HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

vCash: 500
I have two competing views of Krueger...

1. He was a mediocre coach. The system we were playing was flawed and not the way you win games on a consistent basis in the NHL.
2. He was a great coach. The system was flawed, but it was the way that THIS team - as it was built - could win the most games. With a better team defense, maybe he uses another system.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Let's not kid ourselves Replacement. The Oilers played over their heads for about a week and when the games mattered the most they remembered who they really were.

I can still picture that absolutely lifeless loss to the Flames on home ice when they had kids with about as much NHL experience as you or I.
But the club was better statistically in every way, better PP, better PK, more points less GA and had significant injury trouble.

If Eakins encountered that same situation I don't even want to think about how bad it would have been.

The Oilers played for Krueger and battled hard. With a much worse lineup than we have this year.

I wonder if Krueger would have this lineup in current contention for a spot.

Lets not forget the club had ALL WC teams last year.

Do you want to know what our WC record is under Eakins?

Old
02-27-2014, 12:02 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But the club was better statistically in every way, better PP, better PK, more points less GA and had significant injury trouble.

If Eakins encountered that same situation I don't even want to think about how bad it would have been.

The Oilers played for Krueger and battled hard. With a much worse lineup than we have this year.

Oh I know it's horrible. Don't forget that Dubnyk was actually playing competent that year as well and not letting in laughable goals (or at least as many). The horrible goaltending cost us at least 5 wins this year. With 8-10 more points we're not staring up at Calgary and are at least within striking distance of Nashville.

The PP and PK probably would've been pretty decent, but given the death spiral we went on after the five game win streak we probably would've sunk below Calgary. We lost 8 out of 9 games after the hope spot and in all but one of those we scored 1 goal or less. Things look a little skewed when you factor in the final two games of the season (where we pasted the Wild and the resting Canucks).

To me this team doesn't look that much different from last year. Still seeing the same stupid mistakes they've made since day one. And while that is a failure on Eakins, it doesn't say much for Krueger either. Still the same panic passes, around the walls clears, and complete inability to recognize anything in their own end.

I'm not going to say Eakins is a great coach or even better than Krueger, but you're giving the latter too much credit. Keep in mind that even with all the factors you mentioned, he also had competent goaltending. If you don't have goaltending in this league you're going nowhere.

All in all though this team is still a complete fail from top to bottom, from Taylor Hall to Ryan Smyth, there really is almost no reason to be optimistic about next year regardless if Eakins is still here or not. It really would be nice to have a Weber or a Doughty in the pipeline somewhere. A Crosby would also be nice.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
An isolated view. An opinion, stated as fact.

huh?

48 games under Krueger is fluke, wasn't step forward but you know a 7 game stretch was?

The recent stretch of success this year had everything to do with the Oilers suddenly having faith in goaltending and getting some lights out performances between the pipes. They were outplayed in most of the games.
Boy, it's a good thing I prefaced that whole post I made with "I think" and not "the facts prove"

Old
02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Oh I know it's horrible. Don't forget that Dubnyk was actually playing competent that year as well and not letting in laughable goals (or at least as many). The horrible goaltending cost us at least 5 wins this year. With 8-10 more points we're not staring up at Calgary and are at least within striking distance of Nashville.

The PP and PK probably would've been pretty decent, but given the death spiral we went on after the five game win streak we probably would've sunk below Calgary. We lost 8 out of 9 games after the hope spot and in all but one of those we scored 1 goal or less. Things look a little skewed when you factor in the final two games of the season (where we pasted the Wild and the resting Canucks).

To me this team doesn't look that much different from last year. Still seeing the same stupid mistakes they've made since day one. And while that is a failure on Eakins, it doesn't say much for Krueger either. Still the same panic passes, around the walls clears, and complete inability to recognize anything in their own end.

I'm not going to say Eakins is a great coach or even better than Krueger, but you're giving the latter too much credit. Keep in mind that even with all the factors you mentioned, he also had competent goaltending. If you don't have goaltending in this league you're going nowhere.

All in all though this team is still a complete fail from top to bottom, from Taylor Hall to Ryan Smyth, there really is almost no reason to be optimistic about next year regardless if Eakins is still here or not. It really would be nice to have a Weber or a Doughty in the pipeline somewhere. A Crosby would also be nice.
He had competent goal tending because his system wasn't letting the other team dance their way to within 5 feet of the goalie for prime scoring chances at every given moment. Dubnyk still let in plenty of stupid goals last year behind a lesser defense squad (in theory anyway).

Krueger wasn't fantastic (honestly not that better than Renney) but he also had a lot less to work with and that imo is a significant point to be made. They did slip at the end though, so who knows. Long term imo Krueger would of been the superior choice. But that is speculation and remains to be seen. Maybe this mini camp will jump start Eakins.

Last edited by armandh01: 02-27-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 12:17 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
He had competent goal tending because his system wasn't letting the other team dance their way to within 5 feet of the goalie for prime scoring chances at every given moment. Dubnyk still let in plenty of stupid goals last year behind a lesser defense squad (in theory anyway).

I can count about 5 games last year we lost due to Whitney and Dubnyk issues combined.
Krueger had a system?

Oh right, it was the one that, according to one NHL executive, "Nobody else used."

Old
02-27-2014, 12:25 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Krueger had a system?

Oh right, it was the one that, according to one NHL executive, "Nobody else used."
Well maybe whatever system Eakins uses next will be approved by NHL executives.

Or you know, trying to build a system for your team is not easy when you have next to 0 practice time, so maybe you pick the quickest thing to grasp with no off season preparation. Seeing as how he had planned large changes before getting canned. But who knows.

Last edited by armandh01: 02-27-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Can't see how anyone with a straight face can defend Eakins as a better coach than Krueger in here. Baffling .

Old
02-27-2014, 03:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Can't see how anyone with a straight face can defend Eakins as a better coach than Krueger in here. Baffling .
They both sucked how bout that?

Old
02-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They both sucked how bout that?
would be a better argument.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Boy, it's a good thing I prefaced that whole post I made with "I think" and not "the facts prove"
The way I read it the "I think" referred to your first sentence. Reading it again I could see that you meant otherwise.

But in fairness to my reading your first sentence contained "I think" and in English usage does not necessarily "preface" every statement afterwards. For instance your second sentence was a declarative sentence; "It was an outlier, and over an 82 game sample Kreugers team would have come crashing back down to Earth." See how the reader could interpret it?

Why do you Think the team would get worse as the season progressed?

Why do you assume it was an Outlier season?

What do you see that is more promising in how Eakins is running this club?

Last edited by Replacement: 02-27-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old
02-27-2014, 12:45 PM
russ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
I have two competing views of Krueger...

1. He was a mediocre coach. The system we were playing was flawed and not the way you win games on a consistent basis in the NHL.
2. He was a great coach. The system was flawed, but it was the way that THIS team - as it was built - could win the most games. With a better team defense, maybe he uses another system.
That is true, but Ralph tailored his system to the players as compared to Eakins coming in with no NHL experience full of grandiose ideas of how we should play and unrealistic ideals of fitness levels, then ramming it down the players' throats win or lose, cookie cutter style.

If there's one think I'd like to see Eakins change is to just lighten it up a bit and go with the flow. Nothing in hockey is black and white.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

there is the possibility (and he hinted at this) that his first month or two were met with resistance from many in the lineup. As a result of the many coaching changes (along with everyone constantly stroking them), these young guns probably have an exaggerated sense of power. Eakins comes in, he's a hard nose, and they don't like him.

its a plausible theory, anyways.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Soundwave

I wouldn't say the Oilers "battled" for Krueger. They're just even worse under Eakins' system.

The problem with Eakins' system is it requires too much thinking/adjusting on the fly and this team is not built to play that game. The game has to be kept simple.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Oi'll say!

Game 61 and the Oilers have been shut out 8 times now, and they've lost by 3 goals or more 18 times.

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to lose by 3 but the reality is that there wasn't much of this game where it felt like the Oilers were in it.

It's a lot different from a 4-3 loss where the team came back and tied it once, had the lead for a bit and ended up with a loss.

The Oilers had a better winning percentage under Krueger but it's also worth noting the losses were seldom this bad.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I wouldn't say the Oilers "battled" for Krueger. They're just even worse under Eakins' system.

The problem with Eakins' system is it requires too much thinking/adjusting on the fly and this team is not built to play that game. The game has to be kept simple.
The problem is the Oilers never do the simple thing. Puck in the slot? Pass it. 2 on 1? Pass it. Guy coming for a hit? Panic pass it.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:33 PM
redgrant

After that Latvia game I noticed Don Cherry was embarassed at how Ted Nolan had been blackballed all these years.

The following game he noted "great coaches like Ted Nolan will tell his team get that puck on net" then he showed a montage of the latvians doing that.

It all comes back to keeping it simple which Eakins has failed abysmally at.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:33 PM
GMofOilers

So the last few days we have listened to this guy talking a great game. All talk no action! What a bum

Old
02-27-2014, 11:38 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
The good structural changes that MacT says Eakins is providing were really on display tonight. The pathetic coverage on the 1st Wild goal and leaving a guy wide open near the slot for the 2nd goal. Just awesome stuff. So, 3/4 of the season over and the kids still are not as good as last season. They had harder match ups last year and won the possession battle and Nuge did it with 1 bum shoulder.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

This is how out of touch this idiot is , he thought Belov had a ok game, He wants to turn us into a 1-0 winning defensive team , Do people realize how ****ed we are going ahead with this clown at the coaching helm. Just fn sickening.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Don't worry guys, MacT is pleased with the job that he's doing!

All joking aside if Eakins is the coach here beyond this season we will see some of the youth that we have accumulated dealt to build the team around Eakins vision. ****ing awesome!

02-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

All joking aside if Eakins is the coach here beyond this season we will see some of the youth that we have accumulated dealt to build the team around Eakins vision. ****ing awesome!
Eakins wins the best car salesman of the year award, this makes the (want to be smart sounding MacT) look like a fool, who has been fooled by the over confident rookie coach.

I can't imagine listening to a conversation between Lowe, MacT, Eakins. Who is the brain trust in this group?

Old
02-28-2014, 02:16 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
Eakins wins the best car salesman of the year award, this makes the (want to be smart sounding MacT) look like a fool, who has been fooled by the over confident rookie coach.

I can't imagine listening to a conversation between Lowe, MacT, Eakins. Who is the brain trust in this group?
Long answer: A fly on the wall that just flew in after dining on a pile of dog **** outside.

Short answer: Buchberger

Old
02-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Eakins is here to the start next season, no doubt about that. Now if the Oilers are at the bottom of the standings after 20-25, then there is no justifying it. On the bright side, we are slowly cleaning house with new assistant coaches possibly coming in. Stauffer has hinted towards that and I hope he is right. If Eakins can get this team to even contend for a playoff spot next season, it's not bad. If we are in the bottom of the standings after 20 games or so, I would lose all faith in MacT. Should have just kept Krueger and hired new assistant coaches and see what he could have done. If he failed, at least Laviolette would have been available (perfect coach for this team IMO).

Old
02-28-2014, 04:50 AM
Live from Rexall

Sorry to jump in here but I had a thought and I don't know who the resident photoshopper is and I am terrible at it. Can someone fix this up for me.

Was watching some Doctor Who Reruns on TV yesterday and realised David Tennant looks just like Dallas Eakins!

[IMG]
screen shot on a pc[/IMG]

Closed Thread