Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 06:09 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Interesting letter by Oilers owner Katz to the fanbase. Stay the course is the message in Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441705
The comments are what make that article worth reading. Priceless. I thought we Jets fans sounded angry, bitter and exasperated. We've got nothing on Oilers fans.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Interesting letter by Oilers owner Katz to the fanbase. Stay the course is the message in Edmonton.

I thought this was a great quote and something Jets fans should be cognizant of as well:

Quote:
Te biggest difference between the Oilers and teams like the Hawks, pens and Kings is that the latter three have far better scouts. My dog could have picked Hall and RNH but it takes astute scouting to find those late round gems as well as talent buried in other organizations. The Hawks pens and Kings had some 1st round stinkers like Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Ryan Whitney. These teams got better because they were able to a) pick up guys like Bolland, Duncan Keith, Jonathan Quick, and Kris Letang after the 1st round and trade for guys like Versteeg, Sharp, Greene and Kunitz. The only player the oilers drafted after the 1st round that played 100 NHL was Liam Reddox. That was in 2004. When you haven't drafted a single NHL player past the first round in a decade, your scouting needs work.
Right now we're praising the first round picks, which were good and more impressively not first overalls. Yet we have to still wait and see how the depth works out. Obviously those later picks shouldn't be expected to be playing NHL yet, but e have to keep our eye on what the draft can really provide us with.

2011 depth - Likely just Lowry and Kasdorf (sadly injured) to keep an active eye on.
2012 depth - Kosmachuk, Hellebuyck, and Olsen sum it up. I don't think Olsen gets past bottom six upside, but Kosmachuk can score and at worst still has bottom 6er skills. Hellebuyck could be an absolute home run goaltender.
2013 depth - Really too early, but this seems like a grand slam year for depth prospects.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Right now we're praising the first round picks, which were good and more impressively not first overalls. Yet we have to still wait and see how the depth works out. Obviously those later picks shouldn't be expected to be playing NHL yet, but e have to keep our eye on what the draft can really provide us with.

2011 depth - Likely just Lowry and Kasdorf (sadly injured) to keep an active eye on.
2012 depth - Kosmachuk, Hellebuyck, and Olsen sum it up. I don't think Olsen gets past bottom six upside, but Kosmachuk can score and at worst still has bottom 6er skills. Hellebuyck could be an absolute home run goaltender.
2013 depth - Really too early, but this seems like a grand slam year for depth prospects.
Agreed.

Wondering if former hfboards poster Max Geise who was hired by the Jets in 2012 is helping with US scouting (he was primarily a USHL/NCAA expert). In 2011 they drafted Serville and Harstad from college who have just regressed. In 2012 they drafted Trouba, Hellebuyck and 2013 saw Copp and Poolman. Looking much better. Phillips in 2012 appears to be a miss though, consistently outplayed by fellow sophomore undrafted Phoenix Copley.

Do you know how long Kasdorf is injured for? If he doesn't play any more games he might be eligible for an injury redshirt which would mean he would still have 3 more year of NCAA eligibility.

Also about the Katz letter. Lol. Katz will always defend his heroes in Lowe and MacTavish. Edmonton is not going anywhere for a LONG LONG time.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Agreed.

Wondering if former hfboards poster Max Geise who was hired by the Jets in 2012 is helping with US scouting (he was primarily a USHL/NCAA expert). In 2011 they drafted Serville and Harstad from college who have just regressed. In 2012 they drafted Trouba, Hellebuyck and 2013 saw Copp and Poolman. Looking much better. Phillips in 2012 appears to be a miss though, consistently outplayed by fellow sophomore undrafted Phoenix Copley.

Do you know how long Kasdorf is injured for? If he doesn't play any more games he might be eligible for an injury redshirt which would mean he would still have 3 more year of NCAA eligibility.

Also about the Katz letter. Lol. Katz will always defend his heroes in Lowe and MacTavish. Edmonton is not going anywhere for a LONG LONG time.
Max Geise is definitely scouting the US area. His signing was conditional on it. He really wanted the job, but values his home commitments enough that he wouldn't take the job unless he was restricted to more local assignments. There's obviously a few distance ones thrown in there, but typically he stays about as close as a scout can get.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure that Kasdorf is out for the season. The injury reports kept worsening. Extending from out for a few days, to few weeks, to a month and then the season. I think the redshirt possibility is definitely being looked at. The whole longterm injury really threw a wrench in RPI's plans as they think very highly of Scott Diebold, but they really wanted him to develop behind Kasdorf this year and the next. Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out. Especially considering our potential clog at goalie prospects. Which is a problem I'll be glad to have.

Katz...just awful. At that level of management your head has to be thinking business 99% of the time and I'm not sure if Katz is thinking business even 50% of the time when it comes to the Oilers. Hiring previous cup winners to put in management positions because they're "winners" is one of the worst strategies I've ever heard of.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Hahaha:

@mc79hockey
Quote:
The rolling ten game Fenwick chart for Anaheim the year Boudreau replaced Carlyle is great.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
I thought this was a great quote and something Jets fans should be cognizant of as well:

2010 depth - Kichton
2011 depth - Likely just Lowry and Kasdorf (sadly injured) lipon to keep an active eye on.
2012 depth - Kosmachuk, Hellebuyck, and Olsen Copp sum it up. I don't think Olsen gets past bottom six upside, but Kosmachuk can score and at worst still has bottom 6er skills. Hellebuyck could be an absolute home run goaltender.
See this is why I am high on the draft class of 2013, not only did we land Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Lodge, and Kostalek but the Red ink above represents how we managed to backfill our previous years draft classes and I believe it makes them look allot more promising. I do consider it backfill because a kid like Lipon is older and further along in his development curve than a Lodge type.

whatdidyoudoformelatleychevy

Old
01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
See this is why I am high on the draft class of 2013, not only did we land Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Lodge, and Kostalek but the Red ink above represents how we managed to backfill our previous years draft classes and I believe it makes them look allot more promising. I do consider it backfill because a kid like Lipon is older and further along in his development curve than a Lodge type.

whatdidyoudoformelatleychevy
I don't count any of those guys to other drafts because, quite frankly, they weren't selected in other drafts. They may be older, but they were chosen in 2013. As the 2013 draft class. They should never be attributed to another draft class because of age.

I'm also not sure how much they were actually attempting to backfill as the guys they took were very legitimate choices at those selections.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
jetkarma

Wasn't sure where to put this , not this league but it took place in a league lol ...

My son sent me this link , a couple of Winnipeg boys playing overseas , this move from Adam who we know extremley well doesn't surprise me in the least.

http://deadspin.com/hockey-assists-d...209?autoplay=0

Old
01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
I don't count any of those guys to other drafts because, quite frankly, they weren't selected in other drafts. They may be older, but they were chosen in 2013. As the 2013 draft class. They should never be attributed to another draft class because of age.

I'm also not sure how much they were actually attempting to backfill as the guys they took were very legitimate choices at those selections.
Yea I agree they were legit picks and I liked all of them allot value wise. The reason I say backfill is because they are the same age as the kids in those drafts. Sure technically Lipon was drafted in 2013 and will always be a part of that class but he was eligible in the same year as Lowry and Scheif and played in the WHL longer than Mark played in the OHL. JC is further along his development curve and was AHL eligible this year so I look at him as an 2011 age wise.

either way its all good for me because the 2013 draft looks great overagers and all

Old
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:

So they're giving up already? I love it. Absolutely love it. The bill finally came due for all those frigging cups and they're still making the payments.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 2149
Apparently Jimmy Howard had issues tonight. Another Luongo tweet.

@strombone1: FINALLY!!! Another NHL goalie that almost **** his pants #welcometotheclub

Old
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
So they're giving up already? I love it. Absolutely love it. The bill finally came due for all those frigging cups and they're still making the payments.
The thing tho, is they really have 0 clue what they are doing. Ya the trade deadline hasn't come yet but your suppose to stock up on draft picks if your rebuilding not give them away.

This draft they only have a
1st,4th,5th,2x6th and 7th.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:04 AM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

solid response from Derek Zona to the Katz letter - it's a great read if you have time

Daryl Katz Writes Letter To Fans. I Respond in Kind

Old
01-21-2014, 06:30 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
solid response from Derek Zona to the Katz letter - it's a great read if you have time

Daryl Katz Writes Letter To Fans. I Respond in Kind
That is a great letter!

Old
01-21-2014, 11:57 PM
FBS

vCash: 138
Looks like a lot of vCash was lost tonight... tons of upset games aside from Jets/Ducks.

Old
01-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBS View Post
Looks like a lot of vCash was lost tonight... tons of upset games aside from Jets/Ducks.
I did a triple take on the Blues/Devils game. 7-1? Damn.

01-22-2014, 06:28 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I did a triple take on the Blues/Devils game. 7-1? Damn.
It seems the Devils already have their goal scoring quota for the week

Old
01-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 2149
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Michael Del Zotto has been traded to NSH.

@DarrenDreger: Del Zotto to Nashville for Kevin Klein. Pending trade call. #TSN

Old
01-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
LOLSather.

MDZ may be struggling this year, but that's a steal for the Preds. Kevin Klein is awful.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Michael Del Zotto has been traded to NSH.

@DarrenDreger: Del Zotto to Nashville for Kevin Klein. Pending trade call. #TSN

WOW! Holy Crap and here people were proposing MDZ+ for Buff. Damn we could have had MDZ for a guy like Clitsome if he was healthy... Clitsome >>> Klein. Terrible trade for Rangers

Old
01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
JetsFan815

The more I think about it the more jealous I'm of Nashville. First Forsberg and now MDZ. How come we're never in on these great steal trades? MDZ would have looked good as our 2nd pairing LHD. His downsides are overated and imo a case of the coach not being a fit with him. If hardass like Torterella didn't put MDZ in the doghouse that means that AV was not using MDZ well. Damn... wish we could have gotten him esp at that price.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
The more I think about it the more jealous I'm of Nashville. First Forsberg and now MDZ. How come we're never in on these great steal trades? MDZ would have looked good as our 2nd pairing LHD. His downsides are overated and imo a case of the coach not being a fit with him. If hardass like Torterella didn't put MDZ in the doghouse that means that AV was not using MDZ well. Damn... wish we could have gotten him esp at that price.
exactly what I thought Nashville sure is everybodys darling around the league somehow.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:18 PM
meedle

Wow. Oiler Fans are starting a revolt against Lowe. Can't say I blame them, 4th highest ticket prices and no end in sight with the way things are being run. A very interesting article about Dubby after the trade to Nashville from Trotz.

https://www.facebook.com/Lowemustgo

Old
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

"found love in a hopeless place"

Old
01-22-2014, 05:23 PM
JC Numminen
The top dog

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
WOW! Holy Crap and here people were proposing MDZ+ for Buff. Damn we could have had MDZ for a guy like Clitsome if he was healthy... Clitsome >>> Klein. Terrible trade for Rangers
I would do that in a heart beat. Terrible trade for NYR IMO. Havent watched much of them this season, but a 23 year old d man with great potential and upside for a guy with what, 3 points? Don't see why they did this trade (the Rangers)

And yeah, to think Buff for MDZ was turned down on the rangers board.

Closed Thread