HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learn to skate in player skates or goalie skates?

Old
01-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Ruz456
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Learn to skate in player skates or goalie skates?

Hello all, I am 23 and looking to start playing hockey as a goaltender, I've roller bladed as a young kid so on the ice I can move forward and turn pretty comfortably but my stopping and backwards skating need serious work.

Now my question is, because I'd like to play primarily as a goal tender would it be in my best interest to learn how to skate in goalie skates or player skates first and then make the switch?

I do not have a pair of my own and have been renting up until this point, thanks!

Mike

Ruz456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
capebretoncanadien

It would probably suit you to get both.

It's way easier to learn to skate in regular skates.

I like to keep my goalie skates dull for easy sliding. This is not good for general skating.

Goalie skates also have basically no ankle support. Also not good for general skating.

They're also fairly heavy and clumsy due to all the extra protection on them.

My recommendation would be to skate regularly at pickup/outdoor rinks to work on your basic skating/strength.

Switch to the goalie skates when you are in the pipes.

You'll be too much of a mess in net if you're trying to learn goalie/skating at the same time.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Modern goalie skates, especially the newest Bauers and Reebok, have higher ankle support, now, so that's not as big of a deal.

And in modern times, goalies get sharper cuts. No longer do most goalies get dull skates to slide around. Most go with 3/8" up to 1/2" now.

The biggest reason why I would learn to skate in goalie skates over regular skates is that goalie skates are (with few exceptions in the Bauer product line) 4mm width, which is EXTREMELY smooth and stable. I learned to ice skate in goalie skates, and I'm glad I did. When I moved to player skates, with 3mm blades, it was rocky, and you felt every cut and divot in the ice. Goalie skates are like Cadillacs while player skates are like 1982 Ford trucks. Go with the Cadillac and your learning will go much more quickly.

intangible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 05:24 AM
Canadiens1958

Avoid Shortcuts

Avoid shortcuts. LTS programs from youngsters onwards insist on regular skates as they are by far the most suitable for learning all the basics from thru movements. Then convert to goalie skates one the basics are mastered.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:53 AM
scryan

I was in your position and just bought goalie skates. It was fine.

If you have money to buy good pads and and extra set go for it. But I would way rather put the cost of a set of skates into better pads. Its expensive enough without buying a set of skates you wont use again.

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:17 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
I was in your position and just bought goalie skates. It was fine.

If you have money to buy a good mask and and extra set go for it. But I would way rather put the cost of a set of skates into a better mask. Its expensive enough without buying a set of skates you wont use again.
Fixed that for you. Any extra money should go into a mask first and jock second before anything else.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
MattGTI

Stupid Question-
You are 110% sure you want to play goalie, and are going to put all the time and commitment into playing(not too mention $$$$$)?

The learning curve can be extremely difficult. More so because it's a tough position to just get out and practice enough to get comfortable and progress at. You could be a savant and just pick it up.
However, on lower levels, and stick time- it can be a very discouraging position to learn.
I wish you the best, and definitely second the learning to skate, and learn the fundamentals of skating in real skates first. Then applying that to goaltending down the line.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:56 PM
goonx

I agree with some of the comments..

You should learn to skate first before buying the whole set. Masks alone can be $1k and costs as much as a player set of equipment.

That being said... The goalie doesn't really "skate" LoL.

If you're 100% on playing goalie then jump in with both feet. If you're just "trying" hockey. You should figure out what to do first and how much budget you have.

Goalies play for free usually and most dropins are in need of goalies.

However: goalies are the most criticized position. Might be good to take a goalie school course first.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
That being said... The goalie doesn't really "skate" LoL.
I'm a goalie and if you aren't I guarantee that I am twice the skater you are.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:40 AM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Watch out, goalie ego coming through.

Old
01-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Ruz456
Rookie User

I appreciate all the input! I know I definitely want to play net knowing that's it's an extremely tough position, it's January now my plan was to buy a pair of skates and just work on my skating into the summer / fall where I would then buy the masks & pads. When I have my equipment I would take a goalie class so I learn the right way so to speak, unless you guys have a different approach that I should take?

Ruz456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:50 PM
intangible

If you have access to goalie classes, definitely go. If you don't but you have access to stick and pucks, go to those. Any ice is better than no ice. Biggest things will be working on your control (both on skates and sliding) and flexibility, which might take quite a bit of time. Hockey sense comes with experience. Get out there and have some fun!

Old
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
There was a team in the league I used to play in with a goalie that had that attitude. They finally got pissed enough at him that they put together some player equipment and made him skate out for a game. He changed his mind pretty quickly.

Goalies do some things with their skating that skaters don't have to do, true. But the idea that goalies are better skaters than everybody else is flat out untrue. Maybe some are, but most aren't.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:10 PM
MattGTI

Thinking about this some more, you are going to want to get regular skates first.

If you're not even getting goalie equipment for months, and months down the road- just take that time to learn how to skate. Not too mention, if down the road you get the itch to play out(or someone asks you if you want to play forward in another league, or stick time, or whatever), or pond hockey, or even public skating if you ever have kids or something- your going to want a legit pair of skates, and not goalie skates.

If your dropping all that money on goalie gear(trust me, very few get to play goalie on the cheap). Whats an extra 150.00 for an ok pair of regular skates, that you can probably get a lot of use out of in the long run?

As I said in a previous post- I have definitely seen a few guys want to play goalie, shell out a lot of money, and realize its just not for them, or they aren't great at it, or get discouraged because they continuously get lit up. Most still have the itch to play, and end up skating out.

I am not saying you can't or won't succeed. I am just saying its a difficult position to begin with. Let alone starting a bit later at the position than most. I think its great you are giving it a go, I am just playing devils advocate, and sharing some things I have seen.
BTW- you couldn't pay me enough to play goalie, even if all the equipment was top of the line and free. So hats off to you.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Exarz

vCash: 361
You should at least know how to skate decent on regular skates before hitting the ice with goalie skates

Exarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:12 PM
SCBruCrew4

I'd suggest learning in player skates first.

2 reasons. Yes you want to play net, but everyone learns in player skates first. By using player skates over goalie skates it will be easier for you to perform starts and stops and agility drills to get comfortable on the ice, which will translate to being better in the net.

And secondly, more of a question really, but how do you know you want to be a goalie? (Sorry if this has been answered)

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Plante

I made midget AAA and only started playing hockey at 13, couldn't skate worth a darn in player skates, but could tear things up on goalie skates.

I'd suggest sticking with goalie skates whenever you play hockey since you're starting so late, but i'd get both pair and skate around on the player skates on the pond every now and then to get a feel of how players move.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd suggest player skates. Though, I started off as a player.

Right now I'm switching to goalie and use player skates. The only problem I have is moving side to side, but that's because of the skates.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Right now I'm switching to goalie and use player skates. The only problem I have is moving side to side, but that's because of the skates.
Please get goalie skates as quickly as possible. Don't wait until you get a broken foot, like I did.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:41 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
There was a team in the league I used to play in with a goalie that had that attitude. They finally got pissed enough at him that they put together some player equipment and made him skate out for a game. He changed his mind pretty quickly.

Goalies do some things with their skating that skaters don't have to do, true. But the idea that goalies are better skaters than everybody else is flat out untrue. Maybe some are, but most aren't.
Agree to a degree. No, goalies don't need to be the best at crossovers and other player specific movements. However, goalies do need to be the best at using their edges than everyone else IMO.

That being said, working with a lot of young goalies, the ones that are the best skaters typically have significantly better crease movements than the ones who are not strong skaters.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Please get goalie skates as quickly as possible. Don't wait until you get a broken foot, like I did.
Caught a rut ?

I do have them, just choose the player skates since my feet were already use to them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 01:01 PM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Caught a rut ?

I do have them, just choose the player skates since my feet were already use to them.
Took a shot off the inside of my foot, like an idiot. Got goalie skates the next day and it was a world of a difference and my skating improved incredibly.

Old
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
goonx

Quote:
i seriously doubt that unless you tell me you took figure skating classes. Goalies "skate" but it's the glide/edge-push that matters in making saves and micro-adjustment in ice position.

I agree with what pelt said.

That being said, usually better skaters have better balance/edge control/agility which is needed to play goal. Dominant hockey players also need to have edge control/balance/agility for checking,tight turns, start-stops and explosiveness.

Just because you're a goalie doesn't make you a better skater. There are goalies that are amazing skaters and aren't. Players that are amazing skaters and aren't.

Last edited by goonx: 01-22-2014 at 02:52 PM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:24 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Fixed that for you. Any extra money should go into a mask first and jock second before anything else.
I ment pads a bit more generally as in protective equipment... Not specifically like leg pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post

So did you then put on goalie pads?

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote