HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Novoseltsev, Harvey and Therien

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 11:55 AM
fatmax

vCash: 500
Novoseltsev, Harvey and Therien

If what I've saw's right, how come Novo, Harvey and Therien weren't pick up by any team? and we pick up Langdon and Begin!

can somebody explain this to me?

Maybe it's just because nobody pick Traverse and/or Dick house (sorry I already forgot how to spell his name) :p

Old
10-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax
If what I've saw's right, how come Novo, Harvey and Therien weren't pick up by any team? and we pick up Langdon and Begin!

Maybe it's just because nobody pick Traverse and/or Dick house (sorry I already forgot how to spell his name) :p
Therien earns $2.6M. That's way too pricey for a depth defenseman. Harvey earns $1.3M which is fairly pricey for what he brings to the table at this point. Novoseltsev is a project that I suppose no one wanted to take a chance on.

Begin earns only $375k a year and Langdon earns $500k a year. In total they make less than Harvey and the same amount as Novoseltsev, while providing the sandpaper, tenacity and tremendous character that Montreal desperately needs.

Cheap pickups that can give Montreal a legitimate fourth line, with coachable, character players, for the first time in a long time.

Now what will be interesting to see is who is cut, and who is moved out from this point onwards. I can't see Dackell, Juneau, etc. staying with these moves.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:22 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax

Totally agree. Something must be wrong with Novo cuz i really thought that he was the best player available in this draft.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Freebooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Therien earns $2.6M. That's way too pricey for a depth defenseman. Harvey earns $1.3M which is fairly pricey for what he brings to the table at this point. Novoseltsev is a project that I suppose no one wanted to take a chance on.

Begin earns only $375k a year and Langdon earns $500k a year. In total they make less than Harvey and the same amount as Novoseltsev, while providing the sandpaper, tenacity and tremendous character that Montreal desperately needs.

Cheap pickups that can give Montreal a legitimate fourth line, with coachable, character players, for the first time in a long time.

Now what will be interesting to see is who is cut, and who is moved out from this point onwards. I can't see Dackell, Juneau, etc. staying with these moves.
Why Novoseltsev was not picked up is a bit of a mystery to me, in a 30 team league with watered down talent. Not a lot to lose there for a lot of teams.

The Begin and Langdon pick ups were strong, but I thought Tyler Bouck would be picked up, as he fits the profile you described and would be an ideal replacemnt for Dackell. Begin will allow Kilger to go back to LW, where he belongs, and Langdon is an upgrade over Dwyer.

I agree that Harvey is on a downward trajectory and would not have helped as much as the Begin and Langdon.

Juneau, Dackell, Perrault and a D-man won't be a part of this team in 3-4 months if not sooner.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter
Why Novoseltsev was not picked up is a bit of a mystery to me, in a 30 team league with watered down talent. Not a lot to lose there for a lot of teams.

The Begin and Langdon pick ups were strong, but I thought Tyler Bouck would be picked up, as he fits the profile you described and would be an ideal replacemnt for Dackell. Begin will allow Kilger to go back to LW, where he belongs, and Langdon is an upgrade over Dwyer.

I agree that Harvey is on a downward trajectory and would not have helped as much as the Begin and Langdon.

Juneau, Dackell, Perrault and a D-man won't be a part of this team in 3-4 months if not sooner.
It's not uncommun that many teams pass on good player at the waiver or at waiver only. 30 teams pass on Briere , 29 teams didn't believe Martin St-Louis would not be a good NHLer.

Im not comparing Novo to those 2 but it gives my point that very often not all the teams knows all the players on the other teams. This could be the case or we tend to like that guy without knowing him properly.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Freebooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
It's not uncommun that many teams pass on good player at the waiver or at waiver only. 30 teams pass on Briere , 29 teams didn't believe Martin St-Louis would not be a good NHLer.

Im not comparing Novo to those 2 but it gives my point that very often not all the teams knows all the players on the other teams. This could be the case or we tend to like that guy without knowing him properly.
30 teams passed on Briere and then he went on to score 30+ goals. Good for him, but at the time he was waived he had no success in the NHL.

St. Louis found a niche in Tampa after doing nothing anywhere else.

The difference wirh Novoseltsev is that unlike the other two he is not a midget and teams should not have been reluctant to drop a protected player to put him in a top 6 or top 9 slot on their team. When Briere and St. Louis were waived they looked like AHL players. Novo does not, IMO.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter
30 teams passed on Briere and then he went on to score 30+ goals. Good for him, but at the time he was waived he had no success in the NHL.

St. Louis found a niche in Tampa after doing nothing anywhere else.

The difference wirh Novoseltsev is that unlike the other two he is not a midget and teams should not have been reluctant to drop a protected player to put him in a top 6 or top 9 slot on their team. When Briere and St. Louis were waived they looked like AHL players. Novo does not, IMO.
You made a good point to compared Briere-StLouis vs Novo but like I said maybe professionnal team scout never took attention of him. We will never know why he was passed, I thought also that he was a good player to pick but the Habs & 28 other teams felt differently about him.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
the player i really wanted to see in MOntreal is Jeff Heerema pretty good player imo, ST-Louis grabbed him...

check this out:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=31809

Closed Thread