HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

The Rare Jewel Mock 2014 NHL enrty draft(Updated)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2014, 06:33 PM
  #1
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
The Rare Jewel Mock 2014 NHL enrty draft(Updated)

1. - Aaron Ekblad - D - Barrie(OHL)
2. - Sam Bennett - C/LW - Kingston(OHL)
3. - Michael Dal Colle - LW - Oshawa(OHL)
4. - Leon Draisaitl - C - Prince Albert(WHL)
5. - Sam Reinhart - C/RW - Kootenay(WHL)
6. - Kasperi Kapanen - RW - KalPa(SM Liiga)
7. - Josh Ho-Sang - RW - Windsor(OHL)
8. - Brendan Perlini - LW - Niagara(OHL)
9. - Nikolaj Ehlers - LW/RW - Halifax(QMJHL)
10. - Jake Virtanen - RW - Calgary(WHL)
11. - Nick Ritche - LW - Peterborough(OHL)
12. - William Nylander - RW/C - MODO(SHL)
13. - Dylan Larkin - LW/C - US-NTDP(USHL)
14. - David Pastrnak - RW/LW - Sodertalje(Allsvenskan)
15. - Haydn Fleury - D - Red Deer(WHL)
16. - Ivan Barbashev - C/LW - Moncton(QMJHL)
17. - Jared McCann - C - S.S Marie(OHL)
18. - Adrian Kempe - LW/C - MODO(SHL)
19. - Roland McKeown - D - Kingston(OHL)

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:33 PM
  #2
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
20. - Nick Schmaltz - C/RW - Green Bay(USHL)
21. - Nikolai Goldobin - RW - Sarnia(OHL)
22. - Conner Bleackley - C/RW - Red Deer(WHL)
23. - Nikita Scherbak - LW/RW - Saskatoon(WHL)
24. - Julius Honka - D - Swift Current(WHL)
25. - Alex Tuch -RW - US-UTDP(USHL)
26. - Kevin Fiala - LW/RW - HV71(SHL)
27. - Aaron Irving - D -Edmonton(WHL)
28. - Jack Glover - D - US-UTDP(USHL)
29. - Eric Cornell - RW/C - Peterborough(OHL)
30. - Anton Karlsson - LW - Frolunda(SHL)


Fire away!

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:37 PM
  #3
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Love some calls hate some others.

Love that you have Larkin that high and that Irving is in the first both already play pro style games.

Hate that Kapanen and Ho-Sang are above Virtanen.

Edit- Kempe to low, Leafs don't pass on Kempe or McCann

Good mock overall though

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:01 PM
  #4
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,908
vCash: 500
I've said this a lot, I don't see the habs passing on Tuch.

He sounds like the exact player the habs will need in the future. A big body who uses it in a punishing fashion.

Could just be trying to hype him up. I'll be honest in that I haven't seen him play.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
  #5
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I've said this a lot, I don't see the habs passing on Tuch.

He sounds like the exact player the habs will need in the future. A big body who uses it in a punishing fashion.

Could just be trying to hype him up. I'll be honest in that I haven't seen him play.
I actually had Tuch going to the Habs, But I thought people would say he's another big forward like McCaron, So I opted more of an offensive pick.

Sorry about that then(not really).

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
  #6
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Love some calls hate some others.

Love that you have Larkin that high and that Irving is in the first both already play pro style games.

Hate that Kapanen and Ho-Sang are above Virtanen.

Edit- Kempe to low, Leafs don't pass on Kempe or McCann

Good mock overall though
I thought about putting Kempe going to Detroit, But I thought it was too obvious.

As a Leaf fan and talking with my fellow fans, Barbashev would be preferred. But I agree he(Kempe) could be higher than 19th.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
  #7
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!
 
Mozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I thought about putting Kempe going to Detroit, But I thought it was too obvious.

As a Leaf fan and talking with my fellow fans, Barbashev would be preferred. But I agree he(Kempe) could be higher than 19th.
I would think the Leafs would be all over McCann at that spot in the draft, Barbashev is no slouch though.

My post may of been a touch negative, but I really enjoyed your mock I like that you have your own personal opinions on players rather than following the norm like some others, this mock has some nice surprises.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:55 PM
  #8
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
I would think the Leafs would be all over McCann at that spot in the draft, Barbashev is no slouch though.

My post may of been a touch negative, but I really enjoyed your mock I like that you have your own personal opinions on players rather than following the norm like some others, this mock has some nice surprises.

I didn't view it has harsh, I welcome the debate and conversation. I kind of had an idea in mind that everyone isn't going to agree with all 30 picks.

But thanks on the feedback.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
  #9
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
I am curious of why you think the Islanders would give Buffalo the 4th overall?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:27 PM
  #10
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I am curious of why you think the Islanders would give Buffalo the 4th overall?
Well I have heard your GM say he thinks it's not a good draft here on Toronto radio; And you probably want to gives your selves a chance at McDavid or Eichel next year just in case.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
  #11
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 500
Not sure if Maloney would go with Pastrnak over McCann at 14 - I think it would be a reach. Not to say that I don't like Pastrnak, but I'd be more comfortable picking him in the late teens or in the 20s.

IPreferPi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
  #12
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Well I have heard your GM say he thinks it's not a good draft here on Toronto radio; And you probably want to gives your selves a chance at McDavid or Eichel next year just in case.
A top 4 pick in this years draft is like picking maybe 4-10th in next year's draft. When you factor in you get a year extra out of a player(ie one before he matures) chances are giving up this year's pick is almost a lateral move. Now their is the chance they can pick top 2, but they also taking a chance they make the playoffs and look foolish that way getting a lesser pick next year.

Beyond that giving up the 4th overall gives a terrible message to fans and players. So I can't see them giving up the 4th pick unless somehow Buffalo really wants it and sweetens the pot for the Islanders to give up the 4th(say Buffalo offers the Islanders their 1st and 2nd rounders back next season)

Look at it this way if I gave you an option I will either give you

a) $100(the 4th pick this year)

or

b) %5 chance at $1000(top 2 picks)
10% chance at $125(picks 3-4)
50% chance at $95(picks 5-10)
20% chance at $40(picks 11-14)
10% chance at $20(picks 15-20)
5% chance at $1(over 20)

Do you take that guaranteed 100 or do you gamble for 1000 or the lesser 125, with a %50 chance of taking a very small hit


Last edited by boredmale: 03-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
  #13
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,902
vCash: 1117
No to Kapanen that high. Would much rather have Perlini, Ritchie, or Nylander. And make our second pick Karlsson

__________________
Destiny Hype
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:42 PM
  #14
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
A top 4 pick in this years draft is like picking maybe 4-10th in next year's draft. When you factor in you get a year extra out of a player(ie one before he matures) chances are giving up this year's pick is almost a lateral move. Now their is the chance they can pick top 2, but they also taking a chance they make the playoffs and look foolish that way getting a lesser pick next year.

Beyond that giving up the 4th overall gives a terrible message to fans and players. So I can't see them giving up the 4th pick unless somehow Buffalo really wants it and sweetens the pot for the Islanders to give up the 4th(say Buffalo offers the Islanders their 1st and 2nd rounders back next season)

Look at it this way if I gave you an option I will either give you

a) $100(the 4th pick this year)

or

b) %5 chance at $1000(top 2 picks)
10% chance at $125(picks 3-4)
50% chance at $95(picks 5-10)
20% chance at $40(picks 11-14)
10% chance at $20(picks 15-20)
5% chance at $1(over 20)

Do you take that guaranteed 100 or do you gamble for 1000 or the lesser 125, with a %50 chance of taking a very small hit
It's interesting question you've raised.

But I don't agree with the numbers though. In your first paragraph you said 4th overall pick would be the same as a pick between 4th-10th next year(2015) which is subjective, But I happen to believe the top end of that would be around 7th overall then down to 10th or 11th, But it is still early and based on projection. I think if you adjust the dollar amount on options B, and C. specifically then your pretty much bang on.

A little nit picky I know, And I get what your trying to say with the optics from a fan perspective; But if I was an Islander fan I would surrender the 1st this year, Just because I feel that the 2015 draft seems like one of those years not unlike 2008 or even 2003.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
  #15
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
No to Kapanen that high. Would much rather have Perlini, Ritchie, or Nylander. And make our second pick Karlsson
Oh c'mon.

You guys good with Finns.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:09 PM
  #16
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,902
vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Oh c'mon.

You guys good with Finns.
We do but he's also undersized and not very clearly better than the guys I named.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:16 PM
  #17
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
It's interesting question you've raised.

But I don't agree with the numbers though. In your first paragraph you said 4th overall pick would be the same as a pick between 4th-10th next year(2015) which is subjective, But I happen to believe the top end of that would be around 7th overall then down to 10th or 11th, But it is still early and based on projection. I think if you adjust the dollar amount on options B, and C. specifically then your pretty much bang on.

A little nit picky I know, And I get what your trying to say with the optics from a fan perspective; But if I was an Islander fan I would surrender the 1st this year, Just because I feel that the 2015 draft seems like one of those years not unlike 2008 or even 2003.
For the sake of argument let's say the 4th pick in 2014 will field you the same caliber of player as the 7th pick in 2015, you have to factor in the fact the 2014 player is 1 year closer to paying off then the 2015 player so that adds more value to the 2014 pick. Once you add that extra value on the pick due to return on asset, that 4th picks might be worth the 4-6th pick next year.

Since the first lockout the Islanders have picked

7,15,5,1,5,5,4,15,?

So the idea that they are guaranteed a top 2 or 3 pick is foolish(infact they made the playoffs more then they have finished bottom 3 during this period of 9 years)

Now given that the most likely scenario is the Islanders will finish in a spot that is a lateral move give or take a little, with more of a shot of getting a better pick then a worse pick by using the 4th this year, it would be stupid not to take the sure bet(ie a very good player in the top 5)

Now if the Islanders fall out of the top 5 then I start thinking well maybe we give up the pick(6th pick = roughly an 11th next year), but even then I don't think management would share my opinion since it sends a terrible message to fans

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
  #18
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For the sake of argument let's say the 4th pick in 2014 will field you the same caliber of player as the 7th pick in 2015, you have to factor in the fact the 2014 player is 1 year closer to paying off then the 2015 player so that adds more value to the 2014 pick. Once you add that extra value on the pick due to return on asset, that 4th picks might be worth the 4-6th pick next year.

Since the first lockout the Islanders have picked

7,15,5,1,5,5,4,15,?

So the idea that they are guaranteed a top 2 or 3 pick is foolish(infact they made the playoffs more then they have finished bottom 3 during this period of 9 years)

Now given that the most likely scenario is the Islanders will finish in a spot that is a lateral move give or take a little, with more of a shot of getting a better pick then a worse pick by using the 4th this year, it would be stupid not to take the sure bet(ie a very good player in the top 5)

Now if the Islanders fall out of the top 5 then I start thinking well maybe we give up the pick(6th pick = roughly an 11th next year), but even then I don't think management would share my opinion since it sends a terrible message to fans
I like I said, It's a interesting topic to discuss and I'm sure it's going on the NYI war room right now. It all really depends on if they can improve the team to the point of pushing for a playoff spot for next year. If they think they can, Then keep it.

I just made list based on what I heard from Snow in an interview he did on Toronto radio(Fan 590) after the deadline where he said he thought it wasn't a good draft. And also my own opinion you don't even want to flirt with the possibly of sending McDavid or Eichel to Buffalo.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:37 PM
  #19
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
We do but he's also undersized and not very clearly better than the guys I named.
He's 6ft(183 cm) tall, At 17 years old. Hardly undersized IMO.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 06:36 PM
  #20
N Ireland Nets Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
It's interesting question you've raised.

But I don't agree with the numbers though. In your first paragraph you said 4th overall pick would be the same as a pick between 4th-10th next year(2015) which is subjective, But I happen to believe the top end of that would be around 7th overall then down to 10th or 11th, But it is still early and based on projection. I think if you adjust the dollar amount on options B, and C. specifically then your pretty much bang on.

A little nit picky I know, And I get what your trying to say with the optics from a fan perspective; But if I was an Islander fan I would surrender the 1st this year, Just because I feel that the 2015 draft seems like one of those years not unlike 2008 or even 2003.
Snow has already said if we have a top 6 or 7 pick he will keep it.

N Ireland Nets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
  #21
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,902
vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
He's 6ft(183 cm) tall, At 17 years old. Hardly undersized IMO.
Hmm. I read somewhere else he was like 5'10 160 some pounds...my fault.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
  #22
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Ireland Nets Fan View Post
Snow has already said if we have a top 6 or 7 pick he will keep it.
I'm just going off what I heard. But I do hope for the Islander fans they what ever result they want on this. There's been quite a load BS to deal with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Hmm. I read somewhere else he was like 5'10 160 some pounds...my fault.
Hey it's all good.

Is HockeyDB your main source for info?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:41 PM
  #23
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I am curious of why you think the Islanders would give Buffalo the 4th overall?
And if they did give us the 4th overall, why would we take Draisaitl over Reinhart?

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
  #24
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus
 
TheFirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yoshinoyama, Nara
Country: Japan
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
I seriously doubt that the Wings pick Fleury over both Barbashev and McCann, the need for top 6 centers in the organization is simply too great to ignore.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  #25
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CBJ All The Way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Love it for CBJ

__________________
http://i.imgur.com/r1Wk0lv.png
CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.