HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
That is how Braes was injured as well, hasn't been back
Seems to have been a lot of questionable hits by SMU that haven't even been called a minor.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:34 PM
rethinking

vCash: 500
This officiating has to be very frustrating for coaches, players and fans. No call when Braes was nailed or when Culligan was taken down earlier on a scoring chance and then a borderline goalie interference call was made. Hopefully, Culligan is okay after that low hit just before the end of the period.

Certainly this type of officiating favors SMU!

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

It definitely didn't sound good w/r/t Braes....went right to the locker room and the announcers said he was obviously in a lot of pain. Hue loss (obviously) if he can't come back.

Culligan seemed to be ok as he stayed on the ice right until the end of the period.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:44 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethinking View Post
This officiating has to be very frustrating for coaches, players and fans. No call when Braes was nailed or when Culligan was taken down earlier on a scoring chance and then a borderline goalie interference call was made. Hopefully, Culligan is okay after that low hit just before the end of the period.

Certainly this type of officiating favors SMU!
Even the SMU announcers couldn't believe they didn't get called when hauling Culligan down on that scoring chance. It was more like a tackle than any hockey play.

Old
03-02-2014, 06:55 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

This is unbelievable...I can't see UNB scoring this game.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:13 PM
radapex

So they don't call Bloodoff for hitting from behind in game 1; they don't call Marchand for hitting from behind in game 2; they don't call Marchand for keeping earlier in this one; but they call Culligan for hitting from behind with 1:50 left in UNB's season.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Prov1X

Actually UNB gave up long before those calls, that was one of their worst games, NO sense of urgency, non chalent on the power play. They looked beaten before the third period. Oh well. Best of luck to SMU

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
cishockeyfan

unfortunately regardless bottom line is UNB couldnt score in this series that was the difference and the partys over. Good news is next year is 2015 an odd year so win win a cis title!

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Big Bad Jon

After a year of talking about how UNB's goaltending would let them down, turns out it is the offence that disappears...UNB's goaltending is solid, but unfortunately the offence is shut down.

Easy to second guess now, but the offence was cookin without carroll. Carroll came back but never quite looked comfortable, in hindsight maybe he should have come back a few games earlier to get his timing back, either way who would have forsaw unb scoring 2 goals over 3 games plus overtime...gotta score to win.

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
WilcoxHound

Was the chemistry in the dressing room upset by bringing in the ringers after the Xmas break?
For a guy accustomed to the tight-fistedness of the OUA I find it difficult to grasp how a team that throws money at recruits (mod edit) can't seem to buy a championship.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-03-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: let's avoid similies and metaphors of this type.
WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Was the chemistry in the dressing room upset by bringing in the ringers after the Xmas break?
For a guy accustomed to the tight-fistedness of the OUA I find it difficult to grasp how a team that throws money at recruits (mod edit) can't seem to buy a championship.
we are just a struggling franchise unable to compete, dont hate on us, one day we will win one day

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-03-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: quote edit
Old
03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Jon View Post
After a year of talking about how UNB's goaltending would let them down, turns out it is the offence that disappears...UNB's goaltending is solid, but unfortunately the offence is shut down.

Easy to second guess now, but the offence was cookin without carroll. Carroll came back but never quite looked comfortable, in hindsight maybe he should have come back a few games earlier to get his timing back, either way who would have forsaw unb scoring 2 goals over 3 games plus overtime...gotta score to win.
disagree about caroll, he was smokin in game 1, didnt he have like 9 shots on goal? he also played with the likes of critchlow and macdougall. far cry from chris culligan

Old
03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Jon View Post

Completely agree....it's funny to think, but they played better without Carroll all year (not just this series), than when he was in the line-up...he played in the regular season losses against STU, X, and the 5-1 game against Acadia. Amazingly, they were 22-0-1 without him in the regular season/playoffs and 3-6 with him.

They certainly had their chances though...5 power plays tonight (including 3 straight in the 3rd period) and a couple last night that could have been the difference (including a 5-on-3). I would have thought, though, that after a number of failed attempts at trying to carry the puck into the zone to set-up the power play they would have changed it up and tried something different.

Frustrating end to the season for sure.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Can't win every year...but they have "bought" 4 of the last 8...so I will take that.

They were far better after X-Mas than before....just ran into a hot goalie and couldn't get a break. Two games went into OT...they just easily could have swept the series in 3.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-03-2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: quote edit.
Old
03-02-2014, 07:46 PM
rethinking

It wasn't a game changing call because of the way Peters played but it certainly was not the way Chris Culligan wanted to end his AUS career. He bowled over Bloodoff somehow from about a foot and a half away trying to get to the puck and it was along the boards not into the boards.

So as radapex said we saw one of the cleanest players in the AUS got called for hitting from behind in the same series that a couple of blatant hits from behind into the boards weren't called.

Peters played fantastic and won the series for SMU but you also have to give credit to the SMU D and to their defensive game plan which took away the normal UNB odd man rushes and productivity.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethinking View Post
Peters played fantastic and won the series for SMU but you also have to give credit to the SMU D and to their defensive game plan which took away the normal UNB odd man rushes and productivity.
I was thinking during that during the game...I don't think UNB had an odd-man rush at all tonight. The top line did have 2 or 3 last night but just couldn't connect on them.

Old
03-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the dressing room, and yeah it's a real shame that a team from the OUA can't win one eh? Maybe they should throw some more money at recruits, stop them from coming down to the AUS!!

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 03-03-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: quote edit.
Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
bad refs

Does anyone not think that coaching plays a role? Just a thought. Stieny is a great coach, Gardiner is too, but the ability to adapt seems to be the difference here. SMU has a depleted line-up, rallies and buys in. Meanwhile, UNB seemed to play with no urgency and confidence waiting for opportunities to come their way rather than generating them. The pp lets UNB down the whole series. We all know a hot goaler can change a series.

bad refs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
rethinking

bad refs, I tried to acknowledge the coaching when I credited the SMU D and their defensive game plan. That carried over to their penalty kill as well. I think tonight UNB had one great chance on the PP when Culligan set up Murray right between the faceoff circles but SMU was able to pressure the puck carrier while getting back in the box quickly on the penalty kill.

I think UNB was trying to make the perfect shot sometimes because of the way Peters was playing and missed the net several times.

It wasn't from lack of effort because it was a very hard fought series.

Old
03-02-2014, 08:53 PM
bad refs

Fair enough rethinking... I was just curious to everyone's thoughts. I think Gardiner is a great recruiter, not sold on his coaching, even though they have won so many championships. IMO he panics when faced with adversity in some situations, especially in a short series. Its easy to play when your always ahead. Much harder to adapt when behind. I'm not trying to be critical just my observation and opinion.

bad refs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 09:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad refs View Post
Fair enough rethinking... I was just curious to everyone's thoughts. I think Gardiner is a great recruiter, not sold on his coaching, even though they have won so many championships. IMO he panics when faced with adversity in some situations, especially in a short series. Its easy to play when your always ahead. Much harder to adapt when behind. I'm not trying to be critical just my observation and opinion.
That's what I was getting at with the goaltending switch and how they did the same thing when they got behind in 2010....almost like they were trying anything in desperation to change their fortunes. Now, that move obviously wasn't the reason they lost this year, but still a strange decision regardless. I did notice they were trying some different line combinations last night as well with Nesbitt playing some on the 3rd line and Critchlow/Carroll playing some on the 2nd line...although that may have just been a case of PP/PK throwing things out of whack for a few shifts, but it did seem strange considering the 2nd line with MacNeil/Braes/Nesbitt had been good all year.

I know Drummer was saying they have only rallied to win one series under MacDougall (his very first year against Acadia)...but before this year I think the only year they got behind and should have come back to win (ie/ were truly upset) was in 2010 against X. The losses in 2005 and 2006 (Acadia) and 2007 (Moncton) they were clearly the underdog...even 2009 against SMU, though they did have the better record, those two teams were basically even. So, although their record of playing from behind isn't that great, they haven't had too many instances where they got behind and should have came back to win. Maybe not enough to draw any significant conclusion.

Old
03-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I know Drummer was saying they have only rallied to win one series under MacDougall (his very first year against Acadia)...but before this year I think the only year they got behind and should have come back to win (ie/ were truly upset) was in 2010 against X. The losses in 2005 and 2006 (Acadia) and 2007 (Moncton) they were clearly the underdog...even 2009 against SMU, though they did have the better record, those two teams were basically even. So, although their record of playing from behind isn't that great, they haven't had too many instances where they got behind and should have came back to win. Maybe not enough to draw any significant conclusion.
Correct - they had such good seasons they were the higher seed and had home-ice which they capitalized on. When they did lose - they were the underdog (early 2000s) and it was expected. Only in 2010 and this season were they the heavy favorites to win and didn't (the Olympic year curse is what I'm calling it)

This season did have some adversity to draw on: 6-4 come back vs STU when down 3-0. OT vs PEI when they tied it with 9secs left and OT vs SFX at the AUC all in the last month - plus the 4-3 loss to UMaine after being up 3-0.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Rob

A bit of irony here. When they were upset by STFX 4 years ago I wasn't too down because I was still euphoric from Team Canada's Gold medal win. Kind of the same feeling now. Still disappointed that I won't be seeing any more live playoff hockey.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

The frustrating part is this looks so much like the SFX series from 2010. That year SFX was 5th and defeated #4 UPEI and didn't even have a winning record (11-12-0-5) and were 27pts behind UNB. This year SMU squeezed into 5th on the last weekend and defeated #4 UPEI with a .500 record (14-14-0) and were 21pts behind UNB.

They hadn't defeated UNB, UdeM or Acadia (6 loses in total) after Christmas and had only 1 win over UdeM before (1-11 vs the top 3). This was a team, statistically, that should not have won.

UNB really only plays one way and when the other team doesn't play along and instead just plays hard D and counters on mistakes/miscues - it's hard to score. I don't know if that's a fault of the coaching staff - when you have a lot of success with it - there isn' t much motivation to change (which means sometimes you will have these loses). I also don't think it's that easy to change in mid-series to a whole new strategy - this isn't like changing tires on a car.

For me it boils down to two things (and Peters isn't one of them - a hot goalie may win a game but he should not win the series)
1) UNB didn't get the 2 wins at home
and
2) Specialty teams
UNB were 1-17 (.058) in the series on PP (1-5, 0-3,0-4 with 50sec 5-3 & 0-5). Had they achieved 15% (league average) they would have had 1-2 more goals which is the difference in those tight games.
and 13-15 (.866) on the PK (3-4,4-5,4-4 & 2-2). Not bad, but one of those was in OT and was the gift win for SMU in game 1

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Rob

Who is gone for sure:

Culligan
Priamo
Lavigne
Kerwin
Shutron

Players who are in their 4th year and might be back are: