HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad Behavior of the Edmonton Oiler Fanbase

Old
01-17-2014, 12:21 AM
MettleOiler

vCash: 500
Bad Behavior of the Edmonton Oiler Fanbase

*Spinoff of Soli's thread " Ben Scrivens: definition of Man"
"Please merge into Soli's thread if its a too similar topic"

After reading the tweet and how it also reminded me how fans interacted during the Pronger trade, I just have to call this out.

Have we as an oiler fan base stoop so low as too personally attack family members of the newly signed/traded for players based on assumptions of such irrelevant and minuscule topics as weather?

Have we become so spiteful to lower our standards to such mob influence and not uphold ourselves in a nobler manner to welcome and encourage our players, that even in their struggles through the mud and dirt, that we as fans would jump in and pull these players out.

Everyone needs to vent and I understand that, we have suffered so much as a fan base, we can argue with each other, we can debate with other fanbases and defend ourselves when we are being kicked while were down.

But to actually take our frustration and verbally attack the players and family members that are part of our team is beyond sickening.
They shouldn't be called oiler fans...they shouldn't be called Edmontonians.

As if they don't realize these actions add to the poison and venom that will kill any enthusiasm of any potential future player who would even dare to sign with us.

I'm angered how this team is managed, I'm angered how the team is playing, but I vehemently outraged by the actions of the few that call themselves oiler fans.

I hope Mr. Scrivens understands that not all fans are like those who tweeted his wife here in Edmonton, and we are thankful for him and his wife to have joined the oiler family. And that goes for all the players.

I just hope, we have more strong-willed and compassionate minded fans then the weak petty beings that are giving the Edmonton fan base a bad name.

It is up to us as a fan base to be better too, not just the team.

Last edited by MettleOiler: 01-17-2014 at 12:41 AM.
MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:22 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
We're a spiteful bunch. Perhaps it's karma.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:23 AM
mpah

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:24 AM
alanschu

Hah! If this is the tweet from Mrs. Scrivens, I joked with her that it's actually quite warm right now and welcomed her to Edmonton.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:27 AM
tempest2i
Feral

I'm pretty sure this boils down to the online disinhibition effect. Many of you know it as "John Gabriel's Greater Internet ****wad Theory"

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:28 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
so where exactly is this bad behavior by Oilers fanbase?

The article was written by a guy in toronto.. it contained cherry picked tweets that made it seem like Mrs Scrivens was a Hollywood Malibu girl who dislikes Canada\Edmonton.

Some Edmontonian kid \ drunk dude \ took it as a shot against his city and made bad comments about the tweets\article..

Scrivens put him in his place..

Where exactly is this Oiler fan base involved?

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

vCash: 50
There's nothing to suggest the comments were from Edmontonians though.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:31 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
If Scrivens wants to read the behaviour of Oiler fanbase .. he can read the posts made in the other thread "Scrivens : definition of a man"

Those are Oiler fans posting in it... all (mostly) class

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:33 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 526
this started with one person being an idiot and has gone BOOM and it will get worse and silly quickly

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:37 AM
ExOilerFan

After 7 years of putting up with this **** from the organization, i think we should be able to do whatever the heck we want. Although attacking players' families should be out of the question.
#firekatz #firelowe #firemactavish #fireeakins

Last edited by ExOilerFan: 01-17-2014 at 12:42 AM.
ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:39 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Quote:
Hey @AVPreports, classy move writing a slam story by cherry-picking tweets my wife sent to make it seem like she doesn't like Edmonton. @AVPreports You're gutless. And to those of you who commented on the article or tweeted at her about how she's lazy (even though she's not in Edmonton now because she has a fulltime job in LA she can't just up and leave) or that she married rich (even though we got married while I was playing in the AHL) or that she's dumb (she's an Ivy League and graduate school grad), just know I'm embarrassed to say that you are an Edmontonian. Way to make my family feel welcome.

And yet Scrivens believes it was Edmontonians. Doesn't haven't a second thought it could be a drunktard goof from Toronto.
And I don't want to bring up the gong show after Pronger was traded.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:39 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 105
What is the op talking about here? What article? Which tweets? Can somebody help me out?

Edit: never mind, I just saw the other thread.

Last edited by rboomercat90: 01-17-2014 at 12:46 AM.
rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 12:45 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
After 7 years of putting up with this **** from the organization, i think we should be able to do whatever the heck we want.
I dont' care if its 50 years, it doesn't give you the right to personally attack players and their families. And why would you? These are our players? on our team?

Old
01-17-2014, 12:46 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
What is the op talking about here? What article? Which tweets? Can somebody help me out?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1584149

Old
01-17-2014, 12:50 AM
ExOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
I dont' care if its 50 years, it doesn't give you the right to personally attack players and their families. And why would you? These are our players? on our team?
I'm talking about management and coaching
Families should def be left out. However Ms. Scrivens should watch her tweets more carefully. People around here still have a grudge on Ms Pronger

Old
01-17-2014, 01:00 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
I'm talking about management and coaching
Families should def be left out. However Ms. Scrivens should watch her tweets more carefully. People around here still have a grudge on Ms Pronger
Sorry, Didn't see you edited your post.
I agree about being vocal about management and coaching.
It is kinda unreal that future players wives have to tip toe around twitter because of Prongers wife.
Why worry about it, let it go, otherwise the impression is "edmonton is cold PLUS it has an unbearable fanbase".

Old
01-17-2014, 01:04 AM
ExOilerFan

Quote:
Sorry, Didn't see you edited your post.
I agree about being vocal about management and coaching.
It is kinda unreal that future players wives have to tip toe around twitter because of Prongers wife.
Why worry about it, let it go, otherwise the impression is "edmonton is cold PLUS it has an unbearable fanbase".
Oh yeah i've let it go, but a lot of fans haven't so the oilers' wives have to be very careful with what they say in social media

Old
01-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Quote:
Hey @AVPreports, classy move writing a slam story by cherry-picking tweets my wife sent to make it seem like she doesn't like Edmonton. @AVPreports You're gutless. And to those of you who commented on the article or tweeted at her about how she's lazy (even though she's not in Edmonton now because she has a fulltime job in LA she can't just up and leave) or that she married rich (even though we got married while I was playing in the AHL) or that she's dumb (she's an Ivy League and graduate school grad), just know I'm embarrassed to say that you are an Edmontonian. Way to make my family feel welcome.

And yet Scrivens believes it was Edmontonians. Doesn't haven't a second thought it could be a drunktard goof from Toronto.
And I don't want to bring up the gong show after Pronger was traded.
Cool avatar. hasn't someone tweeted him that it's not an EDM native?

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 01:08 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No homework done and not enough thought put into the OP.

Should it really be considered a privilege for your city to have a hockey team that not only spends the better part of 20 years being a losing team but is also so expensive to watch live that you've almost got to be a 1 percenter to be able to afford to go to 10 games per year?

If the average price of the tickets were 30 bucks, I don't think that people would be complaining about how much we suck, but that's far from the case. It's so bloody expensive to go to Oil games, we've been an embarrassingly horrible team and the decisions made by our team over the past decade have been so horrible that we get excited when a move is made that slightly upgrades us or doesn't set us back too far.

Out of all of the teams in the NHL that are expected to sell out on a night to night basis the Oilers are probably the team with the most desensitized fan base and when you let your fans fall to that level the lines of acceptable and unacceptable when acting out become very blurred.

I'll say it again: Aside of catching St. Louis in cap trouble and picking out a good enforcer in Gazdic, Mac-T has done nothing.

He's picked a coach who was in over his head from the start and has never had the full attention of the players because his mindset is on a totally different planet than the rest of the players. Bringing in players who've played in the AHL of all places who've had experience with this coach should do nothing buy raise eyebrows for the amount of desperation shown.

Even if Ference was playing well nobody would be allowed to give Mac-T a pat on the back because Ference stated that when he went to free agency he specially targeted Edmonton because he wanted to live close to home. The fact that Ference has played so bad shows how desperate Mac-T was to land flat out anyone with NHL credentials. He didn't bother trying to sacrifice something to make a trade to get us someone who was going to be a real impact player. Yes. I'm saying he didn't do this because he said from the start that he wasn't going to make a big trade involving one of our more coveted players when he first came in.

We have the right to be angry when Mac-T wastes our cap space and draft picks out of desperation a few months before free agency hits. He trades a perfectly good third rounder for a goalie who's done nothing while shipping out a pending free agent goalie for an overpaid forth liner.

How does this make us better if our blueline is the seed of 80% of our problems?

How does bringing in a 4th liner help our top six players play better? Do you think they're unable to play better? Looking at what Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov and Eberle are on pace for, do you actually think that's their limit? Are they unable to produce at a higher rate? Or could biting the bullet and overpaying for clear upgrades on defence actually make us better as a whole? If you support the later then you should be one of these angry blood thirsty fans who want to see the heads of the guys upstairs roll.

This is arguably the worst Oilers team EVER because we've spent so much of the season with so few injuries compared to other years.

This is the coach Mac-T chose and we're losing a lot of the games we should win while we magically show up for some games that we should lose. That's a sign of inconsistent play from the players and a sign that the coach is unable to control what kind of results he can get out of the players. Get rid of this coach.

This manager hired this coach and he's traded away a pending UFA and a 3rd rounder for a goalie who's done nothing and a flat out horrible contract. He's bragged about what % of the trades he's been in on this year. He's bragging about making small trades that don't work out for us and little by little piss away our assets. I guess he wants to be patted on the back for not pissing it all away instantly like Mike Milbury did for so many years. Fire this manager.

This president has done nothing since all of the players ran away after we lost in the finals. Oh, he did do something. He overpaid Torres, Pisani and Horcoff. He made an ass out of himself trying to acquire Heatly, Penner and Vannek. He has PR nightmares with Pronger, Souray and Smyth. He let heart and soul players like Stoll, Greene and GlenX slip away. He hired our former coach as our general manager and to me it still feels just like it was just yesterday that Mac-T was coaching. This idiot is running around in circles now. By this logic we could almost expect Horcoff to get resigned to a 2-3 year deal when his contract with Dallas is up. This bum has done nothing but hold us back and I give Glen Sather and St. Louis' financial situation 90% of the credit for that cup run we had. Fire his *******.

I'm not going to smile or laugh when some fans do or say something classless, but I'll be understanding and at this point ridiculing them is the last thing I'm going to do because I bet they've spent the better part of their life cheering for a team that has never held the people with the real influence accountable.

Last edited by thadd: 01-17-2014 at 01:14 AM.
thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 01:10 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Oh yeah i've let it go, but a lot of fans haven't so the oilers' wives have to be very careful with what they say in social media
lol yeah, talk about holding a grudge XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Cool avatar. hasn't someone tweeted him that it's not an EDM native?

Thanks! Your the first one who said so!

And I hope someone tweeted Scrivens that it wasn't a EDM native, otherwise thats such injustice for something the fan base didnt do.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

I sometimes wonder if some of you guys have ever read youtube comments, or followed other player's twitters. Trolling and personal attacks are common across all fanbases, in all sports, in all professions even, it's part of internet culture these days.

It's not something specific to Edmonton or Edmonton Oiler fans.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 01:22 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
No homework done and not enough thought put into the OP.

Should it really be considered a privilege for your city to have a hockey team that not only spends the better part of 20 years being a losing team but is also so expensive to watch live that you've almost got to be a 1 percenter to be able to afford to go to 10 games per year?

If the average price of the tickets were 30 bucks, I don't think that people would be complaining about how much we suck, but that's far from the case. It's so bloody expensive to go to Oil games, we've been an embarrassingly horrible team and the decisions made by our team over the past decade have been so horrible that we get excited when a move is made that slightly upgrades us or doesn't set us back too far.

Out of all of the teams in the NHL that are expected to sell out on a night to night basis the Oilers are probably the team with the most desensitized fan base and when you let your fans fall to that level the lines of acceptable and unacceptable when acting out become very blurred.

I'll say it again: Aside of catching St. Louis in cap trouble and picking out a good enforcer in Gazdic, Mac-T has done nothing.

He's picked a coach who was in over his head from the start and has never had the full attention of the players because his mindset is on a totally different planet than the rest of the players. Bringing in players who've played in the AHL of all places who've had experience with this coach should do nothing buy raise eyebrows for the amount of desperation shown.

Even if Ference was playing well nobody would be allowed to give Mac-T a pat on the back because Ference stated that when he went to free agency he specially targeted Edmonton because he wanted to live close to home. The fact that Ference has played so slowly shows how desperate Mac-T was to land flat out anyone with NHL credentials. He didn't bother trying to sacrifice something to make a trade to get us someone who was going to be a real impact player. Yes. I'm saying he didn't do this because he said from the start that he wasn't going to make a big trade involving one of our more coveted players when he first came in.

We have the right to be angry when Mac-T wastes our cap space and draft picks out of desperation a few months before free agency hits. He trades a perfectly good third rounder for a goalie who's done nothing while shipping out a pending free agent goalie for an overpaid forth liner.

How does this make us better if our blueline is the seed of 80% of our problems?

How does bringing in a 4th liner help our top six players play better? Do you think they're unable to play better? Looking at what Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov and Eberle are on pace for, do you actually think that's their limit? Are they unable to produce at a higher rate? Or could biting the bullet and overpaying for clear upgrades on defence actually make us better as a whole? If you support the later then you should be one of these angry blood thirsty fans who want to see the heads of the guys upstairs roll.

This is arguably the worst Oilers team EVER because we've spent so much of the season with so few injuries compared to other years.

This is the coach Mac-T chose and we're losing a lot of the games we should win while we magically show up for some games that we should lose. That's a sign of inconsistent play from the players and a sign that the coach is unable to control what kind of results he can get out of the players. Get rid of this coach.

This manager hired this coach and he's traded away a pending UFA and a 3rd rounder for a goalie who's done nothing and a flat out horrible contract. He's bragged about what % of the trades he's been in on this year. He's bragging about making small trades that don't work out for us and little by little piss away our assets. He guess he wants to be patted on the back for not pissing it all away instantly like Mike Milbury did for so many years. Fire this manager.

This president has done nothing since all of the players ran away after we lost in the finals. Oh, he did do something. He overpaid Torres, Pisani and Horcoff. He made an ass out of himself trying to acquire Heatly, Penner and Vannek. He has PR nightmares with Pronger, Souray and Smyth. He let heart and soul players like Stoll, Greene and GlenX slip away. He hired our former coach as our general manager and to me it still feels just like it was just yesterday that Mac-T was coaching. This idiot is running around in circles now. By this logic we could almost expect Horcoff to get resigned to a 2-3 year deal when his contract with Dallas is up. This bum has done nothing but hold us back and I give Glen Sather and St. Louis' financial situation 90% of the credit for that cup run we had. Fire his *******.

I'm not going to smile or laugh when some fans do or say something classless, but I'll be understanding and at this point ridiculing them is the last thing I'm going to do because I bet they've spent the better part of their life cheering for a team that has never held the people with the real influence accountable.
Thadd, you don't need to do homework to treat human beings like human beings. Its just common sense.
I agree with everything you have written, and I did not state that I was supporting management and the gong show that has been the last 8 years.
They didn't force you to buy the tickets, when you buy the ticket, the fan takes part of the responsibility of the actions of what management will use your hard earn money for. You know full who the money is going to. When they stop receiving revenue, changes will be made quickly, because its just a business to them.
Fans can stop paying, and changes will happen And if things keep going as is, I have no doubt fans will stop. Fans can only take so much loss before snapping I understand.
All i'm endorsing is the treatment of players and family members that get caught of in gaffs of management. It is not their fault, they are here to play and make a living.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:28 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of you guys have ever read youtube comments, or followed other player's twitters. Trolling and personal attacks are common across all fanbases, in all sports, in all professions even, it's part of internet culture these days.

It's not something specific to Edmonton or Edmonton Oiler fans.
Just because its common, makes it alright to participate in?
I agree its something that will probably never go away, but does not mean you don't have a choice to not do it.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:28 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
I blame Lowe. He has sucked all the enjoyment out of being an Oiler fan. I think some people actually want the teams situation to be worse in the name of him getting fired. This is how far Lowe has taken us. You can get away with a 10 season playoff drought in Florida staying way under the cap with barely anyone following your team. If you're going to use and abuse the people in Edmonton though while collecting your sold out game money, get ready for the toxic environment.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 01:35 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Some people need a reality show, more drama equals more ratings. Lets make something out of nothing, hmm the Khardaisians.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is online now   Reply With Quote