HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Totally agree, I think they might go with Vienieau now on a rotating basis. Lacosta was the league's best last year and was razor sharp against SMU at the AUS and University Cup finals. UNB 's rotation is not as good as last tear, but still good.
I would say that Peters is the best in the AUS, winning gold at World University games

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I wonder if we finally see Carroll this weekend?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Rob

Halley with the goal of the year thus far!

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:37 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Halley with the goal of the year thus far!
Without a doubt.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Big Bad Jon

Just Wow What a Goal by Halley and in OT to bout. He has been getting oodles of chances but having a hard time finishing; hopefully that sets him off....How about the line of Culligan-Mallet-Halley....gotta be one of the top lines in the country.

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:41 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Jon View Post
Just Wow What a Goal by Halley and in OT to bout. He has been getting oodles of chances but having a hard time finishing; hopefully that sets him off....How about the line of Culligan-Mallet-Halley....gotta be one of the top lines in the country.
What makes it even scarier is that then you've got to deal with the MacNeil-Braes-Nesbitt line right behind it, plus Carroll has hardly played all season.

Old
01-31-2014, 09:01 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Hard to believe they have the record they do considering how little Carroll has played this year.

Old
01-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Hard to believe they have the record they do considering how little Carroll has played this year.
Going to be interesting to see where they put him when he comes back. Or should I say if he comes back?

Old
02-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Prov1X

Encouraging to hear that Carroll is skating again, but had the no contact jersey on
Wondering if it might be worth it to just shut him down completely and make sure that he is 100% for next season.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Don't know if I have ever seen a team get a penalty shot and penalty on the same play before....or be awarded a goal when the net was knocked off before the puck had actually gone in....weird game tonight to say the least.

Old
02-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Don't know if I have ever seen a team get a penalty shot and penalty on the same play before....or be awarded a goal when the net was knocked off before the puck had actually gone in....weird game tonight to say the least.
A bunch of us sitting together actually said the same thing, we had never seen a penalty shot and a penalty (still trying to figure out where it was, was it when Peters lunged up at him?).
And still think that he blew that call on the net coming off, regardless if he thought it was going to be a goal or not, shouldn't the play be whistled down and a penalty assessed if he thought it was deliberate?
Weird one to say the least.

Old
02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

They are really going to need to tighten up their defensive zone play heading into the playoffs...too many goals this weekend as a result of running around in their own zone/failed clearing attempts/leaving guys completely untouched in prime scoring spots....I don't know if there was anyone within 10 feet of Tanaka when he scored from the slot.

Old
02-01-2014, 09:15 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
And still think that he blew that call on the net coming off, regardless if he thought it was going to be a goal or not, shouldn't the play be whistled down and a penalty assessed if he thought it was deliberate?
Weird one to say the least.
Yeah it was strange...even though Halley had Peters easily beat it seemed like the whistle blew even before he released the puck...yes, it would have been highly unlikely but he could have still screwed it up and missed.

Or did the net get pushed off and whistle blow after Halley shot it and was obvious the puck was clearly going in? I was at the other end of the rink so I couldn't get a good look at it.

Old
02-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Rob

Well this game was certainly more entertaining than the game against X on Friday. As has already been pointed out they can be really sloppy in their own end at times. They are going to have to be more defensively sound if they want to make the trip to Saskatoon again.

Certainly no complaints about the offense. Halley, Maillet and Culligen might be the best line we ever had. I noticed that they were really going for the stretch passes a lot. Probably can't do that in playoffs though as teams will be sitting back.

Vienneau didn't have a great game but he did make some key saves in the third. I wonder if he will get the start for the next four games?

Old
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Prov1X

Quote:
Yeah it was strange...even though Halley had Peters easily beat it seemed like the whistle blew even before he released the puck...yes, it would have been highly unlikely but he could have still screwed it up and missed.

Or did the net get pushed off and whistle blow after Halley shot it and was obvious the puck was clearly going in? I was at the other end of the rink so I couldn't get a good look at it.
We sit in section 4 and had a pretty good view and I am not sure if the whistle had gone before the puck went into the net, but I am sure that the net was off long before Halley put it in. Was even more surprised that the ref was signalling a goal despite the net being way off.

Still not sure what to think of Joel, thought that he was terrible in the first, a little better in the second and good in third. I actually had high hopes for him, good size, good Jr career. First half of the season, thought, well it's all new to him, nerves and he will settle in, but really hasn't

Another player that I can't figure out is MacLise, I figured that he would dominate but has been very quiet. He's got the size, good hands and solid skater, but really hasn't stood out. Hoping it is just the fact that he is a long ways from home and a whole new system to get used to.

Old
02-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Blown Call

In my opinion - the Ref goofed on this call, as there is no rule that allows for the awarding of a goal when the goalie is on the ice. SMU should have gotten a Delay of Game Penalty.

SITUATION 7, Rule 10.4 (Goals and Assists)
No goal is to be allowed if the goal is off its mooring, regardless of whether or not the goal may have been deliberately knocked from its mooring, except under Rule 4.9(B)-Penalty Shot and Rule 4.10(b) when the goaltender is not on the ice for an extra attacker.

SITUATION 6, Rule 4.10 (Awarding Goals) (scenario c)

The goaltender is on the ice, but away from his goal crease. A player of the opposing team takes possession and control of the puck and shoots it towards the open goal. As the puck is about to enter the open goal a defending player knocks the goal off its mooring(s).

QUESTION: Do you award a goal?

ANSWER: No. No goal may be awarded as the goaltender is on the ice. The Referee would assess a Minor Penalty for delaying the game. If this happens in the last two minutes of the game or any time in overtime, a Penalty Shot shall be awarded against the offending team, as per rule 10.1 (c).

SITUATION 2, Rule 10.1 (Delay of Game)
When a defending player intentionally knocks the goal off its mooring, a Minor Penalty for Delay of Game shall be assessed or a Penalty Shot awarded (if in the last 2 minutes of a game or anytime in overtime).

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

20 Wins

So UNB has 20 wins this season making it the seventh year in a row (has to be record).

UNB has games against STU, UdeM, // DAL and ACD
while Acadia has to play SMU, DAL, // UdeM and UNB

I believe UNB has the easier schedule, but they can't go to sleep in the STU/DAL games.

Last year they only lost 1 game after the break, same in 2011 and 2010.

Old
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
In my opinion - the Ref goofed on this call, as there is no rule that allows for the awarding of a goal when the goalie is on the ice. SMU should have gotten a Delay of Game Penalty.
Totally agree on that, as I know for 100% that the net was off before the puck was in, now saying that, I am not sure if it was the first or second SMU goal but it never crossed the line, it hit the crossbar and went straight down, never in the net.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Phillippe Maillet - can do it all

Phillippe Maillet has a goal and two assists in the game against SMU as well as played nets for 2:19 of the game making 5 saves on 5 shots for a GAA of 0.00 and SvPct of 100%

Who knew his hockey skill extended to playing goalie? Talk about a well rounded and skilled player.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:34 AM
radapex

Quote:
Phillippe Maillet has a goal and two assists in the game against SMU as well as played nets for 2:19 of the game making 5 saves on 5 shots for a GAA of 0.00 and SvPct of 100%

Who knew his hockey skill extended to playing goalie? Talk about a well rounded and skilled player.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Awarding a Goal - Blown call

Quote:
... there is no rule that allows for the awarding of a goal when the goalie is on the ice. SMU should have gotten a Delay of Game Penalty.
SMU Coach, Trevor Stienburg, re-iterated this in his comments in today's Gleaner. I suspect this will result in a review by the Official's Office into Doyle's call - a level 4 shouldn't make a mistake like that and they (the ref) are not empowered, no matter how much intent there is from the defending player to dislodge the net, to award a goal when the goalie is on the ice.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Prov1X

Quote:

I think that they are a little light on the empty net times, it seemed like there was more than that.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Prov1X

STU vs UNB

Spirited affair to say the least last night. Lots of cheap shots, water bottles being thrown, coaches wanting to get involved, coaches refusing to shake hands. Entertaining LOL.

Interesting to see if Saab plays another game this season, hoping that his year is done, pure classless.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:11 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I heard someone saying last night that Thomas will be suspended a game for picking up his 3rd 10-minute misconduct of the year, is that true?

Old
02-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Prov1X

Quote:
I heard someone saying last night that Thomas will be suspended a game for picking up his 3rd 10-minute misconduct of the year, is that true?
I am not able to find anything pertaining to the 10 min misconducts, but doesn't mean that there is not a rule. Did find this and would pertain to Saab.

Quote:
11.2 A second five-minute penalty within the same season is a game ejection and a
one-game suspension.
Saab had a fighting major vs Dal on Jan 4th, so this would be his second 5 min major, although I would hope that his actions last night would be reviewed.