HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames at Canucks: January 18

View Poll Results: Do you think the Flames will come dead last next year?
No 36 63.16%
Yes 21 36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
So the question I guess is; why did Hartley start the 4th line? Was it a response to how the Canucks have been gooning it up lately?
He was rewarding them for their play and scoring a goal the previous game. I respect the heck out of Hartley as a coach and as a man. Torts can say whatever the hell he wants, his decision to put those guys out there started those events. Can't blame our guys for standing their ground. He's the one looking like an idiot right now.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
It still feels weird that McGrattan only played like 2:48 minutes after the brawl, or that Blair Jones fights after returning to the lineup after coming back from a pretty big injury. Yikes.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Guido Sarducci

I have no problem at all with the suggestion that the Flames (Hartley) started this.

I say good move. Make them react to what the Flames do. When another teams coach tries to get into the Flames dressing room in a fit of rage I would say that means they did something right. NICE MOVE HARTLEY!

I want Ward to start his fighters the next time the Comets are in town. Beat the crap out of them in their own city in two different leagues.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
I have no problem at all with the suggestion that the Flames (Hartley) started this.

I say good move. Make them react to what the Flames do. When another teams coach tries to get into the Flames dressing room in a fit of rage I would say that means they did something right. NICE MOVE HARTLEY!

I want Ward to start his fighters the next time the Comets are in town. Beat the crap out of them in their own city in two different leagues.
I actually agree with you, for once.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
It still feels weird that McGrattan only played like 2:48 minutes after the brawl, or that Blair Jones fights after returning to the lineup after coming back from a pretty big injury. Yikes.
It looked like McGrattan had to leave the game at one point for injury / illness reasons, which may have contributed to a lack of playing time.

01-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
So the question I guess is; why did Hartley start the 4th line? Was it a response to how the Canucks have been gooning it up lately?
Combination of reasons. Three IMO.
  1. The 4th line scored late in the last game against the Jets and it was a reward for their strong game.
  2. It was also to get energy going, the team played like **** against Winnipeg and IMO did not have their usual energy. So starting the game with the 4th line to bang and crash sends that message.
  3. Hartley has seen the Canucks playing on the edge lately, believes that this will force Torterella's hand to do something maybe he doesn't want to do. And he did.

Quote:
Good news everyone! Russell is back!

https://twitter.com/sungilbertson/st...60869639135232
Excellent News!

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Volica

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think it's two-fold

A) The forth line has been playing very well and providing a lot of energy as of late
B) All of Calgary management and the players thought that Vancouver was taking liberties with them when Big Ern had been kicked out of last game with the misconduct he got.

It was a mix of the two. Hartley honestly did nothing wrong in my eyes. He started with who he thought would give Calgary a spark. They did just that, with Calgary winning the majority of the fights at the start (Smid, Big Ern and Westy all got the W in my book, Butler and Garrison I didn't even know danced until after the penalties were awarded, and poor Blair Jones, who had to do something he's not really good at honestly) and then playing at a level we haven't seen in a long time.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Fred Murtz

vCash: 500
Line brawl long version. 11 minutes

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:13 AM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
I love how the anti-fighting mob has come out full force since last night. If anything the brawl brought in new fans. I had 2 friends over last night that have never watched a full hockey match through its entirety, and their eyes were glued to the screen for 3 hours.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:33 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
After reading a few pages on the main boards, I think the hate towards Hartley is overblown. The only thing that legitimately puzzles me is why Westgarth was taking the starting face-off, especially over Jones. And if it was meant to be a fight off the draw, SOB and Bouma would've been out there over Jones and Butler.

I think every Flames fan agrees that there's no way McGrats fights a non-goon. Maybe Westgarth does and most certainly SOB does, but id bet my life savings McGrats doesn't.

Regarding the Bobby Mac tweet, meh, there's a 2nd or 3rd line you can throw out there. Its not Sedins or goons as the only options. So Torts definitely shares some blame. Now normally id say Hartley has some blame given the Westgarth face-off thing, but Hartley is weird sometimes and has played the 4th line off the start before. This is the first time gloves fly off immediately after puck drop. But its still weird our guys drop em so quick and why Westgarth was at centre ice.

I think its possible that Hartley was getting under Torts skin and Torts took the bait. I also think it could be that Hartley was trying to get some energy off the hop and that 4th line guys do what they naturally do when other 4th liners are around. They fight. None of that excuses Torts for going towards the Flames locker room.

So really Torts is the one who should be fined. If Hartley did instigate it, then good on him for playing his cards well. Torts has a history of being loud so Hartley played him. I'm glad to hear our coach is doing his job. If not, then I'm also happy that our 4th line plays its role regardless of the situation.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:38 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Yeah its a little wierd. But even when McGrats scores a goal he still doesn't get rewarded with more ice time. Hartely doesn't play those guys very often and that's just his nature.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:42 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Combination of reasons. Three IMO.
  1. The 4th line scored late in the last game against the Jets and it was a reward for their strong game.
  2. It was also to get energy going, the team played like **** against Winnipeg and IMO did not have their usual energy. So starting the game with the 4th line to bang and crash sends that message.
  3. Hartley has seen the Canucks playing on the edge lately, believes that this will force Torterella's hand to do something maybe he doesn't want to do. And he did.

Excellent News!
Yeah those are all make sense. Even Volica's suggestion that the Canucks were taking too many liberties against the Flames last time makes sense as well. Hartley could've been sending a message early.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
After reading a few pages on the main boards, I think the hate towards Hartley is overblown. The only thing that legitimately puzzles me is why Westgarth was taking the starting face-off, especially over Jones. And if it was meant to be a fight off the draw, SOB and Bouma would've been out there over Jones and Butler.

I think every Flames fan agrees that there's no way McGrats fights a non-goon. Maybe Westgarth does and most certainly SOB does, but id bet my life savings McGrats doesn't.

Regarding the Bobby Mac tweet, meh, there's a 2nd or 3rd line you can throw out there. Its not Sedins or goons as the only options. So Torts definitely shares some blame. Now normally id say Hartley has some blame given the Westgarth face-off thing, but Hartley is weird sometimes and has played the 4th line off the start before. This is the first time gloves fly off immediately after puck drop. But its still weird our guys drop em so quick and why Westgarth was at centre ice.

I think its possible that Hartley was getting under Torts skin and Torts took the bait. I also think it could be that Hartley was trying to get some energy off the hop and that 4th line guys do what they naturally do when other 4th liners are around. They fight. None of that excuses Torts for going towards the Flames locker room.

So really Torts is the one who should be fined. If Hartley did instigate it, then good on him for playing his cards well. Torts has a history of being loud so Hartley played him. I'm glad to hear our coach is doing his job. If not, then I'm also happy that our 4th line plays its role regardless of the situation.
All very true. I had the same thought regarding using a second or third line. Put out Kesler, Kassian and Higgins. None of those guys are going to get hurt if the Flames guys do something stupid, which I think was unlikely. The truth was we had all of two heavy-weights on the ice, one of whom is one of the more respected guys in the league as far as fighters go and, as you say, isn't going to suckerpunch anyone. At the end of the day, Torts was the one who made sure it turned into a brawl instead of a normal shift. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that Torts enjoys being a story line and taking as much attention off his players as possible, and I think this is just another act.

I think the reason that Westgarth took the faceoff was because the guys decided that the Canucks wanted to fight given the lineup they sent out, and Lain was the biggest guy on the ice.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:22 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Westgarth wouldn't though. He doesn't touch Bieksa after he denies the fight, simply pushed him away, no punches thrown. It all stems from torts painting this picture that we are playing are "idiots". Before the game starts its obvious he hypes his players up that we want to throw down to start the game, and the guys we are starting are a bunch of cheap goons. He says he can't risk putting the Sedins out there. What gives him the idea that Gratz or Westgarth are going to cheapshot them? They have done nothing of that nature before.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Is there a way to go through and find all the instances this season that the Flames have started a period with their fourth line?

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Must be tough watching us knowing that you guys are just a couple years away from being this bad too.
I think they miss playoffs next year and begin the downward spiral.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
Is there a way to go through and find all the instances this season that the Flames have started a period with their fourth line?
None that I know of