Frederik Andersen

Old
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoEhlers View Post
I dont believe stats always paints the true picture.
So Andersen isn't as good as the stats say, huh?

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

He is VERY ginger. On that play he lost his mask, my TV temporarily stopped working from the blinding red spot on the screen ...

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:38 AM
NikoEhlers
Let's Go Nikolaj!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
So Andersen isn't as good as the stats say, huh?
Hes even better

NikoEhlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:39 AM
defer

I think he's the real deal.

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:55 AM
imbatman

vCash: 1025
sucks hiller had to go on that streak. Counting down the days until we part ways.

imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
sucks hiller had to go on that streak. Counting down the days until we part ways.
Hiller was as useless as a orange safety cone tonight...but you took it alittle too far there buddy.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:23 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

It's been impressive watching him play. I'm very excited to see us go with Andersen/Fasth next year. We're going to save a lot of money. Let's hope BM can go out and get us an impact defenseman with that money.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Paul4587

So going with Andersen and Fasth doesn't worry you at all? The list of goalies who flame out after hot starts in the NHL is much longer than the list of goalies who maintain their level of play.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Where were all of you when Hiller was amazing recently? You guys are reaching Dirk status where you only post about it when it suits your perfectly.

I have a serious concern going with Andersen and Fasth going in to next season. The only thing that either have proven, is that Fasth is made of glass. Contending teams, or teams that intend on contending, rarely go in to seasons with two unproven net minders. Reminds me of the recent Capitals' fiasco(just an example) where they kept/keep thinking they've found their next netbminder based on a 20-30 game sample size.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:38 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
So going with Andersen and Fasth doesn't worry you at all? The list of goalies who flame out after hot starts in the NHL is much longer than the list of goalies who maintain their level of play.
No it really doesn't worry me at all. I'm more confident in Andersen than Hiller right now. I see no reason to throw a bunch of money at Hiller when we have two NHL capable goalies under contract. Hiller owes this team nothing. This is his chance to cash in. He's going to get paid (most likely by an Edmonton type team). Good for him. It's not like this is some fluke stretch by Andersen. His numbers in every league he's played in show that he's simply playing to his ability.

As for Fasth, yes the injuries suck. But I think it's important to remember that next year is a contract year for him. He will have extra motivation to stay healthy and have a big year. Quite frankly, I see goaltending as a strength next year. Call me delusional if you want but my gut tells me that Andersen is close enough to being completely ready that giving Hiller a multi-year contract wouldn't be the smartest investment.

Btw, if we keep Hiller, one of Andersen/Fasth has to move (obviously). Fasth's value is at an all time low, and I don't see BM giving up on a guy like Andersen who has so much potential. I really do believe that management has already committed to Hiller this year and then are going to kindly decline to offer him a contract in the offseason. I have nothing to base this off of obviously. Just my gut. Murray wouldn't have signed Fasth to a 2 year deal so quickly last year if he was going to keep Hiller past this year.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:44 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Where were all of you when Hiller was amazing recently? You guys are reaching Dirk status where you only post about it when it suits your perfectly.

I have a serious concern going with Andersen and Fasth going in to next season. The only thing that either have proven, is that Fasth is made of glass. Contending teams, or teams that intend on contending, rarely go in to seasons with two unproven net minders. Reminds me of the recent Capitals' fiasco(just an example) where they kept/keep thinking they've found their next netbminder based on a 20-30 game sample size.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Now that we're looking like a legit contender it could be a huge mistake going into next season with an unproven tandem, half of which can't stay healthy.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I couldn't agree more with this post. Now that we're looking like a legit contender it could be a huge mistake going into next season with an unproven tandem, half of which can't stay healthy.
I agree 100%. They need a starter. The number of people who think that a 10 game sample size defines a career is more than a little disappointing.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:08 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I agree 100%. They need a starter. The number of people who think that a 10 game sample size defines a career is more than a little disappointing.
Huh? Who stated it "defines a career"? I simply choose to believe that the smart move is to not re-sign an average starting goalie for north of $5M (and multiple years) when we have two goalies that are capable of posting similar or even better numbers. This paranoia that the season is going to instantly come to an end once we remove Hiller's .910-.915 sv% is kind of ridiculous in my opinion (those are Hiller's numbers since vertigo). I'm willing to bet Andersen puts up similar numbers (if not better) in a full season...for literally a fraction of the price. If Fasth gets injured, we also have Gibson in the minors who is going to get some NHL duty at some point. You can always sign a good backup for cheap (someone like Scrivens) if Fasth's injury concern is really that big of a question mark heading into next season.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:24 AM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post

First of all, i completely agree with you.

But there isn`t always only fiasco`s with this, look at Niemi in Chicago 09/10 season
Like i said, i agree with you and i`m also not comfortable having only Andersen and Fasth for next season, i think we have to have an experienced goalie here for some years first. Will be interesting situation for sure.
Andersen looks promising but he don`t have the experience to carry a team in the NHL yet. Fasth is experienced and have some solid achievements in the past, but his 5 hole is even bigger now with reduced pads and his injuries are very worrying.

Do we have to resign Hiller? Idk yet, he also have some flaws, but he is no doubt better option for us then Fasth/Andersen at this point

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Huh? Who stated it "defines a career"? I simply choose to believe that the smart move is to not re-sign an average starting goalie for north of $5M (and multiple years) when we have two goalies that are capable of posting similar or even better numbers. This paranoia that the season is going to instantly come to an end once we remove Hiller's .910-.915 sv% is kind of ridiculous in my opinion (those are Hiller's numbers since vertigo). I'm willing to bet Andersen puts up similar numbers (if not better) in a full season...for literally a fraction of the price. If Fasth gets injured, we also have Gibson in the minors who is going to get some NHL duty at some point. You can always sign a good backup for cheap (someone like Scrivens) if Fasth's injury concern is really that big of a question mark heading into next season.
We have no such thing. We have a rookie we hope can do that, and a guy who has spent most of the last calendar year too injured to play. Neither of them has played at the workload of an NHL starter, and that is a much bigger deal than people are pretending. People also seem to forget that Andersen was starting to look a bit shaky when Hiller recovered his form. This is exactly what I meant - they both have about 10 games of superior play and people expect that they'll be able to do that as starters for their entire career. As Paul said, there are far more goalies who started that promisingly and flamed out than became legitimate NHL players, let alone starters.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

When it comes to goaltenders it's just not easy evaluating anything. Unfortunately you can't play them 2-3 seasons on a bottom pairing or 4th line to shelter them and hope they earn their way up. They either play 60 minutes or none.

While nobody's game is without flaws, Andersen has looked very impressive in his time here. I might say he has played his position as well as Hampus has played his. He plays angles well, controls rebounds well, stick handles extremely well, and has made few mistakes. I'm sure if he plays enough he will have some slumps like everybody does. Without making any rash predictions of his future career, I wouldn't be that uncomfortable giving him major playing time next year. Unless we push hard to go after a real upgrade like Miller (this summer) I don't feel playing Andersen over some weak FA pickup is hurting the team. Sure, he could bomb out (even though his play so far doesn't look like it) but how far can we logically get with a (non Miller) FA goaltender instead?

The fact of the matter is, we are in a tough spot with goaltenders because we don't have the luxury of having a top goaltender phase out while Andersen and/or Gibson phase in. Unless we pursue Miller in the summer, we are going to be in a tough spot in goal no matter what we do. I think we could do worse than Freddie and Viktor if it comes down to it.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:04 AM
Backpack

This team just doesn't succeed in the playoffs riding Hiller. To me, that's the bottom line.

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:18 AM
NikoEhlers
Let's Go Nikolaj!!!

If you don't give Andersen a chance, he is never gonna develop into that elite goaltender that I think he has a potential to be! You guys need not worry about Frederik stepping up. He did as well as Lundqvist at Frölunda, he rocked the league at age 20-21. Thats rare. And I apoligize if I'm biased, I'm just so happy to see a dane doing good for my Ducks, lol!

Last edited by NikoEhlers: 01-22-2014 at 03:37 AM.
NikoEhlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:29 AM
mighty Stanley Duck

Hiller has one of the best records currently in NHL, awesome win-lose ratio, but still for a guy with that ratio i expect lower GAA stat...our potent offense def helps him when he is not in his game.

mighty Stanley Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:36 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
As for Fasth, yes the injuries suck. But I think it's important to remember that next year is a contract year for him. He will have extra motivation to stay healthy and have a big year.
I think it's very hard to motivate yourself to stay healthy. That's really something you can't control.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoEhlers View Post
If you don't give Andersen a chance, he is never gonna develop into that elite goaltender that I think he has a potential to be! You guys need not worry about Frederik stepping up. He did as well as Lundqvist at Frölunda, he rocked the league at age 20-21. Thats rare. And I apoligize if I'm biased, I'm just so happy to see a dane doing good for my Ducks, lol!
Actually he beat every record that Lundquist set at his time. Freddy hasn't plunged anywhere he has been playing, so why would that start now?

Here is a fun clip about him from his time in SHL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLgorhdt84k

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
Actually he beat every record that Lundquist set at his time. Freddy hasn't plunged anywhere he has been playing, so why would that start now?

Here is a fun clip about him from his time in SHL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLgorhdt84k
That one guy is a serious competition for Bruce in swearing

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
InfernalDark*

InfernalDark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 04:59 PM
talenttracer

Nahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
I think it's very hard to motivate yourself to stay healthy. That's really something you can't control.
If yu prepare yourself in the right way during the offseason, and continue to take care of yourself. It is less likely you will get an injury.

I guess that what he means.

talenttracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Teemu Salami
Empty Ketchup Bottle

vCash: 300
Freddy's mask is better than Hiller's. A lot more to it then his.

Teemu Salami is offline   Reply With Quote