Notices

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Old
01-17-2014, 05:49 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

vCash: 500
Light at the end of the tunnel?

Do you see it? Does it even exist? In over 20 years of being a Flames fan I can not recall things being so bleak.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Janko Unchained
Now with a contract!

vCash: 115

/Thread

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 05:52 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

^ I'd take those guys over our current group every day of the week and twice on Sunday, esp. that black guy in the middle.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Do you see it? Does it even exist? In over 20 years of being a Flames fan I can not recall things being so bleak.
I think you're looking for the Oilers' forum. There is plenty to be optimistic about.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Janko Unchained
Now with a contract!

Iginla was the only played that we kept to come out of the Young Guns era. Valeri went to play with his brother in Florida eventually, Stillman was sent to St. Louis for Roman Turek, and Derek Morris brought back a pretty decent return back then (even though Drury never wanted to be here, iirc). How about we wait and see what happens with the prospects we have (Monahan, Sven, Johnny Hockey, Poirier, etc) before we start throwing in the towel and crying about how bad it is. Yeah, it's bad, but the light at the end of the tunnel is there, and I'll take this team being bad over the pure mediocrity we had been mired in for the last several seasons, or the Todd Simpson led Flames team of the late 1990's. At least we can build up from this point.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Beats By CoRD
I Can Do Trouble

vCash: 50

I see it.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames CBA Guy View Post
Iginla was the only played that we kept to come out of the Young Guns era. Valeri went to play with his brother in Florida eventually, Stillman was sent to St. Louis for Roman Turek, and Derek Morris brought back a pretty decent return back then (even though Drury never wanted to be here, iirc). How about we wait and see what happens with the prospects we have (Monahan, Sven, Johnny Hockey, Poirier, etc) before we start throwing in the towel and crying about how bad it is. Yeah, it's bad, but the light at the end of the tunnel is there, and I'll take this team being bad over the pure mediocrity we had been mired in for the last several seasons, or the Todd Simpson led Flames team of the late 1990's. At least we can build up from this point.
It would be bad and worth crying about if our rebuilt core was maturing and still couldn't climb out of the cellar.

Old
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
First round bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post

I see it.
I sure hope so

First round bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janko Unchained
Now with a contract!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
It would be bad and worth crying about if our rebuilt core was maturing and still couldn't climb out of the cellar.
I guess it's a good thing Kevin Lowe isn't in charge then.

Old
Skobel24
#Ignited

Biggest thing to remember, is the Sutter era is gone. A few changes in the drafting during his time here could have meant this team being a serious contender.

Burke knows what he's doing. It will take a while to get back up on top, but the team is in good hands.

Between Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Poirier and Gillies, this team has a bright future.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Ferkland
Bennett is 19

Am I dead or something? I am supposed to go the opposite way of the light.

Ferkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

The only thing I'm complaining about is how the team has seemingly just not given a **** lately. If they play hard and put the effort in, I'm happy.

Last edited by MarkGio: 01-17-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: quote deleted post
Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

I think it's abundantly clear that quite a few Flames fans can't handle the concept of a rebuild.

Roughly 60 games into it. The team hasn't even hit rock bottom yet. But there's already more than a few complaints. People really need to understand that this is a four or five year process. Things are going to get worse before they better - that's how rebuilds work.

Last edited by MarkGio: 01-17-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Violates site rules
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Yes. This is the worst team in franchise history. And, the "future" or Flames prospect pool has been greatly over rated by the fans.

For me the light at the end of the tunnel is Brian Burke. Even if he fails at making the Flames better, he will surely make the Flames tougher. So at the very least the Flames will be more watchable. I can't wait.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Janko Unchained
Now with a contract!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
Yes. This is the worst team in franchise history. And, the "future" or Flames prospect pool has been greatly over rated by the fans.

For me the light at the end of the tunnel is Brian Burke. Even if he fails at making the Flames better, he will surely make the Flames tougher. So at the very least the Flames will be more watchable. I can't wait.
Fans as in...fans in general? I remember after the most recent draft, a lot of people started to put the Flames prospect pool in the top 10-15, compared to the bare cupboards that had for years prior. Not just Flames fans (granted a large portion) were saying this, mind you.

Old
01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Ferkland
Bennett is 19

I want a winning team now.... Man, I lost all hope as a fan. Time to trade the fan card in.

Ferkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:36 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Year 1 of a rebuild that everyone asked for. What did everyone think was going to happen? A Stanley Cup?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Year 1 of a rebuild that everyone asked for. What did everyone think was going to happen? A Stanley Cup?
Cleary.

This is just a flameaholic thread, guys.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:42 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
I think you're looking for the Oilers' forum. There is plenty to be optimistic about.
Make Lemonade with lemons I always say! Actually, I never say that, but I could.

Anyways, the Flames have some really good prospects, a winning farm team, some really good young NHLers, some sellable veterans that will convert into building pieces at the deadline, and we're in a really good position to draft another key piece. All while playing some of the most blue-collar hockey I've seen from this team since '04. We unfortunately don't have elite goaltending or high end skill up front.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Ekblad and then McDavid?

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 06:57 PM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I see it.
I see it too!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:24 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Lol wow, we haven't even finished the downward slide yet and already you "dont see the light at the end of the tunnel"? You say you have watched the team for 20 years but you lack the perspective to see we are half way through just our first year of this rebuild?

My goodness.

EDIT: And you wanna know whats "bleak"? Finishing just out the playoffs year after year with no hope of improving. Thank god that **** is over.

01-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Ynnek
FIRED!!!!!!

Things are going exactly according to plan. Did anyone actually think a playoff spot was in the cards in the next few years? We just need the oilers and Sabres to win some freaking games.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Things are going exactly according to plan. Did anyone actually think a playoff spot was in the cards in the next few years? We just need the oilers and Sabres to win some freaking games.
This exactly. Before the season, I thought we were all in agreement that we'd cheer on the Flames and enjoy the wins, but that at the end of the day it would be the losses which ultimately help this team more. We've had a great season to this point, with the exception of Baertschi's struggles. We've gotten to see some inspiring and successful play from our boys early in the year, Backlund's emergence, Ramo developing and adapting his game to become an impressive goalie, Brodie taking another step and probably the best season we've ever seen from Mark Giordano. And we haven't hurt our rebuild in the process. We're in a little bit of a lull right now just playing out the season, but the trade deadline is coming up, and toward the end of the season we may yet get to see some more NHL debuts, and maybe even from one Johnny Gaudreau! There's plenty of light in this tunnel if you're willing to stop looking at the ground.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:32 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:

I see it.
I'm waiting for the inevitability of the team going on a tear in 2015 after they have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, pushing them out of 30th in the league to like 25th or something.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote