HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire on team 1200

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 07:34 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire on team 1200

Hey everyone,
Did any of you hear Pierre on the team this morning? I missed it, but on the 20/20 update they said "Pierre McGuire tells the Team that Ottawa is hotly pursuing Martin Lapointe".

What did Pierre say?

Thanks

Old
08-04-2005, 08:02 AM
pt_mck

Read in the Citizen this morning that Mucks said they were negotiating yesterday but Sens fell out of the running

Old
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
DarthKoRn

Thats funny, no mention at all in the Sun.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Egil

Lapointe signs in Chicago for $2.4 a year for 3 years. No wonder Mucks bowed out. Every signing DeVries and Smolinski look better and better. I don't think we would be very happy had we bought them out.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:31 AM
peacefrogdog

Lapointe

TSN reports Lapointe signed with Chicago at 3 yr, 7.2 million.

Way too high of a price for Ottawa to spend right now. Rather see the money used to sign any of Hossa/havlat/Redden/Chara/Spezza/Fisher to longer term contracts.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:34 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I definitely agree that $2.4 million per year was out of Ottawa's comfort zone for Lapointe, although it seems every gritty forward gets paid more then we can afford. It's probably money better spent on resigning Hossa and Havlat.

I just wish Ottawa would do something to excite the fan base a little - even an RFA signing would be great!

GO SENS GO!!!

Old
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Egil

At some point we will start to get RFA's signed. But remember, in a normal year, RFA's rarely got signed before the end of July (a month into free agency), and many will end up in Arbitration (which won't start until the midle of August). Expecting all our RFA's signed isn't a realistic goal.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:41 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Expecting all our RFA's signed isn't a realistic goal.
1 would suffice right now!

Old
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Roy G Biv*

McGuire was saying that teams are screwing themselves over for the next 4 years by giving out these huge contracts. The cap might come down due to lowered revenues, so these GM's will have no room to work. Teams without bloated contracts will be in the best shape for trades, signings etc.

Muckler is playing it right.

I wouldn't mind a trade to bring in a legit centre though. Maybe later in the season from a non-playoff team?

Old
08-04-2005, 10:10 AM
mogilny_2002

you guys are in good shape, i wouldn't worry too much about nabbin people. youll exploit the lack of red line. Not much changes are needed. Oh my woeful leafs, hopefully we rebuild at this point.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny_2002
you guys are in good shape, i wouldn't worry too much about nabbin people. youll exploit the lack of red line. Not much changes are needed. Oh my woeful leafs, hopefully we rebuild at this point.
I know 60% of leaf nation is going crazy, and I love it, but jfj is doing the right thing. It pains me to say that.

However: He should have no quams about giving out 1 year contracts to UFA's to ensure the Leafs make the playoffs.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
DarthKoRn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
At some point we will start to get RFA's signed. But remember, in a normal year, RFA's rarely got signed before the end of July (a month into free agency), and many will end up in Arbitration (which won't start until the midle of August). Expecting all our RFA's signed isn't a realistic goal.
Well, at least most of them will get the 1 year deals, but Id like to see Chara and Hossa snagged for long term contracts along with Alfie.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn
Well, at least most of them will get the 1 year deals, but Id like to see Chara and Hossa snagged for long term contracts along with Alfie.
You can't start signing everybody to long-term deals, because if the cap drops, then you're in trouble.

Lapointe at the price he went for, is not worth it to us. The one guy left I'd really like us to sign would be Vladimir Orszagh. He's a Slovak, and loves to play in traffic, and works really hard. For whatever reason, he's an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps he is staying in Europe, I don't know, but he's a guy to check out.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
You can't start signing everybody to long-term deals, because if the cap drops, then you're in trouble.

Lapointe at the price he went for, is not worth it to us. The one guy left I'd really like us to sign would be Vladimir Orszagh. He's a Slovak, and loves to play in traffic, and works really hard. For whatever reason, he's an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps he is staying in Europe, I don't know, but he's a guy to check out.
I agree. Neiminen has been signed. I'd love to see Orszagh, barring that his knee is in good shape.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:50 AM
The Hamburglar

Quote:

Orszagh was not qualified because he had a very serious injury and probably won't start the season. I think he tore his MCL and ACL. The earliest he would probably come back is December-January maybe..depends how rehab goes. I wouldn't want the Sens to spend cash on damaged goods.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
The one guy left I'd really like us to sign would be Vladimir Orszagh. He's a Slovak, and loves to play in traffic, and works really hard. For whatever reason, he's an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps he is staying in Europe, I don't know, but he's a guy to check out.
Didn't he suffer a pretty bad injury last year? I know that there are questions as to whether or not he's back to 100%, which is why he was cut loose...

He would be a nice addition, if healthy.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG
Orszagh was not qualified because he had a very serious injury and probably won't start the season. I think he tore his MCL and ACL. The earliest he would probably come back is December-January maybe..depends how rehab goes. I wouldn't want the Sens to spend cash on damaged goods.
I figured there was something I'd missed.

That being said, I would not be against the Senators giving the league minimum to a guy like Deadmarsh or Orszagh, with the league bonusses that Allison is rumoured to be getting from Toronto.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
I figured there was something I'd missed.

That being said, I would not be against the Senators giving the league minimum to a guy like Deadmarsh or Orszagh, with the league bonusses that Allison is rumoured to be getting from Toronto.
Yah, Orszagh tore his MCL and ACL at the World Championships... Nashville didn't qualify him at 800k because he'd be on the IR.

Is Deadmarsh still alive?

Old
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
The Hamburglar

Deadmarsh's agent said not to long ago that Adam might officially retire.

Old
08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
sensens

Not surprisingly, the players in their prime are looking for longer terms deals... the best fit for Ottawa will be a veteran player who would be more willing to take a 1-year deal in exchange for a legitimate Cup opportunity. I still say that Vincent Damphousse is a very real possibility for the 2nd line centre job, and increasingly I'm wondering if those rumours about Messier might not flare up again. I certainly wouldn't object to Messier on the 4th line for $500K.

Closed Thread