HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line Combos?

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Pepper

vCash: 500
39M does *NOT* include insurances etc.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:14 AM
MojoJojo

I am seriously thinking that maybe trading Handzus right now isnt such a bad idea. Heres the scenario, realistically we have 6 mil to sign KJ, Gagne, and Esche. This is doable, barely. KJ-2.5, Gagne-2.0, Esche 1.5 would probably get us right under the cap with a 23 man roster and no room to breathe. The problem is what if one of the three main RFA's wants more money? Each could almost certainly command much more than that as a free agent, and there is a real possibility of another team putting an offer sheet out on one or more of them if we dont lock them up. 7 mil is probably much closer to what they should get between them, and we should have an extra mil on hand to prevent anyone from making an offer and to have for later trades.

If we trade Handzus + Brashear for a good winger, lets say Rafi Torres signed for less than 2 mil (say 1.5-1.75), and sign a cheap fourth line defensive center, we save more than enough to get our RFA's signed and solve certain roster problems,

Gagne - Forsberg - Carter
Kapanen - Primeau - Knuble
Torres - Richards - Radivojevic
Sharp - UFA - Stevenson
Sim, Umberger

Johnson - Rathje
Pitkanen - Hatcher
Seidenberg - Desjardins
Therien

Esche
Nittymaki

total about 38 mil.

The main benefit to such a line up is Richards gets out of fourth line Hell. 3rd line center is his ideal spot, and we improve ourselves at wing. Our depth is still excellent, and we have a little cap room. Torres might not be the guy we get, in fact with the signing of Peca the Oil probably have no more interest in Handzus. There are plenty of other wingers we could target though with such a package, that would serve the same purpose.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:04 PM
luv_canadian_hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
Richards and Carter will probably get a chance to play all over the board at first to see where their comfort zone is. Though i think Richards will be used as a checker(PK) at first and Carter as a scorer(PP), but theres no telling. these guys are some great prospects and should get a good amount of playing time everywhere except on D. Due to Carter's excellent track record in the past year I think Richards is getting overlooked, imo Richards will be just as solid of a forward as Carter.
exactly ! look how well he played with the phantoms!

Old
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
SO far alot of people are saying Gagne-Forsberg-Carter as the top line....now that Forsberg is here and since he is my favourite player I am gonna cheer for the flyers in the east, but is Jeff Carter a pure sniper/Finisher ala Milan Hejduk? Because Tanguay and Gagne are pretty similiar in style of play so I dont think thats gonna be a problem for foppa, but is everyone set on Carter riding shotgun?

Old
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
mercury

Carter is a great passer, but is more of a scorer than Forsberg (or, to be more fair to Peter, not as tremendous a playmaker). Forsberg has never scored more than 30 goals in a season. I would not be surprised if Carter got that many THIS season being centered by Forsberg. However, it remains to be seen if Carter makes the switch to wing as easily as Gagne did. If it is not working out, I could see Handzus being dealt later in the season for a winger, and Carter moving into the #2 center spot.

Old
08-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I am seriously thinking that maybe trading Handzus right now isnt such a bad idea. Heres the scenario, realistically we have 6 mil to sign KJ, Gagne, and Esche. This is doable, barely. KJ-2.5, Gagne-2.0, Esche 1.5 would probably get us right under the cap with a 23 man roster and no room to breathe. The problem is what if one of the three main RFA's wants more money? Each could almost certainly command much more than that as a free agent, and there is a real possibility of another team putting an offer sheet out on one or more of them if we dont lock them up. 7 mil is probably much closer to what they should get between them, and we should have an extra mil on hand to prevent anyone from making an offer and to have for later trades.

If we trade Handzus + Brashear for a good winger, lets say Rafi Torres signed for less than 2 mil (say 1.5-1.75), and sign a cheap fourth line defensive center, we save more than enough to get our RFA's signed and solve certain roster problems,

Gagne - Forsberg - Carter
Kapanen - Primeau - Knuble
Torres - Richards - Radivojevic
Sharp - UFA - Stevenson
Sim, Umberger

Johnson - Rathje
Pitkanen - Hatcher
Seidenberg - Desjardins
Therien

Esche
Nittymaki

total about 38 mil.

The main benefit to such a line up is Richards gets out of fourth line Hell. 3rd line center is his ideal spot, and we improve ourselves at wing. Our depth is still excellent, and we have a little cap room. Torres might not be the guy we get, in fact with the signing of Peca the Oil probably have no more interest in Handzus. There are plenty of other wingers we could target though with such a package, that would serve the same purpose.
I wouldn't be opposed to moving Handzus and Brashear for a winger, but I doubt it will because of salary problems. $8 million for 6 RFA's should get it done, and if it doesn't, Brashear will be the first to go.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Coburnfan05

My thoughts...

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Kapanen-Primeau-Richards
Brashear-Sharp-Umberger...Stevenson / Sim get's 4th line duty if we dump Brash.

Johnsson-Desjardins
Pitkanen-Rathje
Seidenberg-Hatcher

Esche
Nitty

Closed Thread