HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres sign Teppo Numminen (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a hunch this Allison "rumour" is bunk though.
I am gonna hold my breath, I am listening to WGR right now waiting to hear some news. But the Sabres have a 1pm press confrence scheduled! That cant be just for the signing of Numminen, something else has to be in the works imo...

Old
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

http://www.sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=68

hmm

Old
08-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Good to know Regier has a pulse. My reaction to this signeing will come when we know the salary. I think everyone would agree that this signing is yay or nay based on the dollars.

what kind of contract would make this signing a good one?

what salary would make you shake your head in disgust?

how long til we know the slary?

Old
08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Good to know Regier has a pulse. My reaction to this signeing will come when we know the salary. I think everyone would agree that this signing is yay or nay based on the dollars.

what kind of contract would make this signing a good one?

what salary would make you shake your head in disgust?

how long til we know the slary?
1pm press conference, anything under 1 million I am happy with. Anything over then im prolly gonna fight someone

Old
08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
Well, I hope this signing is cheap and short, but short is more important obviously. Anything more than two years is no good. Assuming it is 1 or 2 years at a fair price then it is a good move. Numminen is a vet who can play some minutes and teach some guys. This team needs more vets (which is more important for defense on a club IMO), don't underrate that.
Rob, these are all plusses to signing a guy like Teppo. He's always been a professional and a leader. I'm hoping that they got him for around 2 million per for 2 years. That would be an outstanding signing for this club.

This leaves us room to maneuver a goalie or two out of town without having to firesale anyone. The one guy I wouldn't want to be this morning along that vector is Bob Clarke.

Numminen makes our blue-line better. Period. No complaints here.

Ta,

Old
08-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
If we get another high end guy, this move will look very, very nice. Numminen is a nice fit to round-out the d-corps.

My thoughts exactly.

Couple Numminen with maybe a Lukowich or McGillis and I'll consider myself mildly appeased. Mildly.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
From Spectors:

Quote:
WGR 550: REPORTS THE BUFFALO SABRES HAVE SIGNED DEFENCEMAN TEPPO NUMMINEN TO A ONE-YEAR CONTRACT. FINANCIAL TERMS WEREN'T DISCLOSED.
The WGR article didn't actually mention the one-year aspect, so perhaps it was mentioned on the radio?

Old
08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
JPurp26

if the sabres announced the nummien deal on there website then this confrence wont just be about him something else happeened wheather it was allison or not.
How do i get the confrence in Rochester? Radio or Tv?

Thanks guyz

Old
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
joechip

With the Neidermeyers going to the Ducks they are officially in Cap-Hell!.... We need to target either Vishnevsky or Salei immediately.

That would take care of our blueline.

Ta,

Old
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Takeo

The official press release from the Sabres website confirms the one-year contract. No financial terms yet though. I'm guessing $1.75M.

As of right now, there's no reason to believe that the press conference is for anyone other than Numminen.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreDude2631
if the sabres announced the nummien deal on there website then this confrence wont just be about him something else happeened wheather it was allison or not.
How do i get the confrence in Rochester? Radio or Tv?

Thanks guyz
Im sure the sabres website will provide it or if u get WGR55 in roch cha cha listen at 1pm4.

Old
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
Rob, these are all plusses to signing a guy like Teppo. He's always been a professional and a leader. I'm hoping that they got him for around 2 million per for 2 years. That would be an outstanding signing for this club.

This leaves us room to maneuver a goalie or two out of town without having to firesale anyone. The one guy I wouldn't want to be this morning along that vector is Bob Clarke.

Numminen makes our blue-line better. Period. No complaints here.

Ta,
I agree, he's a great puck handler and in the new nhl system, this will be key. wide open ice to get the puck to vanek or brier or even max flying down the wing! age is the only factor, but the team needs some more veteran leadership, which is fine.

Old
Rowley Birkin

If its a short {1yr} cheap contract, then yes, this is a decent, but unspectacular move. A decent replacement for Jeep and thats all. Even with Numminen, our D is still shocking.

Kalinin
McKee
Tallinder
Jillson
Numminen
Fitz/Campbell

I agree that it will look good, IF we can sign a good #1/2 to partner Kalinin. Weather that's by signing a guy like Hamrlik, or via trade, I don't really care.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:32 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
I agree that it will look good, IF we can sign a good #1/2 to partner Kalinin. Weather that's by signing a guy like Hamrlik, or via trade, I don't really care.
We will get some more help on the blueline... we have assets to trade and salary room to spare. Go look at Anaheim right now. over $30 million with half a roster... they will need help to get under the cap.

Numminen is a RH'er and has the ability to log a lotta minutes in a non-physical, yet effective way. A great mentor for both Jillson and Tallinder.

Ta,

Old
08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132414

Old
08-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Kruschiki

This is a pretty good pickup, I'd like to see a little more help though.

RE: Press conference- I think they WOULD hold a press conference for JUST the Numminen signing.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
RE: Press conference- I think they WOULD hold a press conference for JUST the Numminen signing.
I agree. After all, they do believe they're making a splash. .

Old
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
RorschachWJK

The Sabres just became one of the teams that I will follow next season. Congrats, Teppo is a good addition! I wouldn't expect him to rack up big numbers but he is quietly effective, still very good defensively and definitely a player for younger guys to look up to.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrfan
I agree. After all, they do believe they're making a splash. .
I'm assuming you would have preferred we overpaid for an ineffective guy like Hatcher? Hey at least that's a name you could get all excited about, right?!

Old
08-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Joretus

Some1 mentioned Teppo didn't play last season at all. That's true, but he is training maniac. He trained whole last season with his team(yes he owns a team in finnish 3rd highest league) and this summer he have been practicing with Tappara(Finnish highest league). And he have always done freaking much work, so he will be in good shape, prolly better than most of rest of team.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:56 AM
x-bob

Bad signing in my opinion. He isn't good anymore. I think he is just there to ease the paine of loosing Zhitnik. I hope for your teams sake that you can sign another D or esle ure D will be worse then Montraels D

Old
08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
Bad signing in my opinion. He isn't good anymore. I think he is just there to ease the paine of loosing Zhitnik. I hope for your teams sake that you can sign another D or esle ure D will be worse then Montraels D
If they gave him $2M+ or intend that he will replace Z, then I agree with you. If they brought him in cheap and intend that he play moderate minutes and mentor guys like Tallinder and Jillson, then you're completely off-base. The latter is a very pleasing scenario.

Old
08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

WGR said nothing about Allison taking a physical...

Old
08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
Worse yet, the Sabres could play D like you type.

Old
08-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus
Some1 mentioned Teppo didn't play last season at all. That's true, but he is training maniac. He trained whole last season with his team(yes he owns a team in finnish 3rd highest league) and this summer he have been practicing with Tappara(Finnish highest league). And he have always done freaking much work, so he will be in good shape, prolly better than most of rest of team.
thats good to hear. THanks for the info

What do you guys think is a reasonable contract for him? I say anything over the $1.5m mark is overpayment, and anything under $1m is decent value. And i'd hope its no longer than a 2yr contract.

edit- hopefully the Aliison rumour was just bull

Closed Thread