HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim signs Scott Niedermayer

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
No it's not ridiculous. You don;t understand that a B.C. town is a B.C. town and no geographic proximity to some prairie town on the other side of the Rockies is gonna change that.

You simply don't "get it", which is okay. It makes perfect sense to us B.C.ers.
wanna check my location and repeat that last sentence?

Old
08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Bouchard

Yeah I did skim haha and I apologize, hard to keep up with everything going on round here.

Old
Fighter of Foo

ugh...this one hurts...but knowing Lou, there's a backup plan. Now if we lose Rafalski as well, then its time to panic. On the flipside, theres now that much more cap space for the devils to try to stopgap the hole that Elias will leave until he fully recovers, and if (hopefully when) Stevens re-signs, the defense is still solid. Unfortunately we might need to rely on the likes of Sean Brown more than I'd hope. I wonder who the next captain of the team is now??

I could've dealt with Neidermayer going to almost any other of the teams rumored to be in the bidding, but the Ducks?...How many breaks does one franchise get?...First it rides the oversize gear of Gigure to the SCF, then they almost win the draft lottery, and now gain one of the top 3 defenders in the game, b/c his brother plays there. This frustration is taking me back to the days when the good ol' green and red devils were the laughing stock of the NHL... [/rant]

Old
Claypool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
No it's not ridiculous. You don;t understand that a B.C. town is a B.C. town and no geographic proximity to some prairie town on the other side of the Rockies is gonna change that.

You simply don't "get it", which is okay. It makes perfect sense to us B.C.ers.

How many players from B.C. play for the Canucks right now?

Old
08-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Jerky Leclerc

How much time do we have before everyone wakes up and this site crashes?

Great signing for Anaheim. Looks like trading Commodore and JP Damphouses to Calgary for Robby Niedermayer was the best move Anaheim ever made.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Hova

Niedermayer is not Jarome Iginla, and Brian Burke who I respect is a complete idiot, if he offered Niedermayer anything close to Iggy's number. Pretty much the entire hockey world agrees that contract set the bar, and everyone should fall under it that number. Anahiem will never make the playoffs with what they have.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:49 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchard
Had to reply to this post...How is taking 10 million LESS to play hockey with his brother shallow? lol that is some crazy logic
I'm not totally shocked that he'd want to play with his brother so badly ... remember after they beat the Ducks in the Finals, how quickly he left the ice? He didn't seem much in a celebrating mood, and I'm sure it was because him winning meant his brother had to lose.

Perhaps he just never wanted to be in that sort of position ever again, which is understandable to anyone who ever cared about anyone more than they cared about some championship.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeshine
Sucks. Anaheim deserves Niedermayer about as much as they deserve a team.
grapeshine or sourgrapeshine

Old
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova
Niedermayer is not Jarome Iginla, and Brian Burke who I respect is a complete idiot, if he offered Niedermayer anything close to Iggy's number. Pretty much the entire hockey world agrees that contract set the bar, and everyone should fall under it that number. Anahiem will never make the playoffs with what they have.
So Burke is an idiot for offering that contract to Niedermayer?

does that mean you think Lou is an idiot for offering Niedermayer the max ($7.8mil) for 5 yrs?

Old
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova
You don't think the reigning Norris Trophy winner is in the same ballpark, when you're talking about a young UFA considered the most mobile defenseman in the league, on the eve of substantial rules changes that will put a premium on the transition game?

There's room for debate, but I think he's a lot closer to Iginla than you suggest. One could make a pretty good case that Scott Niedermayer is the best player in the game.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
How many players from B.C. play for the Canucks right now?
Brendan Morrison and 1/7 the population of Sweden.

Old
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
You don't think the reigning Norris Trophy winner is in the same ballpark, when you're talking about a young UFA considered the most mobile defenseman in the league, on the eve of substantial rules changes that will put a premium on the transition game?

There's room for debate, but I think he's a lot closer to Iginla than you suggest. One could make a pretty good case that Scott Niedermayer is the best player in the game.

no he is not..........

thats like me saying Kris Draper is the best player in the game...

he's the best defensive forward.. doesn't mean he's the best player...

Niddy is an Offensive D-man... he isn't amazing in his own end.. but he can hold his own... Best player in the game is Iggy...

Old
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
If I was a Devils fan I'd be listening to this right now

http://content.ytmnd.com//93000/93702/sound.mp3

Ok, doing that now... nope, not helping.

We drafted him, we developed him, we gave him a winning team, we gave him a defense core to build around and help anchor, we made him into the defenseman that he is today.

Now he's gone.

I can't fault him for wanting to play with his brother. In fact I'm grateful that there's more to this than money, because I want to still like the guy after all the effort we put into him. I guess we did get a return in the form of three cups - especially 2003 in which he really should have won the Smythe.

Oh how different things would be if Calgary hadn't traded Rob to Anaheim before they got our offer...

Old
08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Accidently deleted post!

If I was a devil fan I'd be listening to this right now.

http://content.ytmnd.com//93000/93702/sound.mp3

Don't leave, Scott! Don't leave!

*bursts into tears as the quiet dman skates away*

Last edited by Lobstertainment: 08-04-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old
08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

joepeps:
I tend to agree with you that it's Iginla, but I have heard the case made fairly convincingly nonetheless, and Niedermayer is definitely up there.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
no he is not..........

thats like me saying Kris Draper is the best player in the game...

he's the best defensive forward.. doesn't mean he's the best player...

Niddy is an Offensive D-man... he isn't amazing in his own end.. but he can hold his own... Best player in the game is Iggy...
Scott Niedermayer is one of the best defenseman in his own end in the game. There are few I would rather have back there. No, he doesn't hit hard often, but he can. He's smooth as silk and no one gets the puck out better, no one is better at catching the wayward forward and stripping the puck, and no one can turn defense to offense better than Scotty Nieds.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:04 AM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Scott Niedermayer is one of the best defenseman in his own end in the game. There are few I would rather have back there. No, he doesn't hit hard often, but he can. He's smooth as silk and no one gets the puck out better, no one is better at catching the wayward forward and stripping the puck, and no one can turn defense to offense better than Scotty Nieds.

Niddy turn down a 5 year 39 mill in Jersey...

7.8 mill a year.. max out...

Old
08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Wow, Sportsnet says that Lou offered $7.8m for 5 years... he must be crying.
yeah even though i dont care much for devils have to feel for them.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercide
yeah even though i dont care much for devils have to feel for them.
He chose family.... so I can still respect him. But still, I'm gonna have the need to vomit every time I see him in a Ducks uniform.

Of all the teams... why the disney team?

Old
08-04-2005, 10:10 AM
turnbuckle*

Folks - while it is debatable on who's the better player - Nieds or Iginla - what's not debatable is that Nieds was a UFA and Iginla was a RFA. For that reason alone, it is not surprising that Scott signed a bigger contract than Jarome.

As for the Ducks still being mediocre, I somehow doubt it, especially by next year. Nieds, Ozolinsh, Vishnevsky, Carney, Salei?, Popovic and Smid on defence., Fedorov, Rucchin, MacDonald, Lupul, Pahlsson, Leclerc, Nieds, Chistov, Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry up front, Giguere in nets.
Chistov is roundly criticized around here, but I expect him to break out with a solid season, especially if the game is indeed opened up; just too much talent. Lupul looks like a good one, and Getzlaf is ready for the NHL I think, if not a training camp then for sure next season. Ryan will make the team by next season, as will Smid. I don't see teams like St. Louis and Colorado with young talent like that. Giguere is capable of bouncing back from his mediocre season, and if he does this team is as talented as most in the west, especially now that they have perhaps the top defenceman in the league.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Folks - while it is debatable on who's the better player - Nieds or Iginla - what's not debatable is that Nieds was a UFA and Iginla was a RFA. For that reason alone, it is not surprising that Scott signed a bigger contract than Jarome.

As for the Ducks still being mediocre, I somehow doubt it, especially by next year. Nieds, Ozolinsh, Vishnevsky, Carney, Salei?, Popovic and Smid on defence., Fedorov, Rucchin, MacDonald, Lupul, Pahlsson, Leclerc, Nieds, Chistov, Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry up front, Giguere in nets.
Chistov is roundly criticized around here, but I expect him to break out with a solid season, especially if the game is indeed opened up; just too much talent. Lupul looks like a good one, and Getzlaf is ready for the NHL I think, if not a training camp then for sure next season. Ryan will make the team by next season, as will Smid. I don't see teams like St. Louis and Colorado with young talent like that. Giguere is capable of bouncing back from his mediocre season, and if he does this team is as talented as most in the west, especially now that they have perhaps the top defenceman in the league.
Good post.
People here seem to forget we were in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals just two season ago and with more than half of the team we have now.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
Good post.
People here seem to forget we were in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals just two season ago and with more than half of the team we have now.
Yeah; I forgot to mention that, even though it was one of the reasons I first responded to the post - once ya get rambling, LOL. Put it this way; if Nieds had been with Anaheim and not New Jersey in 2003, who wins the Cup?

Forgot to mention Fedoruk as well; he'll play a solid role on the third/fourth lines, and Kunitz and others will be given shots to make the team. I expect Sykora to be dealt given cap limitations.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
Good post.
The same team that sucked in 03-04? And also sucked in 01-02?

The Ducks are better, no doubt, but how good they are, and whether they do anything at all, let alone make the playoffs will depend on Giguere.

As far as this signing goes, congrats to Burke on circumventing the cap. There is absolutely no way Rob is worth a third of what he is getting. Burke basically payed $9 million to get Scott.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I would say Nick Lidstrom does all that as well as, if not better, than Scott Niedermayer.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

wow...i had a feeling this was going to happen...looks like ANA will be very tough on D and probably in net...but i expect the offense to be better than what it looks on paper since you have a Dman now who can chip in 50 points and contribute to a whole load of others....thats like having an extra FW out on the ice....

Closed Thread