HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Open Letter From Chicago Made Punk To Canes Board Posters

Old
01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

vCash: 500
Open Letter From Chicago Made Punk To Canes Board Posters

To HF Canes Posters Everywhere:

We all thought this was going to be the year the Canes board turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn’t happened, and it hurts. It’s frustrating – for all of us. For our readers, for our posters and moderators, and for everyone on this message board who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.

I know this will almost certainly be the third consecutive year since we had a legendary thread. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year three of the rebuild that started when DaveG became a moderator. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other team boards that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn’t make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.

Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there’s no question about that. But we’ve also been more active than any board I can think of in rebuilding our forum from bottom to top by supporting poster development on the Trade Board and NHL Talk, revamping our scouting board, naming a new Team Leader and a new moderator, bringing in new posters like RodTheBawd, rocky7, HankClerval, Novacane, TheOllieC, jstaal and Onetimersniper28. And we’re not done.

But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they’re not coming back. If we’re going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.

I hear a lot from posters about accountability, so let’s be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Amaxing Joni Jokel, Boom Boom Anton, What The Faulk, halleJOKEL, tarheelhockey every poster who uses a Canes avatar and every member of our board. I know Amaxing Joni Jokel is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that’s really unfortunate. AJJ is a big part of our forum, and it’s not just the Canes board that values his knowledge and perspective. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with HFBoards. But when it comes down to it, this is DaveG’s team. He is the Team Leader. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a board that can compete with the best on HFBoards -- year in and year out for years to come.

That’s our vision. We are committed to it -- and we’re confident that we are on the right track.

Our posters have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there’s a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the board in place.

I’ll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Hurricanes colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we’re back on top. We hope you’ll do the same.

We value our posters, we hear you, and we appreciate your support.

Chicago Made Punk

Last edited by Stephen Goalbert: 01-21-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:29 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

#firemuller

#jrandpksatin

edit: #satin

edit edit: #kevnhendsonforharttrophy (hockey trophy for good mvp of teams)

Last edited by halleJOKEL: 01-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Why does this sound like a post season speech by JR?

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Incubation

Send a message via MSN to Incubation
Bravo ragazzo! Ben detto!!!

Incubation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:38 AM
rocky7
#TellitlikeitIsn't

what a lame attempt at damage control Mr. Chicago Made Punk. I'm not buying any of it. did you even write this letter or was it your girl friend? it's just a fluff piece and the next thing you'll be asking us to do is finance your new home.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
WolfCane

JR's trade deadline press conference about the hurricanes

To Carolina Hurricanes Fans Everywhere:

We all thought this was going to be the year the Canes turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn’t happened, and it hurts. It’s frustrating – for all of us. For our fans, for our players, and for everyone in the hurricanes organization who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.

I know this will almost certainly be the fifth consecutive year they we miss the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year one of the retool that started when I let Chad LaRose leave, which was one of my hardest decisions to make. He wanted 8 years 5m, I offered 5 years 3m NTC, but the deal wasn't to be made. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other teams that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn’t make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.

Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there’s no question about that. But we’ve also been more active than any other team I can think of in retooling our team from bottom to top by supporting player development in the AHL and through FA. I brought in new players such as Gerbe (LaRose replacement), Sekera, Hainsey, Komisarek, Malhotra, Dvorak, and I even had to trade away an alternate captain that I should have traded awhile ago, but I love to trade trash for trash too much. And we’re not done.

But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they’re not coming back. If we’re going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.

I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let’s be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, coach Muller, especially Semin, but never Eric Staal. I know Semin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that’s really unfortunate. Semin is a big part of our team, and it’s not just the Canes organization that values his shot and playmaking skills. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with the canes. But when it comes down to it, this is Eric's team. He is the Team Leader. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete with the best in the NHL -- year in and year out for years to come.

That’s our vision. We are committed to it -- and we’re confident that we are on the right track.

Our fans have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there’s a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the team in place.

I’ll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Hurricanes colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we’re back on top. We hope you’ll do the same.

We value our fans, we hear you, and we appreciate your support, but in the end we like our group.

WolfCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

I know we aren't scoring a lot with our posts, but we've got an extremely low percentage compared to our board history. We're just unlucky. Advanced stats says we're still posting well and if we just keep it up we'll start putting up some serious epic posts again.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whipple View Post
I know we aren't scoring a lot with our posts, but we've got an extremely low percentage compared to our board history. We're just unlucky. Advanced stats says we're still posting well and if we just keep it up we'll start putting up some serious epic posts again.
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. AJJ needs to be called out.

He came off a great year, and we are all very disappointed with his production at this time. He's a guy who is paid to put up great posts, and he hasn't done that. He's trying to post in an east-west style when the rest of the board is posting in a north-south style, and he needs to get his act going pretty soon... I do think it's the focus and the will to do well. The same will to do well that he had in his contract year. He is probably the most skilled poster on this board, and when he wants to post, he can do it. He needs to start.

I realize he would have bolted to another board if we hadn't signed him, but he needs to get going, and soon.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. AJJ needs to be called out.

He came off a great year, and we are all very disappointed with his production at this time. He's a guy who is paid to put up great posts, and he hasn't done that. He's trying to post in an east-west style when the rest of the board is posting in a north-south style, and he needs to get his act going pretty soon... I do think it's the focus and the will to do well. The same will to do well that he had in his contract year. He is probably the most skilled poster on this board, and when he wants to post, he can do it. He needs to start.

I realize he would have bolted to another board if we hadn't signed him, but he needs to get going, and soon.
Look, I know AJJ hasn't been posting with the skill we know he can this season, but who on this board has been? It's just unfair to single him out when our "Team Leader" DaveG isn't posting well either, and he's doing his usual taking the first half of the season off again. Where is all the complaining about him? It's all about the country club atmosphere on this board. AJJ is just being scapegoated. Advanced stats.

Advanced stats!

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I just want to point out that the new guys are all posting really well this season after being underutilized on other boards, and credit is due for finding them.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Novacane

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:48 PM
The Faulker 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whipple View Post
Look, I know AJJ hasn't been posting with the skill we know he can this season, but who on this board has been? It's just unfair to single him out when our "Team Leader" DaveG isn't posting well either, and he's doing his usual taking the first half of the season off again. Where is all the complaining about him? It's all about the country club atmosphere on this board. AJJ is just being scapegoated. Advanced stats.

Advanced stats!
Yeah but AJJ has a european style of posting and we all know how lazy and apathetic they can be. Advanced facts.

The Faulker 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Wild Caniac
WildArcanine

#pipebomb

Wild Caniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

The real issue is that Vagrant has been living off the reputation developed in 06 and it's finally come crashing down to Earth. We rarely see him post, and when we do, it's well below average. Meanwhile, we grab FeedDaPuck in the offseason and he's keeping the board afloat with his limited posting.

We should seriously consider moving Vagrant in the offseason, because we've got way too much of the board's posting space invested in the two of them to keep both.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Wild Caniac
WildArcanine

I feel like I contribute somewhat often now as well. I joined this board last January, and have been a poster in both the Wild and Canes forums quite often. I guess I should feel lucky that I do not have a reputation yet for what I do, and don't say.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

I'm waiting for a new adjusted stats thread.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:24 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Misfits View Post
I'm waiting for a new adjusted stats thread.
Semin's advanced stats are pretty good. Maybe Phil Kessel needs his stats adjusted....

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrashAmerican View Post
Semin's advanced stats are pretty good. Maybe Phil Kessel needs his stats adjusted....
Or Ovi.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The real issue is that Vagrant has been living off the reputation developed in 06 and it's finally come crashing down to Earth. We rarely see him post, and when we do, it's well below average. Meanwhile, we grab FeedDaPuck in the offseason and he's keeping the board afloat with his limited posting.

We should seriously consider moving Vagrant in the offseason, because we've got way too much of the board's posting space invested in the two of them to keep both.
Hang on now, Vagrant has been well above HF-average over a large number of posts. We haven't even been to the playoffs recently, which as we all know is his bread and butter. It's way too early to just kick him to the curb, for all we know he bounces back and has another playoff MVP* season.

* Most Valuable Poster

Old
01-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrashAmerican View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Misfits View Post
Or Ovi.
Off topic posting.

Reported.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
Off topic posting.

Reported.
Report ignored.

#leadership

Old
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Report ignored.

#leadership
That may be the greatest thing posted on this board in a long time

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Wild Caniac
WildArcanine

The Authority has spoken.

Old
01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Joe McGrath

Letting a true leader like Guerzy go to the Jets was just inexcusable. His intangibles were through the roof and his compete level second to none. It's amazing that heads didn't roll right then and there.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Hind sight is 20/20, but we should have never traded Guerzy. I know he was injured a lot and many thought he road the coattails of stronger posters in the Jr. Hockey forums, but look at him now. He's exactly the type of power poster that would go great right next to DaveG. Another case of this board's inability to develop posters and giving up on them too soon.

EDIT: Damn. Joe McGrath beat me to it!

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote