HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm guessing Lavinge will be back in nets tonight? Hard to argue against back to back shutouts even though he wasn't tested that much.
Lavigne loves to play the role of Water Buffalo with that stick of his

Always funny to watch any game in Acadia, watching a great evenly played game in the first between UNB and Acadia and the Announcer says UNB is being Held to only 2 shots?? really? who does the shot clock at this rink? an Alumni in the stands? I never Heard what the final shots of the Period were, in actuality I would say 10-8 UNB or 10-10, but Im guessing it will be recorded as 14-4 Acadia

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 07:33 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Shots were 9-5 in the 1st period for Acadia...I thought that sounded about right, UNB didn't do too much offensively and Acadia seemed to control the puck the majority of the time.

Shots were 14-7 UNB in the 2nd.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Rob

Three straight shutouts for Lavinge. Safe to say he will be starting in the playoffs.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:53 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Really encouraging to see how they have been playing defense the last 3 games...especially considering they faced the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring teams in the conference in Acadia and Moncton.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Gardiner's Contract

From what I can put together, this is Gardiner's last season unless he signs a new contract this Summer or the announced 5 year contract was an extension to an existing contract that had more time on it.

The UNB press release that announced Gardiner's last contract said it was for the next 5 years, but did not state when those 5 years ended. The release was August 5, 2009.

"The University of New Brunswick is pleased to announce that Gardiner MacDougall will continue as the head coach of UNB Varsity Reds men's hockey team for the next five years."

so.. does he stay or go?

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
radapex

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
From what I can put together, this is Gardiner's last season unless he signs a new contract this Summer or the announced 5 year contract was an extension to an existing contract that had more time on it.

The UNB press release that announced Gardiner's last contract said it was for the next 5 years, but did not state when those 5 years ended. The release was August 5, 2009.

"The University of New Brunswick is pleased to announce that Gardiner MacDougall will continue as the head coach of UNB Varsity Reds men's hockey team for the next five years."

so.. does he stay or go?
I think he stays. He turned down QMJHL coaching offers in, at least, each of the last 3 seasons.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in the QMJHL or elsewhere, but I'm under the impression that he's quite happy with the gig he's got at UNB.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I think he stays. He turned down QMJHL coaching offers in, at least, each of the last 3 seasons.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in the QMJHL or elsewhere, but I'm under the impression that he's quite happy with the gig he's got at UNB.
I suspect that he will have a new contract if he wants to stay, definitely has been a positive for the entire program. Although coaching in the CHL would be nice, I don't think that he would have the job security that he currently enjoys. Never say never though

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:11 PM
AUS Fan

As a CHL coach, you are limited by the players your GM gets for you. If you have marginal players it is difficult to win.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Prov1X

Getting away from the coaching side, what is wrong with the people of Fredericton, do they not know the caliber of hockey they are missing? What a shame to have a playoff game with "2100" in attendance (not sure if they count the players, coaches and staff to get to that number). It's not like they are competing with a major junior team or AHL team. Makes no sense, with a student population of 10,000+ why they are not able to sell out a playoff game.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

2100 is actually better than it has been since season tickets include playoff games now. Some of the semi-final games in recent years have been around 1500 or so.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:11 PM
unbNewf

The reported attendance numbers at the AUC have been way off this year. With the switch to reserved seating they have about 1000 seats blocked off for students, sponsors and VIP guests. That number, plus all the season ticket holders are always counted as in attendance. I would subtract 500-1000 from every reported attendance number this year to get the true number of people at the AUC.

Hopefully they fix the system for next year. People have been turned away for a 'sold out' game and the stands are half empty.

Last edited by unbNewf: 02-28-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
unbNewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 09:16 PM
cishockeyfan

Im feeling the Curse of the Even YEAR for UNB!!!

2007-good
2008-bad
2009-good
2010-bad
2011-good
2012-bad
2013-good
2014-............

UNB will be hard pressed in game 4, St Mary's has confidence and nothing to lose, Peters is a rock, should expect a big crowd, and UNB has a history not playing the greatest in the Forum, or is it SMU that just plays UNB that good?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
UNB will be hard pressed in game 4, St Mary's has confidence and nothing to lose, Peters is a rock, should expect a big crowd, and UNB has a history not playing the greatest in the Forum, or is it SMU that just plays UNB that good?
3rd straight playoff loss at the Forum for UNB.

Considering the line-up SMU is icing right now UNB shouldn't be having any trouble with them....that is what makes it so frustrating. Seems like every goalie plays the games of their life against UNB.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Big Bad Jon

Gotta look at the positive that at least the series is a best of 5 cause it would already be over in a best of 3 like previous years. Hard to complain about the way UNB is playing they are generating lots of chances just need to get a couple more bounces in game 4. Peters is playing incredible but unb has got to crash the net more in game 4 (like game 2). I'm not ready for the season to be over yet lol.

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I don't think of 2008 and 2012 were 'bad' years, they won AUS titles those years. You can't win Gold every year.

2010 was a 'bad' year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post

2007-good
2008-bad AUS Title - Silver
2009-good
2010-bad (don't want to talk about it)
2011-good
2012-bad AUS Title - 3rd
2013-good
2014-............
I agree though - they aren't playing the game they need to play to win. It's as if they haven't given SMU any respect - 'don't they know who we are- we're UNB'. As such, they just think the win is going to happen.

Old
03-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Jon View Post
Gotta look at the positive that at least the series is a best of 5 cause it would already be over in a best of 3 like previous years.
Yup - very happy about that

Old
03-02-2014, 09:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

When is the last time they have rallied to win a series?

Old
03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
When is the last time they have rallied to win a series?
Rally
UNB has only rallied once under Gardiner - in his first season 2000/01 (best of 3) vs Acaida. They lost game 1 on the road, then won two at the AUC.

In all other Gardiner cases, when UNB has lost the first game - they have been swept. No UNB oppenent has ever take the lead in a series forcing UNB to rally (UNB have lost some deciding games but never trailed).

5 Game Series
UNB has never trailed in a 5 game series in his tenure. In almost all cases they have won the first two then either a sweep or split on the road. Only the 2011 series vs SFX went 5.

So, this is new territory for 'this' group of UNB players.

This isn't a personnel issue - it's a 'how you play' issue and I'm sure Peters is driving them nuts (resulting in too many passes).

2-in-a-Row

UNB has not lost 2 Playoff games in a row since the 2010 SFX series when they were swept 3 straight (then 2 straight vs SMU in 2009 including a game 3 loss at the AUC and 2 straight vs UdeM in 2007 - resulting in Wild-card births in both years).

The last time UNB lost 2 games in a row (which also happen to be back-2-back) was Jan. 2012 on the road vs SMU and SFX (2-1 and 5-4 SO). So - losing 2 in a row isn't something they have a habit of doing much - have to expect they come back strong like they did in game 2.

Peters and Game 1/3/5
The issue has been Peters playing great with the rest (game 1 and 3) and if we get to game 5 - you have to expect him to have another great game.

Old
03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Rally
UNB has only rallied once under Gardiner - in his first season 2000/01 (best of 3) vs Acaida. They lost game 1 on the road, then won two at the AUC.

In all other Gardiner cases, when UNB has lost the first game - they have been swept. No UNB oppenent has ever take the lead in a series forcing UNB to rally (UNB have lost some deciding games but never trailed).

5 Game Series
UNB has never trailed in a 5 game series in his tenure. In almost all cases they have won the first two then either a sweep or split on the road. Only the 2011 series vs SFX went 5.

So, this is new territory for 'this' group of UNB players.

This isn't a personnel issue - it's a 'how you play' issue and I'm sure Peters is driving them nuts (resulting in too many passes).

2-in-a-Row

UNB has not lost 2 Playoff games in a row since the 2010 SFX series when they were swept 3 straight (then 2 straight vs SMU in 2009 including a game 3 loss at the AUC and 2 straight vs UdeM in 2007 - resulting in Wild-card births in both years).

The last time UNB lost 2 games in a row (which also happen to be back-2-back) was Jan. 2012 on the road vs SMU and SFX (2-1 and 5-4 SO). So - losing 2 in a row isn't something they have a habit of doing much - have to expect they come back strong like they did in game 2.

Peters and Game 1/3/5
The issue has been Peters playing great with the rest (game 1 and 3) and if we get to game 5 - you have to expect him to have another great game.
You have to expect Peters will be as good as game 1 and game 3 tonite! And SMU will be at their best Sunday night. It will take the V-Reds best road game of the year , opportunistic scoring and dam'n good goaltending to bring it back to the AUC for Tuesday.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Big Bad Jon

I believe!

Old
03-02-2014, 06:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Why are they starting Vienneau tonight?!? Yeah, Lavigne let in a couple of sloppy ones this series but he isn't the reason they are down 2-1....Peters is the reason they are down. This just reeks of a panic move...reminds me of 2010 against X when they couldn't decide on a goalie and kept going back and forth between Fullerton/Yeomans.

Old
03-02-2014, 06:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

and the power play has let them down big time...especially last night. They can hardly get shots on net let alone good scoring chances.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-02-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old
03-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Big Bad Jon

They are not playing with a plan..just firing shots from anywhere without a purpose just like games 1 and 3...need to crash the net and bang in some rebounds..SMU playing perfect game so far.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
radapex

vCash: 1150
Apparently Braes left the game injured, and Culligan was shaken up by that knee on knee hit late in the second.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Prov1X

That is how Braes was injured as well, hasn't been back