HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Preseason

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Garnet

vCash: 500
Prospects Preseason

Well Ive watched all the games televised and listened on the radio too.
There are some players I think that are really standing out and improving throughout the preseason.

Perezhogin- looked lost in the first few games but I can see the progress in his game. Against Toronto I think he played well. Didn't take to many chances and played very well defensively. Tried throwing the body around but needs more muscle. Very quick and great vision. Could play center in my opinion in the future. Will be a late season call up maybe earlier if Montreal coninues to have problems scoring.

Hossa- I think the most improved so far this year.(I know its preseason) He goes into the corner gets the puck and keeps it. Uses his body really well. He carries the puck and has been making good passes and has a good shot. Power forward like against TO. Lifted ever line he played on!! There is no way this kids going to Hamilton like some posters have stated!!

Higgins - Good speed, good shot, but was trying minor league deks. Needs was time to adjust. When he has the puck you notice to skill and he has plenty of it. Great defensively. Needs time in Hamilton.

Plekanec- Is getting better very game he plays. Not very tall but stocky and strong. Marchment hit him hard and Plekenec kept on trucking. He's got good moves and skill. Plays like Koivu but with less skill I think. Plekenec should make the NHL soon but not sure if it will be with the Habs because of the size issue.

Ryder- tons of character in this kid. average size and average speed. Good hands and a great shot. I think he will have a spot on the Habs. The best thing this kid has got going for him is his heart. Plays a strong gritty game.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:04 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Here are my thoughts on these guys.

Perezhogin-- You can see the potential is there, but he definatly has to work on some aspects of his game though, such as being able to finish his plays with goals. He often got scoring opportunities, but rarely took advantage of these chances. I expected him to be small, but I was a bit disapointed to see he was THAT small. I hope he bulks up and keeps on progressing with Hamilton.

Hossa-- I'd say he understood what Claude Julien meant by 'giving a better effort on every shift'. Since that very day, I've seen anything but good things about Marcel. He clearly deserves a regular spot on the team, as long as he keeps on working hard. He formed a pretty good line with Zednik and Ribeiro, and seems to know exactly what's his role on this line.

Higgins-- I heard he looked impressive at the rookie camp, but I didn't see any of the practices, so I can't really give a solid opinion. Having seen him in pre season though, I'd say he was decent in his zone, but since he always played with grinders, and proven fourth liners, he couldn't show any signs of being able to step up offensively in the big league yet. I just can't understand why management keeps on giving him Blouin and Ferland for linemates.

Plekanec-- Perhaps he has the highest offensive ceiling among prospects at the camp. He has pretty good hands, but clearly has to work on his shot though, since it's pretty weak, especially his wrister. He's another guy who'll definatly have to bulk up during summer, and also polish his defensive game with Jarvis in Hamilton. He made a favorable impression, he was better than I thought he'd be.

Ryder-- In my opinion, he won his spot in Montreal. We are one of the softest teams in the league, but he and Ward can help a lot in this aspect, as both have big frames and are willing to use the body. You can see he is a natural goal scorer... he creates easily chances for himself, and isn't too bad at setting up plays. I don't have a clue about his offensive ceiling, but I know something for sure, he'll help out the team quite a bit if the management keeps him in town.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Ryder-- I don't have a clue about his offensive ceiling
Neither do I, but I predict he will reach whatever goal he has set. And I hope he has set it high.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Higgins-- I just can't understand why management keeps on giving him Blouin and Ferland for linemates.
It's probably to see how ready he really is. He probably would look good while playing with talented players, but only if he was truly ready could he look good playing with grinders...

All-Star

Old
09-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Capitano

I mostly agree with the posts above. I'm looking to Hossa and Ryder to make the team this year. Perezhogin and Higgins definitely need some time in Hamilton get used to the speed, they looked a little too timid for the the big club yet. Plekanec looked very good in the Toronto game and I could see him playing for the big club this year if and when we call somebody up. I liked the intensity he brought to the game, very nice to see.

Cap

Old
09-30-2003, 01:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well having seen nothing this preseason (which has made me grumpy waiting for the season to start) I have read just about everything there was to read and have been listening to the games, and I've seen them all play at some point.

Perezhogin- Not the start I expected, but I had concerns about his lack of strength and that he's never played outside the Russian system. That aside, he will be in the NHL sooner then later. The kid has a lot of skill. His skating and speed are very impressive. I look forward to seeing how good he'll be in a few years (turns 20 next week).

Hossa- Highly skilled, if he ever learns how to use his size to his advantage, look out. I wait to see him this season to see if he's regained his confidence which would be great for him and the Habs. Shoot more man, you got a great shot.

Higgins-Not the start I was hoping, but one thing his defensive game will get him to the NHL alone, but some AHL time should be good for him to get a lot of ice time and adapt to the bigger stronger faster players. I also look forward to seeing what he can do for the Habs.

Plekanec- I still don't understand how he didn't get more ice time in the playoffs, but I really like his offensive game. I like his stickhandling, playmaking, and general instincts with the puck. Not bad in his own end but needs some work. I'm surprised at how well he's doing in the faceoff circle. Could see some time with the Habs this year, if not should next year. Another good skater, with good wheels.

Ryder- I think he makes the team. I'd be surprised if he isn't on the Habs at some point this year. His speed, skating, balance, defensive zone coverage all need work, but he plays a semi physical game and has a great shot.

Ferland- Hasn't gotten as much attention, but he's playing a safe game, and in a few years could surprise many with his skills. I look forward to seeing what he can do in Hamilton this year.

Beauchemin- Doesn't seem to be having a great camp, looks to be headed back to Hamilton. I'm a fan of his game over Dykhuis or Traverse, but another season as the Dogs #1 can't hurt. He had a great season, but let's see him do it again.

Dagenias- Not a prospect, but I haven't been impressed from what I heard. But he's got size and a hard shot in his favor. Would be surprised if he makes the Habs outside a brief callup.

Hainsey- Seems to be having a decent camp for sure. I am starting to think he could make the club but maybe he goes to Hamilton for stint. I'd like to see him pick it up, work harder, and think better.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Harry Kakalovich

i agree with what's been written - (funny no one mentioned komisarek) - certainly i'd say ryder hossa ribeiro and ward ought to be on the team, i'd like to squeeze dagenais in there for the PP, but maybe not going to happen. the thing i'd like to say:

beauchemin : he looks really good, really solid and very ready. i'd like to see him play on the habs. there are five other defense fighting for those two spots (dykhuis, traverse, komi, hainsey and bouillon). i haven't seen traverse this camp, but i've seen the rest. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for beauchemin, and i hope we don't lose him if we do send him down. (if we send him down he is eligible to be picked up on waivers).

Old
09-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Someone gave me another definition of what a power foward is when I some month ago said exactly what you just said about Hossa type of game...

Once again I was probably out of track!
This person was me and my post was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.
A powerforward is intimidating

If you tell me Marcel Hossa is intimidating, you will lost all the remaining credibility I gave you

A powerforward use his size and strenght to go to the net hard

Hossa relies on sound positioning to score his goals

A powerforward brings scoring skills AND toughness nights in nights out

Hossa doesn't use his size much and hitting and toughness are 2 different things

A powerforward usually has a LOT of pims

Hossa never gathered much pims in his career and that's showing he is not a consistant physical competitor.

There is about 10 players in the whole NHL we can call bonafide pf, it is not because we have player who has size, skill and can hit that we have to scream POWERFORWARD at the top of our lungs as well as it is not because someone is 6-4 240 pounds that he is automatically a MEAN defenseman.
I didn't change my mind today about what I think a powerforward is and if Hossa is a powerforward.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Then give me 5 names, only 5 names of actual players that bring to the game all the points you stated!

I'll help.

Tkatchuk Thornton Bertuzzi Shanahan and Guerin?

I agree SakuK 100%. Marcel has good hands and a strong bodytype to wrestle in corners - but he lacks the most important thing, mean streak to be true power forward.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:36 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.
A powerforward brings scoring skills AND toughness nights in nights out

A powerforward usually has a LOT of pims
I don't think a power-foward absolutely needs to have a LOT of pims because toughness doesn't mean penalty IMO. A player can check an other player very hard and not deserves a penalty. Also, using your size and pushing other players to go to the net isn't an illegal thing. I agree that Hossa doesn't check very hard, but the PIMs is not a factor in my definition of Power-Foward IMO.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:18 AM
Darz

Please remember guys, there really isn't a definition of the term 'power forward'. It's more left up to each individual's definition.

Case in point. I never considered John LeClair a true 'power forward'. Imo, he floated too much and let Eric handle all the tough stuff.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedenRulez
I don't think a power-foward absolutely needs to have a LOT of pims because toughness doesn't mean penalty IMO. A player can check an other player very hard and not deserves a penalty. Also, using your size and pushing other players to go to the net isn't an illegal thing. I agree that Hossa doesn't check very hard, but the PIMs is not a factor in my definition of Power-Foward IMO.
That's why I said usually as I consider Jeff O'neill to be a powerforward, yet, he doesn't have a lot of penalty minutes same for Iginla.

With that being said, Darz is right, there is no clear definition of what a powerforward is. However, I think most (not all) of my criterias need to apply to a said player to call him a powerforward. Remember, this is my opinion not the bonafide truth. However, I do think there is no way you can call Marcel Hossa a powerforward.

Plek, for the 5 players, marksman2 named the 5 I wanted.

Closed Thread