HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2014, 02:12 PM
  #601
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
When Eakins played RNH 28 minutes in his first game of the season after he came back from his injury/surgery recovery... that was a pretty telling sign that the coach is an idiot. He played RNH 25+ minutes in his next 2 games as well.
Ok... you can make an argument that he wanted to "push" the young #1C to see how fit he was and see what he had... but 28 minutes in his 1st game back? I don't see the logic in that.

Eakins is a lot of talk and very little results. His ice-time management and "systems" leave a lot to be desired... but most of all I can excuse a lot but actual game performances and results are what matters and bottom line is he simply isn't getting them when the goalies look anything other than superb in a game.
yep. We were commenting on it at the time. Not only do no other coaches do that type of thing with players coming back from injury it goes against any sensible approach to recovery from injury.

This was coaching, rehab, recovery fail all at once.

Still not sure what the reason for it.

I remember when asked wny Nuge had so many minutes and Gordon so few Eakins response one postgame was that it kind of got away from him. In the back of his head he knew he should be going back to Gordon more but it didn't happen enough?!

At that point I knew this guy was in way over his head. Can't even manage a bench.

Replacement is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  #602
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 508
I don't know. Still think it's more to do with the mix of players. Too small, too soft, too young.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 03:38 PM
  #603
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
I don't deny that Eakins got a **** sandwich to work with when MacT gave him that mediocre goalie tandem and that "roll the dice and let's see how these guys work together" defensive corps.

Saying that though... he's shown absolutely nothing to make us think he has any ability to get anything other than what our worst case scenario was for this team... another basement finish... and that's exactly what we are getting.

It it wasn't for the Sabres essentially dismantling their team and going ultra-tank mode... the Oilers would be knocking in the door for 30th again.

I blame Lowe, MacT and Eakins... they all get a share of the blame.

8 years without playoffs and the team is in 29th place... that simply isn't good enough and heads have to roll... Eakins and the coaching staff is a solid place to start... and MacT soon after if he can't at least make this team look competitive again next season.

If this team needs their goalies to get 93-94% type performances just to look like they can compete... that's simply not sustainable and it's an indication that the players, coaching and management all need severe changes.

You can't simply hang your hat on goaltending to pull you up out of the gutter and "hope" everything else comes around eventually... but that's essentially the track the coach and management is going down.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
  #604
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
I don't know. Still think it's more to do with the mix of players. Too small, too soft, too young.
Yea well the mix of players was worse the 3 years prior and we still performed better. Eakins makes Renney look like he should of won the Jack Adams.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 05:10 PM
  #605
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
30-30-29-24-29

That's a consistency of suck almost unrivalled in recent hockey history. Last year's 24th basically looks like a blemish on that sterling record of futility.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  #606
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,692
vCash: 50
Absolute joke of a coach.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
  #607
Slicknitty
0 to 30th Real Quick
 
Slicknitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City of Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
30-30-29-24-29

That's a consistency of suck almost unrivalled in recent hockey history. Last year's 24th basically looks like a blemish on that sterling record of futility.
Don't worry, we can make up for it next year in the Mcdavid sweepstakes when we suck again.

Slicknitty is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  #608
MrOiler
Registered User
 
MrOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 500
This thread is ridiculous. Most of the posters haven't got a clue that the season was lost 20 games in and that the team has been improving since then.

It's simple arithmetic that anyone with a grade 6 education can prove to themselves.

Over the last 5 years you have needed to get 1.117 points per game on average to make the playoffs. In the first 20 games, the Oil was at 0.5 points per game - 12.4 points behind the pace after a mere 20 games (4-14-1-1 record).

It was over then. Done.

To make the playoffs after game 20, the Oilers then had to play at a 1.316 points per game rate for the remaining 62 games. That means for the remaining 62 games they had to play as well as Pittsburgh and Chicago and better than LA has this season just to make the playoffs.

There was no chance of that.

However, since Jan. 15th when the Hendricks/Dubnyk deal and the Scrivens deal was made, the Oilers have played at a 1.091 points/game pace which would have put them only 2 points out of the playoffs if they would have played that way all year.

Most people would have been satisfied with a year where the Oil had only missed the playoffs by 2 points. They have been playing at that pace since Jan. 15/14.

That's a big improvement since the first 20 games when they were on pace of finishing out of the playoffs by 50 points. That's a huge difference.

People who haven't seen improvement simply aren't paying attention, because if the Oilers play like they have been playing the last 2 months for a full season, they will be in a playoff race on the last game of the year. It's bad enough that this thread is full of whiners, but dumb and lazy whiners should be forced to be Canucks fans.


Last edited by MrOiler: 03-22-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: To add a Canucks fan cheap shot.
MrOiler is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 06:07 PM
  #609
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
^^^goaltending, that is all

Philly85 is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
  #610
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Most of the posters haven't got a clue that the season was lost 20 games in and that the team has been improving since then.

It's simple arithmetic that anyone with a grade 6 education can prove to themselves.

Over the last 5 years you have needed to get 1.117 points per game on average to make the playoffs. In the first 20 games, the Oil was at 0.5 points per game - 12.4 points behind the pace after a mere 20 games (4-14-1-1 record).

It was over then. Done.

To make the playoffs after game 20, the Oilers then had to play at a 1.316 points per game rate for the remaining 62 games. That means for the remaining 62 games they had to play as well as Pittsburgh and Chicago and better than LA has this season just to make the playoffs.

There was no chance of that.

However, since Jan. 15th when the Hendricks/Dubnyk deal and the Scrivens deal was made, the Oilers have played at a 1.091 points/game pace which would have put them only 2 points out of the playoffs if they would have played that way all year.

Most people would have been satisfied with a year where the Oil had only missed the playoffs by 2 points. They have been playing at that pace since Jan. 15/14.

That's a big improvement since the first 20 games when they were on pace of finishing out of the playoffs by 50 points. That's a huge difference.

People who haven't seen improvement simply aren't paying attention.
It matters not at all if you suck in the 1st 10 game so the year the last 10 games 10 games in the middle of the season. If improvement is watching your goalie get a 59 save shutout and like games then you are in trouble. all you have to do is actually watch the team play, stats by time of year aside.

If they play a good team that is on their game there is no chance for a win.

If they play a good team who is playing badly they will probably lose a close game.

If they play a bad team and they are not on their game they will lose.

You can pick out little improvements from any one of the last 4 or 5 years and smile that there is improvement, in the end the team is in the dumpster again and no small improvement later in this year is bound to carry over to next year. It never has in the past, why should it happen next year?

Beerfish is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 06:52 PM
  #611
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I don't deny that Eakins got a **** sandwich to work with when MacT gave him that mediocre goalie tandem and that "roll the dice and let's see how these guys work together" defensive corps.

Saying that though... he's shown absolutely nothing to make us think he has any ability to get anything other than what our worst case scenario was for this team... another basement finish... and that's exactly what we are getting.

It it wasn't for the Sabres essentially dismantling their team and going ultra-tank mode... the Oilers would be knocking in the door for 30th again.

I blame Lowe, MacT and Eakins... they all get a share of the blame.

8 years without playoffs and the team is in 29th place... that simply isn't good enough and heads have to roll... Eakins and the coaching staff is a solid place to start... and MacT soon after if he can't at least make this team look competitive again next season.

If this team needs their goalies to get 93-94% type performances just to look like they can compete... that's simply not sustainable and it's an indication that the players, coaching and management all need severe changes.

You can't simply hang your hat on goaltending to pull you up out of the gutter and "hope" everything else comes around eventually... but that's essentially the track the coach and management is going down.
True. Just when I agree he's gotta go, they start looking good... Then we get the buffalo effort on Thursday. I really don't know.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
  #612
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Most of the posters haven't got a clue that the season was lost 20 games in and that the team has been improving since then.
[/I]
News flash. The season was actually over when the Oilers started off with their top 2 centers injured.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 08:29 PM
  #613
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
However, since Jan. 15th when the Hendricks/Dubnyk deal and the Scrivens deal was made, the Oilers have played at a 1.091 points/game pace which would have put them only 2 points out of the playoffs if they would have played that way all year.

Most people would have been satisfied with a year where the Oil had only missed the playoffs by 2 points. They have been playing at that pace since Jan. 15/14.

That's a big improvement since the first 20 games when they were on pace of finishing out of the playoffs by 50 points. That's a huge difference.

People who haven't seen improvement simply aren't paying attention, because if the Oilers play like they have been playing the last 2 months for a full season, they will be in a playoff race on the last game of the year. It's bad enough that this thread is full of whiners, but dumb and lazy whiners should be forced to be Canucks fans.
This thread is about Eakins, the fact that Scrivens' unbelievable sv% is propping up this team has no real bearing here imo.

If the Oil were winning because their skaters were outplaying the opposition that would be one thing but noone on the coaching staff gets any credit for this. Not even the goalie coach, because Scrivens career to this point is mainly due to coaching and development he received elsewhere.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 08:55 PM
  #614
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
If I was to give a coach some credit around here I'd give it to Todd Nelson.

Justin Schultz left Nelson's team and had 7 points and +1 after his first eleven games.

Arco came here and had 10 points +5 in his first 11 games here.

Eberle 8 points +0 after 11 games in the ahl

RNH 6 pts +2 after 11 in the ahl

Hall 10 pts +3 after 11 in the ahl

Marincin is playing his first 33 games here after 78 games in the ahl.



Seems like players are making the jump from the ahl with the ability to play at the nhl level.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 09:11 PM
  #615
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,429
vCash: 50
The Oilers have been playing better now than at the start of the season. It's not just the save percentage. It's not just Hendricks either.

That isn't saying much though. Just like with Krueger, Eakins started by doing a lot of crazy things. It wasn't just that he was playing our top forwards 25 minutes a night. It wasn't just that he was pulling the goalie with 10+ minutes to go in the third. It's not just that his version of the swarm flopped on its face. It's all these things and more.

There's no denying that Eakins is running the team a lot better now but that isn't saying a whole lot. The question is, how good should the team be now? We've been playing good enough to be a bubble playoff team lately. Imo, for me that's good enough but Eakins has to keep up this general trend for the rest of this season, not just for a dozen games.

If he can do that, then I definitely don't want him fired. Our preference should be to keep things to same rather than rotate another coach in and potentially go through yet another harsh adjustment period with a new coach.

Mr Positive is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 09:38 PM
  #616
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It matters not at all if you suck in the 1st 10 game so the year the last 10 games 10 games in the middle of the season. If improvement is watching your goalie get a 59 save shutout and like games then you are in trouble. all you have to do is actually watch the team play, stats by time of year aside.

If they play a good team that is on their game there is no chance for a win.

If they play a good team who is playing badly they will probably lose a close game.

If they play a bad team and they are not on their game they will lose.

You can pick out little improvements from any one of the last 4 or 5 years and smile that there is improvement, in the end the team is in the dumpster again and no small improvement later in this year is bound to carry over to next year. It never has in the past, why should it happen next year?
Remember Renney's last year when the team lost twenty something one goal games and the puppy dogs and rainbows crowd was convinced that all those close games meant the team was ready to turn the corner next year?

rboomercat90 is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 09:38 PM
  #617
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
The Oilers have been playing better now than at the start of the season. It's not just the save percentage. It's not just Hendricks either.

That isn't saying much though. Just like with Krueger, Eakins started by doing a lot of crazy things. It wasn't just that he was playing our top forwards 25 minutes a night. It wasn't just that he was pulling the goalie with 10+ minutes to go in the third. It's not just that his version of the swarm flopped on its face. It's all these things and more.

There's no denying that Eakins is running the team a lot better now but that isn't saying a whole lot. The question is, how good should the team be now? We've been playing good enough to be a bubble playoff team lately. Imo, for me that's good enough but Eakins has to keep up this general trend for the rest of this season, not just for a dozen games.

If he can do that, then I definitely don't want him fired. Our preference should be to keep things to same rather than rotate another coach in and potentially go through yet another harsh adjustment period with a new coach.
A lot of players on this team have already played for Nelson, including a big part of the core. If Nelson came in I donèt think it would be a total shocker.

As far as the team playing well or 'continuing to improve' under Eakins I'm not too worried about that happening. He will do poorly enough to deserve the heave ho, he is just unlikely to get it.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 09:40 PM
  #618
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Remember Renney's last year when the team lost twenty something one goal games and the puppy dogs and rainbows crowd was convinced that all those close games meant the team was ready to turn the corner next year?
One goal losses would be considered wins on this team from an entertainment standpoint. I'm not kidding.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
  #619
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
The Oilers have been playing better now than at the start of the season. It's not just the save percentage. It's not just Hendricks either.

That isn't saying much though. Just like with Krueger, Eakins started by doing a lot of crazy things. It wasn't just that he was playing our top forwards 25 minutes a night. It wasn't just that he was pulling the goalie with 10+ minutes to go in the third. It's not just that his version of the swarm flopped on its face. It's all these things and more.

There's no denying that Eakins is running the team a lot better now but that isn't saying a whole lot. The question is, how good should the team be now? We've been playing good enough to be a bubble playoff team lately. Imo, for me that's good enough but Eakins has to keep up this general trend for the rest of this season, not just for a dozen games.

If he can do that, then I definitely don't want him fired. Our preference should be to keep things to same rather than rotate another coach in and potentially go through yet another harsh adjustment period with a new coach.
pretty much where I am on it. they've been .500 since a 4-15-2 start, which can largely be blamed on goaltending. That's probably good enough to give him the reigns to start next year.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 10:19 PM
  #620
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Remember Renney's last year when the team lost twenty something one goal games and the puppy dogs and rainbows crowd was convinced that all those close games meant the team was ready to turn the corner next year?
We were tied for 8th place for a few days last year under Krueger. We are close..........

Beerfish is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 10:31 PM
  #621
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Remember Renney's last year when the team lost twenty something one goal games and the puppy dogs and rainbows crowd was convinced that all those close games meant the team was ready to turn the corner next year?
not so much that he's done such a good job, but they are better then the start of the year. When you talk about the eye test, they've looked terrible (like against Buffalo) less often then in Oct./Nov. Yes, when they are bad, they look like a junior team, but it's less often and they do look like an NHL team more often, now. They have improved with time, so maybe MacT was right. It took 50 games, and they are not there yet, but you can see that with a couple savvy acquisitions they should be almost acceptable next year.

I'm just ready to sack him yet.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 11:31 PM
  #622
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,692
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Most of the posters haven't got a clue that the season was lost 20 games in and that the team has been improving since then.

It's simple arithmetic that anyone with a grade 6 education can prove to themselves.

Over the last 5 years you have needed to get 1.117 points per game on average to make the playoffs. In the first 20 games, the Oil was at 0.5 points per game - 12.4 points behind the pace after a mere 20 games (4-14-1-1 record).

It was over then. Done.

To make the playoffs after game 20, the Oilers then had to play at a 1.316 points per game rate for the remaining 62 games. That means for the remaining 62 games they had to play as well as Pittsburgh and Chicago and better than LA has this season just to make the playoffs.

There was no chance of that.

However, since Jan. 15th when the Hendricks/Dubnyk deal and the Scrivens deal was made, the Oilers have played at a 1.091 points/game pace which would have put them only 2 points out of the playoffs if they would have played that way all year.

Most people would have been satisfied with a year where the Oil had only missed the playoffs by 2 points. They have been playing at that pace since Jan. 15/14.

That's a big improvement since the first 20 games when they were on pace of finishing out of the playoffs by 50 points. That's a huge difference.

People who haven't seen improvement simply aren't paying attention, because if the Oilers play like they have been playing the last 2 months for a full season, they will be in a playoff race on the last game of the year. It's bad enough that this thread is full of whiners, but dumb and lazy whiners should be forced to be Canucks fans.
Such a fail post.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 11:39 PM
  #623
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Remember Renney's last year when the team lost twenty something one goal games and the puppy dogs and rainbows crowd was convinced that all those close games meant the team was ready to turn the corner next year?
Right now the Oil are down by 4 goals with just a few mins left in the second period... this will be the 20th time the Oilers lose by 3 goals or more this season and they will have played 72 games.

A loss is a loss but still a 1 goal loss is worth watching, anything can happen in a game that close. I'd rather play candy crush saga than watch the Oilers get snotted by the Flames.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 11:45 PM
  #624
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 50
Eakins is quickly going towards the Guy Boucher category of rookie overhyped AHL coaches who can't do nothing in the NHL

Fixed to Ruin is offline  
Old
03-22-2014, 11:52 PM
  #625
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
Well this is the beginning of the end for Eakins, now the infighting is public. Doesn't matter whether you think it's his fault or not, you can't bring a coach back if the players aren't going to listen to him.

Arpeggio is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.