HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
I hear that Mike Thomas is leaving UNB to go to fire fighting school.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 05:21 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Maclise to Mount Royal in CanadaWest after just one year at UNB.

Old
05-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Maclise to Mount Royal in CanadaWest after just one year at UNB.
I liked him - his loss hurts as he was a good depth guy who had a lot of upside if he found his stride.

Not sure who will apply for the Assoc. Coach position. Someone mentioned Rob Hennigar, as he is in town. I'm not sure he has the experience in the other areas they have outlined. I first thought that there had been limited Alumni involvement behind the bench, but then checked and found that there has been someone almost every year.

Sparks, Lynes, Perry, S. Pearce, Madill, Shepard, Rivers, MacLean, Taylor, Knesaurek & Easter

Interesting to note that one of their duties is to coordinate the Steva Video Solution.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 07:45 PM
CIS Supporter

Wonder how long before they pick and announce new assistant coach? I think the job closed last Friday or today maybe. Who are some other possibilities, other than Henigar or is it his for sure?

CIS Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 08:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I was a little underwhelmed with Maclise honestly...I know he didn't get a lot of ice time but he never really showed me anything to really get excited about. One thing it does though is that between him and McNeil leaving it leaves UNB very small up front...hopefully they address this over the summer. They need some big bodies that can go to the dirty areas and take some abuse while getting some garbage goals.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I was a little underwhelmed with Maclise honestly...I know he didn't get a lot of ice time but he never really showed me anything to really get excited about.

True. I'm sure he was frustrated as well. I still wish he stuck around. Especially considering how small our forwards are this season.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Here is how I see the 2014/2015 roster as things stand right now...feel free to add any additional info that I may have missed/am not aware of:

DEPARTURES (11 skaters + 1 goalie)

G - Charles Lavigne (eligibility)
F - Chris Culligan (eligibility)
F - Shea Kewin (eligibility)
F - Nick MacNeil (graduation)
F - Ben Duffy (transfer to SMU)
F - Cam Maclise (transfer to MRU)
F - Antoine Houde-Caron (transfer to Concordia)
F - J.P. Labardo (transfer??)
D - Marc-Antoine Desnoyers (graduation)
D - Ben Shutron (graduation)
D - Tim Priamo (eligibility)
D - Keevin Cutting (transfer??...putting him here now since multiple reliable posters have said he has left)

RETURNING (12 skaters + 1 Goalie)
G - Joel Vienneau
F - Philippe Halley
F - Dylan Willick
F - Cam Braes
F - Philippe Maillet
F - Taylor MacDougall
F - Cameron Critchlow
F - Tyler Carroll
F - Thomas Nesbitt (putting him here until something has been confirmed)
F - Mike Thomas (putting him here until something has been confirmed)
D - Adrian Robertson
D - Matt Petgrave
D - Jordan Murray

RECRUITS (5 skaters + 1 goalie)
G - Chris Carrozzi (rumour)
F - Peter Trainor (confirmed)
F - Rob Mignardi (confirmed)
F - Cameron Brace (rumour)
D - Alex Wall (rumour)
D - Randy Gazzola (rumour)

- So even if Nesbitt/Thomas are both back and all the rumoured recruits show up they would only be at 17 skaters (12 F/5 D) and still looking at adding 5 more skaters, probably 2 forwards and 3 defenceman as they usually like having 8 defencemen, or at the very least 3 F/2 D with one of the forwards being able to slide back to D if needed.

- If Thomas and Nesbitt are both gone then they would be looking at only 10 returning skaters with 12 more needed (5 confirmed/rumoured + 7 more). I don't know if I have ever seen such a turnover from one year to the next. Should make for a fun summer.

- The D is going to be extremely young with the only returning guys a 3rd year (Robertson) and 2 2nd years (Petgrave/Murray)...Wall will be a nice veteran addition as they will probably have 3 or 4 rookies back there. I wouldn't mind seeing another 5th year transfer.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 05-25-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old
05-24-2014, 07:12 PM
cishockeyfan

Rob mignardi was far from special in the Newfounland Senior League this Winter averaging less than a point per game

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 10:10 PM
rethinking

Cutting is gone! Nesbitt and Thomas are both rumored to be gone but I guess things could change.

Some awfully big holes to fill!

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 10:25 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

So what's the deal with Nesbitt anyways? Did he graduate?

Old
05-25-2014, 08:41 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Gazzola( led Q in D scoring 2014) who is big and has an offensive upside,would be an excellent replacement for the losses of Desnoyer and Cutting. That's if he doesn't sign a pro contract during the off season?
The addition of Wall from UPEI leves UNB in good shape from a backend perspective.
Carrozzi played Senior in N.B. last year, is he going to be a go to guy in nets??

Old
05-25-2014, 09:35 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Nice story on Gazzola, including some quotes about him going to UNB next year....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...170026181.html

Old
05-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Nice story on Gazzola, including some quotes about him going to UNB next year....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...170026181.html
Glad to hear it from his mouth. I really hope he comes along with Trainor. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they both go pro.

With all the openings it is going to be an interesting Summer for the Vreds. As I have previously noted I am a fan of adding as many fifth year guys as possible.
Size up front will also have to be addressed at some point as well.

Old
05-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Henderson in AHL Semi's

Kevin Henderson (along with UoS Hulak) are in the AHL Western finals (AHL Semis) with Texas vs Toronto. CIS kids doing good.

Old
05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
CIS Supporter

Quote:
Here is how I see the 2014/2015 roster as things stand right now...feel free to add any additional info that I may have missed/am not aware of:

DEPARTURES (11 skaters + 1 goalie)

G - Charles Lavigne (eligibility)
F - Chris Culligan (eligibility)
F - Shea Kewin (eligibility)
F - Nick MacNeil (graduation)
F - Ben Duffy (transfer to SMU)
F - Cam Maclise (transfer to MRU)
F - Antoine Houde-Caron (transfer to Concordia)
F - J.P. Labardo (transfer??)
D - Marc-Antoine Desnoyers (graduation)
D - Ben Shutron (graduation)
D - Tim Priamo (eligibility)
D - Keevin Cutting (transfer??...putting him here now since multiple reliable posters have said he has left)

RETURNING (12 skaters + 1 Goalie)
G - Joel Vienneau
F - Philippe Halley
F - Dylan Willick
F - Cam Braes
F - Philippe Maillet
F - Taylor MacDougall
F - Cameron Critchlow
F - Tyler Carroll
F - Thomas Nesbitt (putting him here until something has been confirmed)
F - Mike Thomas (putting him here until something has been confirmed)
D - Adrian Robertson
D - Matt Petgrave
D - Jordan Murray

RECRUITS (5 skaters + 1 goalie)
G - Chris Carrozzi (rumour)
F - Peter Trainor (confirmed)
F - Rob Mignardi (confirmed)
F - Cameron Brace (rumour)
D - Alex Wall (rumour)
D - Randy Gazzola (rumour)

- So even if Nesbitt/Thomas are both back and all the rumoured recruits show up they would only be at 17 skaters (12 F/5 D) and still looking at adding 5 more skaters, probably 2 forwards and 3 defenceman as they usually like having 8 defencemen, or at the very least 3 F/2 D with one of the forwards being able to slide back to D if needed.

- If Thomas and Nesbitt are both gone then they would be looking at only 10 returning skaters with 12 more needed (5 confirmed/rumoured + 7 more). I don't know if I have ever seen such a turnover from one year to the next. Should make for a fun summer.

- The D is going to be extremely young with the only returning guys a 3rd year (Robertson) and 2 2nd years (Petgrave/Murray)...Wall will be a nice veteran addition as they will probably have 3 or 4 rookies back there. I wouldn't mind seeing another 5th year transfer.

Wow. Hearing Nesbitt is close to getting his degree and not back. If Thomas is also gone, that only leaves 10 skaters of 22 from last year. This assumes Carroll is healthy. So more than half of team will be new. Also 5 of 10 returning skaters will only be 2nd year, leaving only 5 of 22 3rd year or older (unless some transfers come). Awesome for future, but could be tough to get to Halifax next year.

Old
05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I went over to the OHL board and asked them what they could tell me about rumoured UNB recruit Cameron Brace...I like what I am hearing...

Quote:
Speed to burn, high end skater, great shot and loves the big games
Quote:
Love his release coming down the wing. Picks corners and has the speed to set himself apart from the group. Not what I'd consider a "soft" player, can handle the physical game.

One drawback is that he's short tempered, an aspect of his game that got him multiple suspensions in the OHL. He gets pretty worked up out there. He is a competitor.

I think he'll be real good at the University level. An intriguing player when used correctly and put alongside the right line mates.
Quote:
Very very quick,great on the PK and an all around good hockey IQ.

Speed is his biggest asset!

Old
05-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIS Supporter View Post
Wow. Hearing Nesbitt is close to getting his degree and not back. If Thomas is also gone, that only leaves 10 skaters of 22 from last year. This assumes Carroll is healthy. So more than half of team will be new. Also 5 of 10 returning skaters will only be 2nd year, leaving only 5 of 22 3rd year or older (unless some transfers come). Awesome for future, but could be tough to get to Halifax next year.
Yeah, this could be a rebuild year. By UNB standards anyways. We are always used to the team being a CIS favorite from the get go.

As I mentioned earlier I hope they get some 5th year transfers.

I also hope they leave about three spots open to add some guys during the season.

Old
05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I also hope they leave about three spots open to add some guys during the season.
Yes - I think they will as I suspect (given UNB's track record of aiming high) that they are likely looking at 1-3 overage-going-pro types which may need some time to decide.

Old
05-28-2014, 01:53 PM
FreddtFoyle

In case anyone was wondering what he was up to, Chad Denny (he of the blistering point shot) just strode across the red carpet and received his Bachelor of Recreation and Sport Studies from UNB.

Take that doubters!

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 03:16 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Can't see Cutting playing this year for Ryerson, as stated in the recruiting thread. He would need to sit a year, as will Maclise. Hearing that his relationship with the former assistant wasn' t great. That's all I have to say on that one.

Old
05-29-2014, 08:41 PM
CIS Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Can't see Cutting playing this year for Ryerson, as stated in the recruiting thread. He would need to sit a year, as will Maclise. Hearing that his relationship with the former assistant wasn' t great. That's all I have to say on that one.

Yes he would need to sit out one year from last game he played. Unless Ryerson appeals to CIS and wins the appeal, but not sure what grounds would be. Don't think he was the only one who didn't have a good relationship with former assistant coach.

Any update on Thomas leaving? Or if he leaves where he is going?

What about assistant coach job? Have they interviewed anyone yet?

Old
05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
recruiter

Quote:
Yes he would need to sit out one year from last game he played. Unless Ryerson appeals to CIS and wins the appeal, but not sure what grounds would be. Don't think he was the only one who didn't have a good relationship with former assistant coach.

Any update on Thomas leaving? Or if he leaves where he is going?

What about assistant coach job? Have they interviewed anyone yet?
I have feeling Cutting will win his appeal as I heard same about assistant coach and CIS board of appeals will allow him to play

recruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 09:59 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me...I've heard that there have been a number of players in the past who never really got along with him. Makes you wonder if his resignation wasn't entirely on his own terms.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
The Daily Gleaner reported a quote from Ryerson Coach Wise that Cutting would have to sit-out the year.

Not sure how you can request an appeal when the complaint is 'I don't like the coach' - such is life. If that was the case - everyone would be making the same claim.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me...I've heard that there have been a number of players in the past who never really got along with him. Makes you wonder if his resignation wasn't entirely on his own terms.
There is always conflict in coaching. I imagine it's not so bad when you win titles every other year, but some take awhile to get the bad taste out of their mouth or just don't want wait it out.