HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Shocking?...Yes. Surprising?...No.

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 02:14 PM
beerpaul*

vCash: 500
Shocking?...Yes. Surprising?...No.

The horrifying crash that Dan Heatley and Dan Snyder were in Monday night shocked, saddened and finally worried me. From the age of 20 to 22, Heatley has gone from a college hockey star to a multi-millionaire, whom the hockey world has crowned as the next great hockey superstar. In papers and TV, Dan is accorded nothing but praise and greatness. I don't think many people, at 22, can keep their head on perfectly straight seeing and receiving all these rewards and praise. He's on magazine covers, does promos in Atlanta. The media, fans and even his team-mates look up to him. With all this, there is a good chance a person in this situation could start feeling invincable. Two other young stars in the NHL have also bought high-speed rockets. Vince Lecavaliar has a 300,000 dollar Ferrari, and Heatley star team-mate, Illya Kovalchuk, has purchased a Lamborgheni(forgive spelling). These are 3 of the NHL's brightest stars, who are all under 23 years of age. Maybe management should have any player(especially the younger ones) who purchase "cars" like these to take a drivers course for these particular types of cars, so that they are made aware of the explosive power and potential danger they inherit. If absolutely nothing is done, I believe this won't be the last catastrophic accident to happen to a young star.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Pretty good points, although one must remember this kind of stuff doesn't just happen to young players. Sergei Fedorov crashed out his Ferrari last year, Steve Chaisson of course sadly died in an automobile accident, and Teemu Selanne got into a collision while drag racing in Finland (on a dirt road I believe).

I do agree that someone needs to be done to make players more aware of the dangers that can come with driving fast cars, and automobiles in general. It still hurts to see one of my all-time favorite players reduced to handing out sticks from a wheel chair while wondering why Chicago Blackhawk Chris Chelios and LA King Luc Robataille are practicing with the Red Wings.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
PecaFan

The Selanne thing can't be compared at all. That was an actual organised car race, exactly what you want for these guys with the need for speed to be doing.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
The Selanne thing can't be compared at all. That was an actual organised car race, exactly what you want for these guys with the need for speed to be doing.
It also was a rally car which means it is relatively safe. He had the whole driver equipment with flame resistant suit and a good helmet. The car had a crash cage etc. There are people trained in helping with crashes around. So while crashing is of course never good it is a safe form of crashing and indeed a much better way to do things if you are a high speed freak.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Mizral

One reckless driving accident in how long through a pool of players that are about 1000 players between the NHL clubs & prospects.

How do you explain the reckless car accidents that happen every day?

This had nothing to do with maturity level, money, or glitz & glamour. It has everything to do with a couple of young guys trying to have a good time and paying dearly for it.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
bingo Mizral, bingo.

And edumacation doesn't always mean one is "smrt".

Old
09-30-2003, 04:13 PM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Pretty good points, although one must remember this kind of stuff doesn't just happen to young players. Sergei Fedorov crashed out his Ferrari last year, Steve Chaisson of course sadly died in an automobile accident, and Teemu Selanne got into a collision while drag racing in Finland (on a dirt road I believe).

I do agree that someone needs to be done to make players more aware of the dangers that can come with driving fast cars, and automobiles in general. It still hurts to see one of my all-time favorite players reduced to handing out sticks from a wheel chair while wondering why Chicago Blackhawk Chris Chelios and LA King Luc Robataille are practicing with the Red Wings.
Actually I remember Selanne was charged with driving somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100MPH on 40MPH(?) road in Finland. There was talk of him facing criminal charges, but I do not remember if he crashed or what happened there. But an insane speed on the public road was involved.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Phanuthier*

They are 22, they are old enough to take care of themselves.

Street racing isn't an uncommon thing, and certaintly isn't a problem for just rich boys.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
The horrifying crash that Dan Heatley and Dan Snyder were in Monday night shocked, saddened and finally worried me. From the age of 20 to 22, Heatley has gone from a college hockey star to a multi-millionaire, whom the hockey world has crowned as the next great hockey superstar. In papers and TV, Dan is accorded nothing but praise and greatness. I don't think many people, at 22, can keep their head on perfectly straight seeing and receiving all these rewards and praise. He's on magazine covers, does promos in Atlanta. The media, fans and even his team-mates look up to him. With all this, there is a good chance a person in this situation could start feeling invincable. Two other young stars in the NHL have also bought high-speed rockets. Vince Lecavaliar has a 300,000 dollar Ferrari, and Heatley star team-mate, Illya Kovalchuk, has purchased a Lamborgheni(forgive spelling). These are 3 of the NHL's brightest stars, who are all under 23 years of age. Maybe management should have any player(especially the younger ones) who purchase "cars" like these to take a drivers course for these particular types of cars, so that they are made aware of the explosive power and potential danger they inherit. If absolutely nothing is done, I believe this won't be the last catastrophic accident to happen to a young star.

If your stupid enough to drive a ferrari down a winding road at 80 miles an hour(35 the speed limit) then you deserve what you get. At age 20, i know thats stupid to do. At age 14 i knew that was stupid to do.

"If absolutely nothing is done, I believe this won't be the last catastrophic accident to happen to a young star"

-A young star? Would you have the same feeling torward a 20 year-old kid that did this if say he were your average college student? Cause he has talent he's doesn't count amongst the stupid?

I hope that moron's keep getting in accidents(alone, not with a passenger), that way this world won't breed more idiots.

Way to go Danny.

Only horrible thing about this situation is that he brought Snyder along with him.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:34 PM
temporary pencil

Yet, look at Wayne Gretzky.

No hockey player has had as much pressure as Wayne Gretzky at such a young age.

And look how he did. When you see how hard it is for a lot of young players, you just have to be in awe once again with the great one.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
One reckless driving accident in how long through a pool of players that are about 1000 players between the NHL clubs & prospects.

How do you explain the reckless car accidents that happen every day?

This had nothing to do with maturity level, money, or glitz & glamour. It has everything to do with a couple of young guys trying to have a good time and paying dearly for it.
Decade of behavioral studies disagree with you. We act how we act in great part because of who we are. Thus, maturity, money, glitz and glamour, a breakup, a bad day at work, EVERYTHING influences us one way or another though you can't measure these things up in an incident.

And actually, the number of car-related incidents in hockey is relatively high. It is a VERY real problem, as is alcoholism and DUI (which Heatley apparently was not doing).

In fact, it wasn't even the first time Heatley was involved in a car accident. That tells me right there there was a problem here.

Brooks, Laraque, Chiasson, MacT and many, many others have been
involved in accidents, some fortunately without consequences while others were absolutely tragic.

It's there, it won't go away, it should be adressed.

Push the age for draft eligibility and let them grow up a little more normally and you will already improve things IMO.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Push the age for draft eligibility and let them grow up a little more normally and you will already improve things IMO.
Change the scenario a little bit Vladdy...

If instead of Heatley, it was some Oil and Gas companies's CEO's son or the owner of a major law firm's son driving that Ferarri, would we be all like "oh no, poor Dany boy, he has to deal with so much in his life..." Of coarse not, because he is our adopted child, thus its societies and the NHL's responsibility to hold the child's hand until whatever age.

As I said above, this isn't just a rich boy's thing, this is common among all young males. So we stop him, but there are billions out there like him. And besides, would the NHL and NHLPA agree to push the age back JUST so they won't get into car accidents? 18 is when alot of people go out and get jobs, because they are legally adults and thus are responsible for themselves.

These things happen - it happened to Selanne, Chaisson, Fetisov and Konstantinov & Co, Fedorov...

Old
09-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I like your idea of pushing back draft eligibility, but I don't think it will help in letting prospects grow up more normally. There will be pressure, glamour, spotlight and the eventual money regardless of circumstances.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro
It doesn't have anything to do wiht him receiving praise and driving a Ferrari. If he drove a Toyota Camry and wanted to go 80 on a 35 MPH road he would still do it. He's actualy lucky he was in a Ferrari since they are designed for higher speeds and safer then a Camry for example.

Basicaly it's not the car, it's the driver.
I would say it's both. Camry's aren't built for speeding to that level on winding roads with hills. It would become apparent to any driver that the Camry wouldn't handle it too well. Also, it just wouldn't be all that fun.

On the other hand, driving a high performance car is exhilerating and will tempt the driver (especially younger ones) to push their (and the car's) limits.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro
It doesn't have anything to do wiht him receiving praise and driving a Ferrari. If he drove a Toyota Camry and wanted to go 80 on a 35 MPH road he would still do it. He's actualy lucky he was in a Ferrari since they are designed for higher speeds and safer then a Camry for example.

Basicaly it's not the car, it's the driver.
I disagree. I don't believe that if he was in a 4 door cookie cutter sedan he would've felt the need to push the limit.

But what are you going to do? Ban sports cars?

The idea of pushing the draft back to 20 or 21 seems like a good one, but what about the kids that don't make it? They will be trying to restart their lives at 25-26 years old...

Old
09-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
I disagree. I don't believe that if he was in a 4 door cookie cutter sedan he would've felt the need to push the limit.

But what are you going to do? Ban sports cars?

The idea of pushing the draft back to 20 or 21 seems like a good one, but what about the kids that don't make it? They will be trying to restart their lives at 25-26 years old...
There are already plenty of players that don't make it and need to restart their lives at late ages.

Another issue here is if the draft eligibility is pushed back, perhaps more emphasis would be placed on education. More players would go the College or University route, I'd imagine.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I would say it's both. Camry's aren't built for speeding to that level on winding roads with hills. It would become apparent to any driver that the Camry wouldn't handle it too well. Also, it just wouldn't be all that fun.
It's a double edged sword (aside from the fact that in general you don't go "oh baby, I'm gonna gun it" when you're driving a Camry). Try and drive a Camry 80+ on a road like Lenox Ave, and you're more liable to flip over, and possibly do more damage.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
If your stupid enough to drive a ferrari down a winding road at 80 miles an hour(35 the speed limit) then you deserve what you get....I hope that moron's keep getting in accidents (alone, not with a passenger), that way this world won't breed more idiots.

Way to go Danny.
*Speechless*

Old
09-30-2003, 05:56 PM
balddog66

raising the draft age is a joke to me...here in Ontario you go to University or College at 18...meaning most kids are living away from home for the first time, and these kids have much less supervision than the team family atmosphere in the nhl...
it all comes down to personal maturity

Old
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
IGM

Gosh, I could have sworn I saw another thread that was just like this one somewhere around here. Oh yeah it was started allot earlier.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
There are already plenty of players that don't make it and need to restart their lives at late ages.

Another issue here is if the draft eligibility is pushed back, perhaps more emphasis would be placed on education. More players would go the College or University route, I'd imagine.
But consider your average mid to late round draft pick, the way it is now, he probably knows 4 years after he's drafted, at the age of 22, that he's not going to make it in the NHL. You push the draft back to 21 and suddenly that 22 year old is 25. IMO much harder to start again. I'm only 22 myself and I feel a little out of place as a junior in undergraduate school.

I would hope they'd go to College or University, but I have a feeling their agents will tell them to play Juniors, where the competition is stiffer.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Blackjack

You knew 3 people who died in car accidents? Wow, I'm sorry.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:46 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
This had nothing to do with maturity level, money, or

glitz & glamour. It has everything to do with a couple of young
guys trying to have a good time
and paying dearly for it.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:05 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Pushing the draft back won't help much. Leagues still have guys playing at young levels, and all we need is to hear for 4 or 5 more years how great Crosby and Ovechkin are. The spotlight won't go away.

Pretty much the best you can do that's not unreasonably restrictive, is to let the law handle it. Heatley's charged with reckless driving. It could be manslaughter if Snyder, unfortunately, dies.

That's at least the idea behind the law; to give people second thoughts before they exhibit dangerous behavior.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I don't think pushing the age back would do much. Not every single guy that is drafted is immature. It is just the person. You can still be immature at 21+. Look at Darcy Tucker, ha ha.

Closed Thread