HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Heins and Heerema unprotected?

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 04:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Heins and Heerema unprotected?

According to the Times, both Heins and Heerema will be exposed in the waiver draft. Why claim Heerema if they are just going to expose him? And the Canes just grab him back?

10-01-2003, 05:00 AM
NYR469

who else would you expose instead?? if they protect heerema then they'd have to expose barnaby and lacouture...and if you lose heerema on friday it really isn't a lose cause it would be like we never had him...

also both claims were reported by the wolfpack, hartford normally only announces a ranger move if the guys acquired are most likely going to play down there...so indication is there is no room on the big club and heerema and heins will be sent to hartford and be used as a callup if needed. and if that is the plan then they need to clear waivers to be sent down, so you might as well do it during the waiver draft rather than exposing someone you want with the big club and then waiving the other guys anyway later

Old
10-01-2003, 05:01 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
According to the Times, both Heins and Heerema will be exposed in the waiver draft. Why claim Heerema if they are just going to expose him? And the Canes just grab him back?
These kinds of waiver deals happen quite often. My guess is Sather's real goal is to keep Petro by acquiring Heins and Heerema and hoping one of them will be claimed. Once that happens, he can then pull Petro back. Of course, you run the risk of losing Petro before either of the other two.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:06 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
These kinds of waiver deals happen quite often. My guess is Sather's real goal is to keep Petro by acquiring Heins and Heerema and hoping one of them will be claimed. Once that happens, he can then pull Petro back. Of course, you run the risk of losing Petro before either of the other two.

Unlike the expansion drafts once a player is exposed, I believe he can not be protected once the rosters are frozen. The rule that covers teams from losing too many players is that a team can only lose a maximum of three players unless they make more then three available.

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/09/151652.html

Also I believe Heerema is exempt.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Unlike the expansion drafts once a player is exposed, I believe he can not be protected once the rosters are frozen. The rule that covers teams from losing too many players is that a team can only lose a maximum of three players unless they make more then three available.

yeah, im pretty sure Heerema is exempt too.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't understand how Heerema could be exempt from the waiver draft, but had to be put on waivers in order to be sent down to Carolina's AHL affiliate.

I also don't think you can add a player to your protected list if you lose one.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:21 AM
kazo

Quote:

Not sure about Heerema's exempt status but these two transactions were made prior to the roster freeze. Also, keep in mind that once a player is claimed the team that makes the claim has to expose a player from it's protected list.

The Times article did mention both players will be exposed which indicates both will be exposed.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:46 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Sather really makes you wonder. Doesn't each waiver claim cost 500k?

Old
10-01-2003, 05:51 AM
Fletch

I doubt Hereema is exempt...

but perhaps Purinton goes unprotected, and Petro, and he's got two replacements just in case one or the other or both are taken.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:52 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
These are the kinds of machinations that Sather really seems to eat up. I'm not sure but 500 g's sounds a little steep for a waiver transaction.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:03 AM
Vito Andolini

Do we know whether Simon or Bobo were protected or not? Cause absolutely no team would dare pick them up, and if they got protection, and Hereema didn't, then we can just chalk up another stupid move up for the Jackass.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
Do we know whether Simon or Bobo were protected or not? Cause absolutely no team would dare pick them up, and if they got protection, and Hereema didn't, then we can just chalk up another stupid move up for the Jackass.
Someone would pick up Simon, and i know someone would pickup Bobo. Bobo doesnt have a fat contract and is a solid player at times. Now, Kaspar and Malakhov could be unprotected with pretty much no chance of someone stealing them.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:17 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think it was Professor Plum with the candlestick in the library.

Enough of this, wait until Friday, then you'll know exactly what kind of nonsense Sather was up to :p

Old
10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 26
Someone would pick up Simon, and i know someone would pickup Bobo. Bobo doesnt have a fat contract and is a solid player at times. Now, Kaspar and Malakhov could be unprotected with pretty much no chance of someone stealing them.
Why would anyone want to pick up Simon? He makes over a million dollars, he's proven to be a pain in the a$$, he no longer understands his role as an NHL player, he's over 30, and he's proven nothing in training camp to his new team.

And teams had all summer to sign Bobo, and he didn't draw any attention. So why would they pick up this high priced, 30 something defensemen now, when they would have to unprotect one of their own players?

Old
10-01-2003, 06:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

This is from Buffaloed (the Trade Board Moderator) he seems to know his stuff and I believe this comment.

"Interesting thing about Heerema is he's exempt from the waiver draft, but eligible for regular season waivers. He could have been assigned to the AHL before the roster deadline and the waiver problem would only have come up if the Canes called him up and attempted to send him back down. I think there's some deals worked out that'll happen after the waiver draft"

Old
10-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
Why would anyone want to pick up Simon? He makes over a million dollars, he's proven to be a pain in the a$$, he no longer understands his role as an NHL player, he's over 30, and he's proven nothing in training camp to his new team.

And teams had all summer to sign Bobo, and he didn't draw any attention. So why would they pick up this high priced, 30 something defensemen now, when they would have to unprotect one of their own players?
Valid. But i think theres a better chance they get picked up rather than Kaspar or Malahkov.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:31 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
This is from Buffaloed (the Trade Board Moderator) he seems to know his stuff and I believe this comment.

"Interesting thing about Heerema is he's exempt from the waiver draft, but eligible for regular season waivers. He could have been assigned to the AHL before the roster deadline and the waiver problem would only have come up if the Canes called him up and attempted to send him back down. I think there's some deals worked out that'll happen after the waiver draft"
If you can understand all the ins and outs of waivers, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:32 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I don't understand how Heerema could be exempt from the waiver draft, but had to be put on waivers in order to be sent down to Carolina's AHL affiliate.

The rules are different for the waiver wire and the waiver draft. You are right about not being able to add players to the protected list because if you do you are over the max allowed of 18 skaters and 2 goailes.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:45 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

the rules for the waiver draft and regular season waivers are slightly different...so there are rare exceptions where a player is exempt from the waiver draft but needs to clear regular waivers to go down. the most common reason is if a player loses his exemption due to years of service. a player entering his 3rd year doesn't officially become a 3rd year pro until the waiver draft ends, so during the waiver draft he is a 2nd year pro but afterwards he becomes a 3rd year pro and that extra year of service can change his waiver status...

and eventhough heerema might be exempt, if the rangers want him to clear waivers to go to hartford, they can expose him in the waiver draft rather than sending him thru by himself later

Old
10-01-2003, 06:46 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
the cost is $30k so it isn't anything to worry about

Old
10-01-2003, 06:50 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
and eventhough heerema might be exempt, if the rangers want him to clear waivers to go to hartford, they can expose him in the waiver draft rather than sending him thru by himself later
Can he be assigned directly to Hartford?

Old
10-01-2003, 06:50 AM
NYR469

the main reason for claiming these guys was probably to protect the rangers against losing guys on friday...the rangers will (most likely) try to pass healy, heerema, macdonald, heins and jakopin thru waivers to send them to hartford plus they'll be forced to expose petro...those first 5 are being sent down but the rangers want them to clear so they can provide injury callups...

the max # of players you can lose is 3, so by adding 2 extra bodies now you guarantee that atleast 3 of those 6 clear and join guys like moore, murray, stals, ortmeyer, tjutin and lampman as potential callups...if those 2 were added later than we could have lost 3 of 4 on friday and then would risk losing both heerema and heins later too when they were sent down

Old
10-01-2003, 07:20 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
the cost is $30k so it isn't anything to worry about
Tell that to Pittsburgh, LAK, on the rest of the league.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Give me $30K and I'll gladly let you pick me up off waivers.

I'm an undersized offensive forward that can play defense occasionally or the point on the power play. I mesh well with any linemate (I can make a play, set up a play, be the defensive conscience, dig in the corners, I'm good at deflections from in front), and I work my ass off every shift. I love hitting people and I'm the shot blocking type late in the game. The Rangers could really use me... oh wait, they'd just waste my talents, I'm only 24.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Barnaby

list comes out today right?

Edit: Yes, it does

Closed Thread