HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jared Cowen

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Spez

vCash: 500
He's still young and will continue to improve. Eventually the brain farts will stop and he will turn into a great shutdown D-man like Fuhr pimps him to be. I'd be more concerned if he was 30 and still doing this.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:38 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
He's improving for sure. He still strikes me as having terrible balance, though. And not just because of the gif posted above. He just always looks like he's skating on fully extended legs and has no mobility.
This honestly reminds me of Chara when he played for us.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Ed Wood

I no longer care if Cowen develops a strong offensive game. I'd be more than happy to have him mind the store in his own end and let Karlsson grab all the headlines. He had the right idea the last few games. I think he'll be fine.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
He's still young and will continue to improve. Eventually the brain farts will stop and he will turn into a great shutdown D-man like Fuhr pimps him to be. I'd be more concerned if he was 30 and still doing this.
Yikes, 30? If he still plays like this in 2 years I'd be concerned. Not about his play but more or-so his ability to progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I no longer care if Cowen develops a strong offensive game. I'd be more than happy to have him mind the store in his own end and let Karlsson grab all the headlines. He had the right idea the last few games. I think he'll be fine.
With the progress of Ceci, it should take A LOT of pressure off Cowen and the Senators' future.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringie View Post
Lol, for sure, I agree with you..He should just pass to Karlsson, and let 65 do his things, and clean up after him. He will be just fine if he can do that.
Part of the problem is that other teams know this, so they'll mark Karlsson real close.

There was another game this year where Cowen made a pass to Karlsson with the opposing forward coming right in on him (was that Montreal?) and all the idiots on the main board called it a blunder by Karlsson.

But EK was standing still while Cowen had the entire side of his ice open, with tons of skating room, and yet just deferred to an immobile EK.

Methot was good with Karlsson last year because he was confident enough with the puck to make sharp plays when Karlsson was covered.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Magix

Is it time to turn on him again? Stay fickle.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Spez

Good point Yeah I should say I'd be concerned if he's still playing like this 2-3 years from now not when he's 30.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:49 PM
DrunkUncleDenis
Hello Please

vCash: 50
Staying positive.. I know what he needs.

Beard power.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Montresor

I think he's been improving lately and his bad play resulted to a unlucky bounce that could've happened to anyone. I'm sure management will hold him accountable, but patience is required with players like him, let's not trade him and regret it like Islanders have done once before. (I am not saying he will be the next Chara, but he still has yet to reach his potential).

Old
01-16-2014, 10:54 PM
SensFactor

I know he's improving, you can see it over the last 10 games or so. However, i'm going against the grain here and sticking with my original comments and saying Cowen is a bust.

His skating speed and balance is nothing short of attrocious. Lets not kid ourselves this kid is not Chara, nor will he ever be. I see an average skater with bad decision making on the ice at some critical times. I hope he proves me wrong but i'd even look to trade Cowen if the right offer came along.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Chara wasn't Chara until he was 25.

I'm sure the Islanders thought along the same lines as you.

I'm willing to wait and see a little longer.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:58 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
I know he's improving, you can see it over the last 10 games or so. However, i'm going against the grain here and sticking with my original comments and saying Cowen is a bust.

His skating speed and balance is nothing short of attrocious. Lets not kid ourselves this kid is not Chara, nor will he ever be. I see an average skater with bad decision making on the ice at some critical times. I hope he proves me wrong but i'd even look to trade Cowen if the right offer came along.
I will say

- a lot of guys who've developed into very good defensemen over their career were still in the AHL at Cowen's age
- Chara is no great skater. Cowen's top end speed is good

Old
01-16-2014, 10:58 PM
h2

vCash: 120
Cowen puts up 2 points tonight and people complain. Haters.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

22 yrs old

Old
01-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I don't think people realize that GMs can't just make a phone call and get fair value for which ever player he decides he doesn't like at the moment.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I don't think people realize that GMs can't just make a phone call and get fair value for which ever player he decides he doesn't like at the moment.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:11 PM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I could have gotten those by sitting down in a lawn chair. All he did was pass to Karlsson.

Cowen needs to realize that his main priority should be just that. PASS TO KARLSSON THEN GO BACK AND STAY ON D.

Lol, he tries to do too much sometimes.

He's 22 and he has shown brilliant flashes. I ain't worried.
Yeah why would anyone want him to develop every facet of his game, right?

Old
01-16-2014, 11:14 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Yeah why would anyone want him to develop every facet of his game, right?
That's not my point. At least pick your moments. I believe Cowen has excellent offensive potential for a guy who can be solid defensively. 40+ points in his prime and I even went as far as saying Cowen could be dark horse Norris winner.

However, don't try to do too much at this stage of the season while having the greatest puck moving defender of this decade on your right.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:15 PM
HavlatMach9

made a nice move with the puck today, and doesn't seem to be handling the puck like a grenade.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:41 PM
starling

Do not mind him in the lineup, but leading all players in TOI? Are you kidding me?
Reunite Karlsson with Methot and play Cowen-Gryba on the third pairing against weaker competition so he can boost his confidence and make plays. I bet that's what we'll see eventually in 5-10 games.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:48 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Do not mind him in the lineup, but leading all players in TOI? Are you kidding me?
Reunite Karlsson with Methot and play Cowen-Gryba on the third pairing against weaker competition so he can boost his confidence and make plays. I bet that's what we'll see eventually in 5-10 games.
Why do you need to boost his confidence? Have you not seen him play recently? He's been solid.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:51 PM
coladin

I am not giving up on him. He is playing well lately and this isn't On him. His poise, anticipation and just his general ability to attack makes him a much more dynamic defenceman...and he is 22.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post

His two biggest weaknesses right now appear to be mobility (turns, pivots, the little defensive moves you have to make in tight corners int eh defensive zone) and his processing speed mentally.

I do believe both of those issues will get better with more experience and NHL development.

I know it's really frustrating watching the kid at times, but I really believe giving up on him now would really bite us in the ass in a few years. He has shown flashes of dominant play, and some stretches of solid play in the last 20 or so games.

His game is coming together. It's been achingly slow, but it's getting there.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:05 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

I think what is frustrating a lot of people with Cowen is that he appears to have regressed since he broke into the league two years ago. He seemed steadier back then. Last year he was a beast at times after coming back from IR, and got into a wicked fight his first game back. He ended up getting a pass for his lack of mobility because he was just off a bad injury, and he made it in time to help the team out in the playoffs.

The question is whether Cowen is actually regressing, still fighting lingering effects of the injury, or just in a sophomore slump. I am guessing he is just in a rut this year, which happens to a lot of young D.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:13 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Do we hate Jared Cowen right now?

... LET'S FIND OUT!!!

Closed Thread