HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Darcy Regier seriously calling out the rest of the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
The Real

vCash: 500
Darcy Regier seriously calling out the rest of the NHL

www.sabres.com

Listen to his press conference from this afternoon. Among the things mentioned were....

- Could not believe the money being thrown at free agents. Believes that the teams would have been better to sign players before the lock out and take advantage of the 24% roll back.

- Was astonished that teams were signing these players to 4 and 5 year deals. The length of these contracts is going to seriously hurt the league's new policy of making all teams competitive. Went on to say that these teams are throwing money at the players the way they did before the draft.

- Also, was active in making offers to free agents but had to drop out because of the height of the salaries offered.

Really sounded like he was taking his shot at the Bobby Clarkes' of the world. I agree with alot of what he said and would tell any hockey fan to listen to the press conference. This in no way lessens my aggrivation with the Sabres, but atleast from a fan's standpoint I have a bit more understanding.

Old
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
NotJT

Well, either he is right and his team will be well positioned in the coming years.

-Or-

He hasnt made the proper adjustment to the new reality and the Sabres will wallow in suckitude while he is around.

Genius or a Donkey, only time will tell.

Old
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Egil

He isn't the only GM sitting on the sidelines. Muckler in Ottawa and JFJ in Toronto have both expressed similar sentiments. And many of us here have said the same thing (including myself).

Old
Cmoneyflyguy

That's BS. All teams are able to spend the same amount. Clarke is staying completely within the rules of the CBA. The problem is teams like Carolina who have stated they will spend 26-28 million, but will still take checks from the higher revenue teams. Cap management is an art. Can the sabres not afford the 39 million?

Old
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think he's clearly upset at a lot of the formerly small payroll teams like Columbus, Atlanta, Florida, and Chicago. These teams, in my mind, were clearly guilty of overpaying. Not that I blame them. They had more money to spend than they knew what to do with and it allowed them to land players at prices that most clubs with an eye towards the cap wouldn't touch. And in doing so, they upgraded their teams significantly (at least on paper).

I do think the length of the contracts is a problem, but I think that will rectify itself. When players like Adam Foote are making 4.5 mil at the age of 37/38, teams are going to wish the deals were slightly more reasonable. That lesson, if it is to be learned, will come in time. This isn't like the NFL where you can cut players towards the latter part of the contract, is it?

Old
08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Well it looks like we've found the first firing of the 2005-2006 season.

His hands must be numb from sitting on them all week. Does he realize the Sabres are reeling from a bankruptcy? Wonder why the Senators didn't go out and buy Peter Forsberg or Scott Niedermayer? The only FA's who are getting the big longterm deals are the best ones available.... OMG Peter Forsberg is making over 6 million. What a surprise!!! Oh wait, Pronger is an Oiler, i thought they were in trouble too.... The Bluejackets signed ADAM FOOTE for how much?!?!?!

He's going to have enough players left over in the next week or so to build a good team and on the Sabres' budget. It sounds like he just wants to complain because he can't find a better reason why he's such a terrible GM

Shut up Regier and swallow your pill. You make me sick

Old
08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Jacob

I think things will work themselves out. Teams have a ridiculous amount of cap space right now, but in the upcoming offseasons the activity won't be nearly as great.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Hawksfan_27

Sour grapes is what I say. Maybe instead of having press conferences to whine about the teams signing these players, maybe they should be signing people.
Problem is Buffalo has no draw power. No one wants to play there.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real
www.sabres.com

Listen to his press conference from this afternoon. Among the things mentioned were....

- Could not believe the money being thrown at free agents. Believes that the teams would have been better to sign players before the lock out and take advantage of the 24% roll back.

that 24% rollback caught owners and gms completely by surprise.How could teams have taken advantage of something they didn't expect?

Old
08-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Platapie

Things will work themselves out, that's the great thing about a hard cap.

I must admit though it's really ironic to see all of these small market teams, which lambasted the bigger ones for giving up youth or paying too much for players in the past, do the EXACT same thing once they are capable of it. Amusing? Yes. A problem? Nah.

Old
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
OMG Peter Forsberg is making over 6 million. What a surprise!!!
Yeah, and Dan McGillis is making $4.1 million, Vladimir Malakhov is making $3.6 million, Marek Malik is making $2.5 million. Those contracts are an absolute joke.

Old
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
that 24% rollback caught owners and gms completely by surprise.How could teams have taken advantage of something they didn't expect?
I'm not sure he's saying that they should have known to do it but that if they had done it, they would have been better off.

Old
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
Well it looks like we've found the first firing of the 2005-2006 season.

His hands must be numb from sitting on them all week. Does he realize the Sabres are reeling from a bankruptcy? Wonder why the Senators didn't go out and buy Peter Forsberg or Scott Niedermayer? The only FA's who are getting the big longterm deals are the best ones available.... OMG Peter Forsberg is making over 6 million. What a surprise!!!
Hes not, hes making $5.3m,

Old
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
SJeasy

The smart GM's should hold out for the moon when high-spending teams have to adjust their rosters after arbitration awards. LA already got a third rounder for free with a ONE-YEAR big contract for a player who might actually earn it.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
He isn't the only GM sitting on the sidelines. Muckler in Ottawa and JFJ in Toronto have both expressed similar sentiments. And many of us here have said the same thing (including myself).
Toronto (like Detroit, and possibly Colorado and NYR) are sitting back, just because they don't have a lot of money to throw around anymore. They have to play it smarter, especially the Wings, TO, and NY.

I don't have to problem with Waddell giving Holik all sorts of money, he'll learn his lesson in time. Foote wasn't as bad, as he's a premier d-man, better than Hatcher in any case. Regier has a point, but the Sabres are getting beat out by the Penguins, and they were in about as bad a shape as they were, sounds like he's pissed because he's getting schooled in the new CBA structure.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:05 PM
fullmetalninja

Regier is trying to cover his Ass.

The Hawks have dramatically improved their team and are standing at a 21 mil (including RFAs Bell and Arnason, but not TBO) payroll right now. I hardly see how they are overpaying.

The Haws were profitable 2 seasons ago with a 35 mil payroll and a 1/2 empty building.

-fullmetalninja

Old
08-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'm not sure he's saying that they should have known to do it but that if they had done it, they would have been better off.
And I think he is correct. Adam Foote would not have gotten $6 mil a year, for example. Adrian Aucoin would not have gotten $5.25 mil a year. Thats what there contracts translate to pre-rollback. I fully agree with Mr. Regier, and I think the SMART GM's havn't signed too many guys.

I will also submit that some of the deals are fine. Niedermier probably gets $9 mil, Forsberg would certainly get $7 mil, etc. Its the second tier guys who have been overpaid, severely.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:06 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Hes not, hes making $5.3m,
Touché, I need to turn the rant machine off and proofread before I submit.

But seriously, my blacklist of GM's now includes him. What a whiny loser.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan_27
Sour grapes is what I say. Maybe instead of having press conferences to whine about the teams signing these players, maybe they should be signing people.
Problem is Buffalo has no draw power. No one wants to play there.
i agree... bullet point #3 should be read over and over again. there's your answer, guys!

Old
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

The only GM not to sign anyone so far is Doug Wilson in SJ. I know it's just been 1 year, but his track record was good out there.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
The only GM not to sign anyone so far is Doug Wilson in SJ. I know it's just been 1 year, but his track record was good out there.
David Poile of the Predators hasn't signed anyone that I am aware of off the UFA market.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Darth Milbury

I think the teams that signed older players to multi-year deals (like my Isles) will regret it.

I doubt Reiger's comments reflected his concern for the league, as much as it reflected his frustration with his own team's situation.

But, bottom line, I agree with what he is saying.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Poor Darcy.

You don't have to call out anybody in the NHL. If the contracts are nonsensical, they'll backfire by themselves. If Darcy can manage his team well, he'll rise to the top.

Currently, he's not really in a position to call out anybody because pretty much all he does is suck. I remember him making comments about poor management by other teams back when he was trying to sign Peca. He sucked then and has continued to suck.

I don't understand why people are surprised small teams are offering nice contracts. They HAVE to. You're not going to attract good free agents on a suck-squad by offering equal money. This is the lesson of the Forsberg deal. Players are going to sign affordable contracts only if they perceive other advantages, like competitiveness (or family situation, or whatever).

I still don't understand why people mention Columbus as a culprit. The Foote signing is a nice one and is perfectly logical in this environment. If you don't try to become competitive, it's not gonna happen by magic. If you make the right decisions and build a winner, THEN you can attract free agents on the strength of your competitiveness and probably get slightly better deals. If you offer Foote $3.5, and if that's the best he can get, you can be sure he's going to earn this $3.5 in an establish market, not Columbus.

Few players are going to sign for Buffalo at the average market price, unless there's no room elsewhere for you. Why would you sign a "fair" contract to be part of a team that has been GMed by a guy who put his testicles in a drawer years ago? A team that has no proven track record, in an unremarkable market? It's not gonna happen if another team offers similar money. That's reality of the market place in a league.

After years of sucking and watching other teams try stuff, I think it's time for Darcy to give Buffalo fans what they deserve. He should just try something.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real
www.sabres.com

- Was astonished that teams were signing these players to 4 and 5 year deals. The length of these contracts is going to seriously hurt the league's new policy of making all teams competitive. Went on to say that these teams are throwing money at the players the way they did before the draft.

- Also, was active in making offers to free agents but had to drop out because of the height of the salaries offered.

Really sounded like he was taking his shot at the Bobby Clarkes' of the world. I agree with alot of what he said and would tell any hockey fan to listen to the press conference. This in no way lessens my aggrivation with the Sabres, but atleast from a fan's standpoint I have a bit more understanding.
Boo hoo hoo, your team had to drop out because the salaries were to high, to bad. Can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Stop complaining and get an ownership who will spend the money. what did he think it was really going to change much because of a cap? Teams talk and most teams must have known what type of contracts and money would be paid out after this lockout was settled IMO. sour Grapes.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
David Poile of the Predators hasn't signed anyone that I am aware of off the UFA market.
True...for some reason, for a second I thought Markov was a signing, not a trade.

Closed Thread