HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Meszaros

Old
01-20-2014, 12:40 PM
jess22

vCash: 500
Meszaros

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=57349
Quote:
There was a point a month ago where the Flyers couldn't give away Andrej Meszaros because his play had fallen off over the last few years due to injury. His confidence was shot. But the Flyers were listening to teams with interest all the same. Now, Meszaros is one of the hottest D-men in hockey and playing a major role. His game has returned in a major way. San Jose and Phoenix have interest and suddenly he could be the chip in a Byfuglien trade....or the Flyers could just be perfectly happy with him putting up multiple point games for them...there will be talk.

Last edited by Nuckles: 01-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.
jess22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

one week of good play after many bad seasons doesnt make you a key piece of a trade for a star player

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:47 PM
laundryman

I'd rather just keep Meszaros. I don't think many teams would give up a significant piece for him. The Flyers should just let him play and see if he can replicate his production across the rest of the season because if he produces, he's exactly the type of D-man the Flyers need. I'd be open to bringing him back at a lower price.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

3 goals and 9 points in 6 games after 1 goal and 5 points in 24 games doesn't raise his value. He has been horrible for 3 years, and is horribly overpaid.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Ivanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
one week of good play after many bad seasons doesnt make you a key piece of a trade for a star player
You mean one month of good play after many seasons destroyed by injuries. Well, your point stands to a certain extent, but he does have some value. He is heating up at a right time before the trade deadline. Also, if he is paired with Chara in the olympics, watch out for his value rising even higher.

Also, I've seen some Flyers' fans proposing they should move him to forward - intriguing idea. He has good offensive skills and a big body, might work out just fine.

Ivanko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess22 View Post
There was a point a month ago where the Flyers couldn't give away Andrej Meszaros because his play had fallen off over the last few years due to injury. His confidence was shot. But the Flyers were listening to teams with interest all the same. Now, Meszaros is one of the hottest D-men in hockey and playing a major role. His game has returned in a major way. San Jose and Phoenix have interest and suddenly he could be the chip in a Byfuglien trade....or the Flyers could just be perfectly happy with him putting up multiple point games for them...there will be talk.
Not even close. He might get the Flyers a pick.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 1470
for the last 2 years the guy career have been screwed with injuries, Finally he's playing for long stretches and getting better game after game, i'd rather keep him with the way he's playing.

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Deja Lu
HFBoards Sponsor

He's had one good week of play. He won't fetch much.

Deja Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:04 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanko View Post
You mean one month of good play after many seasons destroyed by injuries. Well, your point stands to a certain extent, but he does have some value. He is heating up at a right time before the trade deadline. Also, if he is paired with Chara in the olympics, watch out for his value rising even higher.

Also, I've seen some Flyers' fans proposing they should move him to forward - intriguing idea. He has good offensive skills and a big body, might work out just fine.
Olympic performance has historically never translated over to a player nhl trade value. Plus he would be playing with one of the beat defensemen in the world

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:08 PM
IranCondraAffair

Meszaros could very well play himself into a 4 to 5 million a year contract this offseason if he can put up 40 points again. He does have a long history of production for his age to support himself during negotiations. Philly will be able to afford him at that price but that will make other roster decisions more difficult. Moving him is a legitimate option.

Philly isn't in a position to trade him without another defenceman coming back though which makes his situation interesting. With the way he is playing there's probably only 1-3 guys available for trade in the NHL that would be an upgrade on him, Byfuglien would be among them.

Personally, i don't think the past 15 games are enough to say he's "back" but there's still another month of hockey before the trade deadline and if Philly is still in the running (and the Jets or another team is out), I think Meszaros + 1st round pick would be a very tempting offer. Especially if Philly included compensation if Meszaros didn't sign.

Last edited by IranCondraAffair: 01-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Dr Quincy

So he's no longer the reason his defensive partner doesn't play well? (As I write this Schenn just had a major gaffe that lead to a 2 on 0, I wonder if that was Mez's fault).

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Flyerfan47

Quote:
Correction...When a guy's been hurt for a year and a half, and had 2 PRETTY GOOD YEARS BEFORE INJURY, where do you get many bad seasons?

Flyerfan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Ivanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Olympic performance has historically never translated over to a player nhl trade value. Plus he would be playing with one of the beat defensemen in the world
Maybe you are right, but every Dman playing with Chara looks better than he is, sp it can't hurt his value, only increase. Regardless, if he plays well, the Flyers will probably want to keep and resign him.

Ivanko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Exactly. He's not going to land anything special.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

When healthy, Mez has always been pretty good as a Flyer--and he'd be a useful asset to quite a few teams.

...but will he stay healthy?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Curufinwe

Why would Phoenix have interest in Meszaros?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
belair

Edmonton may have interest in him to see if he can resurrect his career there, but I don't see it happening unless it's a buy-low type deal.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
GRECOHAB

I'll make the same offer I made a couple of months ago...
Meszaros (PHI) for Diaz (MTL), so that PHI can use the salary else where...

Man, oh man, though...did this trade looked better then for the Habs...what difference does a couple of weeks make...Non less I would like Meszaros in a Habs uniform, and beyond this year if he agrees to a 10,5M /3Y contract (decent money for a 5th/6th D)

GRECOHAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Just thought the same thing. Absurd rumblings from Eklund's basement again.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Esq.

Meszaros is great when healthy. Problem is he gets hurt all the time. Then it takes him a couple months to get back to speed and to a high level of play. But then he inevitably gets injured again. Rinse and repeat. I hope we can trade him in a nice package for Byfuglien, but I don't see it happening. We will probably just let him walk in the offseason.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Tripod

If he is playing good...then Philly needs him. If he isn't...then he isn't worth anything. He won't get moved.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:41 PM
BillDineen

He was looking KHL bound before the past few weeks and is now on fire! Not worth much in a trade. Maybe a pick if he keeps it up until the deadline, but probably better for the Flyers to just keep him.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 03:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They probably want to offload that Ekman-Larsson scrub

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
3 goals and 9 points in 6 games after 1 goal and 5 points in 24 games doesn't raise his value. He has been horrible for 3 years, and is horribly overpaid.
This. Sam Gagner had 15 points in four games and it actually decreased his value because he was inconsistent Plus 3 bad years as well

6 good games for Meszaros doesn't change his value at all

01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Perro

UFA after this year. I would take him in LA. He meets the criteria of left handed and being from the flyers.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote