HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you feel about this team's drafting?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Rangers' drafting?
Love it. They made the best choices with what they had. 2 2.08%
Like it. Could've made some better choices but I'm overall pleased. 51 53.13%
Meh. They've made some good choices, but some bad ones also. 32 33.33%
Dislike it. I don't agree with a lot of decisions they've made, and it's hurt the team. 6 6.25%
Hate it. Our drafting has been bad, and I don't trust Gordie Clark to make good decisions. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
How do you feel about this team's drafting?

It's been open debate and there are a lot of differing opinions on how this team has drafted, the selections they made, who they didn't pick, etc. Overall, how do you feel about the Rangers drafting since the 05 lockout?

Edit: Try to keep the non-obvious hindsight bias to a minimum. Like, is it necessary to be mad that they drafted Miller over Saad? Or MDZ over Eberle? Were those two really can't miss picks that this team **** the bed on? Keep those picks that you don't agree with in mind.

Last edited by Raspewtin: 01-16-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Like it. Could've made some better choices but I'm overall pleased.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Good, not great.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:24 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Considering that we've been picking in the mid to late teens mostly, it's difficult to be disappointed with the results.

I would rate the drafting as average to slightly above average.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Ail
k.

Meh.

This team has one of the largest blank checks in the league to spend on building a winner. It should be spending more of that capital on scouting because despite developing some safe picks and role players this franchise hasn't managed to find one diamond in the rough since Sather has been here. If you don't plan on getting consistent top 10 picks your scouting needs to be top tier. Not just for drafting but also for trades. McD is the only home run scouting has managed to hit.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:35 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Meh.

This team has one of the largest blank checks in the league to spend on building a winner. It should be spending more of that capital on scouting because despite developing some safe picks and role players this franchise hasn't managed to find one diamond in the rough since Sather has been here. If you don't plan on getting consistent top 10 picks your scouting needs to be top tier. Not just for drafting but also for trades. McD is the only home run scouting has managed to hit.
The best goaltender of the last 10 years in the seventh round isn't an epic home-run? What GM has had a better diamond in the rough than that?

Fwiw they've done a good job in my opinion. I question quite a few draft day picks, but it hasn't been glaringly worse than any other GM misses over the same period.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
The best goaltender of the last 10 years in the seventh round isn't an epic home-run? What GM has had a better diamond in the rough than that?

Fwiw they've done a good job in my opinion. I question quite a few draft day picks, but it hasn't been glaringly worse than any other GM misses over the same period.
In the OP it says since the lockout. Lundqvist doesn't count.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

A team who's scouting I absolutely envy is Tampa's. Look at the team they've managed to rebuild in two years. They snag Tyler Johnson as an UDFA, he wins the AHL MVP award, and is now one of their top centers with Stamkos out. Ondrej Palat? 7th round pick in 2011, he's already one of their top defensive forwards, he gave the team fits last game. Fast, gritty, hard worker, only 22. They snag Ben Bishop from Ottawa for Cory Conacher, who they were able to sell high on, and probably recognized that a lot of his NHL success had to do with Stamkos and MSL. He hasn't done much with Ottawa at all. Everyone thought the deal they signed Valtteri Filppula to was ridiculous, including me. He's been everything they'd hoped for and more. He's one of the three reasons they are still competitive without Stamkos. They get big bodied top 6 winger Alex Killorn in the 3rd round of 2007, he's been awesome for them since last year. Nikita Kucherov looks to be a great goal scorer in this league, 2nd round of 2011. Radko Gudas is playing 20+ minutes a game for the team, hitting everything that moves, and playing solid defense. 3rd round pick in 2010. They grab all these diamonds in the rough like it's easy. They're a small market team but I'd go as far to say as they have the best modern scouting in the NHL. I am incredibly jealous of them, as an organization.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

Lundqvist is not on Sather.

Also as great as he has been by the end of his career he could be the worst thing to ever happen to this team in hindsight. If they continue to fail at building the team around him, his tenure here will be forever remembered at the greatest Rangers goalie who never won anything and was wasted thanks to Glen Sather. Part of that will rest on their inability to draft the necessary offensive talent to support him.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
A team who's scouting I absolutely envy is Tampa's. Look at the team they've managed to rebuild in two years. They snag Tyler Johnson as an UDFA, he wins the AHL MVP award, and is now one of their top centers with Stamkos out. Ondrej Palat? 7th round pick in 2011, he's already one of their top defensive forwards, he gave the team fits last game. Fast, gritty, hard worker, only 22. They snag Ben Bishop from Ottawa for Cory Conacher, who they were able to sell high on, and probably recognized that a lot of his NHL success had to do with Stamkos and MSL. He hasn't done much with Ottawa at all. Everyone thought the deal they signed Valtteri Filppula to was ridiculous, including me. He's been everything they'd hoped for and more. He's one of the three reasons they are still competitive without Stamkos. They get big bodied top 6 winger Alex Killorn in the 3rd round of 2007, he's been awesome for them since last year. Nikita Kucherov looks to be a great goal scorer in this league, 2nd round of 2011. Radko Gudas is playing 20+ minutes a game for the team, hitting everything that moves, and playing solid defense. 3rd round pick in 2010. They grab all these diamonds in the rough like it's easy. They're a small market team but I'd go as far to say as they have the best modern scouting in the NHL. I am incredibly jealous of them, as an organization.
Seriously. Every time you turn around someone is walking on to their roster and making an impact. It's sickening.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Seriously. Every time you turn around someone is walking on to their roster and making an impact. It's sickening.
And they still have Vasilevisky, Koekkoek, Drouin, Namestnikov, Gusev, and Erne on the way. Jesus christ.

It's no wonder they have such a dedicated fanbase in a place like Tampa. They have an owner who cares about winning, and his fans. A GM who knows a damn thing about hockey, scouting that is the envy of the world, and a very, very good team coming up. Even when they're sucking there's still hope because they have class management.

Smart FA signings (Carle, Filppula), smart drafting, AND good management? Where the HELL do I sign?

Old
01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
OverTheCap

The drafting has been decent but there's room for improvement. It's no secret that the team has struggled offensively for some time and if we had drafted better/differently, it wouldn't be a consistent problem year after year.

Tampa has done a great job with scouting and so has St. Louis, and they have done so without relying heavily on the free agent market. They've made solid trades (trading for Steen, Shattenkirk, Jay-Bo) and have drafted well (Backes, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwarz). Their defense is probably their biggest strength, and they have players who excel at both defending and moving the puck (the Rangers can learn a few lessons from this because 2 of their 3 best defensemen have limited offensive ability).

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
i still wanna know why Islanders waived Nate Thompson... that was stupid roster move. Bolts claimed him and he turned into a solid 4th line PK player.. a more skilled version of Dom Moore with a bit more grit.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:17 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

I'm very happy with the drafting post lockout, however the one pick I didn't like at the time and don't like now was the McIlrath pick. I'm sure he's gonna be a great player but not the type of skillset you use a 10th overall on. Fowler was the guy I was waiting for Bettman to call out, I won't lie and say I had Tarasenko on my radar at 10

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Staal
Sauer
Cliche
Dupont
Flatt
Pyatt (Tom)

Sanguinetti
Anisimov
Hillier
Kveton
Zaborsky

Cherepanov (RIP)
Lafluer
Campbell
Hagelin

MDZ
Stepan
Grachev
Kundratek
Weise

Kreider
Werek
Bourque
Horak

McIlrath
Thomas
Yogan
Fasth

Miller
Fogarty
St. Croix
McColgan

Skjei
Nieves
Anderson
Spelling

Tambellini
Buch
Duclair
Graves

Staal, Sauer, Cherapanov, Anisimov, MDZ, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, McIlrath, Skjei

That project/projected to be Rangers. Sauer was a health risk going into the draft, we took the risk. Cherry wasn't a health risk, but he slipped because his KHL allegiance. He was planning on coming over the year following his death but he was a risk too. I loved Anisimov but bias aside he's a what, 35-45 point player - 3rd line production. Staal has been great when healthy. MDZ had a lot of potential but the organization rushed him. Torts tried to mold him into something he wasn't. AV wants that back. His head isn't clear right now. This next season and a half is pivotal for the reminder of his career. He could bust or succeed. Love Stepan, but again bias aside, where has consistency been for every year besides last year? Kreider could be looking up at a 55-70 ceiling, consistently, if he plays up to his standards. Too early to tell about the final 3 I mentioned.

No bottom 6 grinders/energy/glue guys. 1 top line player, Kreider, who was mistreated and nearly ruined by our f.o and past coach's tactics. 1 top 2 defenseman, another top 4 defenseman who's risk became an unfortunate reality. A bottom line defender with the potential to reach 2nd pair or to fall into a 7th defender utility role for the rest of his career. 3rd line center/winger who never learned to use his large body frame and plateaud at mediocre production.

I would say, at best, mediocre drafting.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Sanguinetti over Giroux

Jessiman over Brown Parise Perry etc

it shows that Sather cant draft... heck this goes back to the 1990s with his days with Edmonton. Sather is not great at scouting talent.

Jason Bonsignore 4th overall over guys like Jeff Frisen, Mattias Ohlund.. and Mike Watt 32ed overall over Patrick Elias in 1994

1995 Steve Kelly 6th overall over Shane Doan, Petr Skykora, Denis Gauthier

in 1996 Boyd Devereaux 6th overall over Derrick Morris, Danius Zuburus, Marco Sturm, Matt Cullen

in 1997 Michel Riesen 14th overall over Scott Hannan, Brendan Morrow

in 1998 Michael Henrich 13th overall over Simon Gagne, Scott Gomez, Robyn Regehr

it goes to show that while Sather cant draft, he did get a little better but at the same time, this guy got luck in Edmonton.. he cant draft quality talent at all.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Blurt Vision

Think they could have done more in 2nd rounds...also wanted Bjugstad what if they had drafted him, where would be now? I know DMc is a special talent but how many Cup winners don't have a guy like him?

Big issue not much discussed was losing Sauer. What if he had been in the ECF?

Also still feel that Thomas and Tambo picks have too much of a hint of nepotism...

Blurt Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurt Vision View Post
Think they could have done more in 2nd rounds...also wanted Bjugstad what if they had drafted him, where would be now? I know DMc is a special talent but how many Cup winners don't have a guy like him?

Big issue not much discussed was losing Sauer. What if he had been in the ECF?

Also still feel that Thomas and Tambo picks have too much of a hint of nepotism...
I said it before the 05 draft and I said it after and I'll continuing saying the Mike Sauer pick was bad. He was a good looking prospect but the red flags on the injury front should have been a factor to a team with a very thin cupboard. And we had just taken Staal in round one with Centerman Paul Stastny sitting their in round 2 with his bloodlines and fantastic freshman year at Denver.

Passing on talented Centermen has been a real problem for this organization. 2010 taking Tarasenko, Bjugstad or Schwartz at #10 then take a Dman in round 2 instead of Thomas. Personally I was all on board for trading our first 3 picks in that draft to move up for Johansen, to me that was the time to gamble with 'the core' getting ready to enter their prime years.

And though I liked the 2013 draft minus Tambo, we gambled in late rounds on guys like Thomas Spelling or Mitch Gaulton or lunkheads like Randy McNaught or a huge list of late round Euro busts in Slats first few seasons in NY.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Drafting has been OK.

Overrated and Redundant are the two words that come to mind

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not enough success in the first round, I would say.

01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Honestly, I think our scouting staff has done a pretty decent job in recent years. If anything, we should be angry at our GM.

We haven't had a full complement of draft picks since 2009, since our moron GM keeps trading them away for the likes of John Scott and Ryane Clowe.

6 picks (1,2,4,5,6,7)

6 picks (1,3,4,5,5,6)

4 picks (1,2,4,5)

5 picks (3,3,3,4,6)

Our scouting staff has been pretty successful at getting NHLers out of every draft. Are they 1st liners? Rarely, but they can't afford to get nothing with so few picks.

Tampa Bay over the same period of time....

8 picks (1,3,3,3,4,4,6,7)

6 picks (1,2,5,6,7,7)

8 picks (1,1,2,2,3,4,6,7)

6 picks (1,2,5,6,7,7)

NYR has had 21 picks total from 2010-2013. TBL has had 28. 33% more draft picks gives the scouting staff a ton more leeway to take high risk, high reward chances. Lay blame where it's due: the front office.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Drafting is one thing. Its been slightly better than average imo. I think we could all agree on the questionable ones. Bluenote hit on the head regarding Stasny.

Scouting is another. Sather and the Rangers have put too much emphasis on European scouting, specifically Russian over Sathers tenure. And I think that Sather influences the decisions made in the draft as he loves the human interest story, going against the grain so to speak. He likes to be different and not go for the safe pick. Hes part of the process.

I think that where the scouting lacks severely is inside the NHL. Giving Gomez, Drury, Redden and Richards (among others) those contracts. Did the Rangers scouts have any input into that or was it overridden by Sather? It may be more of a question of GM influence and letting your scouts do their job. Thats been troublesome for the Rangers.

On the flipside they've been great scouting trading partners landing guys like McDonagh and Prust. So things tend to even out a little during his tenure. Its just ashame that for every right there was a wrong and the drafts, while decent werent anything spectacular.

So what you get is what we have. A mediocre team good enough to compete, but without a conference finals appearance. Most times you need to get bad, real bad before you can get real good - and that usually includes firing a GM and resetting your front office. Not here.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Average at best. They have done a decent job finding 2nd-3rd liners/2nd-3rd pairing guys, but they haven't done a good job finding top notch guys

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Blurt Vision

If the Rangers are going to draft a goalie please let it be a guy who handles the puck like Talbot. Such an awesome talent at that position and maybe the only skill goalies can't pick up later in the development cycle.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Blurt Vision

On Sauer, did he have concussion issues while in juniors?