HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Mason signed to a multi-year extension (3 years, $12.3M per media)

Old
02-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Needs to stop with the soft goal BS if he is going to be our starter.
wow really ???

so ur saying any Flyers goalie has to have a shutout every game ???

come on, Mason was a godam wall all nite, and the ONLY shot that beat him was a wicked snipe to the top corner he was leaning/cheating on..

the Avs player even leaned around our defender to make that shot, it was a beauty...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Hiesenberg

Has anybody noticed that Mason has quietly played the 8th most games in the NHL for goalies with being only 3 off the lead? So much for splitting the work load.

So he's:

8th in Games Started
9th in Wins
18th in GAA
13th in SV%
8th in Shut Outs

I mean, I know the kid had his struggles in Dec-Jan, but damn..he's been pretty damn good this year. Probably one of the best we've had in a while.

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:44 PM
ericWONT
Ron Hakstol

He's a workhorse and can get really hot when he finds a rhythm. Would be nice if Ray was more dependable and could give him a break every once in awhile though. Don't feel all that comfortable when Emery is in between the pipes and we're teetering on the edge of making the playoffs.

Think it's a great move as long as his consistency stays solid throughout entire seasons, instead of just heating up at random (especially this close to the Olympic break).

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Has anybody noticed that Mason has quietly played the 8th most games in the NHL for goalies with being only 3 off the lead? So much for splitting the work load.

So he's:

8th in Games Started
9th in Wins
18th in GAA
13th in SV%
8th in Shut Outs

I mean, I know the kid had his struggles in Dec-Jan, but damn..he's been pretty damn good this year. Probably one of the best we've had in a while.
Best season for a Flyers goalie since Cechmanek I reckon!

Birons 07-08 and 08-09 and Bobs 10-11 are the only other thing close... but I give the edge to Mason. (Niitty and Esche had good single years, but not as good, and either splitting or as the backup.)

Last 25 years, goalies with 40+ game seasons for Flyers:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_played

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:51 PM
tymed

As long as the whole team is helping out the defensively Mason can concentrate on his job and game, which isn't to continually bail out his team's lack of defence.

During that losing streak we had gone back to trying to rely on open games and our offense to get the wins while hanging the goalies out to dry with over a handful of 1 on 0's a game, and went along with consistent cases of odd-man rush goals against resulting from defence challenging the shooter late. It's a very simple rule that exists between goalies and defencemen that the D is in charge of not letting the pass across and the goalies job is to stop the shot. When these miscues start happening in clusters, the goalie really starts to lose focus on his own job and begins to cheat. Then the soft goals start coming on because he is unfocused on the shot and also untrusting of the play coverage. It's a cycle and it's about time Berube figured out we were stuck in it. Not sure how he let the team lose focus of that when their entire turnaround was catalyzed by responsible defensive play.

The only way this team is going to find some real success is if they continue to have their forwards supporting to defensive zone with detail. Our defensive personnel are lackluster and cannot do this on their own.

Cover the zone well and Mason relaxes into a game where he can stop nearly anything he can see. Our talent is entirely up front and they can still generate enough to win games when they play tight. Its either that, or dwindle in mediocrity getting stomped by the teams who have been working on their modern systems for years.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Flyrs21

20 goalies have faced over 1000 shots (Mason 1267) 6 out of the 20 have a better save% than him and 3 are tied with him. 10 have a better goals against

8 goalies have faced more shots than him and 2 have a better GAA and 4 with a better save%

20 goalies in the NHL have a better GAA than him and ten of those have faced less than 1000.shots

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
.932SV% since he signed extenssion

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
They are playing better as a team but Mason has been more of the difference than he was when he was playing average
sorry, i dont agree. i think the biggest difference is the way the team has been playing in front of him.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
As long as the whole team is helping out the defensively Mason can concentrate on his job and game, which isn't to continually bail out his team's lack of defence.

During that losing streak we had gone back to trying to rely on open games and our offense to get the wins while hanging the goalies out to dry with over a handful of 1 on 0's a game, and went along with consistent cases of odd-man rush goals against resulting from defence challenging the shooter late. It's a very simple rule that exists between goalies and defencemen that the D is in charge of not letting the pass across and the goalies job is to stop the shot. When these miscues start happening in clusters, the goalie really starts to lose focus on his own job and begins to cheat. Then the soft goals start coming on because he is unfocused on the shot and also untrusting of the play coverage. It's a cycle and it's about time Berube figured out we were stuck in it. Not sure how he let the team lose focus of that when their entire turnaround was catalyzed by responsible defensive play.

The only way this team is going to find some real success is if they continue to have their forwards supporting to defensive zone with detail. Our defensive personnel are lackluster and cannot do this on their own.

Cover the zone well and Mason relaxes into a game where he can stop nearly anything he can see. Our talent is entirely up front and they can still generate enough to win games when they play tight. Its either that, or dwindle in mediocrity getting stomped by the teams who have been working on their modern systems for years.
bingo. spot on. totally agree.

Old
02-08-2014, 12:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

he stole the LA and Colorado games. So yes He has been the difference of late.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

youre entitled to your opinion.

i think the team in front of the goalies is the biggest reason for this current streak since the Boston Massacre

Old
02-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

i think the team in front of the goalies is the biggest reason for this current streak since the Boston Massacre
For someone eager to remove as much blame from goalies as possible, you're really eager to remove as much credit as possible too.

Believe it or not, it is entirely possible for a goalie to play well or poorly independent of the team in front of them, and its not exactly difficult to determine.

02-09-2014, 12:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:

so you think the team played well when they were outshot 35-13 by LA?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so you think the team played well when they were outshot 35-13 by LA?
i think i was pretty clear in saying what i think:

the team in front of the goalies is the biggest reason for this current streak since the Boston Massacre,

which is a total of 6 games

Old
02-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
i think i was pretty clear in saying what i think:

the team in front of the goalies is the biggest reason for this current streak since the Boston Massacre,

which is a total of 6 games
Sure. But it's not like the goaltending was a great help, either.

Once again...it is perfectly possible and actually quite simple to assess goaltending independent of the team.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:03 PM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

Guys give me the straight goods on Mason.

is he THE guy now in net for you? this season and going forward.

do you guys have full confidence in him?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

I can see him being Biron 2.0, hopefully with a longer prime. I don't think that he's consistent enough to be elite, but he can be counted as good overall.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

hes the guy this year.

if the team in front of him plays the right way for 60-65 minutes as the rule, rather than the exception, he'll be fine.

if they don't, surely the wheel "to find a goalie out there who can cover for them for more than a month or two" will be spun once again

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-11-2014 at 08:36 AM.