HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Correct Stick Lie

Old
05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
the bthom bomber

vCash: 500
Correct Stick Lie

I'm kind of a hockey noob, so I need some help here guys. I get alot of wear on the heel of my stick, not too much on the toe. Through my research, I know I'm using the wrong lie. I use a 5.5 Easton, should I go down to a 5 or a 4? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

the bthom bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:58 PM
SouthpawTRK

If you like the playing length of your stick and you have wear on the heel of your blade, then yes you may want to try a lower lie. If you feel that your stick is too long, then you could cut the stick down and it would cause the blade to lie flatter on the ice (it technically does not change the lie, which is a static measurement).

However, you may have some excessive wear on the heel of your blade if you skate with the blade on the ice a fair amount of the time.

Out of curiosity, what Easton curve are you using? Some curves will have the same lie, but will have more/less rocker; which may appear that the lie is higher.

You may want to try a 2 piece set up; that way you can experiment with different curves without having to buy a new stick every time.

Hopefully this helps

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:03 PM
the bthom bomber

I'm using the Iginla curve, with my stick cut down an inch. So that helped a bit, but I still have mostly heel wear. I like to have the puck a little further in front of me, so I'll def take your advice and go for a lower lie. Thanks

the bthom bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:17 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

This guy celebrates his assists, he's a total bender. The only reason he likes the puck a little further in front of him is because he's constantly trying to catch up to it.

If his heel is wearing down, it's because he's dragging his stick to the rink while walking in from the parking lot. There's no way he's getting shots off in a game.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I use a pretty short stick for my height, and I still have heel wear. I dont really get it, and have pretty much given up trying to figure out whats the "right" lie for me. The closest used blade I have next to me is a Mission Z-2 Leopold2. Think its a 5.5.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Wear on the blade doesn't matter... so long as you're stick handling and catching passes well. I noticed a lot of heel wear on my Drury blades, because I tend to dribble near the heel all the time, it does not mean my lie is wrong.

Conversely, if your tape wear appears even but you're having problems controlling the puck (and you know what you're doing), it may be a lie issue and you just don't know it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
This guy celebrates his assists, he's a total bender. The only reason he likes the puck a little further in front of him is because he's constantly trying to catch up to it.

If his heel is wearing down, it's because he's dragging his stick to the rink while walking in from the parking lot. There's no way he's getting shots off in a game.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:03 AM
ponder

A few points:

1) The proper lie for you is one where your blade is fairly flat on the ice when shooting and passing. In game a lot of people will get heel wear even with the right lie simply because they skate around with one hand on the stick, with the stick way out front, which causes heel wear. If during stick and puck sessions (where you're spending the whole time puck handling and shooting) you get heel wear, then you likely have too high of a lie, but heel wear from games is not necessarily indicating too high of a lie. When I use the proper lie for me I get wear in the middle of my blade during stick and pucks when I'm handling the puck a lot, but more wear near the heel during actually games when I don't handle the puck nearly as much

2) The Easton Iginla is listed as a 5.5 lie, but because it has fairly little rocker it IMO plays like a higher lie. For example, with the same stick length I get a tonne of heel wear with an Easton Iginla, it's too high of a lie for me, but I get good mid blade stick wear (and a better shot) with a Bauer P88, which is also listed as a 5.5 lie, but seems a bit lower to me, and has more of a rocker. And different companies measure the lie as the angle between different parts of the blade, Warrior lies especially are not very comparable with Easton/Bauer lies (as a rule of thumb people will tell you that a Warrior lie 4 is roughly equal to an Easton 4.75, a Warrior lie 5 is roughly an Easton 5.75, etc., but it really depends on the specific curve). The best way to tell whether a new stick/curve has the right lie for you is to simply hold it side by side with a stick that you know has your preferred lie

3) Where does your stick come up to when your hold it vertically in front of you in skates? Collar bone, adam's apple, chin, lips, nose, eyes?

Last edited by ponder: 05-21-2011 at 12:08 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
A few points:

1) The proper lie for you is one where your blade is fairly flat on the ice when shooting and passing. In game a lot of people will get heel wear even with the right lie simply because they skate around with one hand on the stick, with the stick way out front, which causes heel wear. If during stick and puck sessions (where you're spending the whole time puck handling and shooting) you get heel wear, then you likely have too high of a lie, but heel wear from games is not necessarily indicating too high of a lie. When I use the proper lie for me I get wear in the middle of my blade during stick and pucks when I'm handling the puck a lot, but more wear near the heel during actually games when I don't handle the puck nearly as much

2) The Easton Iginla is listed as a 5.5 lie, but because it has fairly little rocker it IMO plays like a higher lie. For example, with the same stick length I get a tonne of heel wear with an Easton Iginla, it's too high of a lie for me, but I get good mid blade stick wear (and a better shot) with a Bauer P88, which is also listed as a 5.5 lie, but seems a bit lower to me, and has more of a rocker. And different companies measure the lie as the angle between different parts of the blade, Warrior lies especially are not very comparable with Easton/Bauer lies (as a rule of thumb people will tell you that a Warrior lie 4 is roughly equal to an Easton 4.75, a Warrior lie 5 is roughly an Easton 5.75, etc., but it really depends on the specific curve). The best way to tell whether a new stick/curve has the right lie for you is to simply hold it side by side with a stick that you know has your preferred lie

3) Where does your stick come up to when your hold it vertically in front of you in skates? Collar bone, adam's apple, chin, lips, nose, eyes?
mine comes up to about my collar bone(to the suprasternal notch).

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
West coast love.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:55 AM
warox

Excessive wear on only the heel? Cut your stick shorter.

warox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Anubis79

Quote:
Originally Posted by warox View Post
Excessive wear on only the heel? Cut your stick shorter.
Holy christ dude get a clue. Why should he cut his stick shorter if it's already a length he prefers. Changing lie is a much better option as it won't alter his shot mechanics the way a cut stick will. Even if it is only an inch it will change the flex and also bring the puck closer to his feet.

OP, I don't think you'll be able to find a retail blade lower than a 5. Warrior blades might be marked 4, but as was said they're closer to a 5 from other brands. I started off with an Easton Sakic curve with a 5.5 lie. Lots of heel wear and pucks squirting under the toe of my blade. Moved down to the Forsberg/Zetterberg and Bauer PM9, 5 lie. Now I have almost perfect even wear, didn't need to alter my stick length at all.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:02 PM
LarryO

I used to get a lot of tape wear at the heel with a PM9. I liked the curve but needed a lower lie so I got a BASE stick with the same curve which they call BM09 but with a 4 lie and everything is perfect now. Tape wear is mostly in the middle of the blade, and puck handling and shooting is a lot better.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:18 AM
masshky

Tape Wear a Reliable Indicator of Proper Lie (or Length)?

What's the consensus as far as tape wear as a reliable indicator of proper lie (and/or length)?

The Warrior Savard pattern comes in three lies...

I bought the "6 lie" blade and had concentrated heel wear.

Going along with the "more heel wear, lower lie or less length" theory, I bought the "5 lie" blade, put it into the same shaft in which I previously had the "6 lie" so that stick length would remain consistent, and again am experiencing more wear at the heel.

I may end up giving the "4 lie" blade a shot or just decrease shaft length at 1/4" intervals, but I wanted to get forum feedback as far as the legitimacy of tape wear as a relevant and reliable indicator of proper lie/length.

masshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshky View Post
What's the consensus as far as tape wear as a reliable indicator of proper lie (and/or length)?

The Warrior Savard pattern comes in three lies...

I bought the "6 lie" blade and had concentrated heel wear.

Going along with the "more heel wear, lower lie or less length" theory, I bought the "5 lie" blade, put it into the same shaft in which I previously had the "6 lie" so that stick length would remain consistent, and again am experiencing more wear at the heel.

I may end up giving the "4 lie" blade a shot or just decrease shaft length at 1/4" intervals, but I wanted to get forum feedback as far as the legitimacy of tape wear as a relevant and reliable indicator of proper lie/length.
It's a good place to start but it's not always totally accurate. Heel wear could be from when you're skating around with your stick on the ice without the puck and without being in a full out stride. If, when you're skating with the puck and shooting, you feel comfortable and dont feel as if you're having to stick handle and shoot with your toe off the ice, then the lie is probably fine.

Keep an eye on how you have your stick when you're "floating" out there and see if you're dragging it along the ice with the heel. Your stance is bound to be different when you're floating (more upright, stretching out for pokechecks/sweeps, stick further away from the body) than when you're in full stride or carrying the puck/shooting.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First I'd double check the blades are the same length, even though they are the same curve, they use different molds, and there may be different models too. You should definitely give the Savard Lie 4 a shot if you like the curve but want a lower lie.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
masshky

Bump..

Seems as though, in golf, there are more definitive, accurate ways to determine proper club lie angle, but with hockey, we rely on the tape wear indicator, which doesn’t always prove true, for some of the reasons mentioned above.

I've been trying to watch my tape wear to see which area of the blade I am wearing more/most and then adjust stick length or lie accordingly. Problem is, even with white tape instead of black, I find it difficult to really see where I'm getting the most wear.

Any other suggestions?

masshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not so much tape wear as it is using different lies and lengths and seeing what works for you. You want to be able to catch and make passes smoothly as well as pass and shoot without flutter on the forehand and backhand.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshky View Post
Bump..

Seems as though, in golf, there are more definitive, accurate ways to determine proper club lie angle, but with hockey, we rely on the tape wear indicator, which doesn’t always prove true, for some of the reasons mentioned above.

I've been trying to watch my tape wear to see which area of the blade I am wearing more/most and then adjust stick length or lie accordingly. Problem is, even with white tape instead of black, I find it difficult to really see where I'm getting the most wear.

Any other suggestions?
If you notice you aren't getting much or any wear on your blade then you have something that already works for you or you are a soft stickhandler, which is good.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 01:12 AM
jazzykat

Lie + Rocker

Sorry for resurrecting, but my questions definitely belong here and I use the old threads to learn about topics.

1. Can someone explain to me how Warrior lies equate to Easton, Bauer, Reebok, and/or CCM (who seem to at least use the same numbers)? E.g. is a Warrior 4 = Easton 5 and Warrior 5= Easton 5.5 ?

3. Why are so many people using lie ~5.5 is it "the optimum" for taking snapshots?

4. What is the downside of going to a less (no rockered blade) from what I determined it was easier to catch passess and blast slapshots. The stick was WAY too stiff to shoot a normal wrist shot so I couldn't properly compare but do wrist shots suffer compared to a rockered blade?

5. Is a lower lie stick bad for offense? I liked the one I tried a lot for defense.

Last edited by jazzykat: 01-20-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: answered question 2
jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Canadiens1958

Skills

^^^ Key is finding the best stick and lie for your evolving skill set, adapting as they improve. Adapting your skills to the stick and lie is not the way togo.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can someone explain to me how Warrior lies equate to Easton, Bauer, Reebok, and/or CCM (who seem to at least use the same numbers)? E.g. is a Warrior 4 = Easton 5 and Warrior 5= Easton 5.5 ?

IMO, Easton tends to be fairly accurate with their lies. I think Reebok and CCM are fairly close.

Bauer has a habit of rounding them up or down rather than using half lies, so a lot of their lies are going to be slightly off.

Warrior has kind of their own lie ratings going on, and I find it's similar to what you say, but of course they aren't exact either.

In reality, most of the "clones" are going to have similar lies. So the PM9 clones are all roughly 5 lie, the P92 clones are all roughly 5.5 lie, etc.

Why are so many people using lie ~5.5 is it "the optimum" for taking snapshots?

People are using the 5.5 lie curves because they like the curves, not because of the lie. Aside from the PM9, most curves are about 5.5 lie.

What is the downside of going to a less (no rockered blade) from what I determined it was easier to catch passess and blast slapshots. The stick was WAY too stiff to shoot a normal wrist shot so I couldn't properly compare but do wrist shots suffer compared to a rockered blade?

If the lie (and stick length) is right for you, a blade with no or low rocker is going to be flatter on the ice when you are using it, which makes it easier to send and receive passes, carry the puck, and take accurate shots.

But, typically you are playing hockey in an imperfect scenario, meaning that the puck might be a little further away or a little closer. That's when a rocker can be useful, as it gives you a little more ice contact.

So people who might like to stickhandle with the puck further away and then pull the puck in tight to shoot might like more rocker than those who want to carry the puck and shoot with the puck at the same distance from the body.

What I like to do is cup the puck slightly in most, if not all situations with the puck. That gives me more contact with the ice even with a rockered blade. But it does require a little more open curve.

Is a lower lie stick bad for offense? I liked the one I tried a lot for defense.

No, it's totally personal preference. It depends on how long you like your stick and where you want to carry the puck and shoot from. But because we have limited options for lies (unless you go custom), you will most likely have to adjust how long you cut your stick to optimize the blade lie and rocker.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
jazzykat

OK, thanks for the replies. Yeah, the flat rockered blade was a Heatley (PM9) and I LOVED it. The stick was longer than normal and felt like sticks I had when I was a kid. Slapshots were easy and catching passes was automatic (With my rockered sakic clone, I need to be cognizant of the openess or closed of the blade).

I just bought lecalvier and thornton(just to get a lower lie) but next time I will buy another brand (maybe warrior) with the PM9.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It might end up being cheaper if you grabbed a couple tapered shafts and then a bunch of tapered blades. You can get Warrior Dolomite shafts for $70 or so on clearance and then blades are something like $50-60 either on clearance or through Base hockey. That's how I experimented with curves without sacrificing quality or going too broke.