HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2014, 06:36 PM
  #26
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,803
vCash: 500
19 and heading to a top 20 ranking after the tourament is done.

Bright future for the lass to say the least.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:37 PM
  #27
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
You're lucky you have such an understanding other half…
Well in a sense she would have to be..

you might be onto something.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:38 PM
  #28
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well in a sense she would have to be..

you might be onto something.
I didn't realize the double entendre in my post until it was too late.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:42 PM
  #29
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 1991
If she wasn't hot, how much headlines is she drawing?

Honest question.

Good for her...not taking anything away from her but it's a legit question.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
  #30
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If she wasn't hot, how much headlines is she drawing?

Honest question.

Good for her...not taking anything away from her but it's a legit question.
Like I said, first Canadian in 30 years to reach the semis of a GS event. Loads of potential. Only 19 years old.

As a Canadian sports fan and as a Canadian period, she makes me proud.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
  #31
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
I don't think my ear drums will be forgiving me for listening to Grimmie belch the word titaniUUUUUUUMMMMM in an otherwise good cover to a good song. I don't think my eyes will understand when my brain tells them that the redhead-who's-kinda-cute-in-that-youtube-video can never be seen again.

Please stop ruining things I love.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
  #32
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot
 
Barkert Downboy Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21,065
vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
That's what I mean. Raonic makes playing tennis look so hard - it is, of course, but Bouchard makes it look comparatively much more natural and easier. She has better "tennis sense," to use hockey parlance, and it's only going to get better as she gets more experience.
That's a perfect way to put it.

Genie, and Saviano said as much last match, seems to thrive and love playing the brighter the spotlight gets. It's really hard to remember she is only 19 years old. That composure and ability to rise to the occasion she possesses is an intangible that simply can't be taught. So many players; Oudin, Tomic, Wozniacki are a few good examples, have early success that just don't have the composure or mental fortitude to maintain it but it's just the opposite for Genie... hard to think anything other than the sky is the limit for her at this point. I want to temper my expectations but she's making it hard for all of us.

Milos really needs to improve his return game, and backhand if he wants to eventually break into the top 5 on the men's side.

Barkert Downboy Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:46 PM
  #33
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I don't think my ear drums will be forgiving me for listening to Grimmie belch the word titaniUUUUUUUMMMMM in an otherwise good cover to a good song. I don't think my eyes will understand when my brain tells them that the redhead-who's-kinda-cute-in-that-youtube-video can never be seen again.

Please stop ruining things I love.
Grimmie is a lot better now and she is ridiculously cute. I like the fact that her covers aren't perfect every time and she's one of the few YT artists who don't auto tune the hell out of everything they do.

I had the Madilyn Bailey cover up at first but changed it - I'm pro-Grimmie!

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
  #34
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot
 
Barkert Downboy Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21,065
vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For this reason I find it very frustrating watching him. How often does this guy double fault points and matches away.

Used to be a time when a coach would say "make the other guy beat you.."

tbh I lost interest in Tennis when the serve and nothing else guys started ruling the roost. I see Raonic as that.
Raonic does tend to get exposed often, especially against the top players during important points, no question. Very error prone when his opponent is able to deeply return his serve as well. Needs a much more effective all around game.

Barkert Downboy Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:48 PM
  #35
gqmixmaster
Registered User
 
gqmixmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 50
what channel is covering the game? I can't find it in my guide on shaw

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
  #36
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
That's a perfect way to put it.

Genie, and Saviano said as much last match, seems to thrive and love playing the brighter the spotlight gets. It's really hard to remember she is only 19 years old. That composure and ability to rise to the occasion she possesses is an intangible that simply can't be taught. So many players; Oudin, Tomic, Wozniacki are a few good examples, have early success that just don't have the composure or mental fortitude to maintain it but it's just the opposite for Genie... hard to think anything other than the sky is the limit for her at this point. I want to temper my expectations but she's making it hard for all of us.

Milos really needs to improve his return game, and backhand if he wants to eventually break into the top 5 on the men's side eventually.
Problem with Raonic is he's still very raw. Bouchard comparatively is a lot more refined already. Raonic is basically the male equivalent of the Williams' sisters before they learned how to really play the game at a high level.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  #37
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyMcOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
what channel is covering the game? I can't find it in my guide on shaw
I can't find it either...

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  #38
Oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
what channel is covering the game? I can't find it in my guide on shaw
tsn/tsn2

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
  #39
Da McBomb
Registered User
 
Da McBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
Can she play defence?

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
  #40
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyMcOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
tsn/tsn2
whoops, thought 730 est

was so confused

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:53 PM
  #41
Oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
whoops, thought 730 est

was so confused
The match starts 6:38pm pst.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:09 PM
  #42
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,730
vCash: 500
I'm going to watch with a "pleasantly surprise me" attitude. She's a clear underdog and I don't expect her to win today, but if she does, she has a legitimate chance at winning it all. The other finalist will be a weaker player than Li Na.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Problem with Raonic is he's still very raw. Bouchard comparatively is a lot more refined already. Raonic is basically the male equivalent of the Williams' sisters before they learned how to really play the game at a high level.
The biggest problem for Raonic is that the current top 6 is arguably the strongest in tennis history. He just doesn't have the skillset to take on complete players like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. Also, Williams was a 6 time Grand Slam winner at the same age as Raonic...

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
  #43
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'm going to watch with a "pleasantly surprise me" attitude. She's a clear underdog and I don't expect her to win today, but if she does, she has a legitimate chance at winning it all. The other finalist will be a weaker player than Li Na.

The biggest problem for Raonic is that the current top 6 is arguably the strongest in tennis history. He just doesn't have the skillset to take on complete players like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. Also, Williams was a 6 time Grand Slam winner at the same age as Raonic...
Yeah, not saying Raonic will be anywhere near as good as they were. Just saying his game reminds me a lot of the raw unrefined power game they had early on in their careers.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:35 PM
  #44
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YEG
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 499
The thread prefix scared me into thinking there was an Oilers game tonight...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:37 PM
  #45
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
The thread prefix scared me into thinking there was an Oilers game tonight...
I wouldn't mind playing Bouchard over Ryan Smyth, at least she has speed.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
  #46
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,853
vCash: 500
Go China!

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:43 PM
  #47
SephF
5-14-6-1
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If she wasn't hot, how much headlines is she drawing?

Honest question.

Good for her...not taking anything away from her but it's a legit question.
I think it has more to do with the fact that she's Canadian...

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
  #48
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If she wasn't hot, how much headlines is she drawing?

Honest question.

Good for her...not taking anything away from her but it's a legit question.
She probably wouldn't have the "Genie Army" which is a group of young Australian men who've been following her the whole tournament and they even have fight songs for her and stuff. They even tried to sing O' Canada after her wins, but they are still hammering down the words.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
  #49
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Let's try to keep this as not-babe-thread as possible because I do want it to stay open through the match tonight...
Says the guy with THE AVATAR!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
  #50
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyMcOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 50
don't let her break to start...

crap, already 2 games down.

that love-break to begin with was not good

another easy break...

i don't know if I can continue to watch this


Last edited by AlowlyMcOilersfan: 01-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.