HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Is EDM a better team than us, now that they have Pronger and Peca?

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Is EDM a better team than us, now that they have Pronger and Peca?

Yes or no. Go to the Oilers board, they say they are better than us and Nucks.

According to them

Peca>Langkow and Morrison
Pronger>Cgys entire D and Vancouvers Jovo and Ohlund

Old
08-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Link? I would like to know where we say explicity that:

Peca > Morrisson and Langkow
Pronger > CGY's D and Ohlund/Jovo

I certainly don't believe all that and I doubt the majority of HFOil believe that.

If anything, we've shown that Peca has averaged similar PPG over the last few years as Langkow. Morrison is better offensively. Peca is better defensively. They all have their different strengths but they are also (IMO) all comparable players.

As for Pronger, the only thing I recall us saying is that now we finally have a true #1 D to match up against Naslund and Iginla. Pronger, as a single defenseman, is better than any single defenseman on either Calgary or Vancouver's roster. But we certainly did not say Pronger is better than the combined talent of CGY's D-corps or that he is better than Ohlund AND Jovo.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:23 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Calgary and Vancouver are going to be the division favorites, Edmonton didn't gain a ton here, they still lost York, Brewer and some dandry prospects.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Link? I would like to know where we say explicity that:

Peca > Morrisson and Langkow
Pronger > CGY's D and Ohlund/Jovo

I certainly don't believe all that and I doubt the majority of HFOil believe that.

If anything, we've shown that Peca has averaged similar PPG over the last few years as Langkow. Morrison is better offensively. Peca is better defensively. They all have their different strengths but they are also (IMO) all comparable players.

As for Pronger, the only thing I recall us saying is that now we finally have a true #1 D to match up against Naslund and Iginla. Pronger, as a single defenseman, is better than any single defenseman on either Calgary or Vancouver's roster. But we certainly did not say Pronger is better than the combined talent of CGY's D-corps or that he is better than Ohlund AND Jovo.
Yeah, but if you say ridiculous things people will occasionally believe them

Old
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Redrum

Calgary is looking great right now. Edmonton is Pronger, Peca, and an AHL team. So no they are not even close.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon
Calgary is looking great right now. Edmonton is Pronger, Peca, and an AHL team. So no they are not even close.
An AHL team that was 9th in scoring last season and finished two points out of a playoff spot without Pronger and Peca?

That's one heck of an AHL team.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Redrum

Every dog has it's day.

Old
08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Every dog has it's day.
Right back at ya.'

Old
08-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
Go to the Oilers board, they say they are better than us and Nucks.
This thread is on high alert. If anybody's looking to bait Oilers fans to come over to start trouble, here, there will be problems. Count on it.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Trevor_deen

No. The Oilers made some great improvements to their team but the Flames look vicious. If the battle of Alberta gets nasty, the Flames will come out on top.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Lowetide

Flames have a terrific team with a nice mix of youth and experience. They could easily get right back to the finals and win the thing.

I'm thrilled with the Oilers moves this week and would disagree with the post about the team being made up of mostly AHLers.

But there's no real doubt about who has the better team.

Old
08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
PDO

Quote:
Funny, last I checked Calgary had Iginila.. and... who?

Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house .

Old
08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO

hey do you guys still have conklin? cuz we've only got this miikka kiprusoff guy.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:11 PM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO

Langkow, Reinprecht, Amonte, Simon...

The list goes on and on. It's not all about names my friend. It's about building a TEAM.

On D, I'll give you Pronger and Smith, but it gets a little shallow after that.

Flames: Regehr, Leopold, Warrener, Phaneuf, Lydman...

Old
08-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
hey do you guys still have conklin? cuz we've only got this miikka kiprusoff guy.
Hey dude, where do you keep your "1 GOAL AWAY FROM THE CUP 2005!!" banner? I'd hang mine above my bed but its stacked with "ACTUALLY WON CUPS IN 84,85,87,88,90". banners.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:21 PM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
ACTUALLY WON CUPS IN 84,85,87,88,90 banners.
That's great. You do know though that we are nearing 2006 right?

Old
08-04-2005, 10:21 PM
zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller

The list goes on and on. It's not all about names my friend. It's about building a TEAM.
...and the Oilers have Smyth, Dvorak, Hemsky, Moreau...

...and the FLames got Lombardi, Nilson, Langkow...

It's pointless to battle names. My point is no way do the Oilers have an "AHL team" after Pronger and Peca. Also, as far as building a TEAM goes, I'd say we're in good shape considering our 5x5 play last season.

On paper the Flames look better mainly due to in goal and on D. Ty Conklin is no slouch, by the way. Our goaltending should be solid, especially if Markkanen comes back. I think that duo will surprise a lot of Oiler bashers. As far as defense goes, Lowe needs to get a 6th and 7th defenseman unless someone like Greene surprises us in camp and makes the team. We have a few young promising defenseman like Semenov, Bergeron, and Greene.

The few immediately label the Oilers an AHL team with a couple of big names attached should give their heads a shake. Especially since we're coming over to your board and basically admitting you still have a better team. Don't worry, you still have a tight grip on your security blanket. I understand there are a lot of intelligent Flames fans here and that they don't speak for all of you.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:22 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Hey dude, where do you keep your "1 GOAL AWAY FROM THE CUP 2005!!" banner? I'd hang mine above my bed but its stacked with "ACTUALLY WON CUPS IN 84,85,87,88,90". banners.
It`ll fit nicely in with the banner "couldn`t win the cup until Gretzky was traded".

Staios isn`t far from Smith, and Semenov will do great things. Don`t forget Captain Canada, Raffi Torres, Ales Hemsky, Radek Dvorak, and the list goes on... battle of Alberta is back this year boys, and you better be ready!

Old
08-04-2005, 10:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Anybody who lists Simon in a talent comparison is in trouble. Wait and see if you get the in and out of the lineup Simon or the one season in five respectable player. Let's hold off on declaring anybody a contender yet. The NHL has went through a huge change, and both these teams will be coming back with very different looks. The Oilers added strength and grit to try and catch up to the Flames and the Flames in return have added more speed with Amonte to counter-balance speedy teams like the Oilers.

08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Oilman72

I'm certainly not going to say that Calgary is a bad team because they're not, but having people say that it's obvious who the better team is should get off of the pipe.

The Flames had 94 points and the Oilers had 89 points in 2004. You were a mere 5 points ahead of us with a goaltender that performed about as perfect as one can and a ton of work ethic, for which I admire Calgary for. We'll see this year if Kipper has that type of performance this year. I could be mistaken but I think not. Just ask Giguere how that goes in Anaheim.

The fault to the Oiler's in 2004 was a lack of work ethic at times, beating some of the top teams and giving away games to other teams like Calgary. Sorry but 15 or 17 shots in a game doesn't count for crap. Without any more signings, which there is certain to be some, Peca and Pronger instantly give us better leadership and work ethic. They will improve our penalty killing and the bane of the Oiler's existance, the power play.

All said and done, I think both teams are going to have great years and can't wait for the only great rivalry that Calgary should have to be reignited: The Battle of Alberta!

This is coming from a Oiler's fan that bleeds Oiler's colours and hates the Flames. Just as it should be and I expect no less from any Calgary fan. Isn't it great!!

Old
08-04-2005, 10:51 PM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Anybody who lists Simon in a talent comparison is in trouble.
Really?

Disagree. 17 goals last time hockey was played and a +15. A lot of that on a bad team in the NYR. Big, tough and has hands in front of the net.

I would take Simon over quite a few Oilers.

Old
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
zamboni

Quite a few huh? Just wondering which forwards you have in mind? Givens are Laraque and Harvey...possibly Pisani and Stoll depending on preference..

Old
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman72
We'll see this year if Kipper has that type of performance this year. I could be mistaken but I think not. Just ask Giguere how that goes in Anaheim.
Kipper will be fine. Those comparisons to Giguere are silly.

Great second half of the season (when he came to the Flames), great playoffs, silver medal with Finland (who wasn't supposed to go anywhere).

As to your point about the point difference. It took a heroic effort on the part of the Oilers to be that close. How many games did the Oil win down the stretch just to try and be there, with Nedved, who is now gone?

Whatever. This could go on for days and days.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:

On D, I'll give you Pronger and Smith, but it gets a little shallow after that.

Flames: Regehr, Leopold, Warrener, Phaneuf, Lydman...
Warrener is basically the equivalent of the Oilers Staios. The team has been built for years, but lacked superstars and leadership to get anywhere. It looks like those needs are being adressed. Also Lowe has come out and said that the Oilers aren't finished yet.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Oilman72

Quote:
Kipper will be fine. Those comparisons to Giguere are silly.

Great second half of the season (when he came to the Flames), great playoffs, silver medal with Finland (who wasn't supposed to go anywhere).

As to your point about the point difference. It took a heroic effort on the part of the Oilers to be that close. How many games did the Oil win down the stretch just to try and be there, with Nedved, who is now gone?

Whatever. This could go on for days and days.
What did I say? Work Ethic. Calgary's work ethic made them a much more consistant team. Edmonton won a bunch in a row, lost a bunch then won a bunch in the end. You look at a lot of the Oiler's losses and they are to bad teams and/or close games. They weren't beat by better teams on a lot of nights, they just lacked intensity and work ethic.

Closed Thread