HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Mcnitty
such wow

vCash: 391
Anyone else think the whole sequence was a bit over dramatic? It was like watching a scene in a movie almost, especially Eakins' reaction... sooooo over the top. Reminded me of when Leonidas threw a spear at Xerxes and seeing Xerxe's reaction...lol

"he...he...he touched...me!"

Old
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
gwiz999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He is the de facto leader of this team but half of the time he doesn't seem to care one lick about it. He wasn't even embarrassed after that game last night. Yet Jordan Eberle was? What the hell's that about?

Hall's good but he could be so much better if he used his mind and his body.
So true.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:07 PM
hyster110

the issue i see is that this isn't the only time that hall has visibly shown his frustrations. i get that this is a tough year but when your constantly throwing tantrums its making it about you and not the team game. maybe instead of throwing bottles, and swearing at the top of your lungs, go out and use that frustration to make a hit, play aggressive. constantly doing that shows immaturity for a professional team sport

Old
03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I wonder what would happen if a player simply punched a coach in the face. Would there be a brawl? Would other players jump in to save the player or the coach? The other coaches, what would they do? How would the media portray them?

Not saying it should happen, just a genuinely curious question that came to mind.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
He is the de facto leader of this team but half of the time he doesn't seem to care one lick about it. He wasn't even embarrassed after that game last night. Yet Jordan Eberle was? What the hell's that about?

Hall's good but he could be so much better if he used his mind and his body.
ppg on a **** team, plays with more consistency than any other player on the team and the only one of our 1st overall picks living up to the hype. What more can he do? The expectations are absurd and remind me of the irrational hate people had for Hemsky.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:17 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrispy View Post
ppg on a **** team, plays with more consistency than any other player on the team and the only one of our 1st overall picks living up to the hype. What more can he do? The expectations are absurd and remind me of the irrational hate people had for Hemsky.
Difference between Hall and Hemsky - Hemsky mails it in pretty much every game after 08 [or was that 09?] and he's way more predictable than Hall when he has the puck [though Hall being unpredictable hasn't always worked out]

Old
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
That's not exactly saying much.

We've seen him be a dominant player. When he's throwing his weight around and getting in on the forecheck, that's when he's at his best. We've barely seen that this season.

If he wants to be a superstar he has to take his game to the next level. You'd think getting snubbed by TC would've been an eye-opening experience.

Look at the biggest superstars around this league. Crosby, Toews, Tavares... Do you see them quitting on their teams? And before you give me the "Because they're on good teams" excuse, Tavares' team has been crap for the majority of his career and his team's management is arguably even more screwy than ours! As for Toews, he was really, I mean REALLY struggling in the post-season last year. To the point where he was pouting on the bench. Some of the other players helped him through it, he got back on the horse, and completely tore the remaining teams a new one after that. That's what I think Hall could do if he put his mind to it.

Hall has the potential to drag this team to the promised land like Perry did a few seasons ago. Or like Tavares did last year. He needs to become that "Follow me" kind of player that inspires other players. He doesn't have to be a superstar every single night but I can't accept performances like last night. Yes it was a bad situation all around, but he was so bad, so out of position, so completely useless it was actually shocking. Glenn Freaking Healy tore him a new one when there were plenty of culprits around the team.

Hall is good, don't get me wrong, but can't he be better?

Old
03-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
I dunno... I expect him to act like a professional and not throw a fit on the bench when he's been told to ride the pine.

You know what pros do? They man up and play their ass off when given a chance to get back on the ice.

Too much to expect I guess.

Too bad we didn't have a stronger leadership core when these kids were rookies so this stuff would've been ironed out long ago.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:31 PM
MarkGio

I recall Taylor Hall getting in trouble for getting into a fight when he busted his hand.

The kid was drafted because of his character, which was then buffered out because there was a fear of injuries. There's a bit of a cake-and-eat-it-too paradox happening because Hall is too often criticized when he's emotional but then he's asked to be consistently engaged. Taylor Hall reminds me of Iginla in some ways, except Iggy had very little surrounding talent, so he had to shoulder the game. But Iginla was also given the thumbs up to drop the gloves, take physical penalties, and be as upset as he wanted to be.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Interesting that now you don't even have to isolate games vs the West anymore for Eakins' 5 on 5 close Corsi and Fenwick stats to be worse than last seasons. Doubt those numbers will improve over the next 10 games. It's another run that looks like what Krueger had to deal with all of last year.

Considering last year we played only the west, had no Perron, 1 arm Nuge and lots of injuries last season, especially to centers, it really puts into perspective how terrible this season has been.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM
doggone

Quote:

We've seen him be a dominant player. When he's throwing his weight around and getting in on the forecheck, that's when he's at his best. We've barely seen that this season.

If he wants to be a superstar he has to take his game to the next level. You'd think getting snubbed by TC would've been an eye-opening experience.

Look at the biggest superstars around this league. Crosby, Toews, Tavares... Do you see them quitting on their teams? And before you give me the "Because they're on good teams" excuse, Tavares' team has been crap for the majority of his career and his team's management is arguably even more screwy than ours! As for Toews, he was really, I mean REALLY struggling in the post-season last year. To the point where he was pouting on the bench. Some of the other players helped him through it, he got back on the horse, and completely tore the remaining teams a new one after that. That's what I think Hall could do if he put his mind to it.

Hall has the potential to drag this team to the promised land like Perry did a few seasons ago. Or like Tavares did last year. He needs to become that "Follow me" kind of player that inspires other players. He doesn't have to be a superstar every single night but I can't accept performances like last night. Yes it was a bad situation all around, but he was so bad, so out of position, so completely useless it was actually shocking. Glenn Freaking Healy tore him a new one when there were plenty of culprits around the team.

well said GK.I knew you had it in you. I too think the kid can and will be better, and I think he will use last night as a springboard to take no prisoners in doing so. Just too much talent to waste

Old
03-23-2014, 03:45 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I actually thought that he squirted Eakins on purpose.

My mistake.

Nonetheless, I'm part of a large Italian family with allot of toddlers....so I have seen this type of reaction to adversity at family occasions. Not so much from a twenty something, $6 million a year playerswho many are touting as the next captain of the team.

And it still shows disrespect for all 3 parties....as well as making him look like a fool.
Meanwhile Eakins actually does throw something at someone, and he's twice as old as Hall. So if Hall getting mad shows a character flaw, what does that say about Eakins throwing a fit about getting his suit wet?

Old
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I recall Taylor Hall getting in trouble for getting into a fight when he busted his hand.

The kid was drafted because of his character, which was then buffered out because there was a fear of injuries. There's a bit of a cake-and-eat-it-too paradox happening because Hall is too often criticized when he's emotional but then he's asked to be consistently engaged. Taylor Hall reminds me of Iginla in some ways, except Iggy had very little surrounding talent, so he had to shoulder the game. But Iginla was also given the thumbs up to drop the gloves, take physical penalties, and be as upset as he wanted to be.
You have GOT to be kidding

Old
03-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Interesting that now you don't even have to isolate games vs the West anymore for Eakins' 5 on 5 close Corsi and Fenwick stats to be worse than last seasons. Doubt those numbers will improve over the next 10 games. It's another run that looks like what Krueger had to deal with all of last year.

Considering last year we played only the west, had no Perron, 1 arm Nuge and lots of injuries last season, especially to centers, it really puts into perspective how terrible this season has been.
I would like to add we also had a black hole vortex in Eric Belanger, Lockout shortened season and a terrible GM in Tambo who made no trades to help the team when we lost our center depth early in the season with injures. Then when the Oilers made up lost ground and sat in a playoff position at the deadline. Tambo sat on his hands again acquiring Smithson as his big move to help the club.

IMO, Kruger has a successful season considering the circumstances. Unfortunately for us, MacT bought into the Eakins Toronto Media hype and fired Kruger before we really knew if he could bring this team to the playoffs or not.

The wandering in the desert continues.

Old
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

You overrate Tavares. I get it, Hall's not the sexy cerebral center everyone loves, but his numbers are up there with him. The Isles also play in the weaker conference. Toews is great defensively, but he's not on Hall's level offensively. The Blackhawks are well-coached and deep in all areas so when Toews isn't scoring, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith etc. can step up. And Crosby is Crosby, so there's no point getting into that.

I'm not saying Hall should get a pass for when he makes stupid plays and turnovers. Accountability for every player is something I support, but RNH, Eberle, and Gagner have been absolutely pathetic this year and should be getting a lot more heat. Hall at the very least plays all-out most of the time which shows he still cares.

Yeah, he could be better defensively, but that's the last of this team's problems when you have your dmen being crap defensively, your top 2 centermen being crap defensively and also not scoring, and your scoring wingers not scoring. Hall continues to put up points without much support, so I think he should get some slack for that.

We've hit rock bottom, but the worst possible thing that could happen now is Hall becoming indifferent.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:00 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
I dunno... I expect him to act like a professional and not throw a fit on the bench when he's been told to ride the pine.

You know what pros do? They man up and play their ass off when given a chance to get back on the ice.

Too much to expect I guess.

Too bad we didn't have a stronger leadership core when these kids were rookies so this stuff would've been ironed out long ago.
Hissy fit? He threw a ****ing water bottle. Something that happens how many times do you think in an NHL season?

And to be clear: he didn't throw a hissy for getting benched. He got benched AFTER the 'hissy fit' because the coach got wet.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
You overrate Tavares. I get it, Hall's not the sexy cerebral center everyone loves, but his numbers are up there with him. The Isles also play in the weaker conference. Toews is great defensively, but he's not on Hall's level offensively. The Blackhawks are well-coached and deep in all areas so when Toews isn't scoring, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith etc. can step up. And Crosby is Crosby, so there's no point getting into that.

I'm not saying Hall should get a pass for when he makes stupid plays and turnovers. Accountability for every player is something I support, but RNH, Eberle, and Gagner have been absolutely pathetic this year and should be getting a lot more heat. Hall at the very least plays all-out most of the time which shows he still cares.

Yeah, he could be better defensively, but that's the last of this team's problems when you have your dmen being crap defensively, your top 2 centermen being crap defensively and also not scoring, and your scoring wingers not scoring. Hall continues to put up points without much support, so I think he should get some slack for that.

We've hit rock bottom, but the worst possible thing that could happen now is Hall becoming indifferent.
Every time I say we've hit rock bottom, they get lower.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:34 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
The roster this year is better, yes. But Krueger had .921 sv% Dubnyk, not .889sv% Dubnyk. Funny what a little bad goaltending will do.
Kreuger also had Gagner producing at a much better pace, and RNH even if his points weren't up there looked like he knew what he was doing, Eberle looked more effective too, and Yakupov was one of the teams best goal scorers... So maybe, just maybe part of the reason players played better last year is because Kreuger was a better coach? Eakins just really doesn't seem to be a good teacher. He seems like the kind of guy who knows what people should be doing but can't communicate it to players. Maybe he'd work well with an experienced team, but as far as teaching young players he is failing in a spectacular fashion.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
Kreuger also had Gagner producing at a much better pace, and RNH even if his points weren't up there looked like he knew what he was doing, Eberle looked more effective too, and Yakupov was one of the teams best goal scorers... So maybe, just maybe part of the reason players played better last year is because Kreuger was a better coach? Eakins just really doesn't seem to be a good teacher. He seems like the kind of guy who knows what people should be doing but can't communicate it to players. Maybe he'd work well with an experienced team, but as far as teaching young players he is failing in a spectacular fashion.
hockey isnt all about points, in case you missed it last year we were in free fall for the final 15ish games and we looked awful. even before that our even strength play was awful and we barely survived games. our pp saved us then. i would much prefer a great 5 on 5 team over a team that sucks 5 on 5 but lights up the pp. cause everyone on this board knows that come playoffs, powerplays are few and far between

Old
03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Up the Irons

It's safe to say he hasn't done a good job. So, he either did a forgivably bad job, or just a bad job.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Soundwave

Eakins should be fired but Mac T can't save face by firing him now so he won't be. They will play the "continuity" card and the "team was improving in the 2nd half!" card at the year end press conference. Eakins will get at least another training camp and 20-30 games next year.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:51 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
hockey isnt all about points, in case you missed it last year we were in free fall for the final 15ish games and we looked awful. even before that our even strength play was awful and we barely survived games. our pp saved us then. i would much prefer a great 5 on 5 team over a team that sucks 5 on 5 but lights up the pp. cause everyone on this board knows that come playoffs, powerplays are few and far between
This team is worse than last year 5 on 5 when the score is close... Even though we have been able to beat up on some weak eastern teams. This year the team is worse in almost every way with a better and more experienced lineup on paper. The numbers will likely tank even more over the last 10 since we have to play lots of western teams which we are massively worse against this year than last year.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just speaking for myself, I agree with everything you say here. But the issue at hand is not his play, or how good he is. The issue is his maturity level and what he does when faced with an issue such as losing 8-1 to a harder working Calgary team.

Does anyone think one of the great leaders of Edmonton Oiler history, Mark Messier, would resort to throwing inanimate objects at the floor? Nope. He would throw elbows at heads and fists at faces of the opposing team. Then he would nonchalantly pick up any teammate who wasn't giving it his all and use him as a wall hanging.

Hall has given us allot on the ice this year, much more than any other Oiler IMO. But grasshopper must still learn to hop in situations like this, not throw a water bottle at the ground.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Just speaking for myself, I agree with everything you say here. But the issue at hand is not his play, or how good he is. The issue is his maturity level and what he does when faced with an issue such as losing 8-1 to a harder working Calgary team.

Does anyone think one of the great leaders of Edmonton Oiler history, Mark Messier, would resort to throwing inanimate objects at the floor? Nope. He would throw elbows at heads and fists at faces of the opposing team. Then he would nonchalantly pick up any teammate who wasn't giving it his all and use him as a wall hanging.

Hall has given us allot on the ice this year, much more than any other Oiler IMO. But grasshopper must still learn to hop in situations like this, not throw a water bottle at the ground.
A 21-year-old Messier? After 3+ years of losing? Losing 8-1? I could see him throwing a water bottle. It's not a big deal, players throw things/smash their stick/kick the boards/punch a wall all the time.

This just happened to splash water on our style savvy head coach and the coach flipped.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Eakins should be fired but Mac T can't save face by firing him now so he won't be. They will play the "continuity" card and the "team was improving in the 2nd half!" card at the year end press conference. Eakins will get at least another training camp and 20-30 games next year.
Book it.

Closed Thread