HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will the Isles trade Parrish or Hunter?

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 09:45 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
mm said on the radio that kvasha was better at centre and it was his time to shine. that, to me, means that oleg will have the number two centre spot crammed down his throat. what i'm trying to say is, if we believe mm with regards to kvasha, handzus makes for a pricey third line centre.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:48 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac
mm said on the radio that kvasha was better at centre and it was his time to shine. that, to me, means that oleg will have the number two centre spot crammed down his throat. what i'm trying to say is, if we believe mm with regards to kvasha, handzus makes for a pricey third line centre.
I think he is at $2.1 million after the rollback. Might not be what you are looking for. Still, as close to a replacement as possible for Peca (and better in some ways).

Old
08-04-2005, 09:51 PM
boredmale

Kvasha will be #2 and #3 will be either Bates or Blake, who were both centers before being moved to wing. I hate to say this but if Chris Gratton is willing to sign for less then 1 million he might be a cheap option.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:01 PM
islandermaniac

it's too bad that the bruins went insane and offered scatchard $9M. dave would have continued to play a wonderful role on the island in that three spot...for half of what the bruins paid him mind you.

i think the three spot will have to be filled from outside the organization as will a fourth solid defender. that of course means bye bye parry!

Old
08-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I posted a pick or prospect for Parrish. I didn't say a third rounder. I think you'll see a good prospect and a 2nd rounder, or a first.

With Parrish getting to UFA age, you will, under no circumstances, receive a 1st rounder for Parrish, especially in the new system where 1st rounders are at a premium. A 2nd rounder and a high risk/high reward prospect is about market value for Parrish. Peca is a great pickup for the oil, but his 4 mil a year contract is astronomical for his production, getting york was a steal.

From the Canucks, I would offer...

Conditional 2nd/3rd rounder, Kiril Koltsov, 6th round pick.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac
it's too bad that the bruins went insane and offered scatchard $9M. dave would have continued to play a wonderful role on the island in that three spot...for half of what the bruins paid him mind you.

i think the three spot will have to be filled from outside the organization as will a fourth solid defender. that of course means bye bye parry!

there were 3 other teams that made similar offers to Scatchard($2.1m).One was the rangers.

and I'm expecting the 3rd line center spot to be filled by cheap youngster Nokelainan.Milbury's trying to sign him and Nilsson.His rep coming out of the 2004 draft,was that he was a very good defensive player.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica
With Parrish getting to UFA age, you will, under no circumstances, receive a 1st rounder for Parrish, especially in the new system where 1st rounders are at a premium. A 2nd rounder and a high risk/high reward prospect is about market value for Parrish. Peca is a great pickup for the oil, but his 4 mil a year contract is astronomical for his production, getting york was a steal.

The 6th holds no interest.

Isles would have to assure themselves that Koltsov would report to Bridgeport.It sounds like he wants to either play in the nhl or the RSL,that he's not too interested in riding the ahl buses.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'll miss Peca's defense,but I want a lot more then 40 pts from a 2nd liner,making $4m.

I'd have liked to have kept Scatchard,but understand the isles didn't want to pay $2.2m a yr.

The real loss is Kenny Jonsson
agreed.

Scatch was my favorite Islander. I hate to see him go also but the price was a bit steep. Though, in light of what they would've had to pay Peca, had they kept the Capt, hmmmm... now $2 million per doesn't seem so bad.... but you're right, about KJ. The best news I could have is to hear he's back for two more years... I'd say "four more years" but with his head, you never know...

Old
08-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
agreed.

Scatch was my favorite Islander. I hate to see him go also but the price was a bit steep. Though, in light of what they would've had to pay Peca, had they kept the Capt, hmmmm... now $2 million per doesn't seem so bad.... but you're right, about KJ. The best news I could have is to hear he's back for two more years... I'd say "four more years" but with his head, you never know...

No need to cry for Scatch as he is back with his little BF Isbister and he could stop sulking after he got dealt. I am a Scatch fan as a player and off the ice as a person, but he did some questionable things. Remember lockerroom friction, unnamed player, that was Scatchard. He had a huge chip after Isbister got dealt.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica

Then you won't be getting Parrish.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Isles have a glut on RW and a massive hole defensively down the middle and on the backline. They will be eaten alive down the middle until they add a shutdown center, a point that seemingly is lost on some NYI fans in love with the idea of more offense on a team that couldn't defend to begin with. ("Oh but its the new NHL. Everything will be different." Riiiiiight. ) Likewise, the D corp is short talent and depth wise. Yes, names don't mean everything, but ultimately talents wins out. And Zhitnik, Niinimaa, Sopel and Martinek as your top 4 aren't contender material, no way, no how. They do not need to add a #4; they need a top-pair guy.

Doubt Parrish can get you that guy in return, whoever he is.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Isles have a glut on RW and a massive hole defensively down the middle and on the backline. They will be eaten alive down the middle until they add a shutdown center, a point that seemingly is lost on some NYI fans in love with the idea of more offense on a team that couldn't defend to begin with. ("Oh but its the new NHL. Everything will be different." Riiiiiight. ) Likewise, the D corp is short talent and depth wise. Yes, names don't mean everything, but ultimately talents wins out. And Zhitnik, Niinimaa, Sopel and Martinek as your top 4 aren't contender material, no way, no how. They do not need to add a #4; they need a top-pair guy.

Can't disagree with any of this. None of the moves we've made this week left me feeling very good.

And, for the record, I've never been a fan of Sopel, Zhitnik, or Satan and I was a big fan of Peca.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

The loss of both Peca and Scatchard with no one to replace them is going to be a major problem this next season. Of course, there's the obvious things like their defensive responsibilities which none of the other centers on the team will be able to replicate, unless someone is harboring unrealistic dreams about one of the kids stepping in immediately and replacing them. Combine that with a defense built with puck movement as the main concept, and you get an idea of what kind of game the Isles are going to look to play. I have a fear that poor little Ricky is going to get abslutely SHELLED.

But in addition, right now in our top nine we have Bates as our best faceoff guy. Isles fans can look forward to seeing him get even more icetime.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Unfortunately, Joe, this is exactly how I see it.
Yep, it's tough to stomach, Darth. What will be even tougher is when we start trading solid citizens like Parrish for nothing of note other than the absence of their salaries. But in this new world, you have to look at the larger context in which a trade is mad. E.g., someone on one of the Isles mailing lists proposed "would you trade Parrish for Ron Hainsey" (a rumor).

Without opining where I'd come down on the larger deal, the only point I made was the trade has to be looked at less like "would you do a Parrish for Hainsey swap?" (A: NO) but "would you clear cap room to sign, say, Dan McGillis (now signed, of course, but just an example) by swapping Parrish for Ron Hainsey?" The deals were all hypothetical (although Hainsey was a rumor) but my only point was we're going to see a lot of deals that look excruciatingly awful when viewed in isolation over the coming years, but what will matter is what other move is paired with the deal. A dump + a signing or a dump + a trade for a salaried guy is going to start to be the norm.

To use a real-world example, Philly gave away JR, something that in isolation looks terrible no matter how you feel about JR b/c he's a good player and a good chit, but they COULDN'T take anything back because what they were trading for wasn't "future considerations" but for the room to pay all-world player Peter Forsberg. Let's just hope that when we do move our RW, whichever it is, either it's a lateral salary move where we get a good player back, or if it's a dump move that the matching trade for the dman comes quickly and is enough to take the sting off of losing Parrish for nothing.

Closed Thread