HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Watching PVR'd Sports

Old
01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
If I'm gonna watch it later, the 5 minute NHL.com highlight video is plenty for me. Then I'm watching 3 hours of hockey in 5 minutes! Efficiency!

Oftentimes I enjoy spending that time watching the games. The breaks allow me to get other things done (homework during the intermission, or maybe make some dinner?) and it's tough for me to sit down and watch anything for a few hours straight anyways.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
ZacUSNYR

vCash: 500
I'm such a tool, I only DVR the games I go to. So I can catch the interviews, pre-game, post game, and see some of the details or stuff I missed because I get distracted.

I love my live hockey.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
As for PVR vs DVR initially there was a difference between them.
PVR was used in the states until 2003.
No it wasn't. It was called "replay TV" or Tivo.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
tempest2i
Feral

When home I watch nearly all sports on my PVR. The only reason to watch a game live is to interact with people here or on twitter.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:50 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
this is one of the more retarded statements ive seen in some time.

So I may as well just watch the highlights because I dont want to watch the commercials?

qft. I can watch the same amount of sports most watch in 3 days in 1 full day cause while they watch 6 hours of commercials ive put in 2 extra games. I watched the rangers, ufc, and 2 football games on sunday in about 6 1/2 hours. Ufc wad from (wednesday)

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:53 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

I PVR about half of the games.

It's really hard to stay off social media, and basically the internet as a whole, before and while watching though.

Even harder when I can't go to a GDT and talk about a play that just happened because it actually happened 3 hours ago.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
I prefer DVRing sports. Too many commercials and it's a much larger time investment than sitting down and watching it after it has been recorded.
I do the same....usually start watching a live sports event about an hour into the coverage (or later that night if I have other plans). I avoid finding out the result, which is easy with NHL hockey where I live.

I can barely stand to watch a commercial these days, and live sports has a maddening amount of downtime and commercials (though hockey is not as bad as a sport like football).

I don't know where folks get the time to watch games live. I hate having to plan my schedule around things on TV. So I don't. I just record what I'm interested in and watch it when its convenient to me.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:33 PM
WhiteMandingo
The Epilogue

I DVR every Bruins game and most Oilers games. I hate intermissions and pointless interviews and commercials etc. Instead of taking 2.5 hours to watch a game I spend a little over 1 hour.
The only time I watch games live is during the playoffs.

WhiteMandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
I do this all the time. With two kids under the age of 4 and a busy work schedule it's pretty much a necessity for me if I want to watch sports.
same here.

i DVR all my canucks games because of parenting duties and the time change. i even DVR'd the seahawks game on the weekend.

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
thekernel

I don't watch a game if it's not live. I find it greatly reduces the experience. You kind of have to make this huge effort to not spoil the ending; you have to not talk to any of your friends that watched it, you have to avoid your phone/facebook/twitter, and you have to avoid all sports channels and sports websites (which for a fantasy geek like me is completely impossible). I mean, if I miss a game, I miss a game. I'm not going to go out in public and expect people to not talk about it -- people can have whatever PVR preference for all I care, but when they start stressing that they "have the game on at home, so nobody spoil it", I lose a little sanity.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

vCash: 111
This is why I don't post in the GDT's. I always DVR the game and start watching 1 hour after puck drops then get caught up late in the 3rd. I prefer watching games like this, no commercials or intermissions. The game goes by fairly quick. I havent missed a game in 2 years using this method.

Hammettf2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

I pvr all the time. I hate commercials and the in-between period chatter bores me.

Not much of a football fan, but when i do watch, it takes me about 20 min., bypassing the tedious huddles, timeouts, commercials, halftime, etc etc.

A five set tennis match that lasts 5 hours can be viewed in an hour or less.

Its also a god-send for golf. Zip thru all the talking head bs, commercials, pithy sentimental segments regarding the greatness of Augusta/Sawgrass/St Andrews/etc.

Its the only way to watch.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Ever since I got my DVR I use intermissions during Jets games to pause, play a quick game online of chell. Then, use the time I overshot the intermission by to skip commercials. Repeat in second intermission. I love it so much better.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:14 PM
BeardedCanuck

Most of the time I watch live but the odd time I will PVR games, but like others have said, if my team is losing by a couple goals it's hard not to fast forward because the option is there.

BeardedCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
rileymac79

vCash: 778
Doing it today for the Islanders Rangers game. Have to work overtime... Shutting off phone, not looking on the internet, and not listening to any radio on the ride home from work... But it bet someone will still ruin it

rileymac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
meenamjah

I love PVRing sports. It works especially well for football, with the 30second play clock, and the 30 second skip function. gets annoying when a team's playing hurry up offence though.

skipping commercials in hockey is nice too.

meenamjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
J Canuck
Canuck Lifer

I watch late weekday games the next morning over coffee. I wouldn't get through a day without checking scores, so I have to get up early to watch on GameCenter Live. I don't miss out on sleep or have to make up time at work, I only miss out on commercials and the intermission stuff. Works for me.

J Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Even if I don't know the result, I don't like to watch replays of sports. The luxury of skipping through commercials and intermissions is nice but usually I take those opportunities to get refreshments, use the washroom, make conversation with friends, etc. Also I have this weird compulsion that I know if the result is already out there I'd rather just look it up than watch it play out.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
WPGNYRFan

The only games I watch while they're actually playing are the Jets games I attend as a STH. I hate having to sit through commercials. The big drawback of course is that I cheer for both the Rangers and the Jets, and when they're both playing on the same night, sometimes I get the score of the other game spoiled when watching the first one.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Also I have this weird compulsion that I know if the result is already out there I'd rather just look it up than watch it play out.
Everybody is different but I don't really understand this mind frame. If you watch a DVD or a movie on Netflix you know that the ending is right within your reach. My guess is you let your movies play out because that's kind of the point. You're not the only person who has said something like this; I feel genuinely sorry for you guys.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
thekernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Everybody is different but I don't really understand this mind frame. If you watch a DVD or a movie on Netflix you know that the ending is right within your reach. My guess is you let your movies play out because that's kind of the point. You're not the only person who has said something like this; I feel genuinely sorry for you guys.
The difference is, there isn't a movie channel with a ticker scrolling through all of the endings and relevant plot points

JACK DIES, ROSE LIVES ON ------- IT WAS HIS SLED ------ DARTH VADER WAS LUKE'S FATHER

Anyway I forgot where I was going with this but I don't sympathize with people who ruin results/endings for themselves. And in the case of people who PVR sports, I don't sympathize when they have the endings accidentally ruined by virtue of someone else talking about it

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:13 PM
capebretoncanadien

Every Habs game.

Thought at first that I'd hate it but there's no substitute.

Game done in 90 minutes.

Love it.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:24 PM
MessierII

I do it all the time. Sometimes I intentionally wait an hour just so I can dodge commercials.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote