Brown is not. That should tell you everything you need to know about the whole suspension process.
Brown should be a repeat offender.

Shanahan