Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Waiver Draft Thread ....

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 12:20 PM
HockeyGoddess

vCash: 500
As is true with most of the teams, most of the guys left unprotected are career AHLers who are generally considered for a callup due to injury on occasion (with a few notable exceptions on the full list of available players).

Other than Travis Green, I think I'd prefer the Bruins passed on any of the other players that are available.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-01-2003, 12:32 PM
BostonGrl819

Can we pick up Green or not since the Leafs are in our division?

Think Pittsburgh would be interested in Kutlak?

I can't believe we protected Kultanen and not Kutlak...even if we are going to sign Berard...

Old
10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
The Bruins can acutally pick up three players and expose Thomas, Nordstrom and Kultanen. Maybe we can replace them with Green, Boucher and Therien...... :p

Old
10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

It would be nice if they could figure out a way to hang on to Kutlak. I liked what I saw of him last night...

Old
10-01-2003, 12:38 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Boucher, Boucher, Boucher!

I for one am shocked. IMO the MOC should be all over him. The Bruins have wanted to land Boucher him for a number of years now. He is young, cheap and still has a pretty good upside.

There is absolutely no excuse for the Bruins not picking him up.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:39 PM
sagginb

T.Green would be a nice fit...he is right-handed and good on the draw...very nice 2nd line center to balance out Thornton and Rolston.
Would have to trade up I believe to get him...is he worth a pick to move up?...maybe Hilbert?

Another center I always liked was Trent Whitfield...he isn't big and doesn't have alot of upside but does play sound with heart.
I always liked him myself.

What up with Todd Simpson...don't see much of him but thought he was a good...tough player on the blueline?
I bet he get taken early as well.
Not sure I would move up for him but I would for Green if it didn't cost too much.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER
Boucher, Boucher, Boucher!

I for one am shocked. IMO the MOC should be all over him. The Bruins have wanted to land Boucher him for a number of years now. He is young, cheap and still has a pretty good upside.

There is absolutely no excuse for the Bruins not picking him up.

I have a weird feeling Boucher may get picked by the Rags..they can afford 2 million for a back-up....

Just a hunch...

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Old
10-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Gator Mike

Guys I like:

Mark Mowers, C, Detroit
Jaroslav Bednar, LW, Florida
Ivan Novoseltsev, RW, Florida
Jiri Bicek, LW, New Jersey
Daniel Corso, C, Ottawa (...was he hurt last year?)
Todd Simpson, D, Phoenix
Brian Boucher, G, Phoenix
Daniel Tkaczuk, C, St. Louis
Todd Harvey, C, San Jose
Travis Green, C, Toronto

Old
10-01-2003, 12:44 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bruinette
I don't know.. but you can call me confused. Isn't Kultanen long gone?? And there are players on the available list that never played an NHL game! Am I missing something??

Lori
Doesn't matter whether they've ever played an NHL game or not. It matters because of their age/how many professional seasons they've played. That includes seasons in the minors. Once they qualify for protection/availability, the FO has to then decide who to protect and who to make available.

Kultanen was likely protected in case the B's found someone they wanted to pick up off waivers, because in order to pick someone off waivers, they have to unprotect a protected player.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:48 PM
sagginb

I agree...the B's would have to move up to get Boucher.
Boy the Bruins would really have a log pile of goalies then and this would be another year for Raycroft down on the farm...not sure.
I think I would pass on him myself because we signed Thomas and Potvin but if we were able to loose a goalie somehow then it might be worth it to try.
Shields has to be bought out and go with Raycroft and Potvin early and let the dust settle.
Now if we dive in head 1st and get Joseph then it might be worth the suffle but to just add another goalie who isn't a lock maybe not worth the risk/cost...IMO.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I'll be shocked if anybody takes Cujo with his contract...maybe...only maybe ...the Avs...

???

also some of the posters on the Leafs Board ain't too happy about Green being exposed...

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion...but if he can be a dependable faceoff guy...1.2 million isn't too steep..

Old
10-01-2003, 12:54 PM
sagginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Doesn't matter whether they've ever played an NHL game or not. It matters because of their age/how many professional seasons they've played. That includes seasons in the minors. Once they qualify for protection/availability, the FO has to then decide who to protect and who to make available.

Kultanen was likely protected in case the B's found someone they wanted to pick up off waivers, because in order to pick someone off waivers, they have to unprotect a protected player.

Peter Nordstrom wouldn't have worked for that???
Could this guy really be in the future plans?????
If it's true about Kultanen and we end up with someone then all will be ok.
So maybe the way to look at it is because we protected Kultanen then we might be looking to grab someone....hehehe!

Old
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Boston Bruno

Jukka

I think Jukka Huetenen of Nashville may be signed with a Euro team, but from what I saw from him with the Flames he could be a guy we could like. Does not offer much offensive skill, but the guy flys pretty good and throws pretty solid hits. He would be a good guy for an "Energy" line..

Old
10-01-2003, 12:56 PM
brianscot

I'd take a look at:

Todd Harvey - annoying guy for 10 minutes a night.

Travis Green - as mentioned earlier he's good on draws, number three type center if Zino is Providence bound.

Mattias Timander -- played better in columbus than on the island.

I'd respectfully pass on Boucher. He's had ample chances to the number one for two different franchises and couldnt keep the job in either place -- that sounds frightently familiar to other goalies already in town.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:01 PM
P. Bruinette

Send a message via Yahoo to P. Bruinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
he is still Bruins property like Kvartalnov...

as long as he's playing in Europe expect to see his name here annually..

it's just part of "the game"..
Thanks Wally. I've been confused about that one all summer. He signed in Europe but remained on the Free Agent list. That 'splains it.

Lori

Old
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot
I'd take a look at:

Todd Harvey - annoying guy for 10 minutes a night.

Travis Green - as mentioned earlier he's good on draws, number three type center if Zino is Providence bound.

Mattias Timander -- played better in columbus than on the island.

I'd respectfully pass on Boucher. He's had ample chances to the number one for two different franchises and couldnt keep the job in either place -- that sounds frightently familiar to other goalies already in town.
i think it was DKH that posted about how boucher has worked with allaire all summer, and that he's really come full circle with his game. i think he'd be a great chance to take, but i personally believe that the avs will be all over that. boucher to colorado, he gets his game back from a few years ago, and lacroix laughs all the way to the bank (while getting a 26 year old, #1 goalie)

Old
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
P. Bruinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
It would be nice if they could figure out a way to hang on to Kutlak. I liked what I saw of him last night...
I doubt anyone will pick him up. He's a stranger to the NHL world. We know how well he's playing now (what a game he played last night!), but I think he's safe. I'm counting on it. I do, however, agree that he should have been protected over Jar-no-good.

Lori

Old
10-01-2003, 01:09 PM
P. Bruinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess

Sorry.... had a brain cramp there. Forgot it was AHL and NHL experience. Hey, it's been a rough and busy week

As for Kultanen, I didn't realize he was still Bruins' property. Now I know. Ah.. always helps to know

Lori

Old
10-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Rumpy

Boucher - Should have never signed Potvin
Bouck - Small energy still young
Green - good 2nd line center for us 1.2 million
Harvey - Heart
Tkzacuk - The tools missing the toolbox
Novoseltsev - I think he would be my first pick I thought he'd be a 2nd lie scorer in the NHL
Balmocyhnk - Wasn't he a very highly ranked prospect maybe not in NEw Jersey he could flourish
Keefe - Liked the guy since junior maybe his pro game hasn't progressed
Willis - I remember when Tampa got him and a lot of people were mad we didn't here's our chance

Old
10-01-2003, 01:12 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
I doubt anyone will pick him up. He's a stranger to the NHL world. We know how well he's playing now (what a game he played last night!), but I think he's safe. I'm counting on it. I do, however, agree that he should have been protected over Jar-no-good.

Lori
You're right.
On paper he doesn't look like much:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...30&hubName=BOS

Old
10-01-2003, 01:18 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGrl819
Can we pick up Green or not since the Leafs are in our division?

Think Pittsburgh would be interested in Kutlak?

I can't believe we protected Kultanen and not Kutlak...even if we are going to sign Berard...
excellent call bostongrl!! green cannot be picked by us, since toronto is in our division. however, there's no rule against OC calling up a team that's out of our division, and offering up say a 6th round pick to them for selecting green and trading him over. that's how rob dimaio found his way to boston several years ago.

as for kutlak, i think a few teams may be interested, but the waiver draft usually comes and goes with little to no action. my personal opinion is that pittsburgh, chicago and washington could use about 10-15 of the Dmen on this list. whether they make a move is another story entirely.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:21 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:

Lori
Would you rather Kutlak be protected, the Bruins pick someone up off waivers, then unprotected Kutlak, only to have him picked up by another team? I would imagine it's quite the game... if a team protects a player, obviously, that guy is worth something to the team, so if that team picks up another player, they're unprotecting a player they consider 'valuable' where, as you said, Kutlak is a virtual unknown to most clubs... putting him on the protected list might draw unneeded attention to him, especially if he was later unprotected because of a waiver wire pickup by the B's. Hopefully, he'll be able to slide under the waiver wire radar and he'll remain with the organization.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:24 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy
...Balmocyhnk - Wasn't he a very highly ranked prospect maybe not in New Jersey he could flourish...
He might be fun to watch in Providence next season:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...700&hubName=NJ

"Is oozing with untapped offensive potential. Has deceptive speed, great hands, excellent vision and enough hockey sense to be a fine playmaker."
- TSN.CA

Old
10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy
Boucher - Should have never signed Potvin

I agree 100%

Man, I wish Potvin would have let in another 9 instead of posting a shutout against the Devils.

Here's what I am hoping.

- The Bruins move up by offering a pick or a prospect.
- Nashville or some other team selects Shields.
- Potvin is bought out.

The buy-out for Potvin will be approx. 1 mill, so with Boucher's 2 mill, thats only 3 million. Lower than Burke's salary and much lower then CUJO's!

Boucher/Raycroft looks awesome to me.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Rumpy

He Was High on THN Top Propects Not Long Ago

I thought that was him was to busy to do any research earlier if I rememeber maybe 2 years back he was top 10 on the THN hop 50 prospects list and might be worth a gamble still how old is he 23???

Closed Thread