HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impotent Power Play Discussion Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 07:48 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Impotent Power Play Discussion Thread

With 32 consecutive opportunities without a goal and a league (and franchise) worse 9.3% scoring pace for the season, it's pretty clear that something needs to happen.

Personally, I don't think it's a talent issue as much as it is an execution one.

My view:

1. Need to simplify. You have an extra guy, get a decent shot with a guy in front of the net often enough and you'll score. Stop trying to find the perfect shot.

2. There is too much puck movement which eventually leads a low quality shot through traffic that could have been taken 4-5 passes earlier.

3. Poor player positioning and spacing

The bottom line: as good as this team has been 5 on 5 and shorthanded, they are capable of far better performance with a man up. It comes down to coaching and locker room leadership (a challenge when your veteran "leaders" are part of the problem - looking at you Flash).

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Gordonx11
#CatsAreComing

The only thing we need to do is get simpler. We get plenty of chances on the PP but we don't take them. I'm not sure how you can blame Horacheck for that,

Gordonx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
BBB
Kulikov
Gilbert

Kopecky - Bjugstad - Huby
Soupy
Guds

Flash needs to get off the @#$% point, and ride the pine until he gets out of this funk.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:29 AM
EnforceTheLaus
Worms, Bjugs, P

First unit:

Bs
Campbell- Olsen

Barkov and Boyes on the half-boards, Bergy has net duties.

PP2
Huby-Bjugs-Flash
Kuli -Gilbert

Torn on Bjugs but he would do better in the dirty areas and getting to the puck at the crease and behind the net.

The problem with Flash on point is he is farther out that what his "shooting area" entails. He needs to get back to sniping pucks from the circle, which is where 90% of where his goals come from.

I disagree with Guds on the PP because #1 he has the offensive instinct of a washed potato, and 2 he will get burned in every foot race to the puck on a clear.

Player movement is another sore spot. We never crossover positions or change formation to shift the PKers out of position.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:55 AM
gudzilla

the 2nd unit is absolute garbage

who's going to be infront of the net? bjugstad? he doesn't fit that, flash? l0l, huberdeau? he's good but... nah

put kopecky on it and stack rest of the PP with talent

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
ShootIt

Everyone just stands around passing the Puck. Easier to defend against when we just stand in place and look to pass it 20 times.
Very rarely will someone get in position for a cross the ice one timer.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:19 AM
homegrizown

jugs-barkov-huberdeau
campbell-gilbert.

just put the kids together barkov can be down the middle with deflections and the other two can try cross ice passes.

god huberdeau needs to do a ******** of strength and conditioning in the offseason. his board play is atrocious.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:28 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
jugs-barkov-huberdeau
campbell-gilbert.

just put the kids together barkov can be down the middle with deflections and the other two can try cross ice passes.

god huberdeau needs to do a ******** of strength and conditioning in the offseason. his board play is atrocious.
You realize that Huby did no offseason training because of his hip surgery, right? Give the kid a bit of a break.

As far as your PP unit, who is going to play in front of the net? The best unit would be to have Barkov on one line, and Bjugstad with Huby on another.

Kopecky - Jugs - Huby
Soupy Gubranson

That is one of my units. Jugs has a nice one timer, and should be used the way TB uses Stamkos. You park Kopecky in front of the net, have Huby creating on the other side, with Soupy and Gudbranson's shot on the point. Cant be any worse than having Flash and Upshall on the PP.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 10:43 AM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
You realize that Huby did no offseason training because of his hip surgery, right? Give the kid a bit of a break.

As far as your PP unit, who is going to play in front of the net? The best unit would be to have Barkov on one line, and Bjugstad with Huby on another.

Kopecky - Jugs - Huby
Soupy Gubranson

That is one of my units. Jugs has a nice one timer, and should be used the way TB uses Stamkos. You park Kopecky in front of the net, have Huby creating on the other side, with Soupy and Gudbranson's shot on the point. Cant be any worse than having Flash and Upshall on the PP.
i know he had no offseason work outs. or training. i'm just saying that needs to be his priority. i just hope the olympic break is what he needs to snap out of the funk. also better linemates he can't be playing with checking role players.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:13 AM
walle

iCorsi (all invididual 5on4 PP shot attempts (on net, missed, blocked)

Campbell 13.134/60min
Flash 28.888
Barkov 9.453
Huby 9.464
Boyes 16.553
Kulikov 18.012
Gilbert 16.213
Bjugstad 11.090
Upshall 15.171
Kopecky 6.803
Bergenheim 19.548

Panthers rank second last in all shot attempts for, 77.3 for/60
In shots on net, the worst with 39.4/60
League leading Sharks have 121/60 corsi and shots 64/60min

To compare what kind of iCorsi Sharks players have;

Thornton 16.104/60 min
Marleau 25.197
Pavelski 30.452
Couture 35.112
Boyle 23.488
Demers 24.082
Irwin 41.933
Hertl 21.258
Burns 21.987
Braun 19.017

Other examples:
WSH Ovie 39.764, Carlson 30, Green 30
STL Steen 34.370, Shattenkirk 27.041, Pietro 25.113

Honestly what stands out to me the most is Cambpell. He's also the one having the puck most of the time. Secondly is that you wouldnt be able to recognize the forward "shooter" from those stats. And even passing has been horrible lately. Was much better at the start.

But seriously nothing will fix that they are just that bad. 5 teams have better 5on5 Goals for/60 than Panthers 5on4

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Benched

Flash MUST go. Even when he gets a good angle he misses the net entirely. Even when we manage to get a guy to screen which is almost never, he shoots it over the net. I'd like to see Guds out there once he is back to 100%. He probably has the best point shot on the team. I would also agree with Kopecky on the second unit because he is one of our only players who consistently screens.

Gotta disagree on Kuli though. Guy isn't big enough to screen and his point shot isn't as good as Guds or Gilberts. He'd actually be one of my last choices. I'd go with Jovo over him.

Huby should definitely stick on the second unit because he is going to break out of this slump sooner or later. Speaking of which he had a great game against Carolina.

In short...

Bs
Campbell-Gilbert

Kopecky-Bjugstad-Huby
Guds-Olsen

And Flash at the very end of the bench.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Crossbar

We need to upgrade the d-men at the point before we talk about moving the forwards. We can have the greatest forwards of all-time screening/deflecting shots and causing havoc in the crease, but if the puck never reaches the net (always gets blocked, delayed opportunities, too much passing, shots go wide or shots too weak/predictable) how exactly are they supposed to score?

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:12 PM
coopdaloop123

Around two months ago Horachek was working w/ a PP unit at practice that was huby/barkov/bjugstad - campbell/guddy ... he's never used it, but it may be nice to see.

When healthy I'd like to see them roll out ...

Bergenheim - Barkov - Boyes

Gilbert - Campbell

Shore - Bjugstad - Upshall

Huberdeau - Olsen

strange lines I know, but it maybe worth a shot

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Horachek will take Fleischmann off the point on the power play #FlaPanthers

yay

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
McGoldfart
McSave our McTeam

I've seen monkey ***** fights at the zoo more organized than our powerplay..

Last edited by McGoldfart: 01-19-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo
McGoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfart View Post
I've seen monkey ***** fights at the zoo more organized than our powerplay..
Chuckle of the day. Thank you, sir!

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Horachek will take Fleischmann off the point on the power play #FlaPanthers

yay
For once Harvey better be right.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:05 AM
aviators99

According to Wikipedia (which may or may not be right):
Most Consecutive Playoff Power Play Chances Without a Goal: 30, by 2010Ė11 Boston Bruins

If true, we broke the record on Saturday.

aviators99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 05:29 AM
hockey dude

Lindsay: "The PP has nothing to do with coaching. You have to run your best guys out there and that's what Horachek is doing."

Iíve come to the conclusion that they do not hire NHL coaches for their creative genius!! The game has become over coached, boring and predictable. I think you could put a stick of dynamite up Horachekís ass and he still would go back to his so called Ďbest playersí! Only problem with that is, his best players are guys like Upshall, Kopecky, Fleischmann and Huberdeau. Well not this year for Fleishmann and Huberdeau and I would hope no year for Kopecky and Upshall who of course are great in the locker room; which of course is said with as much cynicism and sarcasm as I can muster!

Well maybe good teams hire coaches for their creative genius but it has become pretty apparent that this is Tallonís team and he is going to play his ****** contracts no matter what. Iíll even go one step further and say that he made the decision that Barkov and Bjugstad were going to be the number one and two centers this year. And yes it is obvious that they will be good players down the road but from a fanís perspective it was premature and yet another season was written off at our expense. Did you honestly think we would have a good start to the season with two inexperienced kids getting all those minutes? And yes, I know they are showing signs but again likely too late for this year.

So Horachek is finally going to take Flash off the point on the PP. Come on, you guys on these boards were calling for that weeks ago. You can send your resumes to Ö.. Because I donít see Horachek here next year and Tallon, well who knows, but I hear he is a real good locker room guy.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Most Consecutive Playoff Power Play Chances Without a Goal: 30, by 2010Ė11 Boston Bruins

Playoff power play chances?

The regular season record is 51 chances without a goal by the 1997-98 Montreal Canadiens.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

The Panthers really need Olsen to return, he's next most offensive D we have besides Campbell. I don't understand how Flash was ever on the point to begin with. You put someone on the point for two reasons:

1. You trust their defense.
2. They have a good slapshot

Flash fits neither of these descriptions. Gilbert seems to go out there by default but he's very unlikely to score. We'd probably have a better chance with Gudbranson out there. I know his shot isn't great but should he actually aim it correctly, he has a booming one. As for forwards that can play the point, there's not many but you need a strong guy so perhaps you put Hayes there or even Bjugstad. Just someone who isn't going to let a shorty get by them.

Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Most Consecutive Playoff Power Play Chances Without a Goal: 30, by 2010–11 Boston Bruins

That's a playoff record. I'm unable to find anything on regular season, but apparently the Leafs had a stretch in 97-98 where they went 59 straight chances without a goal. EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it's 51 according to Luis G...where did you find that?

Also, worst PP% in a season belongs to TB in 97-98 with 9.35%....I think we might have a shot at setting a new record low.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
That's a playoff record. I'm unable to find anything on regular season, but apparently the Leafs had a stretch in 97-98 where they went 59 straight chances without a goal. EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it's 51 according to Luis G...where did you find that?

Also, worst PP% in a season belongs to TB in 97-98 with 9.35%....I think we might have a shot at setting a new record low.
That will look good on Dale Tallon's Resume.

Eggblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:39 AM
aviators99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Playoff power play chances?

The regular season record is 51 chances without a goal by the 1997-98 Montreal Canadiens.
Thanks for the correction. Certainly within striking distance.

aviators99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post

I was wrong, it was the Leafs, not habs. It's mentioned in this article, but the link to their source is broken. http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/03...play-futility/

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote