HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread

Old
01-22-2014, 10:57 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
that backhand is so sharp...

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Nothing to be ashamed about, Genie! Amazing tournament, amazingly bright future.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
That was like watching an Oilers game.

But seriously. Good for her. Impressive.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Competed very well against what is, frankly, a far superior player.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

hopefully an excellent learning experience for Eugenie

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Service game let her down today, but it was a good learning experience.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:17 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Good effort in the 2nd set... looks like she likely has a very bright future in the sport.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Service game let her down today, but it was a good learning experience.
Which is weird cause she was killing it before today. Happens though.

Hopefully she helps popularize tennis in Canada

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Competed very well against what is, frankly, a far superior player.
Basically this. At least she improved as the match went on.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

There's no shame in losing to Li Na who is at the top of her game right now. It'll be a great learning experience for Bouchard. She really needs to work on that serve and forehand, but she has a strong mental approach which should serve her well going forward.

Tennis is such an underrated sport.
It seems that Canadians are really starting to catch onto it with Raonic and Bouchard becoming prominent but this is the golden age of tennis IMO. I don't think that there has ever been such a dominant quartet of players at the top of the sport with Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray all playing at an extremely high level at the same time. There has been some epic matches between the four over the past 5 years or so.
Women's tennis is kind of boring to me. Of course they are nice to look at, but the quality is general pretty poor nowadays. They hit like a bunch of girls outside of Serena Williams and the screeching especially by Sharapova and Azarenka are unbearable to listen to.

The one problem is that all the elite players at least on the mens side are European so it's not quite as popular in North America as it used to be, but these young Canadians are giving the sport some much needed exposure in Canada so that's a big step in the right direction. It would be nice to see some Americans knocking on the door, but I don't see any young Americans with elite potential unfortunately.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:47 AM
nexttothemoon
10 again

I don't really follow tennis... at all... but I watched this match (well halfway through anyway) and I was impressed by the athleticism shown by Bouchard.

I know she lost but to me she looked really solid out there in her ability to get to the ball and make some solid returns.

Maybe I just haven't watched enough (as in at all really) but she looks quite good to be only 19 and it looks to me that she isn't THAT far below her opponent who is 12 years older and much more experienced than her.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Which is weird cause she was killing it before today. Happens though.

Hopefully she helps popularize tennis in Canada
Its an interesting statement. Tennis was popular in Canada. Courts crowded across the country for decades. Finding that court with openings used to be hard to do. I drove to tennis courts out in the country towns to get some court time in. You just couldn't get a court. We'd come in at 11pm and hope they'd leave the lights on for awhile thats how hard it was to get any court time.

I stopped playing around 5years ago. It seems like everybody stopped..

Last number of years its odd how empty tennis courts are relative to what they used to be.

It does seem young people just aren't playing the sport. The grassroots has bigtime fallen off. This was never the case previously anytime during my life.

As far as the tennis disappointing womens matches today. Neither one was even a contest. Its sometimes frustrating watching womens tennis for this reason and it often seems spirit is so easily broken. Not talking about the Canadian as much as the other semifinal which wasn't even contested at any point in the match. you really shouldn't get blowouts like this in the semifinals of a grand slam. Thats pretty much an ongoing indictment of womens tennis. How often the topseeds go down easy and how often the finals are contested by less than likely candidates. That isn't exciting as much as its something being awfully wrong with the consistency in competition. There are no great womens players at the moment. Looks completely open.

Final Rant. Andy Murray. Whats his deal? lol. EVERY time I watch this guy its like he's embroiled in his own little mental turmoil. and oh the melodrama. Are you injured there Murray or just being dramatic at every turn?

Man the contrast between the business like gentleman Federer and the continually boiling over Murray made it easy to pull for Federer again. I have to think Roger gets a bit annoyed at the nonstop antics across the net.

Murray always reminds me of a spoiled little brit brat kid who'd kick over the lawnchairs at the country club if the tea wasn't just right.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-23-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its an interesting statement. Tennis was popular in Canada. Courts crowded across the country for decades. Finding that court with openings used to be hard to do. I drove to tennis courts out in the country towns to get some court time in. You just couldn't get a court. We'd come in at 11pm and hope they'd leave the lights on for awhile thats how hard it was to get any court time.

I stopped playing around 5years ago. It seems like everybody stopped..

Last number of years its odd how empty tennis courts are relative to what they used to be.

It does seem young people just aren't playing the sport. The grassroots has bigtime fallen off. This was never the case previously anytime during my life.

As far as the tennis disappointing womens matches today. Neither one was even a contest. Its sometimes frustrating watching womens tennis for this reason and it often seems spirit is so easily broken. Not talking about the Canadian as much as the other semifinal which wasn't even contested at any point in the match. you really shouldn't get blowouts like this in the semifinals of a grand slam. Thats pretty much an ongoing indictment of womens tennis. How often the topseeds go down easy and how often the finals are contested by less than likely candidates. That isn't exciting as much as its something being awfully wrong with the consistency in competition. There are no great womens players at the moment. Looks completely open.

Final Rant. Andy Murray. Whats his deal? lol. EVERY time I watch this guy its like he's embroiled in his own little mental turmoil. and oh the melodrama. Are you injured there Murray or just being dramatic at every turn?

Man the contrast between the business like gentleman Federer and the continually boiling over Murray made it easy to pull for Federer again. I have to think Roger gets a bit annoyed at the nonstop antics across the net.

Murray always reminds me of a spoiled little brit brat kid who'd kick over the lawnchairs at the country club if the tea wasn't just right.
Agree with everything.

As for Andy... Murray just came off back surgery a few months ago and this was his first real tournament (other than a minor warm-up to the Aus Open a couple weeks ago); but I've never been a fan of the finger gnawing, racket biting and grimacing/hollering/talking to himself, growling, snarling etc. after every unforced error Andy commits. And I really, really don't like his mom, so there's that lol.

I'm a Fed fan so I'm just happy he's finally looking good again after that horrid 2013 of his. Healthy back, new racket and Stefan Edberg have paid massive dividends.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 11:34 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
There's no shame in losing to Li Na who is at the top of her game right now. It'll be a great learning experience for Bouchard. She really needs to work on that serve and forehand, but she has a strong mental approach which should serve her well going forward.

Tennis is such an underrated sport.
It seems that Canadians are really starting to catch onto it with Raonic and Bouchard becoming prominent but this is the golden age of tennis IMO. I don't think that there has ever been such a dominant quartet of players at the top of the sport with Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray all playing at an extremely high level at the same time. There has been some epic matches between the four over the past 5 years or so.
Women's tennis is kind of boring to me. Of course they are nice to look at, but the quality is general pretty poor nowadays. They hit like a bunch of girls outside of Serena Williams and the screeching especially by Sharapova and Azarenka are unbearable to listen to.

The one problem is that all the elite players at least on the mens side are European so it's not quite as popular in North America as it used to be, but these young Canadians are giving the sport some much needed exposure in Canada so that's a big step in the right direction. It would be nice to see some Americans knocking on the door, but I don't see any young Americans with elite potential unfortunately.
Tennis is a great sport when it is played with an exciting style.

Pete Sampras, by all accounts an incredibly good guy, played such a boring style of play in the 90s it sort of turned me off the game for the decade.

I'd say Borg/McEnroe/Connors/Lendl in the late 70s early 80s match Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray.

The patriot in me is cheering for Bouchard.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 02:24 AM
oilwings

Bumping this thread again.

Genie into another Grand Slam Semi vs her idol growing up. Sherapova happens to be my favorite women player.

So who's watching the match on thursday?

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 02:40 AM
SLURVE

I like her attitude. She is having fun playing tennis but at the same time, she hates losing. From an innocent smile to an explosive yell after a great point, whatever the fight, she is very competitive. I believe she sets herself apart from other Canadian players (male or female, past/present) with her strong will and drive to be great and she is motivated to do so. Good luck Eugenie.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:48 PM
GMofOilers

Cant wait to watch these 2 go at it. Big fan of both Go Canada Go

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:57 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
cant wait to see what shes wearing..knowmsayin

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:29 PM
OilerPensfan94
Problem?

vCash: 550
Let's go Genie!!!

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:10 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Damn she's good. Wins first set, great point to get back the break she gave up in the 2nd set.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Zaddy Zads

Christina Grimmie in a GDT? I approve

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

I can believe she's nearly forced at tiebreak after being down 5-2 (I think)

Here's a tracker
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sl...&promo=Summary Scoreboard:live_scores

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I can believe she's nearly forced at tiebreak after being down 5-2 (I think)

Here's a tracker
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sl...&promo=Summary Scoreboard:live_scores

5-3 I think.

Interesting match. Bouchard has been making some mistakes, but Sharapova isn't making her pay for them.

Kudos to Bouchard for fighting back. She's playing with more composure than the far more experienced and accomplished Sharapova.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:43 AM
OilerPensfan94
Problem?

vCash: 550
Damn .

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Too bad, great run, took the 1st set and pushed Sharopova(sp), well done from the 20 year old.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote