HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?

Old
01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
spOiler

vCash: 500
My bedtime stories growing up were of the oilers. I was born in 89 and my dad was a huge fan. I am now a huge fan...hell im posting here arnt I. I will be a fan till i die or they dont exist period.

spOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:55 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I've tried cheering for other teams in the past. The Wings, Caps and Jets over the past decade... but it just can't REALLY get into it. It feels wrong.

I went two weeks this year without watching the Oilers. That was so difficult. I said I wasn't going to watch till we won three in a row and I couldn't even go that long.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:58 PM
CM4

vCash: 544
Because there the only major sports team that we have other than Eskimos, and I can't stand football, and I can't get attached to a team that's not from my city.

CM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM4 View Post
Because there the only major sports team that we have other than Eskimos, and I can't stand football, and I can't get attached to a team that's not from my city.
See that's the excuse I don't have. I lived in Edmonton in the early 80's, went to Vancouver for high school and haven't lived in Canada for well over a decade yet I can't stop cheering for the Oilers.

I must have a serious psychological condition.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Perfect_Drug

I've tuned out of hockey completely since we were pretty much done in November.

Waste of an NHL CI subscription.

This is the first time I've felt this way after being a rabid fan since the first Islanders cup final.
I watch highlights, and come here to see some of the banter, but I've reached my limit as a fan.

I'm looking forward to the Olympics, and that's about it. Waiting for next year, or a few blockbuster trades, maybe a coaching change, or for someone to hit a milestone. I might tune into a game here or there but not as rabid as I was.

The problem is, there isn't any foreseeable hope for this team. This isn't a 'wait a couple of years and we'll be elite' sort of thing. We will be terrible for the next 5-6 years and foreseeable future unless the management changes, and we build a team from the net out.

Do you guys realise, this team is SO bad, that even if Hall, Nuge, and Yak become 100 point players, we still won't make the playoffs.

The Atlanta Thrashers/nu-Jets made the playoffs ONCE in the entire history of their franchise. We are on par with that franchise. Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak will all be traded in their UFA years near the deadline, without a taste of playoffs. And this is UNLESS they demand a trade out of town.

8 years from now, we will be comparable to the current Winnepeg Jets.

Do we really want to support this?

Last edited by Perfect_Drug: 01-19-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
about the only reason left for me is because they are the NHL team that plays in the town I live in. I haven't a shred of respect for the organization, in fact, I am embarrassed by it. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing Oilers merch.

I have become a 3rd tier fan (maybe 4th). Meaning, I now have passing interest and will only return to 2nd tier when they are a team worth paying attention to. I've said it before, the Oilers have become like the Bluejays to me, who I cheer for only because they are the only Canadian team, and pay little attention too.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

The heart wants what the heart wants.

I think we can change them.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Hmmmm...good question...I have no ****ing idea...

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
The heart wants what the heart wants.

I think we can change them.
We need to get the team a controlling wife.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote