HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question for the Non-Leafs Fans out there...

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 11:24 AM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
Question for the Non-Leafs Fans out there...

How do you feel the Leafs will do this season?........How many points they will finish with?.....what place in the Northeast division they will finish in?.....and How far in the playoffs you think they will go?

Thanks

monkey_00

Old
09-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Mike8

The only easy answer there is 2nd in the NorthEast.

I think it's conceivable that the Leafs will head into the playoffs with home ice advantage as well. It's too difficult to say what will happen in the playoffs at this point. There could be loads of injuries that occur, there will likely be some major transactions among playoff-teams in the East that will affect things.

At this point, I would say the Leafs are close to contender status, but have some gaping holes (see: defense) to fill before being a legitimate contender.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Bill McNeal

Personally, I believe they'll finish 5th or 6th in the East. Ottawa, New Jersey and a South East team will take the division titles, and I believe Philly is better than them. I don't think the Leafs have improved from last season, though having Nolan for the year will help. But, I also don't see any other Eastern teams that have improved greatly to really unseat the Leafs. If they are 6th, it would probably be due to a slow start or injuries.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:11 PM
loveshack2

Well I am a Leaf but I think I like to think I can be objective on the subject.

Realistically I see them finishing 4th/5th fighting it out for home ice advantage with either Jersey or Philly. But who knows, if Belfour has a down year they could easily drop to 6th or lower if the injury bug hits. I dont think they're in any danger of missing the playoffs though.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Lexicon Devil

4th/5th in the east, and a 1st round series vs. NJ.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:46 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
6th or 7th in the East. 90 points max. Their defense just isn't good enough IMO. If they get an injury or two on the blueline which will happen, it does to every team they will be in tough to even make the playoffs.

1 - kaberle not bad
2 - mccabe ok if healthy
3 - klee??
4 - marchment?? seriously these guys are #5 or 6 defensemen on any good team.

i won't go any further.
You know we went to the ECF with worse

Old
09-28-2003, 09:09 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
There's quite a few unanswered questions, and a lot of the time they have been hit hard with injuries. If they could get their act together and stay healthy, I don't see any reason why they can't make the playoffs. But then again, stranger things have happened.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:27 AM
MojoJojo

The leafs biggest hope for the post season is if they can get the 6th seed so they can play the winner of the SE division. They are not going to beat either Philly or NJ in the first round. The problem is I don't see anyone else out there that can challenge them for the 5th seed (unless the Rangers actually decide to play like they are supposed to on paper). You never know though. I think it all rests on Belfour's shoulders. If he has a season like his last one in Dallas, the Leafs are in trouble. A lot depends on him being able to repeat last years performance.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:03 AM
DJ Spinoza

5th in the East.

They can get as far as the ECF as long as they don't have to play Ottawa (I just have a feeling this is finally Ottawa's year).

Old
09-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Mizral

I'll say the Leafs finish 5th or 6th in the East like many others said. I think they'll make it to the second round, but lose out there.

The Leafs could contend for a cup with a couple additions though. A hot Eddie Belfour can negate a bad defense.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

They will finish 5th in the East and make it to the 2nd round.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:44 PM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
The leafs biggest hope for the post season is if they can get the 6th seed so they can play the winner of the SE division. They are not going to beat either Philly or NJ in the first round. The problem is I don't see anyone else out there that can challenge them for the 5th seed (unless the Rangers actually decide to play like they are supposed to on paper). You never know though. I think it all rests on Belfour's shoulders. If he has a season like his last one in Dallas, the Leafs are in trouble. A lot depends on him being able to repeat last years performance.
My thoughts also

Old
09-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanatos

93 points, 2nd in the Northeast and 5th in the Eastern conference.
From there, they'll go on to a first round loss to 4th place Philly.
Simply put, the Leafs still don't have much for a defence and, more importantly, the advanced age of most of the Leaf players will have caught up with them by April. They're carrying 14 guys over 31, 7 of those are over 34 and Roberts, Joey N. and Belfour are old enough to be grandfathers. IMO, there is no way legs that old will be able to carry the Leafs out of the first round.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:09 PM
south-sentral

8th place finish followed by a first round beating from Ottawa.

Revenge is a sweet thing.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:05 PM
PigPen

2nd in the Northeast, 93 to 95 points on the year. 5th, possibly 6th seed team IF all the talent on NYR stays healthy and meshes together to play as a team.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
there is no way legs that old will be able to carry the Leafs out of the first round.
Silly comment...

Old
09-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
How do you feel the Leafs will do this season?........How many points they will finish with?.....what place in the Northeast division they will finish in?.....and How far in the playoffs you think they will go?

Thanks

monkey_00
Leafs often get ripped on these boards because some take offense with a few of their posters, and because - horrors - they are veteran team.

Add to the D during the season (they will; Klee is not the "missing piece"), stay realtively healthy, and they will make the playoffs. What spot they end up in is relatively meaningless. They are a vet team built for post-season.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:19 AM
guinness
those were the days

6th or 7th in the East, 88 pts.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Silly comment...
Ditto.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:27 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
6th or 7th in the East, 88 pts.

What do you attribute the 10 point drop from last year to?

Old
09-29-2003, 12:34 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
93 points, 2nd in the Northeast and 5th in the Eastern conference.
From there, they'll go on to a first round loss to 4th place Philly.
Simply put, the Leafs still don't have much for a defence and, more importantly, the advanced age of most of the Leaf players will have caught up with them by April. They're carrying 14 guys over 31, 7 of those are over 34 and Roberts, Joey N. and Belfour are old enough to be grandfathers. IMO, there is no way legs that old will be able to carry the Leafs out of the first round.
Funny.. Philly has 12 guys over 31 and 6 that are 34 and up (also two that are 33). What makes their "old legs" better than the Leafs "old legs"

Old
09-29-2003, 12:37 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The addition of Klee will help. He's nothing special, but definately an improvement over some of the guys they had. Maybe a Hedin or Colaicovo (Probably spelled wrong) can step up and play a pretty big role this year on the blueline. Kaberle is a great young defenseman and McCabe is capable of bouncing back, if healthy.

The offense is still there. Sundin and Mogilny continue to be underrated on these boards and a healthy season from Roberts would help. Not sure about Nolan's health, but he can always chip in 20+. Antropov is still improving as well.

No questions in goal. Belfour is a Top 5 tender.

I think they'll finish 5th in the East.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Funny.. Philly has 12 guys over 31 and 6 that are 34 and up (also two that are 33). What makes their "old legs" better than the Leafs "old legs"
Well it's not my argument, but I'd say that

1. The Flyers aren't depending on their players' 'old legs' to carry them through the season.

2. Gagne, Kapanen, Williams, and Handzus are all better than Antropov, Tucker, Belak and Stajan.

Other Dave

Old
09-29-2003, 12:51 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Well it's not my argument, but I'd say that

1. The Flyers aren't depending on their players' 'old legs' to carry them through the season.

2. Gagne, Kapanen, Williams, and Handzus are all better than Antropov, Tucker, Belak and Stajan.

Other Dave
Well one of those "old players" that the Flyers aren't counting on is Hackett... you know the starting goalie who is supposedly better than Chokemanic....

And who is on the #1 line in Philly? (I honestly don't know) but I'm assuming from your post its Gagne or Kapanen or Williams and not something like Roenick, or Amonte or Recchi..

Oh BTW, Kapanen is 30.. not exactly young by people's standards here

Old
09-30-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Ahh... First, Philly has no guys over 37, Toronto has 3 and All of Phill's players over 35 are either D-men or goalies, the most common positions where older players tend to remain most effective. Both Joey N. and Roberts are 37 and forwards, can their old legs be counted on to contribute for 80+ games?
Second, From the look of their roster on their website, Toronto is only carrying 3 players 25 or under, unless that's mistaken, there aren't anywhere near as many younger guys to run about for the Leafs as the Flyers have. The lack of youth and energy should wear down Toronto much faster than Philly, IMO.
Lastly, I really don't think Philly has much of a chance of going the distance this year either. They do have a better team than the Leafs however, and should go a round further than Toronto, IMO.

Closed Thread