HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings 2013-14 Rumors II

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2014, 01:10 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Kings would have to move too much in salary and assets for Vanek

Old
01-18-2014, 02:44 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Interesting update: Saturday noon from the pooslinger:

Onto the rumors...

On Thomas Vanek...

Keep hearing the Kings are the top dog in this race, but the isle are very much still considering extending him!

On Matt Moulson...

The Kings are also in Matt Moulson, of course they wouldn't be acquiring both players, but it is interesting and looks to be a good bet that they could grab one of the two.. The penguins also have interest! as do several other teams...including the islanders.

+++++++++++++++++++++

what would it take? I think the Isles need a better young goaltender than Kevin Poulin. I bet they have interest in Jones. They could then give us Nabokov in the deal or the Kings could get another backup somewhere.

Jones, Toffoli, Pearson. Is that enough? Not sure if I would deal Toffoli at all.
We would have to clear cap room, so it would be best to deal 1 high salaried player back.
I doubt DL would send Scrivens out for a third, just so he can then trade Jones in a deal to get Nabokov. Why not just keep Scrivens? He's doing a lot better than Nabby is this year.

As well, even if Jones, Toffoli and Pearson were enough, and I honestly doubt it is, it wouldn't clear nearly enough cap space for us to get Vanek. We need to send some salary back.

Old
01-18-2014, 02:51 PM
JT8888

How much would Vaneks hit be after the pro-rated season? Probably around 3.5 or so? We would have the funds to resign him next season depending on who we let go.

Old
01-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Ollie Weeks
First In, Last Out

Assuming Vanek were a target, it would tie in well with that report of us waiting closer to the deadline in order to free up additional cap space.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

If we got Vanek. Wow. Game over.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I know they're seven points out and sitting at 14th in the East, but the Isles have gone on an 8-2-0 run in their last 10 and are trying to make the playoffs and are also trying to re-sign Vanek. I highly doubt the Kings land him.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Assuming Vanek were a target, it would tie in well with that report of us waiting closer to the deadline in order to free up additional cap space.
... and waiting to see if the Islanders drop a bit further out of the playoff picture in which case they're more likely sellers.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:48 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
How much would Vaneks hit be after the pro-rated season? Probably around 3.5 or so? We would have the funds to resign him next season depending on who we let go.
No we wouldn't, likely not even close.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
That's assuming he would want to be here. I still think he signs with the Wild

Old
01-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Ollie Weeks
First In, Last Out

Vanek at 7 is easy enough. 7.5 is tricky but doable, although perhaps not even advisable depending on our handling of the defensive corps moving forward. We'd be as tight or tighter to the cap as this year. Any higher and it's not an option.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Raccoon Jesus
Offense Like Girardi

Cleaned up some OT personal posts. You've all got your shots in, time to let it go.

"What the ****, guys, it was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Old
01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Trolfoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
No we wouldn't, likely not even close.
Would have to think that the Island could retain salary. Of course they'd need to be compensated for this. About the only one of the rentals that the teams can't retain salary on is Moulson because they are planning on retaining salary on Miller which would be their 3rd and final chance to retain salary.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Doty View Post
Cleaned up some OT personal posts. You've all got your shots in, time to let it go.

Guess I missed all the fun

Old
01-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Knight of the Realm
Kempe

I doubt Vanek ever makes it to LA. At least we are supposedly in on some bigger names.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Raccoon Jesus
Offense Like Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I doubt Vanek ever makes it to LA. At least we are supposedly in on some bigger names.
Me too, at least the feelers are out there.

I think Vanek is a pipe dream at the cost and risk vs. reward. Moulson is cheaper (imo) and a safer bet to re-sign. I don't think the difference in the assets required to acquire either player properly reflects the actual difference in their abilities.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:27 PM
SFKingshomer

Any of the names mentioned would be an upgrade.

Old
01-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Tadite

As a fan for a good amount of years I'm constantly amazed that what we spend all our time thinking about is our 3rd line LW....

I'm digging that.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:18 PM
go4hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
The Islanders traded a 1st, a 2nd AND Matt Moulson for Vanek, I can't even imagine what the asking price would be.
Yes but keep in mind the NYI have the worst GM in hockey. Snow is a joke that would have been a good deal for Buffalo without Moulson yet Snow throws in his best winger.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Knight of the Realm
Kempe

What is the deal with the Vanek/Moulson trade? Why did Buf/NYI make that trade if they are only planning on moving them again? Seems like The NYI would be better served just trading Moulson. Is Vanek that much better than Moulson? Imho Vanek is a little overrated and overpaid for what he provides. I don't think he can carry a team to be paid that much.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I doubt DL would send Scrivens out for a third, just so he can then trade Jones in a deal to get Nabokov. Why not just keep Scrivens? He's doing a lot better than Nabby is this year.

As well, even if Jones, Toffoli and Pearson were enough, and I honestly doubt it is, it wouldn't clear nearly enough cap space for us to get Vanek. We need to send some salary back.
I am just trying to think who they would want in a package.
If I am Snow, I would want Jones as one of the players,
and ask for Dwight King, Toffoli and a #1 as well.

Jones is better than Poulin...and has greater potential. If they
wanted Jones in order for DL to get Vanek, he will need a backup
here immediately. The problem with taking Nabokov, is that he's paid 3.2 million, so no way they could afford Vanek and Nabokov.
Maybe he would take Poulin. But you're right, salary must be going the other way.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
What is the deal with the Vanek/Moulson trade? Why did Buf/NYI make that trade if they are only planning on moving them again? Seems like The NYI would be better served just trading Moulson. Is Vanek that much better than Moulson? Imho Vanek is a little overrated and overpaid for what he provides. I don't think he can carry a team to be paid that much.
Vanek is significantly better than Moulson. He is a game breaker any way you slice it and Moulson is a complimentary sniper. The Islanders were looking much better earlier in the year and were looking to make a run for it in the playoffs and then tanked after the trade. Buffalo moved Vanek because they weren't going to get a better offer than what they received and maybe they could re-sign him, if not then they could get even more assets. I liked the move when it happened, but obviously it didn't work out for the Islanders so they need to minimize their losses now or go all in on making a run for it as the last seed or something.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
01-18-2014, 05:27 PM
takk

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4hockey View Post
Yes but keep in mind the NYI have the worst GM in hockey. Snow is a joke that
Actually Snow is a pretty alright gm, and he'll be far from worst as long as guys like Holmgren and MacTavish stays in their throne.

Quote:
would have been a good deal for Buffalo without Moulson yet Snow throws in his best winger.
This is a joke, right?

Old
01-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Knight of the Realm
Kempe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Vanek is significantly better than Moulson. He is a game breaker any way you slice it and Moulson is a complimentary sniper. The Islanders were looking much better earlier in the year and were looking to make a run for it in the playoffs and then tanked after the trade. Buffalo moved Vanek because they weren't going to get a better offer than what they received and maybe they could re-sign him, if not then they could get even more assets. I liked the move when it happened, but obviously it didn't work out for the Islanders so they need to minimize their losses now or go all in on making a run for it as the last seed or something.
I see.

I still think Buffalo could have waited and recieved alot for Vanek, guess it hinges on if they can sign MM.

NYI lost draft picks to acquire Vanek. I'd be surprised if he stayed with them. I think given the lack of many option come the deadline that Mouslon will fetch a nice price and they could have kept their own picks.

Just odd in all. Maybe they will both end up staying put.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

I'd love for the Wild to throw a ton of money at Vanek and continue to be a playoff bubble team.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
I see.

I still think Buffalo could have waited and recieved alot for Vanek, guess it hinges on if they can sign MM.

NYI lost draft picks to acquire Vanek. I'd be surprised if he stayed with them. I think given the lack of many option come the deadline that Mouslon will fetch a nice price and they could have kept their own picks.

Just odd in all. Maybe they will both end up staying put.
I think Buffalo made out like bandits no matter what happens. They got an Isles 1st and 2nd, which are both high picks, and then they also get a pretty good goal scorer which is also worth a 1st+. They are likely to walk away from this with two firsts, a second, and a propect/roster player. Kovalchuk didn't even get a return like that. It was just an offer they couldn't refuse.

The Isles gambled and they lost though. I don't blame them for doing it, but obviously now it is easy to say that they shouldn't have. They still have an outside chance to make the playoffs though, and obviously they would much rather re-sign him, but if they are on the edge, and Vanek isn't signed, then they really must deal him. If they don't, then they're fools, they have to get assets for him.

Closed Thread