HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
If a coach isn't working then you let him go. It doesn't matter if it's your 10th coach in 10 seasons. Now if this was an established coach with no history of players rebelling against him then you fix the problem players. Eakins is more along the lines of Keenan and Tortarella.

Old
03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Eakins shouldn't be fired? How coaches do you have to go through before you realize it's the the players that are not working. You simply can't go through a new coach after every season.
I hope so.

If the 'only' reason to not fire him due to the many firings prior to his hiring is the excuse, this team is in major trouble. Eakins is by far the worst coach in Oilers history. You fire as many coaches as needed. Look at how many coaches Chicago went through during their rebuild!

Eakins is brutal so yes, you fire his *** ASAP!

Eakins is a huge embarrassment!

Old
03-23-2014, 09:02 PM
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
You can't go through 4 coaches in 4 seasons. What message is that sending to the players? If you don't like your coach you can play like a crap and you'll get a new one next year? It's time to have some accountability.
You think athletes would play like crap, on purpose, to get rid a coach because previous coaches were fired??? You think these guys want to lose? Coaches that don't win get fired. Full stop.
Does Eakins have some other history of superb NHL coaching, complete with a good winning percentage that I'm not aware of? Would Eakins be the first AHL coach that didn't pan out in the NHL??? He wouldn't even be the first AHL coach the didn't pan out for this team...but we had Slats back then who was smart enough not to give someone with no track record a 4 year deal.

I AM NOT SAYING THE PLAYERS ARE NOT ALSO TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED THIS SEASON.

Eakins can be a **** coach (which he is) and the players can suck as well (and they do). It's very easy to change the coach and much harder to change the players. Both need to be done.

This team had so many areas they could improve in over last years team, instead they're worse in every area. Eakins has made nothing better. His hissy-fit on the bench last night is everything no NHL coach should be about.

Old
03-23-2014, 09:11 PM
GMofOilers

Well pretty disappointed the Oilers didnt fire this loser today. I really think this team is more ****** than I ever imagined it being.

Sad day to be a Oiler fan, thats all I know.

Old
03-23-2014, 09:14 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Well pretty disappointed the Oilers didnt fire this loser today. I really think this team is more ****** than I ever imagined it being.

Any sane organization would have fired Eakins after that embarrassing debacle yesterday. Sadly we are not in that category

Old
03-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post

After Eakins was hired, MacTavish stated that he should be judged on the basis of this hire.

Why MacTavish would attach his own credibility to the performance of a rookie head coach is anybody's guess. Not exactly a bright thing to do.

An egomaniac like MacTavish isn't capable of admitting mistakes, and he would look like a fool if he fired Eakins now. We can only guess how strongly MacTavish has gone to bat for Eakins internally, with Katz. He has clearly tied himself to Eakins in a major way, so now we're stuck with him.

I can't imagine Katz is too pleased with having to foot the bill for this clown for the next 4 years - all as a result of MacTavish's lack of judgment.

Hopefully Katz grows a pair at some point, decides to cut his losses, and runs all of these buffoons out of the organization.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 03-23-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old
03-23-2014, 09:29 PM
vespa99

Eakins needs to spend less time looking in the mirror and more time on coming up with a game plan.

Old
03-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Any sane organization would have fired Eakins after that embarrassing debacle yesterday. Sadly we are not in that category
Vancouver wouldn't.

Old
03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Red Deer Rebel

I believe both Tortorella and Carlyle will be fired at the end of the year ...

... and Eakins makes the two of them look good.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:20 PM
oilman9482

I liked the hiring of Eakins originally and I thought he'd figure things out eventually. I also like that he is into good nutrition and fitness. What I don't like is the team's performance and I doubt that it will improve with Eakins at the helm. Hopefully he isn't the coach next year, I don't think he is a good motivator and he doesn't seem like a people person(which I believe every coach should be).

Old
03-23-2014, 10:39 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

Quick, someone put Mac T head in this one.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:45 PM
EverettMike

Is there any chance everyone is gone at season's end?

Lowe, MacT, Eakins?

Old
03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

Lowe, MacT, Eakins?
MacT has been pretty good in trying to improve the team, if you dismiss the Eakins signing, then I think he had a pretty solid first year as a GM.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:51 PM
ResilientBeast
5-14-6-1

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post
I liked the hiring of Eakins originally and I thought he'd figure things out eventually. I also like that he is into good nutrition and fitness. What I don't like is the team's performance and I doubt that it will improve with Eakins at the helm. Hopefully he isn't the coach next year, I don't think he is a good motivator and he doesn't seem like a people person(which I believe every coach should be).
But his fitness and nutrition hasn't helped, the team still always looks exhausted by the middle of the second.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:52 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Eakins is too young or too inexperienced or something to get the team to play his way. Whether his way is right or wrong Eakins must go or the kids must go.

If MacT believes Eakins is the best future coach then he will support him this summer and trade the obstinence out of the team or sure better. The team MUST be on the same page or failure continues.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:54 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
But his fitness and nutrition hasn't helped, the team still always looks exhausted by the middle of the second.
Beer? The team doesnt look exhausted only the expensive players do. (and Smyth if not utilized properly)/

Old
03-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil Leaks View Post
MacT has been pretty good in trying to improve the team, if you dismiss the Eakins signing, then I think he had a pretty solid first year as a GM.
and the Eakins signing in itself has pretty much brought the entire process back to step 0, if not -1. Erases most of the good moves he's made. MacT is on the hook for failing to upgrade the defence, the goaltending and coaching. Yes he made moves to rectify the goalie debacle, but it was too little too late. I'd give him a C grade in his first season, still not good enough. Eakins has been a disaster, can't say it enough.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post
You think athletes would play like crap, on purpose, to get rid a coach because previous coaches were fired??? You think these guys want to lose? Coaches that don't win get fired. Full stop.
Does Eakins have some other history of superb NHL coaching, complete with a good winning percentage that I'm not aware of? Would Eakins be the first AHL coach that didn't pan out in the NHL??? He wouldn't even be the first AHL coach the didn't pan out for this team...but we had Slats back then who was smart enough not to give someone with no track record a 4 year deal.

I AM NOT SAYING THE PLAYERS ARE NOT ALSO TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAS HAPPENED THIS SEASON.

Eakins can be a **** coach (which he is) and the players can suck as well (and they do). It's very easy to change the coach and much harder to change the players. Both need to be done.

This team had so many areas they could improve in over last years team, instead they're worse in every area. Eakins has made nothing better. His hissy-fit on the bench last night is everything no NHL coach should be about.
Yes, the case to keep him is getting pretty thin. There ONLY reason, really, is the continuity argument. And is that really a good reason to retain someone, because of past mistakes?

I await the final 10 games before passing judgement. He was looking good two games ago.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

Lowe, MacT, Eakins?
I think Lowe will agree to step down.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:24 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
We should've fired MacT after the Sabres plastered the Oilers 10-2 at home.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:25 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
You're confusing exhaustion with apathy. In fact often their best periods are their final ones.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:47 PM
dasivon

I give the Avs full credit in finding a coach who was going to fight for his players, have their backs and push back when other teams took liberties, even if part of it was a 'show.'

Eakins has none of that.

And until one of the top coaches come available (which is rare), firing him will do nothing other than replace him with someone else handcuffed by our assistants.

Hitchcock, Babcock, Boudreau, Julien, etc are scooped up becuase there are a handful of good ones and only those few would tell MacT and Lowe that it's his bench (just like Roy ensured he had more say than most coaches).

Well I didn't like Kruger and Eakins is a mess, they have been tied to the assistants the team have pushed and ultimately haven't shown to have the respect/authority a head coach needs.

If (when) he gets let go, the new coach needs that autonomy and the team needs to pounce when one of those top guys comes available.

Old
03-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Del Preston
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil Leaks View Post
Quick, someone put Mac T head in this one.
Way ahead of you.

Old
03-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Obviously the players deserve a huge portion of the blame..

But why is it so hard to find a coach that will make the players buy in?

Obviously the kids could care less about chopping wood and carrying water.

Eakins doesn't even seem happy with them after a win. He has that disappointed look stuck on his face.

MacT will give him another year. But I don't think he has done enough with the team to deserve it.

Old
03-24-2014, 06:22 AM
oilphan

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks Eakins shouldn't be fired? How coaches do you have to go through before you realize it's the the players that are not working. You simply can't go through a new coach after every season.
Conceptually I agree. Problem is that Eakins is not the coach to make that soapbox stand on. Hire Laviolette and then make that point.

Closed Thread