Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Lovejoy

Old
01-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Ducks Nation*

vCash: 500
Ben Lovejoy

Hear me out... So obviously Ben Lovejoy has been amazing this season has gone past expectations and then some...but I feel he should be 2nd pairing at best for a stanley cup team even with the way he is playing...he is solid in our zone but when you re-watch the games, he literally cannot make a simple pass that even a high schooler can make...Here are some from just this game today alone and not even all of them! I totally respect how much he has improved his game and still think we have a shot with our defense as constructed but what do you guys think?

Do you guys think we can win with him on our top pairing? I think we have a shot but if we traded for a 1st pairing (somehow) I would feel a lot more confident.

PS. He made the play of the year so far IMO.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:43 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

I wouldn't break up Fowler/Lovejoy until they show they can't handle top minutes. /endthread.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
I wouldn't break up Fowler/Lovejoy until they show they can't handle top minutes. /endthread.
They got exposed last night and had tons of break downs tonight which led to St Louis goals. Look at the scoring chances they got from the short video I made that shouldn't even have happened.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Ducks Nation*

and I have no problem keeping them together for the regular season, when the playoffs come around its a different monster and not making a simple pass like that can change the whole series.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Teemu Salami
Empty Ketchup Bottle

vCash: 300
I wouldn't mind bringing in a new player and experimenting. I think they're really good together though, and i'm not super worried about them in the playoffs. Still some concern there but nothing i'm flipping out over.

Teemu Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Nation View Post
They got exposed last night and had tons of break downs tonight which led to St Louis goals. Look at the scoring chances they got from the short video I made that shouldn't even have happened.
AMAZING IDEA! Let's use one game to quantify their effectiveness.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
AMAZING IDEA! Let's use one game to quantify their effectiveness.
Lovejoy's passing has been exploited all season...we even have a drinking game off it ffs. Stop being naive.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
Lovejoy's passing has been exploited all season...we even have a drinking game off it ffs. Stop being naive.
Exploited is being ridiculous. Does he ice the puck too often? Absolutely. Better that then a turnover in the defensive zone.

Old
01-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Exploited is being ridiculous. Does he ice the puck too often? Absolutely. Better that then a turnover in the defensive zone.
Passes that a high schooler could make. All those passes he had plenty of time to look and make a pass tape to tape. He has been solid but your top pairing defensemen should be able to make a simple pass

Old
01-19-2014, 02:02 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu Salami View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing in a new player and experimenting. I think they're really good together though, and i'm not super worried about them in the playoffs. Still some concern there but nothing i'm flipping out over.
fair enough

Old
01-19-2014, 02:14 AM
bumperkisser

your hate on a couple of duck players are seriously ridiculous.

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
your hate on a couple of duck players are seriously ridiculous.
? How am I hating I am stating facts I never said I wanted to trade him I said he would be ideal for a 2nd pairing over top pairing.

Old
01-19-2014, 02:23 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
Passes that a high schooler could make. All those passes he had plenty of time to look and make a pass tape to tape. He has been solid but your top pairing defensemen should be able to make a simple pass
Holy exaggeration Batman!

Old
01-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Holy exaggeration Batman!
Those 3 passes I posted? re-watch. Those are basic passes.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:27 AM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Half the passes in that video are just ******** no look passes. He was getting too cute.

It is well documented that he has no breakout pass but who doesn't have a flaw? You're right. He isnt a top pairing guy on a Cup team. But then again, is Perreault a second line center of a Cup team? The Ducks live and die on the top line and depth.

We dont have 2 top pairing guys but we have a ton of guys that are playing like top 4 guys.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Hear me out... So obviously Ben Lovejoy has been amazing this season has gone past expectations and then some...but I feel he should be 2nd pairing at best for a stanley cup team even with the way he is playing...he is solid in our zone but when you re-watch the games, he literally cannot make a simple pass that even a high schooler can make...Here are some from just this game today alone and not even all of them! I totally respect how much he has improved his game and still think we have a shot with our defense as constructed but what do you guys think?

Do you guys think we can win with him on our top pairing? I think we have a shot but if we traded for a 1st pairing (somehow) I would feel a lot more confident.
Let me think about that for a minute...37-9-5

Yeah, you're probably right, I don't see how we can win with a slug like him on our top pairing.

Quote:
Obviously your drinking game scouting report is much more accurate than what real NHL coaches see sober. ffs, stop being naive.

This infatuation with wanting a Webber or Suter here is ridiculous. Those guys aren't available and if they were, you wouldn't like the price. It would be foolish to give up quality assets for even lesser D men who may or may not be an upgrade. It's a really a bad idea to break up what has been working almost since Lovejoy got here.

And don't kid yourself. You'd complain about him even on the 2nd pairing. You ***** about Teemu even when he isn't playing.

Johnny Caravella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 157
GA On/60.

Can't add Vlasic or OEL, behindthenet doesn't work with hyphenated names.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Boogernaut
Castleton Snob

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
GA On/60.

Carried by Fowler, probably.

We'll never win anything with Lovejoy on the top pair. The 'Canes couldn't win with an almost identical player in Brett Hedican on their top pair in 2006. We didn't win with a late-blooming defenseman whose strong suit was not transition in 2007. Bruins failed to win in 2011 with the one-dimensional Seidenberg on their top pair, too.

See, the thing to do when evaluating whether a defensive pair works is to watch one player in a vacuum, check his name and stats on paper, and then make your decision on that basis. It is best to completely ignore 1) the chemistry on the player's current defense pair, 2) the chemistry of the team's other defense pairs when determining if this player should be moved down, 3) whether the player's current pair has had any success in the regular or post season, and 4) whether the team is struggling due to the current pair overall.

Boogernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:28 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
? How am I hating I am stating facts I never said I wanted to trade him I said he would be ideal for a 2nd pairing over top pairing.
ya your OP was fine, but look at all your posts after, that tone just implies your hate on the guy lol, anyone tries to somewhat defend him and you jump all over his negatives again lol.

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Let me think about that for a minute...37-9-5
Yes since regular season success means something in the playoffs.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
ya your OP was fine, but look at all your posts after, that tone just implies your hate on the guy lol, anyone tries to somewhat defend him and you jump all over his negatives again lol.
Its a discussion board it's not right agreeing all the time

Old
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Paul4587

Lovejoy has an awful first pass and without Fowler likely would be playing a #6-7 role but you can't deny their chemistry together. I thought both looked off in the Chicago and St. Louis games but unless there's an affordable upgrade around I don't see why things would change.

I do think going into the postseason our defense will either make or break us. Either the young guys and Lovejoy keep playing as they have been and we have no issues or they get exposed a bit by teams that can focus on their inexperience/weaknesses over a 7 game grind.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:10 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
GA On/60.

pretty sweet our make shift top pair is that high up.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
duari91

Good Lovejoy or bad we still need to trade for a core Dman. BM said it best when he stated that no player is untouchable, as long as it improves the team.

duari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 04:17 PM
duxfan8

Lovejoy has games like last night all the time. It's the main reason I don't think he should be Fowler's long term partner. I thought Fowler had a few ineffective shifts simply because he was chasing around because of a Rev error. I like the idea of Rev pairing up with Allen if Sami is sent down and we can acquire another top 4 dman who is versatile enough to play with different partners in case his chemistry doesn't match up with Revs (regarding Fowler). I would hate to see us make an investment on a RHD to play with Cam who ends up making the pairing worse than with Lovejoy and isn't versatile enough to switch to another guy. Then everything is pointless. Bottom line, I like the improvements Benny has made, but I still think he's a solid 4/5 guy on a consistent basis vs. what he is doing now somewhat inconsistently with Fowler.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote