HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres sign Teppo Numminen (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
I guessed 1.75 but 2 is fine by me. The numbers are a bit out of whack relative to our payroll but, considering the market, it's a nice signing. I really think Teppo will be a solid addition.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

It seems that salaries have already inflated to a ridiculous degree, and only the poor schlubs who were already under contract are taking the hit from the salary cap. Right now, the GMs are spending like it's a freaking shore leave. Disturbing, offensive, and to one who didn't support the NHL/ownership side in this lockout ... kinda funny. Bunch of half-wits with dad's car keys and mom's Visa.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:44 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
It seems that salaries have already inflated to a ridiculous degree, and only the poor schlubs who were already under contract are taking the hit from the salary cap. Right now, the GMs are spending like it's a freaking shore leave. Disturbing, offensive, and to one who didn't support the NHL/ownership side in this lockout ... kinda funny. Bunch of half-wits with dad's car keys and mom's Visa.
you forgot the case of whiskey in the back seat.....

Ta,

Old
08-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Tra La La

I don't really see this as more then a P.R. move. He has enough history that they can spin it as more then that. But as a legit Hockey move nah.
I think this will be thier only free agent as well. If They intended on spending more, they would have done so on a Dman who could really be top 3.

Its the we need to sell tickets, have to do something move.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
you forgot the case of whiskey in the back seat.....

Ta,

You think they have the sense to keep the whiskey in the backseat? I'd think they'd have a blender plugged into the cigarette lighter, making Mai Tais at a stoplight, and flipping the bird to any passing 5-0.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
I don't really see this as more then a P.R. move. He has enough history that they can spin it as more then that. But as a legit Hockey move nah.
I think this will be thier only free agent as well. If They intended on spending more, they would have done so on a Dman who could really be top 3.

Shows you haven't seen Teppo playing ever or don't know anything about hockey. Teppo can easily be in top-3 of yours defs. Teppo have vision, skills and sense of hockey. Maybe he isn't so fast as he used to be or so dangerous in powerplay, but still good D.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:58 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus
Shows you haven't seen Teppo playing ever or don't know anything about hockey. Teppo can easily be in top-3 of yours defs.
Dude -- you're about to get jumped.

I can see where you're coming from re: Teppo -- I think he could be one of our top 3 if he comes back in form.

I for one have had enough of the rap battles. All this "you don't know jack **** about hockey" stuff has gotta stop before one of us goes out like Tupac.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim

I too believe this will be our only FA signing. But I also believe we will make a deal. Darcy is looking to swap salary, not add it.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Dude -- you're about to get jumped.

I can see where you're coming from re: Teppo -- I think he could be one of our top 3 if he comes back in form.

I for one have had enough of the rap battles. All this "you don't know jack **** about hockey" stuff has gotta stop before one of us goes out like Tupac.

Well just pointing out that Numminen isn't just PR move. Guy have practiced like hell last year just to get one more shot in NHL. I'm quite sure most of players haven't done more than half of that work that Teppo does every year. Nothing personal, but just shows guy haven't seen Teppo practising/playing.

edit: Anyways if I offended some1, sorry. I'll just reserve myself right to come back after season is over and say "what did I say about Numminen". Over and out.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
I thought Numminen was Finland's best dman at the World Cup last September. Numminen's year in Dallas may have been the worst of his career. Despite that, he was the Stars most consistant dman. He was really snake-bitten that season with a broken foot and then the diagnosis of the heart condition. The concern about the heart condition (dilated aorta) is overblown. It isn't expected to be an issue until years after he retires. There were quite a few teams interested in Numminen in the 2004 offseason, and considering he had a good World Cup it's surprising he wasn't more heavily pursued. There's a very good chance we'll see this guy as the Sabres #1 or #2 dman next season.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Tra La La

As a Righthanded shot, does he play best on the Left or Right side ?

Old
08-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I thought Numminen was Finland's best dman at the World Cup last September. Numminen's year in Dallas may have been the worst of his career. Despite that, he was the Stars most consistant dman. He was really snake-bitten that season with a broken foot and then the diagnosis of the heart condition. The concern about the heart condition (dilated aorta) is overblown. It isn't expected to be an issue until years after he retires. There were quite a few teams interested in Numminen in the 2004 offseason, and considering he had a good World Cup it's surprising he wasn't more heavily pursued. There's a very good chance we'll see this guy as the Sabres #1 or #2 dman next season.

Thanks for the info, B.

I'm also not particularly worried about the dilated aorta for exactly the reasons you mentioned and though I'm heartened to hear about his WC performance I'm still hesitant to believe he can log the 22+ minutes or so that would be required for a top 2 guy. I like him on the second pairing with a McKee or Tallinder but I'm concerned extended top pair time is going to wear him down to the point we're going to see a Fitzpatrick Effect from last season.

I hope Ruff doesn't get it in his head to overwork Numminen early. If the Sabres are going to need him, it's going to be in the second half.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:46 PM
muzza34

We still have plenty of dough to play with. I like this sighning for the $$ paid

Old
08-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Rowley Birkin

At $2m we overpaid. But then again, so has just about everyone so far, especially for D-men.

Having thought about it a bit more, i kinda like this signing, except for the inflated salary. And the risk that Teppo just won't be the player he used to be. I see his max role as a 4th guy, who can log PP time, and a solid 15min a night. As a Z replacement, he is nowhere near cutting it. But as a Jeep replacement, he could fill the role quite nicely.

However, there is more work to do. We need a legit 1st pairing guy, and that is before we've started to worry about our forward crop, who will replace Miro's offence. And after that, theres Biron......

Old
08-04-2005, 10:54 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
How is 2 million overpaid?With some marginable defenseman getting bigger contracts,this is a good signing for the price.He provides veteran leadership to Jillson,Kalinin etc while being a consistent defender.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Sound_n_Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I too believe this will be our only FA signing. But I also believe we will make a deal. Darcy is looking to swap salary, not add it.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...159381-ap.html

"Regier said he would like to add at least one more defenceman, and didn't rule out making a trade.

The Sabres have a surplus of young forwards and would also consider trading a goaltender. Prospect Ryan Miller is expected to compete with returning veterans, Martin Biron and Mika Noronen, for one of two jobs in the Sabres' lineup this season. "

Old
08-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
How is 2 million overpaid?With some marginable defenseman getting bigger contracts,this is a good signing for the price.He provides veteran leadership to Jillson,Kalinin etc while being a consistent defender.
Because he is not worth $2m a year. A few years ago, definately, but not now. In my eyes at least. Behind Drury and Biron, he's our most expensive player i think....

Old
08-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza34
We still have plenty of dough to play with. I like this sighning for the $$ paid
The Sabres have about $26 million committed in salaries and qualifying offers now. They want a payroll in the $28-29 million range, presumably to remain eligible for revenue sharing. They're not going to be able do a significant signing unless they trade away some salary. Trading away salary isn't as easy as it once was. It's just like the NFL/NBA now.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:29 AM
muzza34

Good point. I just remembered they were talking about staying around $30M. Still, grooming talent from within may not be a bad idea. What trade bait aside from goalies do you think we have? Not sure if I want Drury traded as some have suggested.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza34
Good point. I just remembered they were talking about staying around $30M. Still, grooming talent from within may not be a bad idea. What trade bait aside from goalies do you think we have? Not sure if I want Drury traded as some have suggested.
Any decent player, or one with good potential, making less than 1.5 million is good trade bait. Most teams have that much left under their cap and will part with a draft pick. The Sabres have a lot of players, including goalies who fit into that category. When the salary gets to be $2+ million you're looking at getting a similar salary back in return. It's apt to be a player that isn't desired, so those kinds of deals will become increasingly hard to make as teams get more fixed in their cap situations. The Sabres can create cap room in their range by dealing 2-3 of those guys in that salary range for picks, and then acquire one of those $2-3 million guys that a team needs to unload from its cap for a pick. The NHL will very rapidly become like the NFL where good players have little trade value (eg Travis Henry). The recent signings of UFA's to long term deals will only accelerate this process.

Old
08-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Any quotes from Numminen at all?

Old
08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

numminen quotes

numminen has some quotes in this buffalo news article from 8-5-05

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...05/1058258.asp

Old
08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Tra La La

I just listend to the GR audio file from friday.

Darcy said "Numminen and Timmonen played against the other teams top line, in the world cup"

" Lindy Thinks Numminen will pair with Kalinin "

From another file

" Support Kalinin and Tallinders Growth" " And play the game at a high level "

Old
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I've seen Numminen playing for years.. one of my all time favorites.

He might be 37 but he never overpowered anyone. He was simply three steps ahead of them hence his nickname of Repo Man because he always ended up with the puck. Great positional player. Maybe a bit overpriced but certainly no lousy bottom pairing guy. He can pass and skate sure, but better on the PK side than the PP. A good fit I think.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Anyone hear his interview today on WGR?

http://wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=1020 (recap)

You'll have to visit the audio vault for the entire interview.

Closed Thread