HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Watching PVR'd Sports

Old
01-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Reading this thread I've learned Canadians PVR and Americans DVR.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post

Wonder what that makes me-I'm Canadian but use "DVR" in my language use

Well, from a totally unscientific, small sample size, just for the fun of it type of way-going by this thread so far, it seems about 65 percent pvr/dvr vs those who don't-would be interesting to see if those numbers carried out into fleshed out numbers.

I don't have a dvr at the moment, but when I had one-I would record and watch games-my life just to busy and schedule too hectic to be able to watch games live.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

Wonder what that makes me-I'm Canadian but use "DVR" in my language use

Well, from a totally unscientific, small sample size, just for the fun of it type of way-going by this thread so far, it seems about 65 percent pvr/dvr vs those who don't-would be interesting to see if those numbers carried out into fleshed out numbers.

I don't have a dvr at the moment, but when I had one-I would record and watch games-my life just to busy and schedule too hectic to be able to watch games live.
I know Rogers/Bell advertises them as PVR's and that's what I've always called them. Never heard of DVR until this thread.

Lots of articles on both.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...article625675/

As for recording events. I had a PVR and recorded tons of stuff but found that the reason I recorded the game was also the reason I never watched what I recorded (no time)

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 08:27 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
I do it somewhat often, especially with NFL games which I find fairly slow paced. There are only so many slow motion replays of reactions of, say, ... a coach, or Jerry Jones, or someone's wife or whomever. sometimes the time between plays is almost maddening.
not to mention the amount of commercials...

Come playoff time NFL football is almost unwatchable unless you pvr it...

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:11 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Interesting topic, but not thinking that there's much of a connection to the BoH from how it's been progressing.

Moving to the main board.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:40 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

With a full time work schedule, playing hockey a couple times a week and going out on dates and with buddies other times -- I'm finding I'm missing a lot of Leaf games

So I've been PVR'ing them and pretty much hiding my phone and keeping myself blind from the score until I can get back home to watch the game.

If I don't know the score, I find watching a PVR'ed game as enjoyable if not better than a live one. With no commercials, intermissions or unnecessary segments the game flows incredibly and takes less than half the time to complete. When time permits, I actually prefer this way of watching the game

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:08 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I work in a 24/7 environment and I don't get home most nights until 9 pm... So I basically PVR every hockey game and end up watching them around 11 PM after my girlfriend goes to sleep.

It's very much doable and enjoyable as long as I don't know the score. Otherwise I end up fast-forwarding.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
not to mention the amount of commercials...

Come playoff time NFL football is almost unwatchable unless you pvr it...
You can't be serious. Yesterdays games were epic. Much more exciting than any nhl playoff game. One and done.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Always PVR sports. Just make sure you extend the tape and you have enough room on the box. Nothin worse than having the game cut off because you ran out of room.

kilgro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:32 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
You can't be serious. Yesterdays games were epic. Much more exciting than any nhl playoff game. One and done.
What does that have to do with the obscene amount of commercial breaks during nfl football?

I understand why they are there but if i have the choice to start a game an hour late so that i dont have to watch them you can be damn sure i will.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

As a Sharks fan living on Eastern time, I do my best to stay up until 1am to watch the games. But since I start work around 6am, I often will DVR the last 2 periods and watch them on 'fast forward' the morning before I go to work.

01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Denver-Pats was dull.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
i learned the same

i was so confused at the title, i thought it was a typo. In any case, i always DVR...even if im home and ready to watch i still let it record because i hate commercials. I usually wait about an hour after puck drop to tune in and watch the game and with that kind of buffer i usually dont get caught up and if i do its late in the 3rd period.

When i DVR and i know im not going to get to watch the game till much later then i avoid HF, news anyplace that might have the score posted. Yahoo! screwed me over a month ago on this, they posted the score of the Kings game on my home page becasue i frequented the NHL Sports section of Yahoo so they did me a favor by remembering that and started posting the score on the main page. I've learned to wipe my cookies and browsing data on days like that.

So yea...i always DVR or PVR i guess...

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
What does that have to do with the obscene amount of commercial breaks during nfl football?

I understand why they are there but if i have the choice to start a game an hour late so that i dont have to watch them you can be damn sure i will.
Worse, unless you had better feeds, with CTV handling both feeds, we didn't even get to switch from CBS to Fox promos. I have never seen any of those shows on CTV, but after yesterday I hate them.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

PVR? Is that the Canadian DVR?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
PVR? Is that the Canadian DVR?
No, it's just them trying to be different. Like calling Macaroni and Cheese Kraft Dinner, or using that archaic u in words like color

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Being a Bruins fan and living on the West Coast has made the PVR mandatory. Stay off Twitter, don't listen to the radio on the way home. Get home from work around 4:30, 30 minutes behind. I usually catch up to the live action by the end of the 2nd period.

It's awesome when the Bruins play one of their dozen Saturday matinee games. I hate watching hockey at 10:00 AM on a Saturday, kind of takes over my day and Saturday is a pretty busy day. PVR it, avoid media and watch it later in the afternoon. Blast through commercials.

It's great for football as well. 10:00 AM starts on the West Coast for my team? No worries. PVR it, start watching at 11:00, skip the billion commercials.

I don't want to remember what it was like without a PVR.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:14 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
i learned the same

i was so confused at the title, i thought it was a typo. In any case, i always DVR...even if im home and ready to watch i still let it record because i hate commercials. I usually wait about an hour after puck drop to tune in and watch the game and with that kind of buffer i usually dont get caught up and if i do its late in the 3rd period.

When i DVR and i know im not going to get to watch the game till much later then i avoid HF, news anyplace that might have the score posted. Yahoo! screwed me over a month ago on this, they posted the score of the Kings game on my home page becasue i frequented the NHL Sports section of Yahoo so they did me a favor by remembering that and started posting the score on the main page. I've learned to wipe my cookies and browsing data on days like that.

So yea...i always DVR or PVR i guess...
Just on those days eh?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Garbage Goal

Doesn't have the same feeling to it as a live event.

Also, if you're going to skip through all the commercials and/or boring play you might as well just watch the highlights on NHL.com or something instead.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I never used to, but I've been starting games an hour late this year. Gamecenter is behind by a minute or two, so I can't really be on here anyways, and this way it means I can skip all the breaks

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Noori

vCash: 50
I do this for every Flames game that isn't Hockey Night in Canada. I'll set the PVR (say for a 7:00 pm game) and work on assignments/study/whatever until about 8:30 at which point I'll start watching, fast forwarding through commercials, intermissions, in-game advertisements. If the Flames get down 2-0, i basically just hit live. Yeah yeah, maybe I'm not a 'real fan' but it saves me a ton of time and disappointment. If the Flames were a halfway decent team, I'd try and watch the games live.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I prefer to watch the game recorded as well to skip commercials but it's pretty damn hard to avoid hearing anything about the game. It sucks when you're looking forward to watching it and someone ruins it for you.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Affinity

If I can't watch it live I'm not watching it. Though on MSG they do a condensed showing of the game which I will watch.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 342
I usually watch live but lately have been DVRing the Avs to watch later. I'll stay off social media and keep away from the score when I do this.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Doesn't have the same feeling to it as a live event.

Also, if you're going to skip through all the commercials and/or boring play you might as well just watch the highlights on NHL.com or something instead.
this is one of the more retarded statements ive seen in some time.

So I may as well just watch the highlights because I dont want to watch the commercials?