HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mon., Jan. 20, 2014| Flyers 3 at Islanders 4 (3-2 SOL); Voracek hand injury (post #1)

Old
01-21-2014, 12:39 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Well that was ****ing stupid.

Emery was absolute trash in the shootout... it looked like he wasn't trying.

Downie is terrible, he serves zero purpose.

Lecavelier is completely useless as well. He's slow, can't can't win faceoffs, no longer shoots, can't score in the shootout, isn't particularly good at passing, and he's not good defensively...

Hartnell is still useless.

Every single one of the Islanders goals were just tap ins from two inches away... maybe one of those useless D should do something about the guy just standing there waiting...? Nah, it's fine.

Giroux's shootout move was really nice

Matt Read is awesome

Couturier is 3-4 on falling down on shootout attempts, 1-4 in goals. He also ****ed up ~3 clear attempts before Downies stupid penalty...

They can't win if they're leading, they try to hold the lead and play D instead of attempting to score. Sounds like something a head coach might be responsible for fixing.

I also have zero faith in Berube being able to make decent lines if Voracek misses any time.
The Flyers have had more then their share of dirty goals this season. nobody on the Isles picked up Simmonds and he was able to bang home his own rebound.
Probably pretty fortunate Tavares didnt finish that shot in the PP after he had scored earlier when he had Emery down and out. 99 times out of 100 the puck is in the net.
the defense had better start cleaning up its game in their own end or this could be a tough stretch here coming up before the break. You may be able to get away with shoddy defense and goaltending against the Isles and Nashville but against Boston, SJ, Anaheim ect they will make the Flyers pay.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The Flyers have had more then their share of dirty goals this season. nobody on the Isles picked up Simmonds and he was able to bang home his own rebound.
Probably pretty fortunate Tavares didnt finish that shot in the PP after he had scored earlier when he had Emery down and out. 99 times out of 100 the puck is in the net.
the defense had better start cleaning up its game in their own end or this could be a tough stretch here coming up before the break. You may be able to get away with shoddy defense and goaltending against the Isles and Nashville but against Boston, SJ, Anaheim ect they will make the Flyers pay.
I'm not saying that they were dirty goals so the Islanders didn't deserve them, I'm saying that when they get all their goals a single way every single time it would be nice if our D would pick up on that and maybe play a little defense.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:41 AM
JVR21
G

Downie and Vinny have been plain awful.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
This. Now god forbid they resign Downie then we lose the trade big time. If they can trade him for anything ( sooner the better) then we win the trade.

He is so slow he can't even be effective on the 4 th line. It's so hard to watch.
I dunno how the trade is a loss... even if Downie walks, they get cap flexibility and you can at the very worst replace that roster spot with Laughton. Talbot was good but I can't understand why people lament that trade as if we traded Patrick Sharp all over again.

Old
01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I thought Luke Schenn was brutal. Muscled off the puck behind the net. Clearly can't keep up with the Islanders forwards. His regression -- on the whole -- has been tough to watch.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Because there's a 66% chance at 5v5 of at least one of them being on the ice at any given time... statistically a majority of goals against will be when one or the other is on the ice....
Not sure your sums work out there as we roll with 3 lines, but the point is that they both seem to be out there for every conceded goal. Grossmann looking to the heavens as the puck goes in behind him is becoming a trademark.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
I'm not saying that they were dirty goals so the Islanders didn't deserve them, I'm saying that when they get all their goals a single way every single time it would be nice if our D would pick up on that and maybe play a little defense.
Yes i agree. our defenders losing body position in critical areas has been a problem at times this season and it was yesterday. They have to be better. If they arent then its up to the coaches to correct it. Or for Holmgren to go out and get a guy who knows what he is doing in his own zone.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:39 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

This game is NOT Emery's fault.

this team **** **** **** the bed in the 3rd and allowed NYI to get back into it. Shouldn't have happened.
The old adage, have to play a full 60 mins.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:51 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
This game is NOT Emery's fault.

this team **** **** **** the bed in the 3rd and allowed NYI to get back into it. Shouldn't have happened.
The old adage, have to play a full 60 mins.
I dont think the Flyers sat back the way the Isles did on Saturday but yeah the Flyers should of closed that one out yesterday.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I dunno how the trade is a loss... even if Downie walks, they get cap flexibility and you can at the very worst replace that roster spot with Laughton. Talbot was good but I can't understand why people lament that trade as if we traded Patrick Sharp all over again.
Its a loss imo if they resign Downie, that is what I meant. Paying him over 2 million to play 3rd or 4th line is way worse than paying Talbot to do the same role.

If they trade him or he walks, I will be happy. If he stays, I will be pissed.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Its a loss imo if they resign Downie, that is what I meant. Paying him over 2 million to play 3rd or 4th line is way worse than paying Talbot to do the same role.

If they trade him or he walks, I will be happy. If he stays, I will be pissed.
A trade at the deadline I believe could get good value...

He is a 40-45 point winger who can play up and down the lineup and brings grit. He is a middle 6 player and we have an abundance of them.

If it were not for injuries he would have a lot of value.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
As for Emery looking like he isn't trying in the shootout...I don't think that's really what happened. I'm sure he wanted to "try." I think the chief issue is that he just isn't physically capable of keeping up with a shooter one on one like that.

01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
pain2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
A trade at the deadline I believe could get good value...

He is a 40-45 point winger who can play up and down the lineup and brings grit. He is a middle 6 player and we have an abundance of them.

If it were not for injuries he would have a lot of value.
I agree with this but have a hard time seeing who a logical trading partner would be. He's a UFA so only a playoff team would be interested. Playoff/near playoff teams who need wingers that I can think of are: Pittsburgh (ha, not happening), Washington (not happening), Ottawa (do they still hate him there?). Maybe Phoenix, Minnesota or Vancouver? Doesn't seem like a lot of options.

pain2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain2007 View Post
I agree with this but have a hard time seeing who a logical trading partner would be. He's a UFA so only a playoff team would be interested. Playoff/near playoff teams who need wingers that I can think of are: Pittsburgh (ha, not happening), Washington (not happening), Ottawa (do they still hate him there?). Maybe Phoenix, Minnesota or Vancouver? Doesn't seem like a lot of options.
IIRC, there was an Ottawa fan in here not too long ago saying that most of their fans would be okay with a Downie+ 2nd for Wiercoch(SP?) trade. IDK if Ottawa would actually do that but I definitely would

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Voracek's hand can't be too serious, Homer said it would be a game time decision if he plays or not.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
FlyRoutine

I wonder how no one is complaining about the non call on Voracek?
The refs cost us that game. The non call slash on Voracek killed us.
What should have been a PP for us, led to a PP for the isles seconds later, 13 minutes left in the game. I ****ing cant believe, how Voracek left the ice injured and the refs didnt care? Why do they have video cameras installed all over the place? The Isles got the win sticked up in their ***** by the refs, ****ing disgusting.
On all of that, if we lose Voracek long term now, or if it hurts his current game, it could get really ugly on that upcoming schedule. Too bad we arent playing the Isles this season again, I would really appreciate some retaliation on one of their team leading scorers.

FlyRoutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:20 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRoutine View Post
What should have been a PP for us, led to a PP for the isles seconds later, 13 minutes left in the game. I ****ing cant believe, how Voracek left the ice injured and the refs didnt care? Why do they have video cameras installed all over the place? The Isles got the win sticked up in their ***** by the refs, ****ing disgusting.
On all of that, if we lose Voracek long term now, or if it hurts his current game, it could get really ugly on that upcoming schedule. Too bad we arent playing the Isles this season again, I would really appreciate some retaliation on one of their team leading scorers.
Wrong

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:23 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
Wrong
I agree, it wasn't the refs it was the collapse of our Defense and the bad turnovers that cost the Flyers some bad penalties. It started with Hartnell taking a dumb penalty in the offensive zone which cost us a goal.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Sometimes there are games where I think inconsistent reffing played too much of a role in a loss.

This was not one of those games.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:32 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Did Berube use his time out? My watching of the game was spotty, but I didn't think he did and I was pretty upset that he didn't do it when it was obvious the Flyers were on their heels in the third.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Did Berube use his time out? My watching of the game was spotty, but I didn't think he did and I was pretty upset that he didn't do it when it was obvious the Flyers were on their heels in the third.
With 1:02 remaining in the third period.

"That is uh Mine That Bird now to come on to take the lead...In a spectacular, spectacular upset, Mine That Bird has won the Kentucky Derby... an impossible result here!," Tom Durkin. The three degrees of Unbridled.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Tripod

I hate to say it, but the Flyers are about to go on a tailspin. The upcoming schedule is not favorable.

I wish they were proactive and made a move now before we lose leverage after a slump.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:43 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
IIRC, there was an Ottawa fan in here not too long ago saying that most of their fans would be okay with a Downie+ 2nd for Wiercoch(SP?) trade. IDK if Ottawa would actually do that but I definitely would
why would Ottawa deal Wiercioch? Especially for a UFA and a 2nd rounder. Wiercioch is a good young defenseman on a good contract for this season and next. All they could have to show for it is the 2nd round pick? Ottawa doesnt touch that deal. Flyers would have to send a better younger forward for them to even think about it.
if they move any defenseman for that package its for Chris Phillips.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:17 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
So is anyone else thinking, **** it pu Mez on Giroux' line while Jake is out and let Gus play? That's what I'd try, to be honest.

Giroux tha Damaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRoutine View Post
I don't even think Clutterbuck meant to slash him honestly. From the camera angle I saw it looked like follow through on an attempt to lift Jake's stick before a pass, or maybe a short little swat with his stick. Certainly didn't look particularly dirty or malicious in intent.

Giroux tha Damaja is online now   Reply With Quote