HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Ville Nieminen & Jason Ward

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Hollweg, Signin'. Or as I mentioned, there's even Ortmeyer. I'm not going to get worked-up over Ward, unless Sather's pulling an Al Davis and acquiring a guy b/c he was a #1 pick and believes he can be on the top two lines. Other than that, his job isn't real safe.

Yeah Hollweg and Ortmeyer (where are the rumors that he's gone coming from?) are two other guys that can do what Ward does. They might not have Ward's size but they're better skaters.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Fletch

If Ward is on the top line...

then that's just as bad as blocking youth from getting ice time. The guy's 26, with 100 NHL games and 20 NHL points, I believe. Last season, he only tallied 20 goals in 77 games - not too impressive at all. It would be disappointing seeing him play with Jagr. I'm not sure you really need a digger and grinder to play with Jagr. I can't recall him playing with one in the past. He does well with more skilled guy. I see where you're going with this, but not sure if it's what I'd do.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:58 AM
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers
$700,000 is a bargain for a checking line pest like Nieminen... terrific signing.
Good work on this one

Old
08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
pld459666

not so much the digger grinder type

Quote:
then that's just as bad as blocking youth from getting ice time. The guy's 26, with 100 NHL games and 20 NHL points, I believe. Last season, he only tallied 20 goals in 77 games - not too impressive at all. It would be disappointing seeing him play with Jagr. I'm not sure you really need a digger and grinder to play with Jagr. I can't recall him playing with one in the past. He does well with more skilled guy. I see where you're going with this, but not sure if it's what I'd do.
but more of a bigger body to help open up skating room for both Straka and Jagr.

Someone who can plant themselves in front while being a pain in the arse to the goalie.

a player that will go to the net and maybe take a covering forward and D with him to open up the ice somewhat.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
but more of a bigger body to help open up skating room for both Straka and Jagr.
Someone like John LeClair?

Old
08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Fletch

Pld...

Straka and Jagr will create more room for Ward than vice versa, unfortunately. When either, especially Jagr though, comes down the ice, defensemen give them space. That would open up the ice for Ward as defensmen and forwards focus on Jagr/Straka, and it wouldn't work vice versa, in my opinion.

Oh, and Jagr's body's a fair amount bigger than Ward's, I believe.

Old
08-05-2005, 03:22 PM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by egger66
Smart of NYR to sign Ville Nieminen. He is the perfect Ranger - lazy and unmotivated.

Honestly, how anyone could want this guy on his team is a complete mystery.

Nieminen is the definition of motivated. And calling him lazy is talking with your bum. He works his ass off there night in night off. He didn't fit in with the pens as no one on the team took an aproach to him and he didn't fit in socially.

Old
08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Clarence Swamptown

Rather see Ortmeyer ( ie - someone who will pay price )digging in corners for top two lines than Lundmark,,Lundmark plays on the perimeter , he thinks he Karyia . Not that he was anything special before he got hurt , he hasn't been the same player since .

Old
08-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe
Rather see Ortmeyer ( ie - someone who will pay price )digging in corners for top two lines than Lundmark,,Lundmark plays on the perimeter , he thinks he Karyia . Not that he was anything special before he got hurt , he hasn't been the same player since .
So, you want to play both Lundmark and Ortmeyer out of position? That really doesn't make a lot of sense. Ortmeyer will never score enough to justify playing on the top two lines, plus he doesn't have the passing ability get the puck to his linemates, even if he can dig the puck out of the corners. Put a younger player who will contribute on a scoring line--if not Lundmark, then some other player who has the potential to score more than 5-8 goals a season. But not Ortmeyer.

Old
08-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Fletch

Ogil...

I'd be pretty upset, even in these rebuilding days, if I saw Ortmeyer out there for more than 10 minutes per game. He may dig in corners and crash the boards, but I don't know if he has the skill to get the puck to the guys that need it, or keep up with them in the offensive zone.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:21 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
I'd be pretty upset, even in these rebuilding days, if I saw Ortmeyer out there for more than 10 minutes per game. He may dig in corners and crash the boards, but I don't know if he has the skill to get the puck to the guys that need it, or keep up with them in the offensive zone.
I agree with the exception of those games when we're killing off lots of penalties.

Old
08-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
The Nieminen signing was good. He's a pesky player who the opposition will hate to play against.

My main beef with them is why both Straka and Rucinsky? I would have signed just one.

Ward I was scratching my head on too. But it's worth noting that the last time there was a season he scored more than half his pts (12) in his career with Mtl. So maybe he was starting to come around.

Old
08-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Fletch

I'd still be upser, eco...

because that would mean that the Rangers would still be over-the-top undsiciplined.

Ward followed-up that season with 20 goals in 76 AHL games. Isn't that about where Wiseman was? I get a feeling Sather signed him to compete for the top six, against Lundmark and Balej, who both haven't done much better, if better at all, than Ward.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
because that would mean that the Rangers would still be over-the-top undsiciplined.

Ward followed-up that season with 20 goals in 76 AHL games. Isn't that about where Wiseman was? I get a feeling Sather signed him to compete for the top six, against Lundmark and Balej, who both haven't done much better, if better at all, than Ward.
Well we don't seem to have too many undisciplined types so far. Ortmeyer makes the team though because he's good defensively and great on hustle. The one thing I'll say for him offensively is he provides a hard forecheck. He's a fourth liner and maybe on some nights he sits but I'd keep him around.

Old
08-08-2005, 04:47 AM
gib

Quote:

Someone who can plant themselves in front while being a pain in the arse to the goalie.

a player that will go to the net and maybe take a covering forward and D with him to open up the ice somewhat.
Nieminen can do that kind of job very well if needed. Many here see him pretty pure 3rd line pest, but he has enough skills to play with the best, make room for them etc. In the season 00-01 Nieminen played on the same line with Peter Forsberg during playoffs(and in the end of the regular season). What was the result? Avalache won stanley cup But seriously Nieminen`s job was to make room/time for Forsberg by hitting, hustling in the corners, being in front of the goal (in where he was pretty efficient goal scorer). While doing all this he also irritated New Jersey players as much as he could.

So if lines like these......

Rucinsky - Nylander - Jágr
Straka - Lundmark - Balej

.....don`t work because there isn`t enough toughnes. There is always option to throw Ville in. At least in playoffs also now and then during regular season.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
The Nieminen signing was good. He's a pesky player who the opposition will hate to play against.

My main beef with them is why both Straka and Rucinsky? I would have signed just one.
Sather could have possibly run into contract problems with Immonen and Straka was a decent guy to 1-2 with Nylander if need be?

Old
08-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Streaker-man

Quote:

That´s Nemo

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/image...4/6579_512.jpg

http://www.dallas-stars.cz/sezona03/pics/capt0249.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/nhl/2004/05...ieminen_il.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~orngaclor...%20450x300.JPG

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos...17_pens2-b.jpg

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/slideshow/...es/32c26af.jpg

Old
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck