HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim signs Scott Niedermayer

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Wisent

vCash: 500
If Lou offered him the max why did he choose toplay for Anaheim for less? Not a knock against the Ducks, but they don't seem the stronger team of the two, so he is certainly not a cup-hunter there.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:23 AM
grapeshine

Sucks. Anaheim deserves Niedermayer about as much as they deserve a team.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY

This is grreat for Flyer fans

Old
08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

If we get Stevens and Rafi back, and then use some extra space to sign a 2nd line forward, I wouldn't be too upset. But man, seeing Scotty in a Duck jersey is just going to be weird. Guy's been here forever.

Old
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
If Lou offered him the max why did he choose toplay for Anaheim for less? Not a knock against the Ducks, but they don't seem the stronger team of the two, so he is certainly not a cup-hunter there.
Perhaps to play with his brother? Or because the weather is nice?

Players often times have many reasons for wanting to play in certain places.

Niedermayer already has his Cups so perhaps he is looking at something else at this stage in his career.

Old
joepeps

Quote:
took less to play with his brother.....

Toronto made a HUGE SIGNING...

Extended Carlton the Bear's contract and the water boys... 5 years 9.50 and hour...

Old
incawg

Quote:
To play with his brother. It was pretty widely speculated that Scott would only take less than market value to play in a) his hometown of Vancouver and b) with his brother

Old
Takeo

Quote:
Family.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
4 years 6.75
This is a good number, as far as overall league salary slotting goes. I'm glad to see his salary not go above $7M... I just wish that $6.75M was being paid by Jersey.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
To play with his brother. It was pretty widely speculated that Scott would only take less than market value to play in a) his hometown of Vancouver and b) with his brother
vancouver isn't his hometown, something canuck fans were never able to comprehend. Calgary is the nearest nhl team to Cranbrook.Cranbrook is as close to Vancouver as Seattle is to San Francisco.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Hova

Hope enjoys watching the playoffs with his brother from Cranbrook in April/May/June, he was never sincere about coming to Canada.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:28 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Wow, Sportsnet says that Lou offered $7.8m for 5 years... he must be crying.
So Scott took over $10 million less to live near his brother in sunny southern california rather than new jersey.

Quality of life decision. Nice to see.

reminds me of how shallow some players are, making tens of millions of dollars but moving from a team and city they profess to love simply because another team offered fractionally more (Doug Weight comes to mind when he turned down the Oilers offer to stay a few years ago).

Old
08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
vancouver isn't his hometown, something canuck fans were never able to comprehend. Calgary is the nearest nhl team to Cranbrook.Cranbrook is as close to Vancouver as Seattle is to San Francisco.
Actually, outside of Cranbook, he does consider vancouver his "hometown". He said this himself, so I think I'll take his word over yours. Just because you live closer to a city doesn't mean you associate yourself with it, something Flames fans were never able to understand.

Old
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Niedermayer was looking at California all along if he was gonna move. No surprise there.

Quote:
I have lived in Cranbrook. It is a B.C. town through and through. Endstop.

Seattle is closer to Canada than to another U.S. state but its residents identify themselves as 100% American. Same thing.

Vancouverites can claim Niedermayer as much as Houstonites can claim Seattle dwellers.

Old
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
reminds me of how shallow some players are, making tens of millions of dollars but moving from a team and city they profess to love simply because another team offered fractionally more (Doug Weight comes to mind when he turned down the Oilers offer to stay a few years ago).
Actually I think that was the difference for Weight was between 5 that the Oilers offered and 9 million. If by fraction you mean 9/5ths.

Cujo comes to mind though.

Old
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Epp was on the radio last night saying that they tried to make it work in Vancouver, and he wanted to go there, but the numbers didn't add up. Said that Nonis had told them the numbers he had to work with, and could not afford Scott anywhere near what he wanted.

But he did make it clear that they tried hard to make it work in Vancouver and that's where Scott wanted to go.

So however long the distance between Cranbrook and Vancouver is irrelevant... Scott has been saying for 2 yrs now that he was interested in Vancouver... during the WC after the 04 season, both were interviews and said they considered Vancouver their "home-town" team. It might be closer to Seattle than Cranbrook, but maybe you want to tell Scott that??

Old
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Epp was on the radio last night saying that they tried to make it work in Vancouver, and he wanted to go there, but the numbers didn't add up. Said that Nonis had told them the numbers he had to work with, and could not afford Scott anywhere near what he wanted.

But he did make it clear that they tried hard to make it work in Vancouver and that's where Scott wanted to go.

So however long the distance between Cranbrook and Vancouver is irrelevant... Scott has been saying for 2 yrs now that he was interested in Vancouver... during the WC after the 04 season, both were interviews and said they considered Vancouver their "home-town" team. It might be closer to Seattle than Cranbrook, but maybe you want to tell Scott that??
I"m not saying that Scott didn't want to go there, but this whole thing about going home was quite ridiculous.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
joepeps

Quote:
So Scott took over $10 million less to live near his brother in sunny southern california rather than new jersey.

not jesey.. Edmonton offered it...

Old
08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Bouchard

Quote:

Had to reply to this post...How is taking 10 million LESS to play hockey with his brother shallow? lol that is some crazy logic

Old
08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I"m not saying that Scott didn't want to go there, but this whole thing about going home was quite ridiculous.
like I said - tell Scott it's ridiculous... he's the one that connect Vancouver to "home-town team " in his own words.

Canuck fans naturally took that statement and ran with it... but the words weren't made up by wishful canuck fans, rather by Scott himself.

And it's not that odd either, considering he is a BC boy, and most people growing up in BC would identify another BC team as their home team, not the closest NHL team to where they live.

Old
chara

What a shocker!

I really thought the Flyers had the inside track on him.

Old
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
No it's not ridiculous. You don;t understand that a B.C. town is a B.C. town and no geographic proximity to some prairie town on the other side of the Rockies is gonna change that.

You simply don't "get it", which is okay. It makes perfect sense to us B.C.ers.

Old
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchard
Had to reply to this post...How is taking 10 million LESS to play hockey with his brother shallow? lol that is some crazy logic
He didn't mean Niedermayer, he meant Weight is shallow (as opposed to Niedermayer).

Old
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Bouchard

Quote:
He didn't mean Niedermayer, he meant Weight is shallow (as opposed to Niedermayer).
My apologies

Old
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Thank you. Too much skim reading around here... signing frenzy!

It took me an hour to recover my senses after hearing Pronger went to the Oil.

Closed Thread