HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nicknames for the current Leafs players...

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 09:50 AM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
Nicknames for the current Leafs players...

In days gone by there were alot more NHLers with nicknames than what we find in today's game......for example we all know of "Tiger" for Dave Williams and "King" Clancy......and today we also have "The Eagle" for Eddie Belfour............

Looking up-and-down this Leafs roster most of the players do not have a nickname; or at least not one that the public is aware of.......what would be some nicknames that you would give to some of the current Leafs players like Darcy Tucker, Bryan MCabe and others?.......

Nicknames.....Let's make some up.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:54 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
well do you mean nickname for the public? like *eagle* for eddie, or nicknames used on the ice, to holler for a pass or something like that..

i'd be interested in the nicknames used on the ice...

maybe MoMo for mogilny on the ice, matti for sundin, antro for hmm.. antropov :p.. , caber for mccabe...etc..

Old
09-28-2003, 09:55 AM
RiellyGood

Max Powers, Mad Max

Old
09-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
one of my all time favs

Kaberle- Krazy Kabby

Old
09-28-2003, 10:18 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
well do you mean nickname for the public? like *eagle* for eddie, or nicknames used on the ice, to holler for a pass or something like that..

maybe MoMo for mogilny on the ice, matti for sundin, antro for hmm.. antropov :p.. , caber for mccabe...etc..
Ya ok......How about for both...the public ones and the ones used out on the ice?.......as well, what was Wendel Clark's nickname?....Did he have any?.....just wondering.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Epoch

Darcy Tucker = Sideshow Bob

I love that one!

Old
09-28-2003, 10:20 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
Darcy Tucker = Sideshow Bob

I love that one!

That's a good one yes.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:44 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think youve made one too many threads monkey LOL

Old
09-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box

BTW Mogilny's nickname is "Almo".

I do miss the old names: Rocket Richard, Pocket Rocket Richard, the Golden Jet (Bobby Hull), "Terrible Ted" Lindsay, the Chicoutimi Cucumber (George Vezina), Mr. Zero (Frankie Brimsek), Le Gros Bill (Jean Beliveau), Ken "The Rat" Linseman, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz, Bob "Hound" Kelly Tiger Williams, George "The Chief" Armstrong, Johnie "Pie" Mckenzie, Bill "Cowboy" Flett, Derek "Turk" Sanderson, Walter "Turk" Broda, Lorne "Gump" Worsley, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, Yvon "The Roadrunner" Cournoyer, Aubrey Victor "Dit" Clapper, Francis "King" Clancy, George "Punch" Imlach, "Leapin' Louie " Fontinato, Hector "Toe" Blake, Fred "Cyclone" Taylor, Walter "Babe" Pratt, Freddie "The Fog" Shero, Larry "Big Bird" Robinson, Nels "Old Poison" Stewart, The Stratford Streak (Howie Morenz), Roy "Shrimp" Worters, "The Dipsy Doodle Dandy From Delisle" (Max Bentley).

However my all-time favourite nickname was a great career minor league goalie (6 NHL games with Boston) from the 1950's and 60's whom I saw play for the Victoria Maple Leafs in the mid-60's, who also was property of the Bruins, Wings, Flyers and Canucks. His nickname was Al "Scoop" Millar. The name is not that remarkable but the story for public consumption was that he had either a great glove hand (he did) or that he loved reading newspapers to get the "scoop" on the world. Neither was actually true as he was a kleptomaniac and all his teammates had to keep everything locked up when he was around. But for this one slight flaw he could have been one of the great ones.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:18 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
BTW Mogilny's nickname is "Almo".

I do miss the old names: Rocket Richard, Pocket Rocket Richard, the Golden Jet (Bobby Hull), "Terrible Ted" Lindsay, the Chicoutimi Cucumber (George Vezina), Mr. Zero (Frankie Brimsek), Le Gros Bill (Jean Beliveau), Ken "The Rat" Linseman, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz, Bob "Hound" Kelly Tiger Williams, George "The Chief" Armstrong, Johnie "Pie" Mckenzie, Bill "Cowboy" Flett, Derek "Turk" Sanderson, Walter "Turk" Broda, Lorne "Gump" Worsley, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, Yvon "The Roadrunner" Cournoyer, Aubrey Victor "Dit" Clapper, Francis "King" Clancy, George "Punch" Imlach, "Leapin' Louie " Fontinato, Hector "Toe" Blake, Fred "Cyclone" Taylor, Walter "Babe" Pratt, Freddie "The Fog" Shero, Larry "Big Bird" Robinson, Nels "Old Poison" Stewart, The Stratford Streak (Howie Morenz), Roy "Shrimp" Worters, "The Dipsy Doodle Dandy From Delisle" (Max Bentley).

However my all-time favourite nickname was a great career minor league goalie (6 NHL games with Boston) from the 1950's and 60's whom I saw play for the Victoria Maple Leafs in the mid-60's, who also was property of the Bruins, Wings, Flyers and Canucks. His nickname was Al "Scoop" Millar. The name is not that remarkable but the story for public consumption was that he had either a great glove hand (he did) or that he loved reading newspapers to get the "scoop" on the world. Neither was actually true as he was a kleptomaniac and all his teammates had to keep everything locked up when he was around. But for this one slight flaw he could have been one of the great ones.
Wow!...That's quite an impressive list you got there of nicknames.....It seems to me there were more back then compared to what we have in today's game.......There should be more today I think...Nicknames are fun.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Wow!...That's quite an impressive list you got there of nicknames.....It seems to me there were more back then compared to what we have in today's game.......There should be more today I think...Nicknames are fun.
I think a lot of it had to do with the reporters and broadcasters of the time. There was not the volume of information available then that exists now so IMHO nicknames were part of every writer's or broadcaster's "padding" wwwhen you had to write something or say something to fill dead air. Now broadcasters have one or two sidekicks to keep things moving along.

Many of the best nicknames in the past were conferred by the media of the day. Today nearly every player has a nickname on the team, they just are not as colourful as they used to be. They usually consist of adding the suffix "y" or "ie" to the last name (or a derivative thereof) such as "Nazzy" for Markus Naslund.

You could make a case for Dominic "The Dominator" Hasek being right up there with the best. Bertuzzi's nickname of "Toddzilla" is just a little too cute for my taste and "Foppa" was Forsberg's Swedish nickname.

I guess my nickname would be "Wetty" and I am not sure that I want to go there. (Actually it was "Ranger" which was drawn from a radio bit in the 1970's involving the adventures of The Stoned Ranger and his faithful Indian (First Nations??/ Aboriginal??) companion, Toronto. The origins of the nickname are best left in the annals of my early university career.)

Old
09-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Transplanted Caper

Tucker the Fuc....er.....Nevermind

Old
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
I think a lot of it had to do with the reporters and broadcasters of the time. There was not the volume of information available then that exists now so IMHO nicknames were part of every writer's or broadcaster's "padding" wwwhen you had to write something or say something to fill dead air. Now broadcasters have one or two sidekicks to keep things moving along.

Many of the best nicknames in the past were conferred by the media of the day. Today nearly every player has a nickname on the team, they just are not as colourful as they used to be. They usually consist of adding the suffix "y" or "ie" to the last name (or a derivative thereof) such as "Nazzy" for Markus Naslund.

You could make a case for Dominic "The Dominator" Hasek being right up there with the best. Bertuzzi's nickname of "Toddzilla" is just a little too cute for my taste and "Foppa" was Forsberg's Swedish nickname.

I guess my nickname would be "Wetty" and I am not sure that I want to go there. (Actually it was "Ranger" which was drawn from a radio bit in the 1970's involving the adventures of The Stoned Ranger and his faithful Indian (First Nations??/ Aboriginal??) companion, Toronto. The origins of the nickname are best left in the annals of my early university career.)
Bertuzzi's is TODDZILLA?....lol...I can't stop laughing at that one...lol.........

The reporting back then was much better to I would imagine?

Old
09-28-2003, 08:44 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Quote:
(Actually it was "Ranger" which was drawn from a radio bit in the 1970's involving the adventures of The Stoned Ranger and his faithful Indian (First Nations??/ Aboriginal??) companion, Toronto. The origins of the nickname are best left in the annals of my early university career.)
OMG! I can't believe someone else remembers that bit! I used to hear it on Q107 with Scruff and The Byrd - flash backs...

My Mogilny nickname is The Siberian Tiger. You never know when he'll pounce but you know he's somewhere out there.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:08 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill_me_mogilny
OMG! I can't believe someone else remembers that bit! I used to hear it on Q107 with Scruff and The Byrd - flash backs...

My Mogilny nickname is The Siberian Tiger. You never know when he'll pounce but you know he's somewhere out there.
Hey I like that........Mogilny as the Siberian Tiger!.....Ya!

Old
09-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
We Swedes call Sundin, Sudden.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:24 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
We Swedes call Sundin, Sudden.
Sudden?...why is that?.......what does it mean?

Old
09-29-2003, 03:30 PM
loveshack2

How has this thread gone more than a page without mentioning the best current Leaf nickname of them all.....

Wade Belak - The Albino Rhino

Wade's World! Wade's World!
Party Time! Excellent!!

Old
09-29-2003, 06:42 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Quote:
Hey I like that........Mogilny as the Siberian Tiger!.....Ya!

TY muchly - being a female I can get away with saying he can makeme growl any time

Old
09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
King of Kelvington

Wendel was nicknamed:
Captain Crunch

Old
09-30-2003, 03:36 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Sudden?...why is that?.......what does it mean?
Sudden is a common nickname for Sundin, it doesn't really mean anything.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:38 AM
cellardweller

Felix Potvin (Felix The Cat)
Trevor Kidd (Kidder)
Owen Nolan (Buster) *source Toronto Maple Leaf Homepage

Old
09-30-2003, 09:43 AM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Here's mine....

Sundin = swedeness (sweetness)

Old
09-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Not that he was fond of it (and not too many people would use it to his face!), but Clark was often referred to as "Wendy"... (go ahead - YOU call him that!). Also, Tie Domi has been called (but without the sticking power) "The Albanian Assassin". Bryan Marchment is regularly referred to as "Mush", although I prefer my suggestion, below...

No reason we couldn't have a common short-hand on HF for referring to our fave Leafers... some suggestions:

Bryan "Canner" McCabe (as in Can-opener...)
Nathan "Polly" Perrott (again, YOU call him that!... really more of an indictment of commentators continuing to mispronounce his name)
Mikael "Stimpy" Renberg ("Steempy - you eeediot!")
Darcy "Mother" Tucker ('nuff said)
"Wade-In" Belak (as in, "with fists flying")
Alexei "Polo" POnikarovsky ('nuff said)
Bryan "Big Stick" Marchment (as in, speak softly, but carry a...")

Other ideas?

Old
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Not that he was fond of it (and not too many people would use it to his face!), but Clark was often referred to as "Wendy"... (go ahead - YOU call him that!). Also, Tie Domi has been called (but without the sticking power) "The Albanian Assassin". Bryan Marchment is regularly referred to as "Mush", although I prefer my suggestion, below...

No reason we couldn't have a common short-hand on HF for referring to our fave Leafers... some suggestions:

Bryan "Canner" McCabe (as in Can-opener...)
Nathan "Polly" Perrott (again, YOU call him that!... really more of an indictment of commentators continuing to mispronounce his name)
Mikael "Stimpy" Renberg ("Steempy - you eeediot!")
Darcy "Mother" Tucker ('nuff said)
"Wade-In" Belak (as in, "with fists flying")
Alexei "Polo" POnikarovsky ('nuff said)
Bryan "Big Stick" Marchment (as in, speak softly, but carry a...")

Other ideas?
Doesn't Tucker usually go by the nickname "Whiney *****" ?

Closed Thread