HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Synthetic Ice?

Old
01-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Synthetic Ice?

Sorry if this has been asked, I can't use the search function.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Seems like few companies are making it now. Might be a good idea for outdoor games in warmer weather areas...

How close is this stuff to real ice? Specifically puck friction and stopping on it.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Branden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked, I can't use the search function.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Seems like few companies are making it now. Might be a good idea for outdoor games in warmer weather areas...

How close is this stuff to real ice? Specifically puck friction and stopping on it.
In my opinion, I hate it. It's a pain to pass the puck on, and it really makes your skating slow down.

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Sureshot
Thumbs up, soldier!

Definitely more friction than regular ice, so you don't glide as well, plus you feel like you have to put a little more effort in. It also dulls your skate blades faster.

The other annoying thing is it creates plastic shavings, which get all over you if you fall.

It's an OK substitute where no ice is available, but personally I prefer inline on sport court in that situation.

Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
g04tm4n

Ok so you would rather choose playing inline on an "ice court" than using this instead? I have never been on synthetic ice, but was considering investing since we have so little rinks over here.

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Sureshot
Thumbs up, soldier!

I do personally, but someone of greater ability than myself may want to chip in with their comments.

Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:21 PM
TatarTangle

Awesome for goalies, not that good for anyone else.

The reason why I was so quick and explosive was from taking lessons on synthetic ice. Post to posts are extremely fun on that stuff.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:34 AM
shoeshine boy

I once had a teammate who had more money than God who had one of these in his back yard for his kids. it's been about 5 years so maybe they've improved synthetic ice but none of the things we did were as easy as the guy in the video made them look. hardest by far was going backwards. it did encourage proper form as you had to get a really good knee bend to really move.
I felt it was good for training if you had the cash and time needed for upkeep but I think it would be horrible for an actual game.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:06 AM
pelts35.com

I have a 12 x 20 installation in my basement for goalie training and I think it's great.

IMO the surface is about 75% of a fresh sheet of ice for adults (kids can fly on it just like a fresh sheet). The more you skate on it at once and the warmer your blades get the faster it gets.

It definitely dulls your blades (which is why I have a 2nd pair of blades that I swap out after a long training session).

I don't have any passing/shooting issues that Yeti mentioned.

The plastic shavings definitely suck. The worst part is if you track them onto wood floors it makes them extremely slippery.

Backwards skating is definitely harder, but if you train on it your on ice skating will definitely improve.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
g04tm4n

Interesting, thanks everyone. THe Upkeep that you mention, what kind of upkeep is there, besides cleaning it of plastic shavings?

Old
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
Interesting, thanks everyone. THe Upkeep that you mention, what kind of upkeep is there, besides cleaning it of plastic shavings?
Depending on what brand you get, you may need to apply a lubricant every so often. Some of the new generation stuff has the lubricant infused in the ice so you don't have to apply anything.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Beezeral

Other than being used for goalie training, it is terrible.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 10:28 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Other than being used for goalie training, it is terrible.
Why is it so good for goalie training though?

Old
01-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
Why is it so good for goalie training though?
Because it is cheap and easy to set up a 10 ft x 10 ft square of synthetic ice in your garage to practice on.

nothing is better than real ice. I am just saying synthetic ice's only logical use in hockey is for goalie training, the movements are confined to a small space so the negative effects of skating on synthetic ice is greatly reduced compared to a skater

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 10:48 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Because it is cheap and easy to set up a 10 ft x 10 ft square of synthetic ice in your garage to practice on.

nothing is better than real ice. I am just saying synthetic ice's only logical use in hockey is for goalie training, the movements are confined to a small space so the negative effects of skating on synthetic ice is greatly reduced compared to a skater
Of course, that makes sense, thanks.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Cheap? Not for the better synthetic options.

I think we've had the discussion about the "negative effects on skating on synthetic ice" so there's no need to rehash it.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 01-17-2014 at 11:30 AM.