HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Don't You All See What a Fool Sather Is?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2005, 08:45 PM
  #1
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Why Don't You All See What a Fool Sather Is?

While big names fly all over the league Ranger fans watch as Sather the Incompetent picks up Ward, Niemenen, etc. The excuse given in some places is wait until an even better bunch is available next year. Does this mean that we have written off yet another year?

The other laughable notion is that we have a bunch of kids ready to blossom in the NHL. While I haven't seen a lot of them, I have seen most of the ones at Hartford last year, and I don't see one can't miss player.

This team will be possibly more embarrasing than they have been since Sather took over, assuming that is even possible.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
  #2
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
We all know he's a fool...

but not signing big names does not make him foolish, especially since this team is going nowhere and the Rangers need to be in position to sign under 30 year old UFAs in the next couple years while they bring-along youth. I would've been fine with him signing multiple Strakas to 1 year contracts.

Fletch is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
  #3
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,708
vCash: 500
Bwwwahahahaa, Sather is damned if he does, damned if doesn't.

Maybe he's learned a lesson; going after a bunch of expensive FA's over the years doesn't necessarily make a team a playoff contender.

guinness is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 08:56 PM
  #4
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I think it remains to be seen if Sather is a fool. Under a salary cap, asset management is key. If we sign 10 players to 1-year deals, even if only one or two are traded at the deadline (and likely, more will be, as salary toward cap is cumulative - only those games played for the new team are counted toward the new team's budget for the year, allowing teams to load up for the playoffs) this means gaining assets for nothing.

As someone said above, we could fill the team with Strakas for 1 year and come out on top. If Sather trades just one or two, and still comes out with $10M+ under the cap next year, and is able to sign a player like Lecavalier, this is still great asset management.

Khelvan is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
  #5
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
1 While big names fly all over the league Ranger fans watch as Sather the Incompetent picks up Ward, Niemenen, etc. 2 The excuse given in some places is wait until an even better bunch is available next year. 3 Does this mean that we have written off yet another year?
Of course he's a fool but for none of the reasons you're crying about.

1. Yes. Because that's what GMs running a rebuilding do. Avoiding the big name, big time free agents is one of the few things Sather has done right in his tenure.

2. That's hardly an excuse. It's a fact but more to the point, the "excuse" for not signing big names isn't to wait. It's to focus on something other than winning, like developing players.

3. The season's hardly "written off." More kids will be given more ice than on any Ranger team in the last decade or more. Older players will be moved at the deadline to acquire even more young assets. The team should end up with a draft pick from #1 - #5 in next year's draft.

That's hardly a writeoff season. In fact it's a highly successful one.

dedalus is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
While big names fly all over the league Ranger fans watch as Sather the Incompetent picks up Ward, Niemenen, etc. The excuse given in some places is wait until an even better bunch is available next year. Does this mean that we have written off yet another year?

The other laughable notion is that we have a bunch of kids ready to blossom in the NHL. While I haven't seen a lot of them, I have seen most of the ones at Hartford last year, and I don't see one can't miss player.

This team will be possibly more embarrasing than they have been since Sather took over, assuming that is even possible.
Thank God you're hear to tell us this.

Again, read the board.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:14 PM
  #7
Skroob*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Another thing i dont think anyone is touching on, is all these players in this class are being locked into multi-year deals, which means those teams wont be in the hunt (most likely) for next years crop of UFAs. It could be a buyers market for NY next summer if there are more players selling their services than teams shopping.

Skroob* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:15 PM
  #8
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
I thought everyone wanted him to rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
While big names fly all over the league Ranger fans watch as Sather the Incompetent picks up Ward, Niemenen, etc. The excuse given in some places is wait until an even better bunch is available next year. Does this mean that we have written off yet another year?

The other laughable notion is that we have a bunch of kids ready to blossom in the NHL. While I haven't seen a lot of them, I have seen most of the ones at Hartford last year, and I don't see one can't miss player.

This team will be possibly more embarrasing than they have been since Sather took over, assuming that is even possible.
Expalin how the landscape has changed? This is a little blip. Sure there are some fine, older UFA's out there. Which under 30 UFA should he have signed? You also realize that by signing the type of players he has, which by the way are euros who all played in the Czech league that plays with no center ice line, that there may actually have been some method.

I've to one conclusion though. You are one of many ranger fans who are OLD UFA JUNKIES! If you don't get your big name fix you are miserable and as soon as the fix wears off you blame the dealer for giving you what you want! I thought all of you guys OD'd!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:18 PM
  #9
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Beside being right on the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Another thing i dont think anyone is touching on, is all these players in this class are being locked into multi-year deals, which means those teams wont be in the hunt (most likely) for next years crop of UFAs. It could be a buyers market for NY next summer if there are more players selling their services than teams shopping.
what is even more surprising is that they are going to older UFA's. Can't blame the rangers again for this one. Goes to show that people were going to sign people regardless of whether the rangers were in or out of the market.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:19 PM
  #10
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
3. The season's hardly "written off." More kids will be given more ice than on any Ranger team in the last decade or more. Older players will be moved at the deadline to acquire even more young assets. The team should end up with a draft pick from #1 - #5 in next year's draft.

That's hardly a writeoff season. In fact it's a highly successful one.
Your reasoning is that coming in 25th out of 30 teams isn't writing off a season. By your definition a season cannot be wasted. What would you consider a write off season?

Just because a team is young does not mean it is good or has potential. Young is good. Talented is much better.

By the way, I gather from the moderator's comment that we should express no negative thoughts about the Rangers. Is that true?

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:22 PM
  #11
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
dedalus, u have taken the Sather cool aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Of course he's a fool but for none of the reasons you're crying about.

1. Yes. Because that's what GMs running a rebuilding do. Avoiding the big name, big time free agents is one of the few things Sather has done right in his tenure.

2. That's hardly an excuse. It's a fact but more to the point, the "excuse" for not signing big names isn't to wait. It's to focus on something other than winning, like developing players.

3. The season's hardly "written off." More kids will be given more ice than on any Ranger team in the last decade or more. Older players will be moved at the deadline to acquire even more young assets. The team should end up with a draft pick from #1 - #5 in next year's draft.

That's hardly a writeoff season. In fact it's a highly successful one.
as long as I know that it was you who took it from my house I wouldn't call the cops!

Excellent points. I can't believe the number of NYR fans bemoaning the fact taht we haven't jumped back in like we use to do! Those kind of posts underscore why mgmt of the NYR's always insist that the fans won't sit for a real rebuild. I actually think Sather is sticking to his guns now just to piss off that group of fans!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
  #12
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Your reasoning is that coming in 25th out of 30 teams isn't writing off a season. By your definition a season cannot be wasted. What would you consider a write off season?
When you're rebuilding? A writeoff season is one in which you acquire the likes of Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, and Brian Leetch, deny kids ice time so that these stars can eat it up and try to get the 8th seed where you'll be eliminated in the first round.

Then you get to draft - for your rebuild - at #12-15.

That's a wasted season for this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Just because a team is young does not mean it is good or has potential.
Who wrote either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
I gather from the moderator's comment that we should express no negative thoughts about the Rangers. Is that true?
No. He's merely telling you that you're writing in ignorance. Had you been here anytime in the last 4 years you would have seen Sather been flayed alive.

In short, he's not telling you to avoid being negative. He's merely saying you're a Johnny-come-lately who's adding little of real merit to the conversation.

dedalus is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:26 PM
  #13
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Expalin how the landscape has changed? This is a little blip. Sure there are some fine, older UFA's out there. Which under 30 UFA should he have signed? You also realize that by signing the type of players he has, which by the way are euros who all played in the Czech league that plays with no center ice line, that there may actually have been some method.

I've to one conclusion though. You are one of many ranger fans who are OLD UFA JUNKIES! If you don't get your big name fix you are miserable and as soon as the fix wears off you blame the dealer for giving you what you want! I thought all of you guys OD'd!
Pronger might be a tad better than Ward, but that is just one person's opinion.

Look, if you admit that Sather did an extremely poor job before when he had more resources than anyone else, why would you think he would perform better on equal ground?

I want to know why Tom Poti, in today's market, should be signed for over 2 million dollars.

Another thing to consider: Over the last 17 or so years no GM in the league has done worse at the drafting table.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:26 PM
  #14
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
as long as I know that it was you who took it from my house I wouldn't call the cops!
Ah, ah, aaah, AR! Watch the first five words of my post! They were written just for you.

dedalus is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:27 PM
  #15
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Anytime that a season provides the opportunity for

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Your reasoning is that coming in 25th out of 30 teams isn't writing off a season. By your definition a season cannot be wasted. What would you consider a write off season?

Just because a team is young does not mean it is good or has potential. Young is good. Talented is much better.

By the way, I gather from the moderator's comment that we should express no negative thoughts about the Rangers. Is that true?
your young players to earn their stripes in the NHL is not a wasted season. WE ARE REBUILDING. Repeat over and over until after this season is over. remain calm and loosen your grip on yourself! After every game repeat WE ARE REBUILDING. After every viewing of Ranger highlights on MSG Sportsdesk or ESPN repeat WE ARE REBUILDING.

If this all fails, go into a trance and imagine the Rangers win the stanley cup and we hold the victory parade in a parking lot! That should help for a while!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:31 PM
  #16
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
No. He's merely telling you that you're writing in ignorance. Had you been here anytime in the last 4 years you would have seen Sather been flayed alive.

In short, he's not telling you to avoid being negative. He's merely saying you're a Johnny-come-lately who's adding little of real merit to the conversation.
So because you were here before me I can no longer state negative things about Sather?

Personal attacks against someone who disagrees with you would seem to be far more objectionable than what I have written here.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:32 PM
  #17
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
I'll answer that by saying that he's being underpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Pronger might be a tad better than Ward, but that is just one person's opinion.

Look, if you admit that Sather did an extremely poor job before when he had more resources than anyone else, why would you think he would perform better on equal ground?

I want to know why Tom Poti, in today's market, should be signed for over 2 million dollars.

Another thing to consider: Over the last 17 or so years no GM in the league has done worse at the drafting table.
because Malakhov is getting $3.7M for one year from the devils! What does a 30 year old dmen bring to us? It is going to take 2-3 years at which time Pronger is now pushing 34 and he's eaten up a big salary slot that would preclude us grom signing some young stud forward.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
  #18
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
because Malakhov is getting $3.7M for one year from the devils! What does a 30 year old dmen bring to us? It is going to take 2-3 years at which time Pronger is now pushing 34 and he's eaten up a big salary slot that would preclude us grom signing some young stud forward.
The Devils getting fleeced by Malakhov is no reason for us to have spent the league minimum on Poti, let alone what we gave him.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:39 PM
  #19
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner
 
B.D. Gallof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smithtown, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
While big names fly all over the league Ranger fans watch as Sather the Incompetent picks up Ward, Niemenen, etc. The excuse given in some places is wait until an even better bunch is available next year. Does this mean that we have written off yet another year?

The other laughable notion is that we have a bunch of kids ready to blossom in the NHL. While I haven't seen a lot of them, I have seen most of the ones at Hartford last year, and I don't see one can't miss player.

This team will be possibly more embarrasing than they have been since Sather took over, assuming that is even possible.

This Isles fan thinks you are completely offbase. Ranger fans have been screaming for rebuidling (my brothers included). 7 years of these type of mistakes...doing what you clearly prefer here..didn't show you enough. Money buys nothing. Rangers need to stick to their guns..b/c you are dead wrong. They have talent there..and talent on their team this year. Under the magnifying glass of your and impatient fans expectations, they could wilt...but sometimes you have to bite a bullet. You are 100% correct on one thing...you may not even sniff the playoffs. But with some valuablre pieces, some commodities dealt, and several fantastic names available next year....you will see those playoffs soon enough. Patience grasshopper. There is much to learn. Look for the silver linings...b/c there will be a few this year from the Rangers.

B.D. Gallof is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:41 PM
  #20
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
So because you were here before me I can no longer state negative things about Sather?

Personal attacks against someone who disagrees with you would seem to be far more objectionable than what I have written here.
No one is telling you not to have your own opinion. No one is telling you it can't be negative. What I am telling you is maybe you should read other peoples opinions over the last 4 years before starting a thread that misguidedly states "Why Don't You All See What a Fool Sather is?"

We have. And we have said it long before you got here. So in that case, Fletch is right, you really have not stated anything groundbreaking.

Having an opinion is fine. Disagreeing is great. Generalizing the entire board and the people who read and post here, however, is not.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
  #21
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 641
Rangers Fans Ignorance

Sather did a great job getting very hard-working players for cheap...and for 1 year deals so he can let them go next year...and you guys want to *****???

I guess a lot of y ou are really LIKE SATHER OF 7 YEARS AGO

Evgeny Oliker is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 09:58 PM
  #22
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
No one is telling you not to have your own opinion. No one is telling you it can't be negative. What I am telling you is maybe you should read other peoples opinions over the last 4 years before starting a thread that misguidedly states "Why Don't You All See What a Fool Sather is?"

We have. And we have said it long before you got here. So in that case, Fletch is right, you really have not stated anything groundbreaking.

Having an opinion is fine. Disagreeing is great. Generalizing the entire board and the people who read and post here, however, is not.
What is groundbreaking about praising the strategy of Sather? This isn't about groundbreaking. It's merely expressing my opinion.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 10:00 PM
  #23
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
This Isles fan thinks you are completely offbase. Ranger fans have been screaming for rebuidling (my brothers included). 7 years of these type of mistakes...doing what you clearly prefer here..didn't show you enough. Money buys nothing. Rangers need to stick to their guns..b/c you are dead wrong. They have talent there..and talent on their team this year. Under the magnifying glass of your and impatient fans expectations, they could wilt...but sometimes you have to bite a bullet. You are 100% correct on one thing...you may not even sniff the playoffs. But with some valuablre pieces, some commodities dealt, and several fantastic names available next year....you will see those playoffs soon enough. Patience grasshopper. There is much to learn. Look for the silver linings...b/c there will be a few this year from the Rangers.
I too am for rebuilding. I just feel that the fellow doing the rebuilding is incapable of doing it.

Who is the talent that you are referring to? Besides Tyutin I see no guaranteed NHL quality players.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
  #24
GraveyTrain09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
i will second that thought

GraveyTrain09 is offline  
Old
08-04-2005, 10:07 PM
  #25
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
What is groundbreaking about praising the strategy of Sather? This isn't about groundbreaking. It's merely expressing my opinion.
You're not getting it.

And I'm saying that you are acting like your opinion is this ephinany. Stick around and you will realize the majority of posters on this board wouldn't nor have any interest in praising Sather.

I have no problem with your opinion. In some ways, I agree. What I have a problem is you coming to the board and in your first two posts generalizing the entire board when what you are saying is by no means a new though around here.

Instead of ranting, why don't you read the board and realize that a lot of people feel the same you do (more or less) but they don't lecture the board. It makes for a horrible first impression.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 08-04-2005 at 10:24 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.